ImageImageImageImageImage

Kelly Dwyer's look on last night's game:

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,223

Kelly Dwyer's look on last night's game: 

Post#1 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:57 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba,121191
Boston 94, Toronto 87

Sweet Eddie Harris in heaven, what a game.

The easy misconception is that the Toronto Raptors raced out to an early lead mainly because the upstart Raptors cared, and the defending champions from Boston needed to be prodded with a stick before competing. Hogwash. The Celtics cared, they tried, they worked, and they were bested. Boston made some mistakes, no doubt, but Toronto took that first half lead because they were outplaying the champs.

And after that, the champs acted like champs. Wouldn't even let Chris Bosh get to the strong side, much less allow him the ball in triple-threat position. Taunted the seemingly ultracool Jose Calderon into a finger-pointing frenzy. Boston had Toronto not talking, and while that is incredibly grammatically incorrect, it's also the truth. The Raptors couldn't keep up, they could make decisions on the fly, they couldn't think on their feet, and they weren't pushing each other into the positions needed to advance.

There's no shame in that, in November. Toronto hasn't been through this sort of wringer before, and this can't help but aid in the team's growth. And give the cats credit: Toronto hung in there. The ball was moving. Anthony Parker and Jason Kapono were nailing impossible shots. Jose Calderon didn't back down. Jermaine O'Neal tried. They were just up against the champs.

If none of this makes sense, understand that the Raptors raced out to an early double-digit lead with Boston missing more than a few shots they usually make, but mostly because the Toronto defense was forcing Boston into perimeter looks that were semi-passable but not something any team should bank on.

Toronto, on the other end, went to Jermaine O'Neal early and often. JON took a few shots he shouldn't have (one jumper off an offensive rebound with 22 seconds on the shot clock left kind of said it all), but he was effective, and killing the C's. The lead usually stayed at 15.

Slowly, the Celtics got back into it. Two stops in a row instead of one. Three scores in a row instead of two. Things got manageable, and then Paul Pierce got real, real unmanageable. He played the entire second half, and had 25 points over the final 15 minutes of the game. Drives, pull-ups, three-pointers, nonsense. Just the Truth at his best. Jason Kapono seemed to get a lot of it, but all the Raptors got a taste.

The other thing that stood out was Chris Bosh's honest-to-goodness disappearing act in the second half. He had three points (nine in the game), but didn't score in the fourth quarter. Didn't even take a shot. And, honestly, I don't know how any mortal man could have. Sure, Sam Mitchell should have probably come up with a counter play or three, but Kevin Garnett was absolutely all over Bosh during that final frame. It was sick. It was scary. It was fantastic.

And in the end, I'm more impressed with the Raptors in the loss. Even though they were up by 15. Even as they couldn't get their franchise stud a shot in the final quarter of a close game. This team now has something to build on. The goal, and EXACTLY what there is to overcome ... it's become clearer.

Toronto knew before this game that they had to overcome Boston in order to take that next step. Now they know how. That doesn't mean the Raptors will be able to do it, or that the team is any closer than it was before Monday's loss. But at least the blueprint is there. That's significant.

Even though we lost, just the fact we stayed in there is garnering us some respect.
Even the losses matter.

Mods: If you wish to merge this into another thread, please go ahead.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
boomerfss
Junior
And1: 65

Re: Kelly Dwyer's look on last night's game: 

Post#2 » by boomerfss » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 am

I agree, it was a helluva game. And I think a lot of positive things came out of this game. I look forward to the rematch on our court. A well written article. :D
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:07 am

Basically Sam Mitchell is an idiot, right?
Sizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 172

Post#4 » by Sizzle » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 am

Kelly Dwyer is one smart dude. You know why?

He knows Raps fans will see this article, thus saving him from ever getting e-bombed by pissed off Raptor fanatics. Clearly Raptor fans now have the reputation of being very active on message boards, chats, etc.

So, basically he doesn't rag on the Celtics for coming out of gate slow but instead credits the Raps. Essentially, allowing us to now worship him.
" Once the mind has been streched by a new idea, It will never again return to it's original size."
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,576

Post#5 » by DG88 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am

Well for the most part he's right, it's a tough lost but we had the celtics on the ropes and gave them probably their toughest game of the season.
Hank_Scorpio
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#6 » by Hank_Scorpio » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 am

NO!

SAM SUCKS!

BARGNANI SUCKS!

