Daily Papers Jan 16/10

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Daily Papers Jan 16/10 

Post#1 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 am

Toronto Sun
Beasts of Broadway

“I think we learned something from Indiana,” Chris Bosh said. “Even though they did make runs, we didn’t get too, too out of whack. We kept that in our minds. We were all business at half time, we didn’t feel like we had done anything. I know I didn’t at least. We just have to keep that same focus for the whole game. We started out that third quarter well but we fell off a bit there.”

The Knicks were stone-cold from the field in the first half but led by Danilo Gallinari and a red-hot Al Harrington in the second, made things interesting.

Were it not for the equally hot night from Andrea Bargnani, who really rose to the occasion on Italian Heritage Night at Madison Square Garden, Gallinari and Harrington, with 26 and 31 respectively, might have stole this one back.

Raptors Replay

NEW YORK -- OOPS

Italian Heritage Night at Madison Square Garden got off to a bumpy start before the introductions were even over. Raptors centre Andrea Bargnani, one of three Italian NBAers on the floor last night, was introduced with his proper name but hailing from Villaneuva de la Serena, Spain, which, of course, is the hometown of Jose Calderon, not Bargnani who comes from Rome.

Toronto Star
Bargnani lets three pointers fly

It's been nearly four years since Andrea Bargnani, the Raptors' 7-footer, was selected first overall in the 2006 draft, and in those years Bargnani has showcased gifts and inconsistencies in sometimes maddening measures. So it wasn't long after Bargnani landed in the NBA that some observers began suggesting the Raptors might not be employing Italy's best NBA prospect. A kid from Milan named Danilo Gallinari, the buzz was, could turn out to be better.

Bargnani, 24, would never admit that the talk rankled him. But on Friday night, when he scored 24 points to lead the Raptors to a 112-104 win over the 21-year-old Gallinari and the New York Knicks, he certainly played like it did.

National Post
Bargnani dazzles in Raptors win over Knicks

Now, more than any other time in his career, Bargnani's game is resembling the full package. It was all on display in New York. He started the night with three early three-pointers, before capitalizing on the defence's reaction to that with a ferocious dunk. He also scored from the post on a few occasions, including a pretty 14-foot hook shot in the fourth quarter.

Bargnani wound up with 24 points on nine-of-13 shooting. He added 12 rebounds for his second straight double-double.

Although Bargnani was the star, he got some help, particularly from rookie DeMar DeRozan. The swingman got to the free-throw line 14 times, finishing with 19 points. In all, six Raptors scored in double digits.

Globe and Mail
Raptors undress Knickerbockers

The game was televised live at 2 a.m. in Italy, home of the 2004 Olympic basketball silver medalists. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was a star player and championship-winning coach in Italy.

“I'm just really happy to see a lot of Italian players playing in the league and I think there will be more,” D'Antoni said before the game. “It's fun and obviously it conjures a lot of great memories that I had.”

It wasn't any fun for him once the game started.

The Raptors made six of their first eight shots, then extended the lead to 24-8 after Bargnani drove down the lane for a powerful dunk that brought Toronto's bench players leaping to their feet in celebration. Apparently annoyed, Lee threw one down about a minute later and jumped up and down right in Bargnani's face, bumping into him and drawing a technical foul.

NyTimes
Raptors remind Knicks what boos sound like

David Lee returned after missing Thursday’s practice to attend the funeral of his grandfather, E. Desmond Lee, in Missouri. Lee scored 11 of his 25 points in the third quarter to help slice into a deficit that had ballooned to 28 points.

“We’re missing open shots, layups and everything,” Coach Mike D’Antoni said. “It took us a while to get into it. We didn’t do it. It’s stating the obvious, but that was the game.”

Toronto’s lead dipped below 10 only three times in the second half. When Al Harrington’s 3 made the score 89-80, DeMar DeRozan answered with two baskets. Moments later, Nate Robinson’s jumper cut the score to 93-85 before Jose Calderon scored twice, followed by Hedo Turkoglu’s basket.

