ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA.com : Raptors are suprisingly catching attention

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bena2005
Banned User
And1: 0

NBA.com : Raptors are suprisingly catching attention 

Post#1 » by bena2005 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:04 pm

close if posted
http://my.nba.com/cms/NBA%20Blogs/Sekou ... ime%20Blog

The Hang Time Hoops Shelter is currently at capacity with the Grizzlies and Kings sleeping in the guest rooms. But if the Raptors keep up their winning ways, we're going to have to make room for them, too.

If the Raptors keep this up, they're going to force a lot of people to change their minds about a team most folks had written off before Christmas.

They are also going to force the Hang Time Hoops Shelter (the Grizzlies and Kings already have their own rooms) to expand a little bit so we can add to the family.

Did you see what Chris Bosh and his crew did to the Magic last night in Orlando?

Did you notice the way the way they handled themselves at crunch time and on the defensive end, two areas of major concern for Jay Triano's team a month ago? Times have changed in Raptorland and for the better.

Those defense-free, uneven performances that marked their play earlier this season have given way to a scrappy bunch, at home and on the road, that refuses to accept a fate dictated by someone else.

The Raptors have a come a long way since stumbling out of the gate early in the season. They are inching closer and closer to the status many predicted for them before this season started.

Winners of seven of their past 10 games, the only team in the Eastern Conference playing as good or better is Cleveland (8-2 in their last 10).

The Raptors sent Magic coach Stan Van Gundy off on a postgame diatribe/rant that you have to see to truly appreciate (and while the coach tries to gather his thoughts and reflect a bit more we'll start clearing out some extra space for the shelter's newest family member):
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Re: NBA.com : Raptors are suprisingly caughting attention 

Post#2 » by Consequence » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:08 pm

I like Sekou Smith. Does he still write in Atlanta, or is this his new gig?
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Re: NBA.com : Raptors are suprisingly catching attention 

Post#3 » by inrapscity » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:14 pm

subtle line saying that the fate of the game's controlled by the refs and stern?
zoo
Junior

Re: NBA.com : Raptors are suprisingly caughting attention 

Post#4 » by zoo » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:34 pm

Consequence wrote:I like Sekou Smith. Does he still write in Atlanta, or is this his new gig?

New gig.
Ah, I see you've played knifey-spoony before....
wiz_khalifa
Freshman

Post#5 » by wiz_khalifa » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:35 pm

were finally coming together as a team
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#6 » by roundhead0 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:52 pm

a scrappy bunch, at home and on the road, that refuses to accept a fate dictated by someone else.

Did anyone else think of the refs when they read this part? :lol:
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#7 » by elitehunter99 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:12 pm

Cack is back...... Triano is a quack!!.. :lol: :lol

I only see this going downhill if that combo see the court in the 4th Q or earlier for that matter.....
Jay_Hawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 144

Post#8 » by Jay_Hawk » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:44 pm

roundhead0 wrote:
a scrappy bunch, at home and on the road, that refuses to accept a fate dictated by someone else.

In my opinion, it's the only thing he could be talking about.

Props to Brunoskull for the sig.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#9 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:49 pm

roundhead0 wrote:

Definitely. And why not, I'm fairly sure he's referencing the refereeing at least in part here, also probably referencing the fact that Orlando was an 8 point favourite to win yesterday, similar situation with SAS.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#10 » by MrBojangelz71 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:56 pm

Funny how posters that possessed common sense, as well as certain media, predicted that the Raps would require time to gel and get going. Factored in with our very difficult early schedule, some of us said to remain patient and understand how this process needs to unfold. Low and behold, as the 2nd half of the season inches closer we are starting to come together. Better yet, as this team gels and gains confidence we are entering into the easiest part of the schedule. We could be 7 or 8 games above .500 by February's end.
I realize this board is plagued with bi polar insane ranters. I know those posters opinions change not day to day but quarter to quarter. Even though we experience a very similar trend back in 06/07, it's funny to watch people travel down the exact same road, apparently learning nothing from the previous experience.
This team is much better than many claimed it could be. Posters that ranted about blowing this up and starting over are now no where to be seen. This team has a legitimate shot at match or exceeding our best season ever and with a few breaks and a bit of luck, a shot at a 2nd round advancement in the playoffs. We still haven't played our best ball yet, I expect that to be reached around the end of February.
ontnut
RealGM

Post#11 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:03 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:Funny how posters that possessed common sense, as well as certain media, predicted that the Raps would require time to gel and get going. Factored in with our very difficult early schedule, some of us said to remain patient and understand how this process needs to unfold. Low and behold, as the 2nd half of the season inches closer we are starting to come together. Better yet, as this team gels and gains confidence we are entering into the easiest part of the schedule. We could be 7 or 8 games above .500 by February's end.
I realize this board is plagued with bi polar insane ranters. I know those posters opinions change not day to day but quarter to quarter. Even though we experience a very similar trend back in 06/07, it's funny to watch people travel down the exact same road, apparently learning nothing from the previous experience.
This team is much better than many claimed it could be. Posters that ranted about blowing this up and starting over are now no where to be seen. This team has a legitimate shot at match or exceeding our best season ever and with a few breaks and a bit of luck, a shot at a 2nd round advancement in the playoffs. We still haven't played our best ball yet, I expect that to be reached around the end of February.