TREADMILL TREADMILL TREADMILL!!!!!!
Postbro1 wrote:Obama is right on this.
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#7 » by [SJJ] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 am

Choker wrote:Basically Sam Mitchell is an idiot, right?

basically
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#8 » by J-Roc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:41 am

I hoped CB would learn from the game. But I heard him laughing in the post-game scrums. I would have hoped he would have went into the dressing room and called a players-only meeting, to let everyone know this game wasn't just any game. It wasn't the usualy "one of 82". It was a game where the Celtics smugly laughed us off. Not cool. And not something that can ever happen again.

And if the team is ever up by 5 or 10 or 15....play like it's a tie game. BRING IT!! Every play!!

But no, CB was yucking it up.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,083

Post#9 » by ItsDanger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:46 am

I think I'll have some Nestle Quik now.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#10 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:50 am

J-Roc are you serious?
Got Raps FanFiction?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#11 » by YogiStewart » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 am

...but i thought the sky is falling?
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Supercollider » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:15 am

J-Roc wrote:I hoped CB would learn from the game. But I heard him laughing in the post-game scrums. I would have hoped he would have went into the dressing room and called a players-only meeting, to let everyone know this game wasn't just any game. It wasn't the usualy "one of 82". It was a game where the Celtics smugly laughed us off. Not cool. And not something that can ever happen again.

And if the team is ever up by 5 or 10 or 15....play like it's a tie game. BRING IT!! Every play!!

I think you've been watching too many sports movies.

:wink:
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,459

Post#13 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:24 am

I believe nothing positive ever comes out of losses. The point of the game is to win, and whatever you point to, it didn't lead us to win.

If anything this just proved nothing has changed from previous years. We haven't yet shown the ability to stop people in crunch time. It seems like teams shot 80% against us in crunch time and no offense, no matter how efficient you are, can match that.

This comes back to coaching IMO. This team seems to be always be in games, and nearly all our loses come from crunch time. I believe this is mainly due to lack of defensive execution led mainly by personnel decisions and defensive philosophy which can be all attributed to Sam.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#14 » by 99 Problems » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 am

We need one or two more alpha male types to give this team a shot of grittiness and toughness.. Only JO fits the bill right now..

In the perfect world we'd have a tough nosed SG/SF in his prime, and a couple of calm vets at backup PG and C.. Those guys would help balance out the team and push Bosh, Jose, and everybody else to play tougher..

Add an experienced coach into the mix and then I think we'd be real contenders..
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#15 » by J-Roc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:39 am

Yeah I watched a few sports movies. But actually, I did think CB might be pissed. Him and JO came in with big expectations this year. Not from us. From themselves. No doubt they hoped they could team up and beasts in the East. But so far it hasn't worked out that way. We lose to Detroit and to Boston and everyone shrugs and just says, "oh well, those are great teams".

Understand, JO and CB know no other help is coming. There's talk about trades for a SF< but they all involve hurting the team elsewhere....like, less bench strength. Unless JO becomes a more dominant guy.....and funny enough, he's probably giving us what we expected....this team is what it is. Just another team playoff team that has no chance of winning this year.

I thought that might piss CB and JO off.
Kc17
Lead Assistant
And1: 36

Post#16 » by Kc17 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:43 am

We just didnt hit our shats.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#17 » by bakafool » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 am

Moral victories are a b!tch.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#18 » by HiJiNX » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 am

J-Roc wrote:I hoped CB would learn from the game. But I heard him laughing in the post-game scrums. I would have hoped he would have went into the dressing room and called a players-only meeting, to let everyone know this game wasn't just any game. It wasn't the usualy "one of 82". It was a game where the Celtics smugly laughed us off. Not cool. And not something that can ever happen again.

You're like the message board version of Malibu's Most Wanted
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#19 » by trick » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 am

anyone else sick of the whole cliche "the raptors can learn from this loss"? it's been said ad nauseaum for quite some time and frankly, how many games like these do they need to finally get it? in what was probably the most defiining game yet for chris to solidify getting to that "next step" he disappears. the raptors were bullied yet again and didn't put up much of a fight once adversity hit hard. the team falling into the style of play their opponents led them to.

same ol' same ol'. don't worry kid, you're bound to find the right hole for that square peg.
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
garbage time
Starter
And1: 1

Post#20 » by garbage time » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:41 am

Good article. Screw off with the negative comments.
ibtl

Return to Toronto Raptors