ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Demar should play more

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gregdj
Starter
And1: 251

Re: Why Demar should play more 

Post#41 » by gregdj » Fri Jan 8, 2010 1:27 am

supaSPED wrote:wow, one good game and he gets this much love. until he pulls off an extended period of solid solid play, he doesn't play in the 4th over veterans who are battle tested. more often than not, he's a non factor during the time he's on the floor. that isn't the type of player that should close out games. give him time to develop before you thrust him into win-lose situations.

one good game? lmao do you even watch the raptors?

He deserves more play so he can improve, and he has shown that he has worked very hard time and time again. I believe he will be a great player if triano puts more faith in him.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#42 » by J-Roc » Fri Jan 8, 2010 2:35 am

We cancan no longer discuss how many minutes Demar will get to close out games because Jay will play the two PG's no matter what. He will do it to make sure both get more minutes.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#43 » by RedX » Fri Jan 8, 2010 4:50 am

Demar or Weems should have been playing in the 4th instead of Wright.

They can actually create their own shot, we almost lost the game because no one else can.
BranGor
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#44 » by BranGor » Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:03 am

It's pretty obvious why he isn't on the floor in crunch time. During the ending minutes of the game, it inevitably slows down more into the half court, and, as of now, Derozan simply isn't a good enough shooter to play in the half court effectively. Think about it, our offense in the half court basically revolves around Pick and Rolls and Bosh Iso's, it is crucial for a team to have decent shooters to spread the court to prevent cheating and easy double teams.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,639

Post#45 » by C_Money » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:49 am

I don't care if you want to give him 15 minutes when he's doing average but when he's having a good game, give him some extra minutes. Most of the time, Bellinelli, Weems and Wright aren't doing much better.
deno07
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#46 » by deno07 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:57 am

peteyjones13 wrote:Allright everyone,
I am very frustrated seeing Demar Derozan play the beginning of halfs and rarely see any other action on the floor. In this post, I shall make an in depth argument as to why this is stupid, and why he deserves more playing time.

From the beginning of the year, it seemed like Jay Triano decided that DD was not going to play outside of the beginning of both halfs. He talked about starting him because he wasn't sure how else he was going to get Demar out there. It seemed like he'd decided that DD is NOT playing outside of the beginning of both halfs. And a game like tonight proves that. He was on fire from the floor, yet still only played 19 minutes(the beginning of each half).

Now let's talk about Demar as a player. Offensively, he has great athleticism. But watching the kid play, it's obvious to me he has great natural talent. He has great touch. He knows how to slow down and bank the ball off glass. He finishes difficult shots at the rim a lot better than most players do. It's hard for me to explain, but I'm just saying, he has great touch.
Why does is this board in love with this guy? He plays too much and hes not that good .Starting and playing has hindered the developement of Belinelli who is a 100 times better than Derozan .
Offensively for us he can use his athleticism to make great cuts to the basket, get rebounds he has no business getting, shoot a decent jumper, and finish on the fast break.

Most importantly, this kid has the bball iq to play big minutes now. There is NO reason not to play him in big 4th quarter minutes. None. Maybe if we had amazing guards on this team. But we DON'T. We're playing guys like Marco Belinelli and Antoine Wright more important minutes than him. This makes NO sense to me. None.

Demar has great natural talent, but Jay HAS to show the confidence in him to let him reach his natural potential. It's ridiculous that no matter how well he plays, he's amost guaranteed to play 20 minutes a game or less.

Jay is really hurting the Raptors by giving Demar the minutes he gives them. Demar can be a great player for the future. He has all the skills. People don't realize this though because he doesn't play and thus can't put up the 20+ point games that will get him noticed. Most importantly, for Demar's game to grow, he has to play meaningful minutes. 20 minutes a game is NOT enough. And he's improving now. If I was an opposing coach for the Spurs or Magic, I'd think, wait a second, why isn't Demar going back into the game? Well ok, good news for us!

I have probably repeated myself many times and I apologize but I am extremely frustrated with the lack of meaningful minutes given to Derozan. I'm not sure people realize how good Demar is.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,639

Post#47 » by C_Money » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:27 pm

You don't have to play him in the 4th but atleast get him back in for the last 5 or so minutes in the 2nd quarter. When you've been sitting off 15 game minutes plus halftime your rhythm is already gone. Its like your starting the game over again.

Return to Toronto Raptors