ImageImageImageImageImage

Give JT some credit

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Re: Give JT some credit 

Post#41 » by McFurious1 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:07 pm

To his credit he discovered the Sonny, Amir, and Demar line up.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#42 » by Vorticity » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:16 pm

YogiStewart wrote:*paging Centre Court*
*paging Centre Court*
*paging Centre Court*

haha you bastard :lol:

And basketball420's assessment is pretty much accurate.
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#43 » by Jakay » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:39 pm

basketball420 wrote:I am glad you guys like my arguement but aren't buying it haha
I guess i can only state my opinion...but give the coaching staff some credit this team is improving and I will say this players improve during the offseason , teams improve during the season...this team is getting better and the coaching staff has a lot to do with putting the players in the right spots at the right times
I think there are better coaches out there yes, but jay is doing a prety good job with the team he has..this is a very soft team and you can only coach with what you have...Are we really going to fire Jay now and pay 3 coaches and implement an entire new offense and defense 40 games into the season ?

He's got a lot to learn, but I think he's getting it slowly. I get the impression that he almost took this job thinking that Xs and Os and substitution patterns were the most important thing, but he's obviously kept this team on the same page. He needs to work the refs and way of the game a bit more, but some of that is he also just needs to hang around long enough to earn some of that too.

Besides, I don't think there are that many great coaches to chose from out there. Lots of lateral moves, and a few dinosaurs, but no one who's the class of the outfield. I'd just as soon let Jay continue to improve, which he does. And he will do even more when he stops with his 3 headed PG in the last few minutes.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#44 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Thu Jan 7, 2010 11:47 pm

MEDIC wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:To his credit, he reminds me of Beaker on "Fraggle Rock".

I think Beaker was from the muppets.

Meepmeepmeepmeepmeep!
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#45 » by Veggamattic » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:00 am

It really amazes me how little the basketball world knows about how to evaluate coaching. It proves how much we rely on Stats for evaluation of anything subjective. I mean Mike Brown and Sam Mitchell winning coach of the year (probably the most ridiculous and embarrassing selections in sports history) .

It also bothers me that for some reason the fans of this team want all the best players possible but don't think that we deserve to have a top level coach and are consistently content with whatever rookie coach we mindlessly hand the job to.

Rick Adelman (amongst others) was jobless when BC gave Sam his extension. This one move alone proved to me BC really doesn't know squat about hiring a coach.
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#46 » by basketball420 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:00 am

It's just too easy to blame all that is bad on a coach and everytime we win it was the players playing awesome...it's a two way street and sometimes players blow games and other times coachees do, I think Jay had a very good late game plan...regardless of who was on the court the refs were **** the Raps and didn't call one foul in the 4th quarter against the Magic...could Jay be more vocal ? yes but would a T help in a tight game like that ?
Helloooo
RapTelligence
General Manager
And1: 96

Post#47 » by RapTelligence » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:01 am

basketball420 wrote:I have been posting and reading here since...well since Mak and Blacktop and Hank Scorpio were regulars haha..Since DAY 1 we have always blamed coaches for problems with the team. There is NO coach in the NBA that has a magic wand to make things better. Calling a timeout at the end of a game isn't the worst coaching decision ever made..it's a brain cramp but you still have the ball and if you can't get the ball to your best player on a sideline inbound situation then you have problems...which I will remind you they did...wasted timeout or not

Players have to make the right decisions on the floor... everyone is talking about how well DD shot last night..JAY TRIANO and the coaching staff showed tape of the last time the two teams played and told DD to take a step in from the 3 point line and look for his shot that he is more comfortable with..THAT is great coaching and the player responded by getting into those spots and knocking down the shot.

Defending the three..last night they defended it well by not doubling and sticking with their men on the perimiter...Bosh and Turkoglu both said after the game it was the coaches gameplan and they executed it. Again the coaching staff set a gameplan and the players executed it. A big part of the success is that Andrea did a great job of guarding Howard in the post where they didn't have to double.

Point is coaches put gameplans together, make adjustments...but players still have to execute and knock down shots..Jay has this team prepared and makes good gametime decisions.

Thanks for coming around and putting some sense into this board. Traino is doing fine. We could have Phil Jackson caoching this team and there would be someone whining because this board is very good at that. We could have hired someone like Flip Saunders (established NBA coach) and still have the same results. Nobody knows.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#48 » by Jakay » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:03 am

Veggamattic wrote:It really amazes me how little the basketball world knows about how to evaluate coaching. It proves how much we rely on Stats for evaluation of anything subjective. I mean Mike Brown and Sam Mitchell winning coach of the year (probably the most ridiculous and embarrassing selections in sports history) .

It also bothers me that for some reason the fans of this team want all the best players possible but don't think that we deserve to have a top level coach and are consistently content with whatever rookie coach we mindlessly hand the job to.

Rick Adelman (amongst others) was jobless when BC gave Sam his extension. This one move alone proved to me BC really doesn't know squat about hiring a coach.

So you want to hire PJ Carlisimo with Avery Johnson as his assistant is what I'm reading here.

Or convince Hubie Brown to coach for a year before hiring a rookie coach the next perhaps?

Get JVG out of the broadcast booth which he has no intention of doing?

Convince Rick Pitino that he really does have what it takes?
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#49 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:19 am

A good coach would not play Wright on this team.
A good coach would not play Weems or Wright over DD.
A good coach would not tolerate the kind of plays Jack and Wright were making last night.
A good coach would not keep two PGs on the floor when it's not working on either end.
A good coach would have taken a T over the foul discrepancy.
A good coach would have run plays at Dwight when he was in trouble.
A good coach would not have called our last TO when he did.

I understand the "who else can we get?" point, but JT is clearly in over his head and he's spent the last year drowning.

Return to Toronto Raptors