ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts On Current Raps Squad Developing Into A Contender

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptor04
Senior
And1: 9

Thoughts On Current Raps Squad Developing Into A Contender 

Post#1 » by Raptor04 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:01 pm

Although I hate to base big theories on a small sample size, thinking about our team development got me thinking about how this Raptors team can develop into a championship contender down the road. So basically, do you:

1. Feel that the players we've paired have a chance to develop into contenders? (with minor changes ofcourse)

2. How far do you think we're away?

In my opinion, I am very ecstatic about the possibility of our core developing some solid chemistry. I always thought Bosh/Bargs could work out, and if anything the last stretch has proved that. Not because they're shooting well or playing better defense, but because the communication and trust in each other has seemed to develop. We also have a rookie who I think will turn into something special. All hopes aside, I think the Raps need to do the following in order to become a contender:

-Need Bosh to resign. He's still only 25 and is far from being the leader he can be, but I think that will come with added desire to win in the playoffs. Right now, he's probably dying for that 2nd round appearance, but still skeptical with the top 4 playing the way they are. Once we make some noise, he won't want to stop at the 2nd round much like players like Wade and LeBron have tasted that success far too much to be contempt. I think he gets knocked alot for his defense too because we've seen what he's capable of ala Beijing defense. It's just a matter of trusting himself to play tougher without gettig fouls, because I think that's what limits him from playing his toughest. Its a smart thing since we need him to stay out of foul trouble, but the minute he figures out how to use all that energy smartly, we'll have one of the better rebounders and defenders in the league at the four.

-Constant development from Bargnani. I think as long as we keep Bosh, his offense won't be a problem. He's developing a post game and there isn't any offensive matchup like the killer B's in the league in terms of PF/C. His defense however needs to turn into consistant defense and he needs to improve alot in terms of his rebounding abilities. I'd say that he's a 50% chance to go either way on that one.

-Derozan. I honestly feel that it will take a few years, but he's shown he can be a 2 way player, and his offensive and defensive potential is not limited at all. He can turn into a borderline all-star, and that would be phenomenal for the Raps.

-Supporting cast. I think we need to keep the cast of Jack, Belinelli, Johnson and Turkoglu together for as long as Turk/Jack's contract runs till. They can't be dealing with midway trades when they need to just gain chemistry playing together, and they all have enough tools offensively and defensively to keep us even throughout the game. These are the players that won't decide the game, but will help keep stability throughout the game. Its upto Bosh/Bargs/DD in a few years, and by that time, this group should have enough chemisry to understand their roles on both ends.

-In terms of additions, I think the Raps will need down the road a strong 6th man offensive turret like a Barbosa type of player to replace Jose. Kinda like the player everyone wishes Belinelli can turn into, but I don't think that's fair to expect that from him. We'd also need to add a better quality vet swingman (like a Wright, except alot more polished) and an in the paint stopper vet (both who would likely sign with us for cheap as they saw us developing into a contender destination (this would require some ECF pushes).

Realistically, I'd say we're a far way away from thinking about a championship. But I like our core, and its upto the players to develop chemistry together now for a solid 3 years. That means we shouldn't be expecting much past a ECF challenge (so really a strong push in the 2nd round) for the next 3 years. These 3 years will be crucial to the development of Bargnani and Derozan.

Let's aim for 2013 to see this team with a solid chance of getting in the ECF.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Re: Thoughts Current Raps Squad Developing Into A Contender 

Post#2 » by s e n s i » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm an advocate for continuity. Just like the notion that we'd never go deep with the personnel we currently have, it's likely just as difficult if were revamping a good chunk of our roster between each season.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Re: Thoughts On Current Raps Squad Developing Into A Contender 

Post#3 » by AB_21 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:19 pm

Keys to developing into championship contender

1. Keep Bosh
2. Derozan's development
3. Turk not falling off completely (I believe his game translates really well into becoming a 3rd option with some vet leadership on a top team)
4. Adding a piece/having another piece emerge (Amir getting an offensive game/FA pickup like a Jamal Crawford-esque player)
ProjectChester
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by ProjectChester » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:28 pm

The future one to three years from now:

Bosh: Allstar
Bargnani: Allstar
Hedo: Anthony Parker when he was 30.
Derzoan: Kobe Bryant 0.59
BANKSSSS: just for the heck of it.

That team equals championship.

Also you have to consider that the rest of league will be washed up.
Celtics will be old as fossils. Cavs won't have Shaq. Orlando won't have Vince...etc.

You see....teams that are contending right now won't be able to in the future. Teams that are too young and building will have to wait a long time to contend. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE. Just the right age...good talent with experience.

Bargs and Bosh will be the most dominent duo in the new decade.
ahson
Rookie
And1: 29

Post#5 » by ahson » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:32 pm

What about Grizz, Hawks, etc? They are young and talented and even better than Raps (at least Hawks at this point).
ProjectChester
Banned User

Post#6 » by ProjectChester » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes those and us are the teams in the future. But I don't the Hawks will be better than us. Johnson is old, Bibby is old, Crawford is just crusty.

Our Young Guns are going to have the athletism and they are developing extremely well right now.
Think about it:

Weems
Amir
Belinelli
Derozan(ALL STAR)

+ What we have now...

Our team is going to be STACKED!!!
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#7 » by satyr9 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:49 pm

To be a true contender with the current group you'd need DD to become a legit elite wing IMO (not top 5 at the position but top 10-12) and Bargs would have to become a real lane intimidator. Hedo is best suited as 3rd type vet presence and with him and Bosh as the others in the frontcourt Bargs would have to be a guy that alters shots in the lane.

