ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA ref'ing

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

NBA ref'ing 

Post#1 » by cram » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 am

Tonight's game was REALLY questionable. Not saying the raps would have won, but MAN did the ref'ing favour the celtics.

Anyway, i love the raptors and the NBA in general but is there ANY question that superstars get calls over non-superstar players? It makes me sick...seriously. I love the NBA, but honestly prefer college ball because the refs seem unbiased and everyone is playing by the same rules. In the NBA lebron/bosh/pierce/whoever get calls that no one else would get.....and it makes the game crap.

Anyway, just a rant...but particularly on-topic considering tonight's game. Thoughts?
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,599

Re: NBA ref'ing 

Post#2 » by AbC? » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 am

NBA refs are on par with WWE referees
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#3 » by tylrrr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 am

I expect superstars to get more calls and to a point it isn't a big deal. But when KG and the Celtics can cry and stomp their feet like a bunch of toddlers and get calls changed 30 seconds after the fact I have a serious issue.
Dogbert
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Dogbert » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:46 am

tylrrr wrote:I expect superstars to get more calls and to a point it isn't a big deal. But when KG and the Celtics can cry and stomp their feet like a bunch of toddlers and get calls changed 30 seconds after the fact I have a serious issue.

I think that happened twice tonight. Ridiculous.

KG can pretty much do whatever he wants on the basketball court and get away with it.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#5 » by Death Knight » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 am

I know Pierce, but with KG...........forget the trash talking, because I'm fine with it, but the fact that he didn't get a tech for wagging his finger at Calderon says it all. What happen to the Mutombo rule?
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#6 » by tylrrr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:51 am

Death Knight wrote:What happen to the Mutombo rule?

The "ANYTHING'S POSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBLE" marketing campaign happened.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#7 » by Death Knight » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 am

Dogbert wrote:I think that happened twice tonight. Ridiculous.

KG can pretty much do whatever he wants on the basketball court and get away with it.

1. KG crying about a goal tending on a shooting foul, which the refs didn't initial call.

2. Bosh took a charging foul on some Celtic player in the 2nd half, which was changed to a blocking foul 5 hours later.

Are those the ones you are referring to?
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#8 » by Anatomize » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 am

Ray Allen bulldozes over AP for a complete no call.

AP gets FOULED HORRIBLY on a 3 pointer at the end of the game, four point play not called. (Check NBA.com RAPS highlights, its shown VERY clearly he got hit hard and fell down).

The changed call from a charge to a blocking foul about 15 seconds after the play happened (absolutely disgusting one sided officiating).

Goal tend call was correct, but initially they weren't going to call anything until KG cried.

KG finger wag and taunting in Calderon's face without any call from the referees.

JO Blocks Glen Davis cleanly all ball and gets called for a foul.

JO gets blocked by Leon Powe, which was actually a terrible foul and he completely ripped his arm off (I saw the replay 3 times on the USA network where their homer announcers screamed all ball several times to try and justify it).

I also don't know if any of you notice but when KG is fronting bosh, he's holding onto him and grabbing his shorts and tugging at him all the time during cuts.

There were a lot of extra plays that pissed me off tonight, but too much for my recollection.
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#9 » by right between the eyes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:29 pm

There were 2 occasions in this game where Garnett whined about a call and then the refs had a little meeting and changed the call. Absolutely ridiculous. One was were Garnett said it should have been goaltending and 1. The other I believe was an out of bounds play. I thought that Superstar calls were a thing of the past especially with the whole Donaghy situation having just happened but I guess the NBA doesn't care. Who knows a couple of calls go our way and things could've been very different.
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#10 » by BigShotBob13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Oh and another play by KG? His over aggressive "defense" on Bosh in the corner. 4th Q Bosh receives the ball and KG crowds him to the point where he can't even turn around to face the basket. Bosh loses the ball, TO, ball goes the other way. I was in disbelief. In any other game that's a foul, for KG, its just another play. Unbelievable.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by 08HEMI » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:05 pm

I hate it, its getting to the point for me that I no longer will even bother watching, whats the point?
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#12 » by miruss2001 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:38 pm

The NBA has a credibility issue and refereeing is at its heart. Terrible to watch.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#13 » by JN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Maybe it was worse then normal... its also typical for the home team to get breaks.... and we got a few decent calls for us in the fourth.

There are other things to be happy about and concerned about in this performance.
jsmith
Senior
And1: 9

Post#14 » by jsmith » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:20 pm

i think the main thing for me is that that the refs should take a stand and say that none of the cheap little cheats that a lot of players use on defense are not allowed anymore. grabbing for instance has to go, especially in the last minutes of game. the refs are reluctant to call these things because they feel that it will affect the outcome of the game. IT SHOULD, that is not allowed. I remember the finals last year, the celtics would always grab and step out on screens on defense knowing that they will not get called for it. this is unacceptable.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#15 » by dacrusha » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow. What a bunch of crybabies... you guys should watch cricket or tennis or some other sissy sport to soothe your broken hearts.

Raps shouldn't blow a 16-point lead, PERIOD. 2 or 3 bad shouldn't make a difference and besides it's called home cooking; the Raptors get it all the time.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
wazabifuzz
Starter
And1: 599

Post#16 » by wazabifuzz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

must be the celts secretly pay the refs... =p
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#17 » by Buyaka » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

dacrusha wrote:Wow. What a bunch of crybabies... you guys should watch cricket or tennis or some other sissy sport to soothe your broken hearts.

Raps shouldn't blow a 16-point lead, PERIOD. 2 or 3 bad shouldn't make a difference and besides it's called home cooking; the Raptors get it all the time.

I urge you to play 1 game of cricket where you get hit with the ball and you'll no longer be calling it sissy. It looks a lot easier than it seems.
Greg Foster Jr.
Junior
And1: 112

Post#18 » by Greg Foster Jr. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:43 pm

dacrusha wrote:Wow. What a bunch of crybabies... you guys should watch cricket or tennis or some other sissy sport to soothe your broken hearts.

I think most Raptors fans aren't blaming the loss on the referees... this is just a discussion on how crazy it is that the Celtics can actually tell a ref that they made the wrong call, and the ref will turn around and change it. (especially since the calls they changed were right in the first place, or at least VERY debatable) I've never seen refs cave into players yelling at them before, but the C's got them to do it twice last night
Top_Gun
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Top_Gun » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Why is your nick Greg Foster Jr ? LOL

Anyways, i think Stern wants to make a dynasty and what easier team than the Celtics.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#20 » by 5DOM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Top_Gun wrote:Why is your nick Greg Foster Jr ? LOL

Anyways, i think Stern wants to make a dynasty and what easier team than the Celtics.

he probably just wants the old rivalry back

Return to Toronto Raptors