ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Bargnani going to make the all star team?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

34_fifty
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Re: Is Bargnani going to make the all star team? 

Post#21 » by 34_fifty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:13 pm

I think bargnani might make it just because of the fact that many of the all stars might not participate in it. So, KG, AI and maybe PP might not play in the game because injury risk/relaxation for the rest of the season cause of their age.

P.S. If AI decides to play the game and start would the sixers be the worst team of all time to have an all star?
ff_29
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#22 » by ff_29 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
_venom_ wrote:
Lionel Messi wrote:
That Knicks high tempo offense has slowed down severely in the last month or so. Their pace is at 93.8, the Raptors is at 93.0 to compare. Lee's stats are not as a result of the D'Antoni system.

He's playing 39 minutes per game since December 1st, up from 32mpg, which is a big reason why his rebounding has gone up.

Not to mention he's the only good rebounder on a team full of chuckers.

Lee's OREB% is actually down for the last 2 years, compared to previous seasons. In fact, his total rebounding numbers were better actually better the 2 years before D'Antoni arrived.

Look at his per 36 #s

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eda02.html

He's not doing what he's doing as a result of extended minutes or coaching/philosophy. He's been a very efficient scorer and rebounder since day 1 (TS% of ~ 60, 10+ boards/36 since his 2nd year). Now if you're saying that his numbers are meaningless because he doesn't play on a winning team, that's a different story.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#23 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:NO

Teams that are 500 or below don't get two all stars.

He's playing well but He's clearly less deserving than Horford or Perkins.

Off the top of my head, Shaq and Wade made it from the Heat in 06/07, Mutumbo and AI made it from the Sixers in 01/02. Those teams were .500 I think. The Raps were around .500 or so when Vince and AD made it. I think the Rockets must have been around .500 when Francis and Yao made it, and the early 00's Knicks put a few guys on the team at once, but didn't have a great team. I would think if we broadened the search to teams maybe up to 5 games over .500, we'd see a bunch more. That's a record the Raps have a month to get to, and is not inconceivable.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#24 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:17 pm

_venom_ wrote:
Lionel Messi wrote:
Not to mention he's the only good rebounder on a team full of chuckers.

Does that mean Bosh's rebounding numbers are inflated because he's the only good rebounder in the starting lineup? Does that mean that Dwight Howard's rebounding numbers are inflated because he play's next to Rashard Lewis?

Yes. Although the stats show that OReb% stays roughly the same, no matter who you play with (to an extent) but DReb% drops when you play with other strong rebounders. What's weird about Bosh and Bargs is that when Bargs rebounds a lot, like 9 or more boards in a game, Bosh's rebounding total also increases. So when bargs has been putting up 9+ rpg, either the D is better and the Raps are forcing more misses which increases both guys rebounding totals, and/or Bargs is just taking more boards from other Raps not named Bosh and the opposition.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#25 » by Anatomize » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Something has to be done about this fan voting stuff.. in other sports the All-stars are all current, not washed up vets.. no t-mac.. iverson.. Shaq..

As for Bargnani, it's going to be tough with Shaq, Horford, and David Lee.. fan voting = a bitch
I hate pod 6
Junior
And1: 10

Post#26 » by I hate pod 6 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Not a chance this year
Rembokz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Rembokz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I think he is,
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#28 » by timdunkit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Probably not this year unless injuries happen but ... I think its funny that when Jose is having a good season he had so much support for an all-star backup in 07/08 ...
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#29 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:30 pm

If the Raps win 9-10 of the 12 games left up to the all star break (which is definitely possible) and Bargs is putting up 20/~8-9 over that stretch and keeps up his 2010 D, then he can certainly get selected by the coaches, although Horford would more than likely still get the spot due to the Hawks record.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#30 » by tylrrr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm fine with Shaq making it. If he does, it won't be from votes, and he deserves a send off (unlike Knee-Mac and the Canswer).
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#31 » by stopnpop » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 pm

As of the latest release of voting, and current player stats IMO it looks like this
starters
C- D12
F-KG(Bosh)
F-LBJ
G-Wade
G-AI(Joe Johnson)

KG/AI, both sit out due to injury; CB4 AND JJ sub in

Bench:
Horford
Rondo
Pierce
Jamison(stats are good, and they need something positive from DC)
G. Wallace
D.Lee
Granger

on the cusp: Rose, Captain Jack, J. Smith, Bogut, A. Iggy, Lopez ....after that group is Barney's group of candidates...so he wont make it this year
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#32 » by Jakay » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:27 pm

steve_steamer wrote:with a better team record yes. if raps were in top3 with few losses far and in between, he would be there.

soon he will be there no matter wat!.

This sums it up. Raps aren't good enough to warrant two All-star this year (unless the coaches zig instead of zag). Think of the Nets last year when Vince was playing well enough to warrant a spot but Jameer Nelson and Mo Williams are actually all-stars. Uh-huh.

I think he's playing well enough to warrant consideration this year, but it'd be a surprise to see him get in.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#33 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:04 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
Too Late Crew wrote:NO

Teams that are 500 or below don't get two all stars.

He's playing well but He's clearly less deserving than Horford or Perkins.

Off the top of my head, Shaq and Wade made it from the Heat in 06/07, Mutumbo and AI made it from the Sixers in 01/02. Those teams were .500 I think. The Raps were around .500 or so when Vince and AD made it. I think the Rockets must have been around .500 when Francis and Yao made it, and the early 00's Knicks put a few guys on the team at once, but didn't have a great team. I would think if we broadened the search to teams maybe up to 5 games over .500, we'd see a bunch more. That's a record the Raps have a month to get to, and is not inconceivable.

I should have been more specific and said COACHES don't name two all stars from teams 500 or below.

Fans don't care about record. heck fans don't care if the guy even plays.

Bosh is way behind KG and Lebron. The coaches will need to name him (and they should name him) That would mean they would also need to name Bargs.

Those other examples at least one of the players (if not both) were voted by the fans. Coaches don't tend to give multiple coach picks to teams that are not well over 500. If Bosh were to be voted to the staring lineup Bargs chances would increase . I also think that coaches tend to reward players that they rember as having an impact against them that caused their team to win. Coaches rember and reward Kedirck Perkins putting up 15 12 and 5 blocks against them in a win rather than Bargs putting up 25 and 6 in a loss.
34_fifty
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Post#34 » by 34_fifty » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:14 am

David lee is not an all-star. For petes sake hes playing like the entire game just to pad his stats to get into the game.

P.S. LOL @ the knicks fans calling the raptors crap team last night.
LebronMJ23
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by LebronMJ23 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:28 am

Yes...Bust a nanny will start of Dwight Howardina
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#36 » by jrsmith » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:58 am

Absolutely no chance this year, no matter what happens these next dozen games. If he keeps playing like this though, next year he should have a great shot at it.

Return to Toronto Raptors