ImageImageImageImageImage

Reasons for Wright's Attitude/Approach On The Court

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptor04
Senior
And1: 9

Reasons for Wright's Attitude/Approach On The Court 

Post#1 » by Raptor04 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:54 pm

I've seen Antonie Wright get bashed for his public comments in virtually every thread. "Stop being MJ." "Let your actions speak for words first." But have any of us actually figured out the meaning behind this play?

Can I be the first Raptor fan to say, I'm actually appreciating it more in how hes taking a leadership role and refusing to go by our mic-mac standards that we set for ourselves in game? In all honesty, why would he want to pass Bargnani the ball when he's not doing anything to contribute defensively. Wright is trying to make a point heard, offense is earned. He's easily one of our best defenders. I for one, like the fact that he's not going to let these guys have it easy. With the way we're living and dying with out 50/50 offense and 0/100 defense, I prefer the message he is sending to guys that if you don't get your tail in on defense, don't expect anything back.

Yeah, I cringe when I see him throw up those 3's he can't make. But I sure as hell am happy when he doesn't just give in and hang his head on our embarassing play. It's nice to see someone who actually cares, and it's probably spreading more now that he's made his point. I'm sure Jack and Bosh don't want to be duped on the offensive end, and they are stepping up and being accountable, and laying the blame where it deserves to go now.

The people who fail to recognize this, or correct their play (and you all know very well who I'm talking about) will be the losers in the end.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Re: Reasons for Wright's Attitude/Approach On The Court 

Post#2 » by Live Free » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:56 pm

Toronto can't handle the truth.

Realize how Andrea got a free pass last night for getting 0 rebounds?, when has he ever come out and stated that he had a bad rebounding game and promises he'll won't let it happen next game?

last season that happened to Gortat, and he responded like that to the media.. next game grabs 20 rebounds

Wright's coming from a winning situation where they don't let that **** slide
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#3 » by EventHorizon » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:57 pm

He came from Dallas where they have leadership, defense and a winning culture. Enough said.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#4 » by carlosey » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:58 pm

He sucks. He doesnt understand his role, or rather doesnt want to understand it hence his DNP. There is nothing worse than an offensively challenged player that doesnt accept his limitations. I hope they get rid of him
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#5 » by timdunkit » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:00 pm

Its contract year ... You don't come to a team and just do that and come out of your role. He shouldn't have addressed the media, if he had just said it to the players, it would have been a different story. Wright was benched for a reason last game. For a guy who does a lot of talking, he needs to stick to his role. Offense is not earned, offense should be ran through your best offesnive players while your role players feed of them and everybody should be playing defense. Being the best defender on the worst defense statistically of all time is not an accomplishment to be proud of. Bargnani is our second best and second most consistent offensive player ... Wright should stick to his role or I could see a lot of DNP's coming or 5 min games ...
Raptor04
Senior

Post#6 » by Raptor04 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:01 pm

mad-mo wrote:Toronto can't handle the truth.

Realize how Andrea got a free pass last night for getting 0 rebounds?, when has he ever come out and stated that he had a bad rebounding game and promises he'll won't let it happen next game?

last season that happened to Gortat, and he responded like that to the media.. next game grabs 20 rebounds

Wright's coming from a winning situation where they don't let that **** slide

Exactly, really at this point I don't care about our in game mistakes, we need to first correct our game approach and effort. Wright is setting a prime example of this.

Why should Bargnani be the benificiary of 25 points when he's done nothing but give up 45 points in the paint? Wright's leadership in actually staying true to his word on the court is something Raps fans haven't seen in awhile.

This is the type of internal competition they need to have to raise the bar for everyone. Guys should know, if you aren't ready to play on the defensive end, don't bother suiting up.
Raptor04
Senior

Post#7 » by Raptor04 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:05 pm

timdunkit wrote:Its contract year ... You don't come to a team and just do that and come out of your role. He shouldn't have addressed the media, if he had just said it to the players, it would have been a different story. Wright was benched for a reason last game. For a guy who does a lot of talking, he needs to stick to his role. Offense is not earned, offense should be ran through your best offesnive players while your role players feed of them and everybody should be playing defense. Being the best defender on the worst defense statistically of all time is not an accomplishment to be proud of. Bargnani is our second best and second most consistent offensive player ... Wright should stick to his role or I could see a lot of DNP's coming or 5 min games ...

So what if he's our 2nd best offensive player? He certainly isn't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 15th best player who comes in and is giving his full effort on the defensive end. Yes, he isn't 15th. Guys need to be held accountable for their lack of defense.

Noone cares about the 30 points Bargnani gets if we're giving up 130 a night. These players have gotten way too confortable with how they can just slide by without anyone noticing. If the goal in basketball was to allow as few points as possible, Wright would be the beneficiary, and that would be based all on hard work, effort and pride.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:08 pm

When did Wright mention Bargnani?

I hate when people just draw conclusions without knowing any facts. Also, the argument that he's well within his Wright to take bad shots because he plays defense is about as stupid as it gets. It's equally as stupid as, why should someone be allowed to take a shot if they don't play defense? This actually makes our team far worse.
shogun308
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#9 » by shogun308 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:09 pm

The coach should stand behind those who played hard on defense to set an example for the rest of the team. Not by benching Wright after he stated the most obvious flaw on this team...Defense! Which coincidentally, our head coach fails to hold the team accountable over and over again!

