ImageImageImageImageImage

Mid-season movement...will there be any?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Mid-season movement...will there be any? 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:37 pm

Anyone expecting any mid-season moves by any teams?
I get the feeling that there will be few trades made - including trades made closer to the deadline.

No trade proposals, please, but anyone thinking of teams that will make trades based on:

a) shedding salary
b) upgrading personel for a deep playoff run

For example, Detroit's a team that's been in a virtual tailspin for 2 seasons. their off-season moves have proven to do little. do they keep their current line-up and hope that things will come together or do they try to build for the future and build around Gordon and CV and ship out Prince or RIP?

The Bobcats have *kind of* been a surprise this season (except the pundits have been expecting some noise from them for the past 2 seasons). Do they try to make another 1 or 2 moves to make a real run in the playoffs?

One would expect some noise or moves to date (IMO, especially in Detroit where Dumars must be on the hot seat) but its been a quiet start to the season. will this continue?
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Re: Mid-season movement...will there be any? 

Post#2 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:38 pm

I fully expect Philly to do something... Anything. They've been the biggest disappointment in the East this season IMO.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#3 » by Spragga » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:40 pm

Utah's got to do something about Boozer. There's no chance he goes back to utah next year. Might as well get something for him.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#4 » by itbobby007 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:44 pm

DET's got alot of issues

Whos the PG - Will Bynum/Rodney Stuckey?
Whos the SG - Ben Gordon/RIP/Stuckey?

Dumars has got to be cooking something up. Prince/Hamilton/Maxiell should be on the move...

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... istons.jsp

I expect HOU to move TMac's expiring before the deadline...that will probably end up being the biggest deal. I can see CHI/NYK as suitors. Also, there is no way WAS goes past the deadline without moving Jamison/Butler or someone for the sake of change.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#5 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:45 pm

I just had one.
Ogopogo
Junior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Ogopogo » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:46 pm

If Miami can get some talent and/or significant help besides Wade and Beasley for JO's expiring, I think Riley will pull the trigger.
Tanking is for pussies.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#7 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:51 pm

Ogopogo wrote:If Miami can get some talent and/or significant help besides Wade and Beasley for JO's expiring, I think Riley will pull the trigger.

i don't think so. that will ruin his 2010 Grand Plans.
Riley would have made his move in the offseason if he was serious about this season.

Yuri Vaultin wrote:I fully expect Philly to do something... Anything. They've been the biggest disappointment in the East this season IMO.

you think they've been a bigger disappointment (with Miller moving out of town and him being part of their success?) than Detroit?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,953

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:54 pm

Rip
Jamison
Butler
Murphy
Boozer

I think the buyers will be Charlotte, Boston, Cleveland, Denver, Portland, maybe Memphis.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#9 » by rdtx2005 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:55 pm

Wizards will probably blow it up
Candide
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Candide » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:56 pm

Marcus Camby has to be traded
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#11 » by Mattd97 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:57 pm

i think there will be, just not from the raptors.
you hafta think portland might look for an expiring big man to lease
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#12 » by mikero » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:58 pm

I can't see too many trades happening this year.... Both conferences are wide open this year (or at least for the final few playoff spots), and I think 12 teams in each have a reasonable shot at postseason play.

I could see a few trades going down though:

Houston - McGrady
Sacramento - Kevin Martin

Golden State, Detroit, Chicago, and Washington may also make some moves
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#13 » by Hassassin » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd expect most teams that are out of the playoff race and are losing money (ie like the Wizards, Jazz, Pacers, 76ers, etc) to heavily consider trades that will shed salaries and reduce their long term financial commitments at the expense of giving up more talent. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte making a move where they take on more long term salary to make a run at the playoffs. Brand for Diaw and Diop makes a lot of sense for both teams.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#14 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:13 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:I fully expect Philly to do something... Anything. They've been the biggest disappointment in the East this season IMO.

you think they've been a bigger disappointment (with Miller moving out of town and him being part of their success?) than Detroit?

Absolutely. Philly were playing well at the end of the season, have a healthy Brand, drafted a young PG and are oozing potential with Young, IGGY and Kapono (sarcasm there).

Detroit signed a dilapidated Ben Wallace - who has been an absolute surprise to be their starter in centre. Ben Gordon and Villanueva were signed, both of which have only come across as one way players IMO. And they have a backcourt that hasn't shown a propensity to pass and Prince has been gradually getting worse.

In fact all the positives in Detroit have been surprises. The Swedish rookie Jonas Jerebko's emergence, Ben Wallace's resurgence and the solid play of will Bynum.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Scott Carefoot
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#15 » by Scott Carefoot » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:23 pm

The Wizards will almost definitely trade Jamison, most likely to the Cavs for Big Z's expiring contract.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#16 » by Komodo » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:26 pm

HA! wrote:I'd expect most teams that are out of the playoff race and are losing money (ie like the Wizards, Jazz, Pacers, 76ers, etc) to heavily consider trades that will shed salaries and reduce their long term financial commitments at the expense of giving up more talent. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte making a move where they take on more long term salary to make a run at the playoffs. Brand for Diaw and Diop makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Definitely logical. Brand has 3 years left after this one. Diop has 3, but Diaw has 2 years left and I think he'd be an exponentially better fit at PF in their system than Brand. The only thing is that it doesn't really save PHI any money, except in 2.5 years when Diaw comes off the cap.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#17 » by djsunyc » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:26 pm

the biggest question is not who will be dumping...but who will be buying?

alot of teams are waiting for 2010...so which teams will actually take on contracts for next season and beyond - that's what will dictate the trade market.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#18 » by djsunyc » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:26 pm

komodo19 wrote:
HA! wrote:I'd expect most teams that are out of the playoff race and are losing money (ie like the Wizards, Jazz, Pacers, 76ers, etc) to heavily consider trades that will shed salaries and reduce their long term financial commitments at the expense of giving up more talent. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte making a move where they take on more long term salary to make a run at the playoffs. Brand for Diaw and Diop makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Definitely logical. Brand has 3 years left after this one. Diop has 3, but Diaw has 2 years left and I think he'd be an exponentially better fit at PF in their system than Brand. The only thing is that it doesn't really save PHI any money, except in 2.5 years when Diaw comes off the cap.

boris diaw is a fat fat fatty. my god...he is terrible right now.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#19 » by Double Helix » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:26 pm

Most of the names being thrown about make sense to me. I suspect it will be like years past where one GM makes a move and then the others scramble around inspired to do something as well.

I've been watching basketball for a lot of years and that always seems to be the case. If a playoff hopeful shakes things up and lands a solid name... I think others in that conference will look to make a move with an eye to this year's playoffs as well and once the phones start ringing... and GMs start making players available... a lot of interesting moves can happen.

All it takes is one big splash.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#20 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:29 pm

Scott Carefoot wrote:The Wizards will almost definitely trade Jamison, most likely to the Cavs for Big Z's expiring contract.

Hasn't big Z spent his entire career with the Cavs, I'd hate to see him traded if they go on to win a ring. I think they should look to trade Shaq first . Let Big Z get his ring and retire the best way possible. Show Lebron, who values loyalty, just what loyalty is.

If they trade Z, then you still have Shaq, Varejoa and Jamison to look for minutes in the front court. Varejao is a big part of what they do, Jamison deserves a lot of minutes, and Shaq may not want to be the odd man out. Big Z, would be a good soldier and trading Shaq would open up minutes for Jamison.

Return to Toronto Raptors