ImageImageImageImageImage

Bright Spot : Demar Derozan & Amir Johnson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hoop-la
Senior
And1: 13

Bright Spot : Demar Derozan & Amir Johnson 

Post#1 » by Hoop-la » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:15 am

Our team is playing horrible and our fan base is in a bi-polar frenzy so I just wanted to point out that even though we were blown out tonight, we had two of our young players show what they're capable of with some extra minutes. Demar showed that he's capable of driving into the lane and finish as well as attack and get to the line. He dropped 21 points and it wasn't all in the fourth quarter garbage minutes. Amir had 9 and 7 with great hustle and defence.

The future of the team is unclear but it's nice to see that some of our young guns are showing some improvement and progression.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Re: Bright Spot : Demar Derozan & Amir Johnson 

Post#2 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:17 am

Love these guys, they should both be starting IMO.

Now if they would only have an eating/weightlifting contest...
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#3 » by Clutch Carter » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:19 am

I don't get why everyone is so enamored with Amir. He's a nice energy guy, but his d isn't anything special, really awkward around the basket and he's a foul machine to boot.

I do like what I've seen from Demar though.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

Hoop-la
Senior
And1: 13

Post#4 » by Hoop-la » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:22 am

Though Amir's defence isn't the greatest, he gets all of his fouls from trying to block every shot. He's the only player on our team that has an intimidation factor on other players. Bargnani and Bosh are so soft and Johnson gives us some interior defence that we don't have with our starters.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#5 » by tylrrr » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:24 am

I was really impressed by DeMar tonight. While the rest of our team was sleepwalking through a blowout it looked like he was pushing as hard as he can to hit another gear.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#6 » by Avenger » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:26 am

I thought Amir was good, made some mistakes but never looked like was giving up, can't say that for the rest of the team. DeRozan was the same except i haven't been impressed with his defence all that much, he's a still a rookie though, so we can cut him some slack.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by tylrrr » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:27 am

DeRozan gets lost on switches and rotations. He floats on helps, but he never knows when to commit to a double or a hedge and when to jump back to his man. Not really his fault.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,649

Post#8 » by kingr » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:28 am

The best part is they are 20 and 22 respectively.
P-AiR
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#9 » by P-AiR » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:28 am

Bottom line is he's the only one that actually looks like he cares.

Diving and ripping the ball away from opp when rebounding.. During last game, in the second quarter when Bosh scored 14-16 straight it was in large part due to Johnson's offensive rebounding and passing.

It gives us a balanced line up.. Need some grit at the front to do the dirty work.
tout.it is the ultimate social media platform for real sports fans. JOIN US today at www.tout.it.
Paperclip
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Paperclip » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:33 am

I like the effort these 2 kids are giving out there during these times. I wish we could keep Amir after this season as a big to bring off the bench, I like what he brings.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#11 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:37 am

Absolutely love them both.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#12 » by 99 Problems » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:39 am

DeRozan isn't afraid of contact when he drives, unlike nearly everybody else on this team.. Looks like he took his anger out a little today too with his somewhat rough takes to the basket..
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:40 am

How about DD sending Horford to the floor, and cleanly for a foul?
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by jay632 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:44 am

amir over rated energy guy, i was more excited with pops.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by tylrrr » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:06 am

Amir doesn't get blocked on 90% of his putbacks like Pops does.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#16 » by Indiana Jones » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:11 am

i love what these guys bring as well...but let's face it, jay is obliged to play hedo, jose, jack and bargnani even if they're sucking...benching any of those guys would be insulting to BC and he's afraid to do it, unless it's already a blowout...

that's what you get when you waste your money on unathletic bums like BC has drafted/signed...ugh this team makes me want to puke...

i would take amir for bagnani in a trade, one-for-one, any day of the week.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:14 am

tylrrr wrote:Amir doesn't get blocked on 90% of his putbacks like Pops does.

Amir's hands around the rim are in a different class, I'm impressed by that every time I see him. Never mind that he's 4 years younger than Pops and could fill out a bit.

He should have dunked that one tonight, obviously, but that's Josh Smith.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,951

Post#18 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Dec 3, 2009 1:54 pm

thesciencedroppa wrote:How about DD sending Horford to the floor, and cleanly for a foul?

That wasn't a clean foul. He took him down by the shoulder, should've been a flagrant, but I'm glad he didn't give up the dunk.

Amir struggled defensively last night, but he never stops playing basketball, which makes him one of the few on this team. He's got great hands and when he's got a bit of time usually makes the right play on offense.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#19 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Dec 3, 2009 2:00 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:i love what these guys bring as well...but let's face it, jay is obliged to play hedo, jose, jack and bargnani even if they're sucking...benching any of those guys would be insulting to BC and he's afraid to do it, unless it's already a blowout...

that's what you get when you waste your money on unathletic bums like BC has drafted/signed...ugh this team makes me want to puke...

i would take amir for bagnani in a trade, one-for-one, any day of the week.

I don't think he is. People blame BC, but BC brought players in, to address it. Jay has to play them. I don't know if Jay has this perfect scenario in his head where it all just works, if Jack and Jose play together and not compete for minutes, or if our system gets bought into and masks our flaws. But it's not been perfect. So he needs to stop being so stubborn and realize he needs to coach this team and not guide this team. He needs to be demanding not placating.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#20 » by Hendrix » Thu Dec 3, 2009 2:09 pm

I love both these guys, and don't know where you guys are getting Amir is bad defensivly, and Derozan was bad defensivly.

Well I guess everybody's bad defensivly last night, but I was specifically watching Derozan on defense at times and he did a pretty damn good job at getting up on his guy, and not letting him past. He might not know all the nuances, but he's a rookie, with natural defensive talent and effort imo.

Amir also is probably one of our best defenders. He's the best big man at hedging, recovering, gaurding screens, and rotating over from the weakside imo. Pretty damn long, and mobile, and has the best DRTG on our team, and had had the best DRTG on a great defensive Pistons team a coule years ago.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???

Return to Toronto Raptors