Agreed. I was one of the guys who thought the Raps would make it to the 4-5 seed with ATL, but didn't expect ATL to play this well. When the Raps started struggling I was really really pissed off and stopped watching games at halftime or earlier it was too painful, but I never went around saying blow it up or trade Bosh/Bargnani/the whole team etc. This team has too much talent and desire to succeed not to do well in the long run. In fact I'm happy this team has had to fight through some adversity, it seems to have built some character and bonding within the team, which hopefully leads to us peaking later in the season, rather than going on an early streak of success like the Rockets huge win streak a few years back only to flounder the rest of the season.
Garbo's Hair
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Garbo's Hair » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:05 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:Posters that ranted about blowing this up and starting over are now no where to be seen.

On a related note, where's Harry Palmer these days? Or has he gone back into hiding since Bargs outplayed TD and DH this week?
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#13 » by Mattd97 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:06 pm

funny this is up at the same time as 'we get no respect/attention' thread. bi-polar must be in the water up here or something
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
ontnut
RealGM

Post#14 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:32 pm

Mattd97 wrote:funny this is up at the same time as 'we get no respect/attention' thread. bi-polar must be in the water up here or something

To be fair this title does say that the attention we're getting is a surprise meaning we get no attention to begin with.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#15 » by roundhead0 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:39 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:Funny how posters that possessed common sense, as well as certain media, predicted that the Raps would require time to gel and get going. Factored in with our very difficult early schedule, some of us said to remain patient and understand how this process needs to unfold. Low and behold, as the 2nd half of the season inches closer we are starting to come together. Better yet, as this team gels and gains confidence we are entering into the easiest part of the schedule. We could be 7 or 8 games above .500 by February's end.

I was among those who thought the tough early schedule and the new roster (and also training camp time missed) meant that this team would take time to come together.

However, I was very, very concerned because their continued failings did not appear to be from needing time to gel, but from:

a) effort
b) basic coaching strategies (defense, player rotations)

Those were the major failings as the 1st half of the season progressed, and the team was actually looking worse and worse, hence the doom and gloom. The turnaround is very welcome, and hopefully can be maintained.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#16 » by MEDIC » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:51 pm

roundhead0 wrote:I was among those who thought the tough early schedule and the new roster (and also training camp time missed) meant that this team would take time to come together.

However, I was very, very concerned because their continued failings did not appear to be from needing time to gel, but from:

a) effort

b) basic coaching strategies (defense, player rotations)

Those were the major failings as the 1st half of the season progressed, and the team was actually looking worse and worse, hence the doom and gloom. The turnaround is very welcome, and hopefully can be maintained.

Definitely agree with the bolded part above. I wasn't concerned that they were losing. It was how they were losing. It's apparent now that there there was an issue with the different personalities gelling together & communicating.

At the beginning of the season, I expected the team to be within a few games of .500 by the end of 2009 (which they were) & that they would start gelling & pulling away from the .500 mark.

The seem to be exactly where I predicted they would be.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
mapko81
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#17 » by mapko81 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 8:19 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:This team has a legitimate shot at match or exceeding our best season ever and with a few breaks and a bit of luck, a shot at a 2nd round advancement in the playoffs. We still haven't played our best ball yet, I expect that to be reached around the end of February.

So at least 30-16 the rest of the way, as well as beating one of Atlanta/Boston/Orlando/Cleveland in the first round? I don't know, that's a little too much. It's a long season, some good teams are struggling right now and some average teams are playing well. We should be the 5th seed on account of talent alone, but realistically we won't exceed our best season ever or advance to the 2nd round. This team still has significant flaws. Maybe we pass the 1st round if we get a team with significant injuries.
Rembokz
Banned User

Post#18 » by Rembokz » Thu Jan 7, 2010 9:04 pm

We should be having some Attention
Dyabolikal
Pro Prospect
And1: 292

Post#19 » by Dyabolikal » Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:16 pm

+ ∞
Jakay wrote:We all know PER is just a quantifiable percentage for Players Emulating Rasho anyway, which is why no one, not even Rasho, can even crack 40.
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#20 » by shmoosicle » Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:20 pm

Maybe the guy in my signature won't have to leave Realgm forever now. But I doubt it. I'll just be happy if we finish above .500.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo

Return to Toronto Raptors