ImageImageImageImageImage

Daily Papers - November 11, 2008

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Coolhandbud
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Daily Papers - November 11, 2008 

Post#1 » by Coolhandbud » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 am

The Sun

Raptors schooled

Toronto's 16-point lead and its hopes of dealing the Celtics a shocker at home ended in a 94-87 loss. As fast as the Raptors dried up, such as Jermaine O'Neal's season-high 19 points in the first half limited to four afterward, Pierce came alive with 22 in the final quarter. With Garnett jawing and gesturing at Raptors point guard Jose Calderon and whipping the TD Banknorth Garden into a frenzy, Boston showed why its 7-1 so far in search of a repeat.

KG the perfectionist

aww !@#$! it ... I'm not quoting this @#$!

Nuggets waive McDyess a week after trade

The Nuggets waived Antonio McDyess one week after they obtained him from Detroit along with Chauncey Billups and Cheikh Samb in a swap for Allen Iverson.

The Star

Pierce rips up Raptors

On a night when Garnett stationed himself in the shirt of Toronto all-star Chris Bosh for the duration, Raptor coach Sam Mitchell countered by essentially ignoring Bosh on the offensive end. "As a decoy," was Bosh's kind terminology for his role.

But seven months after openly criticizing his coach's tactical decisions in a five-game playoff loss to Orlando, Bosh wondered aloud about last night's strategizing.

"I think I can be utilized – utilize myself – a lot better, and put (Garnett) in the post and just (see) what happens," said Bosh. "I think we could have ran some more cross screens. We ran the cross screen (for Bosh) one time and we got a foul, and we didn't go back to it. We kept doing the same thing."

The Globe

Raptors Pierced

"We just didn't make plays at the end of the game," Mitchell said. "We turned down a host of shots. We didn't make plays and [the fourth quarter] is when guys have to turn it up and make plays."

"They gave us opportunities to attack the gaps and we stopped being aggressive and attack the seams," Mitchell said. " We know Kevin is not going to leave Chris, but that gives us a chance to step into the seams and make plays and we stopped doing it."

The Post

Celtics show heart of champion in comeback victory over Raptors

Paul Pierce scored 22 of his 36 points in the fourth quarter to lead Boston. His performance overshadowed Jermaine O'Neal's best performance as a Raptor: 23 points and 11 rebounds.

Warriors F Harrington placed on inactive list

Perhaps in an attempt to quiet his clamoring for a trade, Golden State Warriors forward Al Harrington was placed on the inactive list with a strained lower back prior to Friday's 109-104 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.

Boston Globe

Their captain became a quarter-master

It was, as Doc Rivers said, the kind of night the Celtics had been waiting for out of their captain. Every shot seemed like a big one in a quarter that saw Pierce hit seven of nine attempts and drill two from 3-point range.

Kendrick Perkins crashes Jermaine O’Neal’s party

According to Perkins, these confrontations with O’Neal are getting serious.

“There’s always words exchanged,” he said. “We do have something personal. That’s how we’ve been since we’ve been matching up. But you know, it is what it is.”

Australia News

Jawai's NBA career rests on heart test results

His manager, Aaron Fearne, says Jawai had more tests last week.

"He's obviously scared ... to have someone say that 'you've got to shut it down and not do anything for now' is definitely concerning, because you just don't know where your career is going," Mr Fearne said.

"I'm sure there'll probably be further tests down the track but I'm sure these ones will give us a lot of answers."

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Re: Daily Papers - November 11, 2008 

Post#2 » by spykelee » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 am

nice to have them up early, thanks bud.

Love the sunshine!
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm

"We just didn't make plays at the end of the game," Mitchell said. "We turned down a host of shots. We didn't make plays and [the fourth quarter] is when guys have to turn it up and make plays."

*sigh*
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by 08HEMI » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 pm

But seven months after openly criticizing his coach's tactical decisions in a five-game playoff loss to Orlando, Bosh wondered aloud about last night's strategizing.

"I think I can be utilized – utilize myself – a lot better, and put (Garnett) in the post and just (see) what happens," said Bosh. "I think we could have ran some more cross screens. We ran the cross screen (for Bosh) one time and we got a foul, and we didn't go back to it. We kept doing the same thing."

In the end, though, Bosh signalled regret for not voicing his concern with the game plan while the game was still winnable.

"I just have to say it next time. I was locked into what we were doing. I think next time I'll ... say, `Hey, let's run this,'" he said. "I feel like I want to be the best player on the court every night, and if I feel that I can score or make a play for somebody else, I'll be more aggressive next time."