How likely you think that is is up to you. Basically I'm saying from my perspective the roster is going to need a serious tweak here or there to get to the legit contender category 'cause I wouldn't place a high likelihood on those two things happening.

Forgot to mention keep Bosh is basically the first key. There's no scenario that loses Bosh and gets them better in the near future. Maybe for long term to balance the frontcourt if you get proper value, but at that point we're talking a draft pick and a fairly long wait. JMO
LebronMJ23
Banned User

Post#8 » by LebronMJ23 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:52 pm

not with CACK it aint happenin
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#9 » by JWiLL02 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:53 pm

ProjectChester wrote:Yes those and us are the teams in the future. But I don't the Hawks will be better than us. Johnson is old, Bibby is old, Crawford is just crusty.

Our Young Guns are going to have the athletism and they are developing extremely well right now.
Think about it:

Weems
Amir
Belinelli
Derozan(ALL STAR)

+ What we have now...

Our team is going to be STACKED!!!

Johnson 28
Josh Smith 24
Horford 23
M Williams 23
Teague 21

28 isn't old...and JJ's game will translate well into his early 30s. He's a crafty, powerful ball handler with a great post game. He's never relied on athleticism and should be able to maintain a decent first step for quite awhile.

I actually see the Hawks as one of our key rivals if we keep Bosh and can develop into a semi-contender (pretty much where ATL is at now). Let's hope we can acquire some skilled athletes to keep up with them in that regard, Demar is a good start.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
ProjectChester
Banned User

Post#10 » by ProjectChester » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:55 pm

^Where's their bench?
theflash1234
Senior
And1: 1

Post#11 » by theflash1234 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:56 pm

bipolar
Minge wrote:Kobe drips ball sweat into my mouth at night and it sooths me to sleep.

DelaneyRudd wrote:
HTown_TMac wrote:You DO understand that after a certain age you dont get much taller, right?

It's that kind of attitude that has kept T-Mac at 6'8 his entire career.
RUN-TMR
Junior

Post#12 » by RUN-TMR » Sat Jan 9, 2010 8:57 pm

what the team needs is an elite ballhandler who can breakdown defenses. derozan will be good but he'll never do that -- he could be a great defender and we need that too, but i'm talking about a 'rondo' 'tony parker' type who can threaten any defense that is forced to compensate once the first man is beat and who can defend on his own on the other end. since we don;t have a top 5 player -- and likely won't for a long time -- we can't rely on a solid but unspectacular PG like LA, CLE or even Orlando. bosh and bargs staying together, Derozan developing into a great 2-way player in the gerald wallace mould, turko staying as an effective 6th man as he ages, the bench 'core' of amir, belli, and weems staying hungry and improving and then a really good pg. that could be about as close as we might realistically get. interestingly, this upcoming draft features more than a few top talent guards not named john wall (malcolm lee, avery bradley, willie warren).
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#13 » by JWiLL02 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:00 pm

ProjectChester wrote:^Where's their bench?

How am I supposed to know what the Hawks bench will look like in a couple years?

They have a solid bench right now, and plenty of opportunity to build on that going forward.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#14 » by elitehunter99 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:08 pm

If Bosh and Amir resign we have the following......

Bargnani/Bosh/Turkoglu/???????/????????
????????/Amir/Derozan/Belinelli/Jack

IMO, its hard to predict what Derozan will turn into.... His handles are the biggest obstacle keeping him from becoming a dominant scorer.... He could become a slashing small forward like Trevor Ariza who plays with hustle, but it would be very difficult for the guy to become a goto scorer without the ability to break down a defender....

We would still need another dominant backcourt player and possibly another solid rotation big to anchor the D before all the bandwagon raptor faithful start prophesying NBA championships for this lineup....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#15 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:12 pm

1. Contenders yes, winning a championship, no. The reason for me is that, we still cant rebound/play D consistently, and show alot of lapses still, and ultimately it takes getting stops to win ships. We can be alot like a PHX type team, but it will never be a team that can win when the shots arent dropping. Granted, we have enough offensive firepower across the board, that sometimes it can mask that. I just want more turnovers, and stops.

2. How far is dependant on style of play you think can win. Do we need to trade Jose for a ballhawking PG? Do we need to trade Bargs for a shotblocking, rebounder? Do we need to do both in order the get, what I think is a balance of O and D. Its subjective and tough to say as theres so many viariables involved, with the current roster I dont think it would need a tweak but someone from our "core" to go.
A Space Cow
Senior

Post#16 » by A Space Cow » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:29 pm

It is impossible to forecast what will happen this off season. My money is on no.
GD13
Pro Prospect
And1: 98

Post#17 » by GD13 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:32 pm

Okay we won a couple of games, don`t boost the Raptors too much.
When they start losing, everyones gonna be like trade Bosh, trade Hedo and all this nexx shyt.

Raps aint gonna be no Championship contenders any time soon, unless some serious changes are made.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#18 » by Fred Williamson » Sat Jan 9, 2010 10:23 pm

:rofl: :lol: you guys can be glad if you make the playoffs
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#19 » by ghuytro » Sat Jan 9, 2010 10:26 pm

Fred Williamson wrote::rofl: :lol: you guys can be glad if you make the playoffs

Having trouble interpreting this post…
Major_9000
Bench Warmer
And1: 13

Post#20 » by Major_9000 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 10:40 pm

Bargs is the key...when he plays at a high level this is a deadly team.

Return to Toronto Raptors