ImageImageImageImageImage

Daily Papers - Jan 7/10

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Daily Papers - Jan 7/10 

Post#1 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:37 am

Toronto Sun
Raps find Magic formula

In three previous meetings against the Magic this season, Toronto came up short. Not last night, even though the Raptors basically imploded for most of the fourth quarter, but dug deep to hold off the Magic, who haven’t been playing well of late and were on the second game of a back-to-back.

While the Raptors won it 108-103, to climb back to the .500 mark, there were some glaring weaknesses that must be cleaned up, especially on defence.

Incredibly, Orlando wasn’t called for its first foul in the fourth quarter until one minute remained.

Raps Replay

BOSH NOSE BETTER

Raptors star Chris Bosh left the game briefly in the opening quarter when he was on the receiving end of an inadvertent blow to the nose courtesy of Matt Barnes. Barnes drove the lane and used his left hand to fend off Bosh. Barnes was called for an offensive foul.

Toronto Star
Raptors stave off a late collapse

A win is a win.

But, yes, the Raptors' latest dubya, their seventh in eight games, nearly turned into a loss after an alarming fourth-quarter collapse.

The Raptors, understand, were laying a beating on the Eastern Conference defending champions on Wednesday night. Up 18 points on the Magic heading into the fourth quarter, Toronto's hoopsters had achieved everything they'd set out to do against a team that had defeated them in each of their previous three meetings. They'd frustrated Dwight Howard into eight turnovers and five fouls; they'd kept Orlando's league-best three-point production in check, holding them to 6-for-20.

National Post
Magic no match for resurgent Raptors

Jose Calderon is back in uniform, and he picked a pretty good time to join the action: The Toronto Raptors, after all, are rolling right now.

The point guard returned to the floor on Wednesday night in Orlando after missing the better part of the last month, and he did not show much rust. Part of the credit for that goes to Calderon's teammates, who are justifiably feeling good about themselves. That showed in Wednesday night's 108-103 win over the Magic at Amway Arena.

Globe and Mail
Raptors hold off Magic rally

Andrea Bargnani and Chris Bosh had 18 points apiece, and the Toronto Raptors nearly blew an 18-point fourth quarter lead before holding off the Orlando Magic for a 108-103 victory Wednesday night.

Hedo Turkoglu added 17 points to help the Raptors win for the seventh time in their last eight games. They also got a boost with five points from Jose Calderon in his return from a hip strain.

Vince Carter’s dunk with 43.4 seconds remaining trimmed Toronto’s lead to two. But J.J. Redick missed a three-pointer in the final seconds that could have tied the score.

Orlando Sentinel
Orlando Magic wake up too late, lose to Toronto Raptors

Otis Smith, who generally manages the Orlando Magic, surveyed the recent slump by his team and quoted Chicken Little. Well, sort of.

"We'll figure it out," he said. "The sky's not falling."

The sky might not be falling on the Magic, but it certainly is dark, cloudy and with 100 percent chance of turnovers.

The Magic's 108-103 loss to the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday night at Amway Arena was their third consecutive defeat and their fourth loss in their last six games.

Orlando Game Notes

"We're not going to do anything but just keep fighting," Howard said. "Not [the] losing, but I'm glad that we're going through this stretch where we just have to fight each and every night. And every night is not pretty for us. But I think success is right around the corner for us. We've just got to continue to just find ways for us to get better.

"As a team, we do everything in the gym every day to get better," he added. "We come up short in the games, but we're going to continue to fight. Like I told the guys tonight and the other night in Indiana, I know that we're going through this phase, but we've just got to remain together."

Game Pics

Sunshine Girl

RealGm Girl(Brianna Frost)

*You guys dont need to thank me, I write these to engage in the discussion of whats happening in Raptorland. Yesterday their was a huge thread on something I posted in the daily thread, why I dont get insight rather then thanks, I dont understand. Anyways enjoy the win guys.
**More Game pics if you click the heading "Game Pics".
***Veez dont work too hard, swimming tonight.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Re: Daily Papers - Jan 7/10 

Post#2 » by itbobby007 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:51 am

VVV, do u need any help w/ the papers this morning?
Bo0bo0
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Bo0bo0 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:52 am

Merci
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#4 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:06 pm

itbobby007 wrote:VVV, do u need any help w/ the papers this morning?

