ImageImageImageImageImage

Have people forgotten how good Gerald Wallace was?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

The Boshpit!
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Have people forgeten how good Gerald Wallace was? 

Post#21 » by The Boshpit! » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 pm

At the moment we have Jose Calderon and Jason Kapono signed through 2010. We would also have to resign Bosh and maybe JO if he is still producing by then. Thats approximately 45 million between those 4 players. Add Wallaces' contract to that and we are brought up to a total of 55 million. The salary cap will probably be around 65-68 million leaving us only 10-13 million to sign 8 players. Therefore, by trading for Wallace, we won't have much flexability in the 2010 off season and definately will not be able to sign a JJ or Wade type player.
imgrindin247
Rookie

Re: Have people forgeten how good Geral Wallace was? 

Post#22 » by imgrindin247 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:57 pm

EventHorizon wrote:Even if the Raptors do trade for him, when JO expires in 2010 the Raptors will have the money to go after JJ or even Wade. If things go well for the Raptors, MLSE would even go into luxury tax to bring a player like JJ or Wade and resign JO.

If the Raptors trade for Wallace, they DO NOT handcuff themselves in the future. For what he produces 9 million is cheap.
Current:
$8,287,500
$9,075,000
$9,862,500
$10,650,000
$11,437,500 (Player Option)

Just because the Raptors trade for him does not mean an impact player will not be signed come 2010.

2010 is a huge FA class, but I don't expect us to be major players in terms of being able to get one of the stars to sign with us. We've historically never been able to do so and I don't expect that to change. The major stars would drive up the value of the other FA's as well, so unless you end up signing a major star, you're likely going to end up overpaying for a semi-star.

This is a brutal contract for someone with serious health concerns. It's not the money that's as big of a deal as it is the years left on it.

I would only take on the risk of it if I gave away scraps to get him.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#23 » by Quiet-Storm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:00 pm

imgrindin247 wrote:
Quiet-Storm wrote:
RINSE wrote:If you're trying to prove a point, especially justifying why we should try to obtain a player, it's probably a good idea to not use the word "WAS" when referring to his production.

Where does Mike James fit into all of this? He left as a FA. We traded CV for TJ Ford, because we needed a pointguard and the drafting of Bargnani made CV redundant. The Bucks traded Ford because they had Mo Williams ready to take over as their pointguard.

There's just no way you deal Bargnani for someone that may not even be healthy and has a bad contract. If you want to look at a team that gets ruined by having no cap flexibility, look no further than the New York Knicks. They took on the contracts of Marbury, QRich and Randolph in trades and signed Curry and Jerome James to awful deals as well. Most of these players are or were very talented, but on the open market have little or no value due to their contracts.

The NBA is as much a business as it is basketball.

Memory mixup. Meant Villanueva. The whole Mike James / Rafer Alston / TJ ford milkshake gave me a temporary brain fart
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Quiet-Storm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:01 pm

The Boshpit! wrote:At the moment we have Jose Calderon and Jason Kapono signed through 2010. We would also have to resign Bosh and maybe JO if he is still producing by then. Thats approximately 45 million between those 4 players. Add Wallaces' contract to that and we are brought up to a total of 55 million. The salary cap will probably be around 65-68 million leaving us only 10-13 million to sign 8 players. Therefore, by trading for Wallace, we won't have much flexability in the 2010 off season and definately will not be able to sign a JJ or Wade type player.

Wallace makes Kapono more than expendable. If we had Wallace here it would be possible to shop Kapono. There are many Western teams especially who really need a perimiter threat. Kapono in my opinion cancels himself out. He can shoot but his defence is so terrible that you cant have him on the court at key times. (Case in point last night when Pierce at him for supper). Kapono has a beefy contract. If Wallace came and we found a taker for Kapono, then our salary situation not as ugly since we could try to exchange kapono for a player or two who fills some glaring holes in our Bench.

The Dead weight like Joey has got to go though
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#25 » by Hendrix » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 pm

1. Doesn;t fit into our offence
2. Terrible contract
3. Injury issues.

I would have liked the guy when we had Bargnani and Bosh playing down low, but he does not fit into our offence with Bosh, and J.O. Then throw away any opportunity of anything happening in 2010. We're basically saying this is the team we want to contend with, and it's not good enough.

Btw, where you wrote about our Pg, SG, SF etc... The game is not played on paper, and some of it isn't true. He's not some lockdown perimiter defender, he gets steals and some blocks.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#26 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:20 pm

WE NEED A SLASHING 3 WHAT IS WALLACE, A SLASHING 3. how does he not fit our offense? explain this to me youd rather moon stand at the 3 point line and jack up 3's? when hes supposed to take it to the hole your ridiculous
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
jsbola
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#27 » by jsbola » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 pm

The thing with Wallace is that his greatest strength is also his greatest downside. You have the love his hustle, athleticism and willingness to give up his body trying to make plays but thats exactly the same reasons for his health concerns. He will try to jump on or over anyone in his way to get a block, its amazing but really careless as well considering his concussion history. If there wasn't an injury history, this is a no brainer but there is and I can't justify it in my head unless theres other prospects in the deal.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#28 » by Hendrix » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:WE NEED A SLASHING 3 WHAT IS WALLACE, A SLASHING 3. how does he not fit our offense? explain this to me youd rather moon stand at the 3 point line and jack up 3's? when hes supposed to take it to the hole your ridiculous

I didn't say anything about rather having Moon the Wallace.

Here's some stuff that a Bobcats fan had to say about his game.

