ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - so what are the Knicks doing?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

OT - so what are the Knicks doing? 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:25 pm

anyone - including Mr Walsh - have any clues what the Knicks are trying to acheive this offseason and for this coming season?

right now, it looks like their only solid plan is to get Curry into gameshape.
Lee and Robinson look like they are gone, so there goes 2/5 of their not-so-great starting rotation.

me smells a lottery team that's also hoping that 2010's free agent market will allow them to start fresh. but who wants to play for a loser?
dawn_wan
Veteran
And1: 612

Re: OT - so what are the Knicks doing? 

Post#2 » by dawn_wan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Obviously they are saving the cap space for next summer and will sign Wade, Bosh AND LeBron.
gusguy
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#3 » by gusguy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Rumours out of Greece (Olympiacos) have Lee and/or Robinson going there. Lee to fill the void left when Giorgios signed with spanish team.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#4 » by cram » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

If they lose all year and win the chance to pick John Wall, don't they owe that pick to Utah or someone?
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#5 » by Southward1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

dawn_wan wrote:Obviously they are saving the cap space for next summer and will sign Wade, Bosh AND LeBron.

They'll end up with only Amare. Book it!
Upgrayedd
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Upgrayedd » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:29 pm

dawn_wan wrote:Obviously they are saving the cap space for next summer and will sign Wade, Bosh AND LeBron.

They'd still find a way to lose.
1gun
Ballboy

Post#7 » by 1gun » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 pm

It's so pathetic watching a team throw the season before it even starts.
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Supercollider » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:31 pm

It would make some sense if they actually owned their first round pick in 2010. Too bad Isiah gave it away to Utah.
Fac1
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Fac1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:32 pm

YogiStewart wrote:me smells a lottery team that's also hoping that 2010's free agent market will allow them to start fresh. but who wants to play for a loser?

Don't expect a fresh start with their pick going to Utah.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#10 » by douggood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:33 pm

cram wrote:If they lose all year and win the chance to pick John Wall, don't they owe that pick to Utah or someone?

yep utah and it has no protection
they are trying to get some player with the MLE on a 1year contract or to get a player to accept a long term contract below value.
I suspect they will sign lee and nate robinson will accept the qualifing offer.
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Supercollider » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 pm

So who's left? Gallinari, Darko, Chandler and Jordan Hill? I don't expect much from Hill (in general). Same with Curry.

EDIT: Actually, Darko's expiring. They may not re-sign him.

So potentially:

LeBron or Wade or Bosh
Gallinari
Chandler
Jordan Hill
Curry
FA (all-star/borderline all-star)

Bosh doesn't look good on that team.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,781

Post#12 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 pm

They better not suck, 'cause if they do, they're practically giving up John Wall, Derrick Favors to the Jazz next season.

At this point, they better hope Danilo Gallinari becomes a star and/or Eddy Curry plays well enough to raise his trade value.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#13 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:37 pm

For the position the Knicks are in, Walsh is playing this very well. Hopefully get a top 3 pick in the draft, draft a stud that will entice people to come to play for a team on the turn around. Have tonnes of capspace to make things happen.

Sure beats signing regretable contracts this summer and absolutely screwing yourself. Is what the Knicks are doing the most noble strategy, probably not, but I think it's their best one.

EDIT: just saw the posts about the Utah thing. nvm what i wrote...same ol' Knickerbockers lol
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#14 » by dacrusha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Looks like they may end up with about $30-34 million to spend on FAs.

That's enough for 1 tier-1 free agent, 1 tier-2 free agent and the rest to fill out the 5 additional spots to field a minimum roster.

I smell HUGE disappointment on the way for the Knicks and a blueprint for how not to rebuild a team.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#15 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 pm

its actually sad to see how the once great franchise has fallen completely on its butt and continues to drag it in the dirt.

out of the Big 3 free agents, NY will be lucky to get one. and i doubt that will happen.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#16 » by J-Roc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 pm

You know, if they end up with Lebron, some how some way, it will all be worth it. They don't even need to sign Lebron and some other stud. The Cavs last year showed that Lebron with a bunch of scrubs gets you the best record in the league.
Randy Marsh
Freshman

Post#17 » by Randy Marsh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Fac1 wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:me smells a lottery team that's also hoping that 2010's free agent market will allow them to start fresh. but who wants to play for a loser?

Wow Utah is loving life with the NYK pick.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,875

Post#18 » by Spicy P » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm

They have no idea what they're doing. They'll be one of the worst teams in the league next year and won't even get to keep their pick. They're letting all their major assets they've been developing for years (Lee, Robinson) walk away for nothing. They won't sign a player to a contract for more than 1 year because of the dumb 2010 plan. They're banking their entire future on Lebron James signing with them which isn't even guaranteed to happen.
Fac1
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#19 » by Fac1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Randy Marsh wrote:
Fac1 wrote:

Wow Utah is loving life with the NYK pick.

Which is why these rumored Boozer to NYK trades make no sense to me. Utah would rather lose Boozer for nothing than have that pick fall from top-3 to mid-lottery.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,781

Post#20 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:45 pm

YogiStewart wrote:its actually sad to see how the once great franchise has fallen completely on its butt and continues to drag it in the dirt.

out of the Big 3 free agents, NY will be lucky to get one. and i doubt that will happen.

Your right, Yogi. I actually liked it when the Knicks were good. Absolutely loved the Raptors/Knicks battles...of course, I didn't know about RealGM at the time, but I'd imagine there was some hostility between the Knicks and Raptors boards'.

I think they're going about re-building the team the wrong way. I know Donnie Walsh is a smart, veteran executive, but the plan is crystal clear as of now. Get as much cap space to sign the marquee players...they're forgetting that they have to win first to lure the likes of Wade, Bosh, and James.

However, they could probably get Amar'e Stoudemire or Michael Redd/Joe Johnson.

Return to Toronto Raptors