Its time for Sam Mitchell to go
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#5 » by miruss2001 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 pm

A team of marginal talent like our simply cannot withstand a marginal coach. Great coaches elevate marginal teams. Mitchell has shown he can't do that.
Bang' Em Smurf
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Bang' Em Smurf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 pm

thanks for this
Theta64
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Theta64 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:08 pm

When will BC finally come to his senses and fire Sam. It seems like he's more in love with Sam than with Bargnani.
This is one of the most important movies you will ever watch. Watch it free at google video.
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#8 » by rise of raptors » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:15 pm

When you have CB4 questioning Sam's tactics, its time for the Smitch to go.

I don't want to put everyone in a 'panac' mode, but its stuff like this that determines whether Bosh stays or leaves in '10.
08HEMI
Banned User

Post#9 » by 08HEMI » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Notice how Dave is the only writer with enough balls to write about the poor play calling and highlighting the player frustration?

Doug Smith is probably writing a blog right now on how great mitchell is and how weak our players are.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#10 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm

08HEMI wrote:Notice how Dave is the only writer with enough balls to write about the poor play calling and highlighting the player frustration?

Doug Smith is probably writing a blog right now on how great mitchell is and how weak our players are.

To say Feschuk is the only writer with enough balls to write about this stuff, is like patting Marty York on the back for his great reporting. Dave simply stirs the pot and draws his own conclusions by reading too much into everything. If, while watching TV he noticed at halftime that Jose didn't offer Kapono a Gatorade then the next day he'd be writing about the huge rift that has developed between the two.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#11 » by gangstaff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Remember how Doc Rivers was one of the worst coaches in the league until he got the big 3? I'm not saying Sam doesn't deserve some blame but it wasn't coaching that beat us last night...KG turned their players and arena into a pack of frenzied dogs and PP destroyed us one on one. That has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with having better players. At the end of a close game we don't have the elite one on one player like PP to win us games. I had hoped Bosh could be that guy, but I think its time to put that to bed. Until BC turns Bargs into an elite swing we can't win these type of games.

Everyone go to a Remembrance Day ceremony today! LEST WE FORGET.
Hephaestus114
Senior
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Hephaestus114 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Doug Smith is a guy who knows where his meal ticket is and isn't above giving a stroke to get ahead.

Either he's a total "morAn" and doesn't have an iota of basketball knowledge in his brain, or he's deliberately toeing the company line so he continues to have access to the team. It's not like basketball reporting requires a high level of journalistic integrity. If Doug reports b.s., the worst that can happen is a bunch of us RealGmers get riled up.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#13 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I've always defended Mitchell, but Doug Smith's jock-riding is just too much.

He spent half his blog today apologizing for some suspect coaching by Sam.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2008/1 ... ng-th.html

Action: Kapono on Pierce.

Reaction: Fans want to storm Sam’s office

A bad matchup? Yeah, sure is. But let me ask you this: Why do you think Jamario Moon, who had bitten on just about every pump fake he’s seen in his NBA career and who gives up more blow-bys than just about any wing on the team, would have been better? Or maybe Joey Graham would have not had the series of nightly brain cramps he often does? Or maybe Anthony Parker would have all of a sudden got up in Pierce’s chest and used his lateral quickness to keep him in front of him?

And that’s not even taking into consideration that they needed Kapono on offence because he was the only guy taking – and making – the mid-range shots the Celtics were giving up. Sure, maybe Jamario would have all of a sudden decided not to shoot three-pointers every time he shot it but that’s probably a long-shot.

Here’s the thing in a nutshell: Pierce, who made an array of very difficult shots (you think that game-breaking, twisting, reverse layup at the end was easy?) is better than anyone Toronto has. Pretty simple, no?

Action: Bosh’s fourth quarter

Reaction: Who’s to blame?

This is the biggie. Why didn’t Bosh get the ball in the fourth quarter?

I can’t tell you how much of an over-simplification it is for anyone to suggest: “They should have thrown the ball to Bosh every time down the floor.” It’s not that easy when there’s a guy like Kevin Garnett stuck to him like glue.

But could they have done more? Sure. Maybe a few more cross screens would have freed up Bosh but I kind of doubt it. The Celtics defended him pretty much perfectly. That’s what good teams, teams with a championship to their credit, do.