Raptors Chris Bosh likes Garden, not the glare

“Everybody in the league likes coming to the Garden and playing here,” said Bosh, who had 18 points and 4 rebounds in the Raptors’ 112-104 victory against the Knicks on Friday night. “It’s just a nice place because of everything that happened here, especially for me. I played my first big game here.”

His comments echoed those of the league’s other stars who are free-agents in waiting. The Garden is a nice place to play, they say. Whether Bosh or others decide to make it their home this summer when they are likely to become free agents is the larger issue.

Through Thursday, Bosh was averaging a career-high 24 points and 11.3 rebounds. The Raptors are 20-20, having won 8 of 11 games after finding trouble integrating new players this season.

“We had nine brand new guys from last year and 12 from training camp a year ago,” Raptors Coach Jay Triano said. “It just takes a little time for everybody to get to know each other and jell a little bit.”

NY Daily News
Knicks cant stop Raptors Offense

"We are friends but of course there is competition," said Bargnani. "I think that's normal."

With six minutes remaining in the first half the Knicks had scored 28 and were trailing by 28. Those numbers usually add up to disaster but that only tells part of the story of the first half. Jared Jeffries was called for a flagrant foul and Lee earned his first technical foul for taunting Bargnani.

Lee was responding to Bargnani .celebrating after dunking over both Lee and Wilson Chandler. Moments later, Lee converted an uncontested slam and began imitating the Italian center by jumping around and screaming. Lee has played with more emotion than in years past but in this case he went Nate Robinson on everybody and was booked by referee Zach .Zarba.

"I like Andrea, he's a good guy," Lee said. "He celebrated so I celebrated. I was just trying to do something to get us going."

Bosh assigned same locker as Allstars in MSG

Chris Bosh's uniform was hanging from the same locker room stall that was assigned to Amar'e Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Joe Johnson when those All-Stars visited Madison Square Garden earlier this season.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence that four free agents from the class of 2010 were given the same locker in the visiting dressing room. But it is no secret that if the Knicks can't land LeBron James this summer, they wouldn't mind seeing Wade, Stoudemire, Johnson or Bosh suiting up down the hall next season.

Bosh's future could be decided before July 1, as trade reports continue to swirl around the Raptors' All-Star forward, who entered Friday night's game averaging 24 points and 11.3 rebounds per game. The theory is that if the Raptors are convinced that they can't re-sign Bosh in July, they will attempt to trade him next month.

New York Knicks still evaluating Toronto Rapor Chris Bosh before 2010 free agency

The Knicks brain trust is also split on what to make of him. Is he worth the money? Is he really that much of an upgrade over David Lee?

Those are legitimate questions about Bosh, who Friday night visits the Garden for the first time this season. Knicks president Donnie Walsh is hoping to have enough available cap space next summer to sign two impact free agents. Bosh is on the Knicks' radar, but his situation could change dramatically over the next month.

Bosh, a 6-10 All-Star, could be dealt by the Raptors before the Feb. 18 trading deadline if the club feels it doesn't have a realistic chance of re-signing him. Even though Toronto maintains that it is committed to building around Bosh, some NBA executives are convinced that he will head to Miami to play with Wade.

Sporting News
Raps/Mavs preview

The Dallas Mavericks know they blew a chance to get their fourth straight win in their last game. A home matchup with the Toronto Raptors appears to give them a good opportunity to bounce back.

The Mavericks look to rebound from a disheartening defeat with their 10th straight home win over the Raptors on Saturday night.

After a season-opening loss to Washington, Dallas (3-2) won three straight, including a road victory over the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers and a dramatic comeback win over Utah.

