ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Need some tech help

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TimoCruz
Starter
And1: 221

OT- Need some tech help 

Post#1 » by TimoCruz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Hey,

I understand this should be in another forum, but because its a bit urgent and i know some computer geniuses roam the Raptors forum, i decided to post it here. So if mods can leave it here for a while.

My brothers email got hacked recently and some guy was asking for money. Typical scam. But the issue here is, one of my brothers friends actually took it seriously and sent him the money.

Now, is there any way to track the last ip that visited the email. Would Yahoo be able to do that. Is there any way to get the money back (via tracking the bank account or even asking the police to make an investigation) I know the police might be a bit far fetched, but im guessing it would be the last resort.

Anyone have any experiences with stuff like this?
Courtesy of TurboZone
ProjectChester
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: OT- Need some tech help 

Post#2 » by ProjectChester » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

where does he want the money dropped off?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,450

Post#3 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Not a tech guy, and have no experience with it, but it seems like a crime (fraud) has been committed, so you should definitely inform the police. They can potentially work with your isp or e-mail provider to run an IP trace.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
SuminderJi
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#4 » by SuminderJi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Unfortunately no. When an email is sent out it is sent to a mail server. The mail exchange is then used to resolve the addresses and eventually forwarded to the right mailbox. The only way you can track who visited what account is by getting an injunction by the police (court) and asking Yahoo to look into it. The only way YOU would be privy to such information is putting a fishing exploit in the email itself which I assume you haven't and in most cases is illegal (especially on a public server like Yahoo)...
So umm this is where people write stuff that they wanted repeated again, and again, and again.

I will NOT fall in that trap...

...darn
inonba
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#5 » by inonba » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm

In a situation like this, there's not a lot you can do. Yahoo wouldn't give out that type of information without a court order compelling them.

How did your friend send money? You best bet would probably contacting law enforcement assuming the destination of the money isn't off shore like most scams are.

By the given information, it's unlikely your friend will see a single cent back.
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#6 » by raps4life~ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm

google has a feature where you can see where the last few log ins occurred (IP). not sure about yahoo mail tho.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#7 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:58 pm

any smart scammer would cover their tracks quite well.
so i would give up.
probably from some former USSR satelite country...so having justice served is slim
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#8 » by ranger001 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Fraud is involved so you definitely contact the police. Unless its a kid involved you likely wont be able to track the money but you can try. If a cheque was sent you'd know who cashed it. Contact your bank.
delija
Sophomore

Post#9 » by delija » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

your friend is an idiot....
Glory Glory Man United!

Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#10 » by Veggamattic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Not a tech guy, and have no experience with it, but it seems like a crime (fraud) has been committed, so you should definitely inform the police. They can potentially work with your isp or e-mail provider to run an IP trace.

I had $93000 in product stolen from my company in 2002 by a Romanian internet fraud ring and the RCMP told me to call them when I lost some big money. Just hope that the fraud is national not international.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#11 » by Veggamattic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:08 pm

delija wrote:your friend is an idiot....

Is that really necessary...why be such an ****.
ProjectChester
Banned User

Post#12 » by ProjectChester » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Did the guy change your password?? WOulnd't he need ur secret questions and answer stuff
delija
Sophomore

Post#13 » by delija » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:22 pm

well its true...if you using the internet and you are still not aware of different scams or even worse believe someone over an email to send them money.......idiot is the least offensive word in this situation
Glory Glory Man United!

whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#14 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:26 pm

1) make all his contacts aware of this
2) contact Yahoo directly to take over the account ASAP - they will do it
TimoCruz
Starter
And1: 221

Post#15 » by TimoCruz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:26 pm

delija wrote:well its true...if you using the internet and you are still not aware of different scams or even worse believe someone over an email to send them money.......idiot is the least offensive word in this situation

Ever thought about the fact, that some have lives and a family to take care of. And dont sit on internet forums trying to be a douche. In fact, i would consider his friend to be loyal towards my brother.
Courtesy of TurboZone
delija
Sophomore

Post#16 » by delija » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:35 pm

That personal stuff is beside the point...which i dont care about quite frankly. As well you don't need to sit on the forums to know that internet scams are around just like as you dont need to go on the streets everyday to know that you will get mugged in a bad neighborhood...

see my point

all i am saying is that its terrible judgment....
Glory Glory Man United!

Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,063

Post#17 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:49 pm

You should consult with the police.

Meanwhile, the criminal could be outside of Canada, so at least you are physically safe.
However, there might not be a lot of effort from the police, but at least you did the right thing to report crimes.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#18 » by deck » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:19 pm

delija wrote:That personal stuff is beside the point...which i dont care about quite frankly. As well you don't need to sit on the forums to know that internet scams are around just like as you dont need to go on the streets everyday to know that you will get mugged in a bad neighborhood...

see my point

So I suppose eveyone who gets mugged is an idiot also? What a ridiculous thing to say.
If you are not going to give advise to help this guy, why even post?

To the OP, as others have said, the only way to track the IP is via the ISP where the fraudulent email originated from. But chances are, this will be a dead end anyway.

If the transaction was conducted electronically, it may be possible to have it reversed, but if the hacker has already drawn the funds, you may be out of luck.
delija
Sophomore

Post#19 » by delija » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm

deck wrote:
delija wrote:That personal stuff is beside the point...which i dont care about quite frankly. As well you don't need to sit on the forums to know that internet scams are around just like as you dont need to go on the streets everyday to know that you will get mugged in a bad neighborhood...

see my point

So I suppose eveyone who gets mugged is an idiot also? What a ridiculous thing to say.

To the OP, as others have said, the only way to track the IP is via the ISP where the fraudulent email originated from. But chances are, this will be a dead end anyway.

If the transaction was conducted electronically, it may be possible to have it reversed, but if the hacker has already drawn the funds, you may be out of luck.

noo..its just a matter of common sense. if you get mugged you cant really help that and you dont have control over it but to click on a link and the go through the whole money process transfer which takes couple of clicks and minutes (where you can think things through) and still go through with it...ya thats just idiotic
Glory Glory Man United!

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#20 » by MEDIC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 pm

deck wrote:

see my point

It really depends on what situation you put yourself in when you got mugged. If you chose to stroll through a dark alley in a bad part of town at midnight, to save yourself 30 seconds, then, yeah.....you have to take a good look in the mirror on that one....

It's all about having good common sense & not putting yourself at risk needlessly.....

Having said that....there are some pretty good scammers out there.....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.

Return to Toronto Raptors