Let me ask this: Did Bosh dominate the ball when Toronto was taking its 16-point lead? Nope. Did other Raptors make plays in that stretch? Yep. Did anyone make a play in the fourth? Not enough of them. Could Jose have turned the corner and find open teammates? Probably.

Bosh didn’t have a great fourth quarter because the Celtics didn’t let him.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#14 » by The Notic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:48 pm

wait, what his reasoning for having kapono on pierce instead of kapono? lateral quicks? hahahahahahaha. smith is (Please Use More Appropriate Word).
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#15 » by MrBojangelz71 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:02 pm

If you go back and watch the game again, you will notice that Kapono's D on Pierce wasn't that bad. He kept him in front and contested on most shots. When Pierce is hitting his fade away there isn't much you can do to defend it. Would doubling him of helped, maybe but then you are leaving another scoring option open and we probably would have gotten hurt in another way. Personally it looked like Pierce was settling for jumpers thru out most of the night. It wasn't untill the late stages did he start making them. The only reason I would have changed Kapono for Moon would be arm length but in terms of not letting PP blow buy us on the perimeter, Kapono didn't do a bad job by any means. Some shots can't be defended and a fade away jumper is one of them.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#16 » by timdunkit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

gangstaff wrote:Remember how Doc Rivers was one of the worst coaches in the league until he got the big 3? I'm not saying Sam doesn't deserve some blame but it wasn't coaching that beat us last night...KG turned their players and arena into a pack of frenzied dogs and PP destroyed us one on one. That has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with having better players. At the end of a close game we don't have the elite one on one player like PP to win us games. I had hoped Bosh could be that guy, but I think its time to put that to bed. Until BC turns Bargs into an elite swing we can't win these type of games.

Doc rivers has a a defensive guru in his staff, and if you watched the game (i cant spell his name right), Thibeault was frenzy and yelling of the bench.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#17 » by bakafool » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:08 pm

gangstaff wrote:Remember how Doc Rivers was one of the worst coaches in the league until he got the big 3? I'm not saying Sam doesn't deserve some blame but it wasn't coaching that beat us last night...KG turned their players and arena into a pack of frenzied dogs and PP destroyed us one on one. That has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with having better players. At the end of a close game we don't have the elite one on one player like PP to win us games. I had hoped Bosh could be that guy, but I think its time to put that to bed. Until BC turns Bargs into an elite swing we can't win these type of games.

PP killed us because JKap was guarding him. Bosh didn't get a whiff of the ball down the stretch. Our pick and roll offense was stalled by their D because that's the only thing we were running. Those mistakes can be attributed to poor coaching.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#18 » by The Notic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:11 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:If you go back and watch the game again, you will notice that Kapono's D on Pierce wasn't that bad. He kept him in front and contested on most shots. When Pierce is hitting his fade away there isn't much you can do to defend it. Would doubling him of helped, maybe but then you are leaving another scoring option open and we probably would have gotten hurt in another way. Personally it looked like Pierce was settling for jumpers thru out most of the night. It wasn't untill the late stages did he start making them. The only reason I would have changed Kapono for Moon would be arm length but in terms of not letting PP blow buy us on the perimeter, Kapono didn't do a bad job by any means. Some shots can't be defended and a fade away jumper is one of them.

no, it wasn't atrocious by any means. the effort was there and for the most part he kept him infront of him. the thing is, with a scorer like that, you can't give him the space he wants in those kind of situations. a lack of length and lateral quicks is just a bad formula. so long as he has that initial step of separation, he can basically do w/e he wants to. which he did.

basically, pierce wasn't even bothered. he got to wherever he wanted to whenever he wanted to. that's just bad no matter how you slice it.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#19 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:21 pm

timdunkit wrote:Doc rivers has a a defensive guru in his staff, and if you watched the game (i cant spell his name right), Thibeault was frenzy and yelling of the bench.

Tom Thibodeau. I believe he is the highest paid assistant coach in the NBA - and worth every cent!
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#20 » by timdunkit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:52 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
timdunkit wrote:Doc rivers has a a defensive guru in his staff, and if you watched the game (i cant spell his name right), Thibeault was frenzy and yelling of the bench.

Tom Thibodeau. I believe he is the highest paid assistant coach in the NBA - and worth every cent!

Thanks for the name, yea the guy is an absolute genius. He is the one made the gameplan to stop Lebron and Kobe. With a guy like him, Mitchell needed to change the offensive scheme after the half to throw something new on him.

Side note - hate is a very addicting thing it seems since yesterday i just can't stop hating on Sam

Return to Toronto Raptors