Gerald is also uncoachable. Thats not to say he is a bad player, he is great at doing what he does. But he won't work in a system that requires a lot of offensive plays and defensive rotations. He is more of a "I want to do anything I want on offense and defense" kind of player. You'll notice that Morrison and Dudley are playing well on both ends of the court, because they are smart players and Morrison is a great passer. Larry Brown requires passing and vision out of his wings. Wallace has neither.

We run a team oriented half court offence. This is not a good fit for Wallace. He's more of a Nuggets, Suns, Knicks type player then a Spurs, Toronto, Pistons type player. We need some space inside for Bosh, and J.O and Wallace is not a good shooter to open up the court either. He also doesn't have that great of a handle where he could help break down defences.

So..

1. He doesn't work well in team offences, which we primarily run.
3. He's not a good passer, and ball movment is important in our offence.
2. He doesn't have enough of a handle where he could help us break down defences.
3. His weak jumpshooting doesn't help us keep the middle open for J.O, and bosh.
4. His contract, and injury issues suck, and could kill this team.
bigtime105
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by bigtime105 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 pm

I havent, hes overrated at best a 6th man on any contending team, his game is all about flopping around so he gets injured every season, theres no such thing as a healthy Wallace. IQ of 2. Pass

That being said hed be an upgrade at the 3 for us, so depends who we have to give up.
Carlos Rogers
Banned User

Post#30 » by Carlos Rogers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Kosta wrote:
Carlos Rogers wrote:Ya but his contract is terrible and even though I like him do u really think he'll put us
over the top? How many wins would he add.... id wait and see

Oh, a healthy Wallace would make this team A LOT better in the short term, the only question is whether his health can hold up and if his contract is worth taking on. Wallace would give us a viable 20 point threat on the wings, better rebounding, toughness and actual defense vs guys like Pierce, Johnson, etc...

I disagree I don't think he makes us A LOT better and hes not a 20 PPG especially on this team

I would rather have Stephen Jackson

a) Great contract that ends in 2010 not interfering with our cap space
b) Absolute warrior with Championship Pedigree who can Guard Lebron, Pierce, Prince etc
c) clutch can score and is mildly athletic

Some people are concerned with his Offense and him jacking a lot of 3's that has to do with Nellie Ball then it does Jack who can also play Point Forward which we've never really had

If we could keep Moon who brings us that athleticism I guarantee we could knock off Boston, Detroit, or Orlando in a 7 game series and possibly win the ECF because Jack is an Impact
player and fits on our team perfectly. Hes been in so many big games he would never wilt in Boston.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#31 » by Hendrix » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:46 pm

I agree with Carlos Rogers. Unfortunatly I don't think we could get captain Jack.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,298

Post#32 » by XTC » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Calderon
Parker
Jackson
Bosh
O'Neal

:o

a man can dream cant he? Jackson would be perfect for this team... too perfect...

wing man with terrific defense, ability to know down the 3, clutch as hell, and bring a real tough swagger??? mann i would KILLLL for that :o
Shammgod_
Pro Prospect
And1: 768

Post#33 » by Shammgod_ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 pm

yeah lets just trade Bargnani + Kapono + Joey + future 1st for Steve Jack & Harrington.

become Pacers pt.II
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Quiet-Storm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Are you guys on drugs.

Stephen Jackson is the heart and soul of the Warriors

No way in hell they give him up
gangstaff
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by gangstaff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 pm

How good is Wallace's perimeter D? Is he the type of guy you can tell to guard the opposing team's best player at the 1/2/3 spot, or is he more like Moon where he plays the passing lanes and gets blocks once guys have blown by him already?

Agreed that SJax would be great, but can't see us getting him.
Unsuccessful
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Unsuccessful » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:56 pm

southeasy wrote:yeah lets just trade Bargnani + Kapono + Joey + future 1st for Steve Jack & Harrington.

become Pacers pt.II

I've been thinking that for months...............
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#37 » by KG1585 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Gerald Wallace is a good player no doubt, but I just don`t see how he fits in with the Raps. He is not that great at creating his shot and is an average shooter. He is an upgrade to any of the wings that the Raps have, but to giving up a Bargnani for him would be a little too much.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#38 » by The Letter V » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 am

KG1585 wrote:Gerald Wallace is a good player no doubt, but I just don`t see how he fits in with the Raps. He is not that great at creating his shot and is an average shooter. He is an upgrade to any of the wings that the Raps have, but to giving up a Bargnani for him would be a little too much.

I think this is the quality more than anything we lack in any of our swingmen, so I hope if we do end up trading for someone, they can atleast do that on a consistent basis. I see Wallace as more of a open court finisher, rather than a classic isolation wing creator. Someone mentioned DeShawn Stevenson in another thread, and my personal feelings aside, he would be a good low cost solution.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Re: Have people forgotten how good Gerald Wallace was? 

Post#39 » by Death Knight » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 am

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/charlotte.htm

Financially, it's not so bad. 8.2M, 9.1M and 9.9M for the next 3 seasons isn't too bad for a player like Gerald Wallace. He is better than a lot of these bums out there who are asking for 10M+. It's only the last 2 seaons of his contract that starts to rise above the 10M mark, but even then it's not too bad.

So the only concern is an injury prone player with a long term contract. Take a chance or play it save...

As far as Stephen Jackson goes, I don't think he even wants to play in Toronto.
bigtime105
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Have people forgotten how good Gerald Wallace was? 

Post#40 » by bigtime105 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:35 am

Death Knight wrote:...
As far as Stephen Jackson goes, I don't think he even wants to play in Toronto.

Why not? hed have a chance to play with JO and probably get farther in the playoffs in the East then with Golden State in the west. Warriors arent nothing without Baron Davis and JAckson knows it.

Return to Toronto Raptors