Most people will say that Wright shouldn't have called out the team like this to the media, but who knows how many times he had tried to plea his case with the coaching staff? I'd say Triano needs to tinker the starting lineup to send a message to the team...start jack over JC and start Rasho over AB.
Nostradunkus
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#10 » by Nostradunkus » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:09 pm

I got no problem with the way Wright plays. You gotta take the bad with the good from players like him. Theres nothing wrong with ill advised shots when you make hustle and bring energy on D, it goes comes with the territory. I suspect the complaints on him come from eurotrash lovers (maybe immagrants?) who love the idea of watching a snot nose center cry on the 3 point line and apparantly hate MJ as they use it as a derogatory term, I cant see toronto fans all being this type.
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#11 » by timdunkit » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:14 pm

Raptor04 wrote:
timdunkit wrote:Its contract year ... You don't come to a team and just do that and come out of your role. He shouldn't have addressed the media, if he had just said it to the players, it would have been a different story. Wright was benched for a reason last game. For a guy who does a lot of talking, he needs to stick to his role. Offense is not earned, offense should be ran through your best offesnive players while your role players feed of them and everybody should be playing defense. Being the best defender on the worst defense statistically of all time is not an accomplishment to be proud of. Bargnani is our second best and second most consistent offensive player ... Wright should stick to his role or I could see a lot of DNP's coming or 5 min games ...

So what if he's our 2nd best offensive player? He certainly isn't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 15th best player who comes in and is giving his full effort on the defensive end. Yes, he isn't 15th. Guys need to be held accountable for their lack of defense.

Noone cares about the 30 points Bargnani gets if we're giving up 130 a night. These players have gotten way too confortable with how they can just slide by without anyone noticing. If the goal in basketball was to allow as few points as possible, Wright would be the beneficiary, and that would be based all on hard work, effort and pride.

If there is such thing as being accountable for your defense then there is such thing as being accountable for your offense ... You play defense for half the game, just like you play offense for half the game ... There both equally as important ... I'm not giving Andrea an excuse for his terrible defense, but I don't see him calling anybody out for why Amir/Weems/Wright are getting more isolation plays ran for them when Bosh and Hedo are off the court ...
shogun308
Ballboy

Post#12 » by shogun308 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:18 pm

Wright's poor play on offense can also be a result of our poor defense. When you see time and time again that the team is not responding defensively, you start to lose it mentally on offense too. Team defense is very important to make a team feels like they are playing as a team, as a unit...it helps bring a group together.
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#13 » by timdunkit » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:22 pm

shogun308 wrote:Wright's poor play on offense can also be a result of our poor defense. When you see time and time again that the team is not responding defensively, you start to lose it mentally on offense too. Team defense is very important to make a team feels like they are playing as a team, as a unit...it helps bring a group together.

Likewise, his poor offense cna lead to poor defense ... These factors, are usually two way relationships ...
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#14 » by Alfred » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:26 pm

He has a PER of 3. THREE.
Raptor04
Senior

Post#15 » by Raptor04 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:35 pm

Let me re-iterate my point, I by no means am a supporter of Wrights game or talent, yeah I think he plays good defense but other than that, he has no offensive game whatsoever.

The point I like is accountability, being responsible for your actions and putting it on the team. Every time you have that internal pressure, guys listen better to the players than the coaches.

Maybe Wrights shots piss Bargnani off and lead him to have a monster defensive game, and he gets pissed off when the team doesnt pass him the ball, kinda like Bosh has been putting in the effort on defense but getting no touches yesterday. If our other core guys can step up and have some leadership and accountability, rather than putting it all on one guy, I think this team would make major strides.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#16 » by carlosey » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:40 pm

Its not just that he doesnt have an offensive game...its that he plays as if he did and kills any type of offensive flow. He has come in as someone who needed to be a balancing force in the roster and is nothing more than a disruptive force. A scrub with a big mouth with no actions to back it up is a bad thing to have.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#17 » by Kabookalu » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:46 pm

I went over to the Mavs board once and a Raptors fan made a topic regarding Antoine Wright. Mavs fans said that the only thing he ever did on offense was sit in the corner and jack up 3 pointers; they said he never did any of the idiotic things he's doing with us. Speaks wonders about our team of how we can't even keep role players like Wright in check.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,018

Post#18 » by ItsDanger » Thu Dec 3, 2009 5:13 pm

Why does your defence predicate your offensive opportunities? Maybe that player shouldnt be playing as often then. Dont give him the ball if he doesnt play good D? LOL
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
shogun308
Ballboy

Post#19 » by shogun308 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 5:22 pm

timdunkit wrote:
Likewise, his poor offense cna lead to poor defense ... These factors, are usually two way relationships ...

The effort of D has a bigger impact on offense for sure! You can have a bad shooting night no matter how hard you try but the only time you have a bad night on D is when you don't try hard enough! If you want to win in this league, you have got to bring the D! There is no exception!
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#20 » by ldnk » Thu Dec 3, 2009 5:34 pm

Wait, so we should be appreciating the efforts of one of the wing players who routinely allows guards/and SFs to blow by him to put extensive pressure on Bosh/Bargnani/Rasho/Amir when the bigs on the team can't stop anything that drives into the paint to begin with? We should be appreciating the leadership comments of a guy who jacks up shots he can't hit when the Raptors offense is actually really efficient outside of his game?

I'm sorry. I'm glad that players are starting to call each other out in the media because doing it behind closed doors isn't changing anything, but Wright isn't one to talk in this circumstance. At least Jack had the intelligence to wait to comment until he started to pick up his game.

Return to Toronto Raptors