Game Pics

RealGM Girl (Sophia Vergara)

Sunshine Girl

*Good game by Deroz nice to see. Getting to the line 14 times is fantastic. Enjoy the lengthy papers, alot today. NY wasnt as crazy about Bosh as I thought they would tho.
**Enjoy the fam Veez, hit me up tonight.
***SS Girl has some Cameltoe today. And whats with the fraudian slip, the Toronto Rapors?
bingolong
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Re: Daily Papers Jan 16/10 

Post#2 » by bingolong » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks for the papers VVV. Both girls look good today.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#3 » by KingstonRaptors » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for the early papers. Damn, that's some nice buns.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#4 » by Dr Octagon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks. :D
Rembokz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Rembokz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 pm

That first game photo should be the new Adidas Commercial, It's on me For My Italian Brotherhood :D
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#6 » by timdunkit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for the papers :)
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#7 » by youngLion » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for the papers. The game pics are a nice touch.
Moginly
Banned User

Post#8 » by Moginly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:58 pm

There's also report cards in today's National Post:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... z0cn8HY28K
Marcus Banks, guard: B-
He stepped in adequately when Calderon missed significant time because of injury. That is all Banks is counted on for.

Andrea Bargnani, forward/centre: B
Aside from yet another poor December, Bargnani has improved on defence and on the glass (incrementally) while his offence has varied.

Marco Belinelli, guard: C
He has provided some punch occasionally, but Belinelli's shooting percentage is down almost five points compared to last year.

Chris Bosh, forward/centre: A
The all-star is scoring and rebounding at a career-best pace, and you can count his off nights on one hand. On merit, he would start in the All-Star Game.

Jose Calderon, guard: C
Calderon missed 12 games because of a hip injury. When he has been on the floor, his defence has remained poor. His aggressiveness on offence has picked up lately.

DeMar DeRozan, guard/forward: B-
Some nights, the rookie has looked out of place; on others, his ability to get to the rim has been revelatory. His inconsistency is that of the typical rookie.

Reggie Evans, forward: Inc
He has not played all year because of a mid-foot sprain he suffered in the pre-season. There are theories his toughness will help this team. For now, they remain merely theories.

Jarrett Jack, guard: B
The free-agent signing had an abysmal start, but after the first dozen games, Jack has proven to be an upgrade over Calderon defensively, as well as capable at the other end of the court.

Amir Johnson, forward/centre: B
The Energizer bunny of Raptors reserves, Johnson competes on glass better than any Raptor not named Bosh. He is not always smart with his fouls, however.

Rasho Nesterovic, centre: C
He is still a joy to have around the locker room, but Nesterovic has not earned consistent minutes in frontcourt, even with Evans' injury.

Patrick O'Bryant, centre: Inc
His Twitter feed is the most enlightening and amusing of any Raptor. However, on most nights he is in a suit.

Hedo Turkoglu, forward: D
The US$53-million man has replaced Bargnani as the most unreliable player on the team. He must be more assertive in finding his role with the club.

Sonny Weems, guard/forward: B
Originally seen as an afterthought in the deal that brought Johnson to Toronto, Weems' athleticism and playmaking ability have made him the surprise of the season.

Antoine Wright, guard/forward: D
Minor injuries have plagued Wright. When he has been healthy, though, he has shown precious little of the defensive acumen that he has been known for.

Jay Triano, coach: C+
It has been a while since the Raptors' x's and o's have been as refined as they are this year. However, his team continues to suffer mental lapses. Also, the failure to integrate Turkoglu has to fall on the coach, at least in part.

vancityballer
Rookie
And1: 153

Post#9 » by vancityballer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for the papers, pics and ladies! The grades from Moginly (I'm assuming that's not referring to Alex Mogilny?) are appreciated as well.
The more posts of yours I read, the dumber I get
Moginly
Banned User

Post#10 » by Moginly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 pm

vancityballer wrote:Thanks for the papers, pics and ladies! The grades from Moginly (I'm assuming that's not referring to Alex Mogilny?) are appreciated as well.

haha, actually it is referring to alex. I spelled it wrong the first time I made a username out of his name so that I wouldn't have to put numbers in front of it. Now when I make a username I don't even think to try the actual spelling.
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Viperstrike » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks For The Papers.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#12 » by Nolan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the papers.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,977

Post#13 » by MEDIC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:50 pm

LOL.........I always get a chuckel out of these hackey sac pictures. There are so many of them in the NBA. You'd think you'd see more guys rolling around on the floor in pain, bag gently in hand....

* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#14 » by Jakay » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:09 pm

You don't feel pain when you have balls of steel.

Return to Toronto Raptors