Not at all brother, I just post the dots so Sub doesnt repost this, sorry. I appreciate it though.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#5 » by itbobby007 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:08 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
itbobby007 wrote:VVV, do u need any help w/ the papers this morning?

Not at all brother, I just post the dots so Sub doesnt repost this, sorry. I appreciate it though.

No worries.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#6 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:24 pm

They called Matt Barnes "Dan Barnes" in the Star side bar, and the Sun somehow thought we had to waive Pops to open a Roster spot for José to come back. ugh.

Thanks for the papes. I like that jewelry.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#7 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:33 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:They called Matt Barnes "Dan Barnes" in the Star side bar, and the Sun somehow thought we had to waive Pops to open a Roster spot for José to come back. ugh.

Thanks for the papes. I like that jewelry.

Yea I know, after reading our basketball coverage over the years, its quite apparent we have some of the worst beat writers/articles for Raptors. That "Dan Barnes" elbow was nasty though, ive often wondered why they dont call offensive fouls like that more often.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#8 » by KingstonRaptors » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for the papers.

I have this game recorded, can't wait to watch.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#9 » by Dr Octagon » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks.
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#10 » by hoop_head » Thu Jan 7, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for the papers!
Exar Kun
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Exar Kun » Thu Jan 7, 2010 1:50 pm

Although yes, the Raptors had some major collapses in the 4th quarter. It'd be nice if our beat writers were a tad more homerish and at least mention the atrocious refereeing lastnight.

I realize it was mentioned once in passing in the Star, but seriously.
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#12 » by Viperstrike » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks For The Papers.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#13 » by carlosey » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:35 pm

What happened last night is all on the refs.

They tried to give the magic an advantage on the 4th to make a comeback and make the game exciting for the home crowd. They let the teams sort it out once its close, but I dont like the refs affecting the outcome of the game one bit. What can fans do about it though?
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Post#14 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:05 pm

Exar Kun wrote:Although yes, the Raptors had some major collapses in the 4th quarter. It'd be nice if our beat writers were a tad more homerish and at least mention the atrocious refereeing lastnight.

I realize it was mentioned once in passing in the Star, but seriously.

Agreed. It was getting sickening the way they were calling the 4th.
On a random note, when Turkoglu hit the 3 pointer with about 5 minutes left in the game, I jumped out of my chair and did the "suck it" symbol a good 15 times before sitting back down. A couple minutes later the refs made me feel like I had just had a premature ejaculation. Seriously, I was going to throw something at the TV when they called fouls on Bargnani three times in like a minute.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#15 » by timdunkit » Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the papers ... if the Bargnani doesn't called for that cheap foul, there would have been no collapse ...
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#16 » by Darkseid » Thu Jan 7, 2010 4:03 pm

Do you need help posting pics of hot women?
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#17 » by inrapscity » Thu Jan 7, 2010 4:07 pm

oh god. what is the sun doing? bringing in mammies to be the sunshine girl. before they'd have ladies that looked old but this one could almost be a granny now.
monstermash
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#18 » by monstermash » Thu Jan 7, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the papers.
I wonder how some of those refs can look at themselves in the mirror. It's a good feeling to know that the Raptors not only beat the Magic, but the referees as well.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#19 » by Komodo » Thu Jan 7, 2010 4:20 pm

The SS girl is like Zoolander, she only has one look and can't turn left. Kinda weird.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#20 » by LLJ » Thu Jan 7, 2010 4:24 pm

The Realgm girl looks like Mariah Carey.

Not being a fan of Mariah in general (her attitude sux in public), today's girls don't excite me.

The SS girl isn't too bad.

The MILF session needs to take a break though.

Return to Toronto Raptors