ImageImageImageImageImage

Triano Our New Defensive Coach? (Rumour)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Nohandle
Senior
And1: 10

Triano Our New Defensive Coach? (Rumour) 

Post#1 » by Nohandle » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:02 pm

A reliable "source" (I'm a bartender and talk to a lot of people) told me last night that sometime in late November or early December Triano had a meeting with Colangelo about the defensive shortcomings of the team. The gist of it was that Triano wanted to take over Iavaroni's role as defensive coach. Remember, it was BC who brought Iavaroni in and not Triano.

Obviously no one was happy being the worst defensive team in the NBA and Triano basically told BC he had to give him the responsibility of coaching defense if he wanted to turn the ship around. BC obliged and since then the Raptors have been one of the better defensive teams in the NBA.

If this is true, what do you think Iavaroni's role is now?
Has anyone else heard anything like this?
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Re: Triano Our New Defensive Coach? 

Post#2 » by Kayjay » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:04 pm

I don't know if you being in Vancouver makes you more or less reliable.
beno
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#3 » by beno » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:06 pm

Iavaroni is back at the crapper.
Nohandle
Senior

Post#4 » by Nohandle » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:07 pm

Kayjay wrote:I don't know if you being in Vancouver makes you more or less reliable.

Triano coached and played at SFU, so there's a lot of people in this city that know him personally.
Upgrayedd
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by Upgrayedd » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:07 pm

It's an interesting theory, but I haven't heard of anything like this so I'm guessing that's all it is, a theory.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#6 » by barrist » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:10 pm

What would be the consequences of telling us who the source is?
Candide
Freshman

Post#7 » by Candide » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:13 pm

Nohandle wrote:
Kayjay wrote:I don't know if you being in Vancouver makes you more or less reliable.

Triano coached and played at SFU, so there's a lot of people in this city that know him personally.

so let me get this straight: you didn't get the info from anyone affiliated with the raptors, but from someone who knows Triano. and you got this at a bar, where people drink and can fabricate any story or idea that comes to mind seems a bit far-fetched to me, as if Triano calling up a buddy in Vancouver (i.e. "hey Todd! you're my best friend, so let me tell you what i told my boss to do the other day! you have to promise you won't get drunk at a bar and tell the bartender though!") wasn't already a stretch to begin with.
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#8 » by ImissJordan » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:14 pm

Not that I don't put any stock into your 'source', but we played the same style last year (not contesting outside shots).
Nohandle
Senior

Post#9 » by Nohandle » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:15 pm

barrist wrote:What would be the consequences of telling us who the source is?

Me getting sh*t on by the owners of my bar and by the source himself. Chances are none of them have read realgm before, but I still don't want to risk it.

For the record, I've met Triano at my bar before and he knows quite a few of the regulars.

Candide wrote:as if Triano calling up a buddy in Vancouver (i.e. "hey Todd! you're my best friend, so let me tell you what i told my boss to do the other day! you have to promise you won't get drunk at a bar and tell the bartender though!") wasn't already a stretch to begin with.

That's not how it happened, but I understand your skepticism.
quickymgee
Rookie
And1: 48

Re: Triano Our New Defensive Coach? (Rumour) 

Post#10 » by quickymgee » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:20 pm

hm seems pretty plausible to me. the defensive coverages have been actually pretty different compared to back in november, and i don't really see a reason why you'd make this up, or why some guy at a bar would make something like that up and tell a bartender. and it's not that triano had to have purposefully called up a friend and told him, they could have very easily been catching up over christmas or something, or at a party, whatever, seeing as he's the coach of the raptors, someone might naturally ask why the team suddenly improved in its defense.

not saying that i think this rumour is true or not, but just that it's something that can be considered
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#11 » by McFurious1 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:21 pm

get Iavaroni out of here
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#12 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:27 pm

Upgrayedd wrote:It's an interesting theory, but I haven't heard of anything like this so I'm guessing that's all it is, a theory.

+1
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#13 » by Kayjay » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:35 pm

Yikes.

The beat writers for sure read this place sometimes, so I think we might be getting some awkward questions in scrums in the next couple days.
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#14 » by AB_21 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:38 pm

Sounds plausible. But who cares, really?
MJ23DREAMER
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by MJ23DREAMER » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:47 pm

Look at the way they are playing D now vs. early in the year.

It is basically the same - protecting the "house" and no or little splits with help D on rotations which is pretty much how every NBA team plays. The difference from the start of the year to now is execution. The rotations are way way smoother, crisper and seamless. All of this can be accounted to familiarity and starting to put more and more trust in each other. I said from the start it would take at lest 25 games for this team to gel. Defense will always take a team longer to mesh as it is entirely about giving and helping.

Another two big reasons are record, or shall I say poor record of opposition and more time between games. It's as "simple" as that. Sorry, but there is no more credibility to your words as the barber who cuts the hair of a players best friend and has a "conversation"!!
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#16 » by C Court » Sat Jan 9, 2010 7:58 pm

This tidbit by the OP is not far-fetched at all. I was told something Raptor-related last season by a source who used to play ball with Triano. Turns out he was spot on.

Over the years I have received a ton of great inside info about the Raptors through meeting Raptor coaches and MLSE insiders at decent downtown drinking establishments and striking up conversations with them.

BTW, anyone remember the hammering that a poster on RealGM took last year when he told the story of Bryan and Turk having a chance encounter at a Toronto restaurant when the Magic were in town? Upon returning to his table, Bryan said, " I think we can sign Turk this summer". Of course, RealGMers called BS on the OP, even though the story was proven 100% correct.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#17 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:02 pm

I don't really see it. We are still running the same defense as earlier in the season. I think the main reasons for improved defense is

1) Opposition. Our strategy has being pack the paint and make them hit from the outside. Last couple of weeks we have faced literally teams at the bottom 10 in 3point shooting. Now this probably means our defense wasn't as bad as it looked because of the top heavy schedule early on.

2) Our players are playing better. On the perimeter I have being surprised by the defense of players like Weems/Banks. Also Bargs has dramatically improved his defense. He actually rotating and getting blocks. He is still abit inconsistent but he is dramatically better. Also if you notice Rasho/Amir are getting less time. That means we are playing with more mobile rotations (Turko/Weems) sometimes at the 4.

3) Schedule is favorable again. We are playing not only horrible teams but teams in the right spot. For instance we have played Magic during their recent struggle. We played good Houston team on early Sunday game. We played Celtics team without Peirce/KG/Rondo, however we couldn't take advantage. Plus having more games at home with some 1/2/3 day rests helps.
RUN-TMR
Junior

Post#18 » by RUN-TMR » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:03 pm

what is your bar called?
LebronMJ23
Banned User

Post#19 » by LebronMJ23 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:11 pm

Defensive improvement = injured Calderon

YES, Calderon is THAT bad
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#20 » by KingstonRaptors » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:11 pm

I don't know why the OP (whose been a member longer than some Mods) would make false accusations, and it does seem plausible. My only question, what's Ivaroni's job now on the team and how did he take the news?
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.

Return to Toronto Raptors