ImageImageImageImageImage

The Raptors are always the same team

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OG786
Ballboy
And1: 0

The Raptors are always the same team 

Post#1 » by OG786 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:51 am

Ever since i've began watching the Raptors, waaay back in 95, i always held optimism for "this might be the year!" but with the arrival of JO and the twin towers we have, I feel we are still a one dimensional team as the past. For example, when we had VC (sorry i had to mention him), Tmac, Oak, AD, and the supporting cast we almost always ran the same plays - high screen and roll from the top of the arch and then the pass - I've grown tired of relishing that the raptors will decide to learn how to use their players efficiently, i.e. Detroit. We have the talent, no lying about that. JKilla! can be as consistent as RIP if the bigs flashed and set picks for him, which in turn will open up potential buckets for the towers and calderon. BUT as well all know, games are already decided for and the Raptors are almost always on the short end of the stick. However, in the end we all have that "this might be the year" inside of all of us.

Hopefully "this might be the year"

Until next time,

Keep it Easy!
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Re: The Raptors are always the same team 

Post#2 » by s e n s i » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:59 am

OG786 wrote:Until next time,

damn
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#3 » by wtcantfw » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:11 am

What is this thread even talking about? Really.

The Raptors teams over the years have actually been quite different. In the expansion years, our team was full of scrubs with no talent. The few games we did win was because we were scrappy and always played hard. The early VC/Oak/AD years were defined by toughness, rebounding, lane intimidation, and being aggressive. Now, we're a pick-and-roll jumpshooting team with an emphasis on ball movement. There are very few similarities between the teams actually, when you think about it.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,490

Post#4 » by Mattd97 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:30 am

credibility gone when comparing Kapono to Hamilton
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#5 » by JL5 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 am

I'm a little lost. You're thinking this might be the year for what?
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#6 » by Spicy P » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 am

Ever since Carter and Davis left, every year we've been some crappy rebounding, 3-point chucking team
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#7 » by BigShotBob13 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:55 pm

OG786 wrote:Ever since i've began watching the Raptors, waaay back in 95, i always held optimism for "this might be the year!" but with the arrival of JO and the twin towers we have, I feel we are still a one dimensional team as the past. For example, when we had VC (sorry i had to mention him), Tmac, Oak, AD, and the supporting cast we almost always ran the same plays - high screen and roll from the top of the arch and then the pass - I've grown tired of relishing that the raptors will decide to learn how to use their players efficiently, i.e. Detroit. We have the talent, no lying about that. JKilla! can be as consistent as RIP if the bigs flashed and set picks for him, which in turn will open up potential buckets for the towers and calderon. BUT as well all know, games are already decided for and the Raptors are almost always on the short end of the stick. However, in the end we all have that "this might be the year" inside of all of us.

Hopefully "this might be the year"

Until next time,

Keep it Easy!

I also remember this from 95.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
Mikestro
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#8 » by Mikestro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:59 pm

lol @ this thread
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by 08HEMI » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Mattd97 wrote:credibility gone when comparing Kapono to Hamilton

lol its true that Rip has always been better than Kapono but lets not forget that when that piston team was put together way back before they started contending it wasn't seen as a talented team. Rip struggled with the Wizards, Billups was all over the NBA, Prince an ackward thin lookin rookie and a trouble maker in Rasheed. What happened was all the lack of talent talk ended when they put together a system that had all of them contributing not just one player, they believed in the system and they stuck to their roles. I would agree in Toronto that rarely ever happens and it defenitely isn't happening under Sam Mitchell where all our players play to their weaknesses instead of the their strengths and rarely ever do you see more than one player have a big night, usually Bosh.
CarterDUnk16
Bench Warmer
And1: 125

Post#10 » by CarterDUnk16 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

hmm i would more likely compare Kapono to Peja more than RIP. If Kap was even a bit like RIP we wouldn't be looking for a wing right now.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,287

Post#11 » by ruckus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:07 pm

I don't think many people thought this was "the year". It would take an incredible amount of luck, some forces of nature and probably a plane crash or two to make this "the year". This year is more like "the year before the year". Or, "the year before the year before the year".
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,640

Post#12 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:10 pm

08HEMI wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:credibility gone when comparing Kapono to Hamilton

lol its true that Rip has always been better than Kapono but lets not forget that when that piston team was put together way back before they started contending it wasn't seen as a talented team. Rip struggled with the Wizards, Billups was all over the NBA, Prince an ackward thin lookin rookie and a trouble maker in Rasheed. What happened was all the lack of talent talk ended when they put together a system that had all of them contributing not just one player, they believed in the system and they stuck to their roles. I would agree in Toronto that rarely ever happens and it defenitely isn't happening under Sam Mitchell where all our players play to their weaknesses instead of the their strengths and rarely ever do you see more than one player have a big night, usually Bosh.

Sheed was a final piece, not there from the beginning. Ben Wallace is the player you're looking for.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors