ImageImageImageImageImage

Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Would you welcome Gilbert Arenas to the Raptors?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 92

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Re: Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!) 

Post#101 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:05 am

kush- wrote:
Southward1 wrote:I do the trade if Hedo and Calderon go and the team doesn't trade a first or Demar.

nah.. washington would only make a trade for salary relief. if they take both turkoglu and jose, they really wouldn't be saving all that much money, a lateral move

Thank you, Kush, that says it.

Once factoring in the trade kickers, the Hedo AND Calderon deal actually costs Washington $2.6 million in salary commitments. The Turkey-Man alone has a 15% trade kicker and would coin in at $50 million over four years. Is $30 million in savings enough to make up for the discrepancy in talent? Gil is still more marketable in DC than the national media would admit. Despite everything, I think they sell more tickets with Gil than without him.

Gil is overpaid, but the discrepancy there is not huge, especially when you consider that after just a straight Arenas-Turkeyman swap, we'd need to spend $15 million just to get up to the league's minimum payroll. Wizards management has already stated a few times that they're not trying to sign significant free agents this summer.

All told? 90% chance that Gil just comes back and plays for the Zards next year. No one from the DC area would tell you that "all bridges have been burned" and it should be noted that Gil still has a relationship with the team, the players, the coaches and etc.

Don't get me wrong, they would definitely move Gil, but it would require an actual advantageous situation being presented.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#102 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:29 am

Rhettmatic wrote: But I would seriously consider dealing Turk & Calderon for Arenas & Washington's lottery pick this year if we liked what was available in the draft. We owe those two only about $6.5 million less combined than we would Arenas.

Two words: Trade Kicker. Or 'Kickers', actually.

You've got the Wizards spending extra money in order to give away their lottery pick. And believe it or not, Gil still has loads of supporters in DC, so a dud at the gate too.

Even without the Kickers, why deal an early lottery pick to save $6 million when we can very comfortably play Gil next year?

Here's Flip Saunders before last night game:

Back in his former stomping grounds, Saunders was asked about how difficult this season has been and provided an interesting answer. "I've had a lot of fun the last two weeks," he said. "With our young players, to see how Andray [Blatche], how JaVale are improving and they've improved by leaps in bounds. That's something we can hang our hat on, knowing that we're going to have Gilbert. We're going to have draft picks and we're going to have a lot of cash. We're going to have the ability to change this team drastically. What we're tyring to do now is see what we have now. The decisions we have to make this offseason are as big a decisions that we've made in a long time."

Believe me, organizationally, the public relations framework is being put in place for Gil to be back next year. From the incoming owner to the front office, the olive branch has been extended.

The Wizards might do something, but they are under no pressure to do so.
raptorsam
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#103 » by raptorsam » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:13 am

If they would take on Hedo I do it
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#104 » by UnRealGM » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:08 pm

one of my fave players in agent zero, bring him here!
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#105 » by Rhettmatic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote: But I would seriously consider dealing Turk & Calderon for Arenas & Washington's lottery pick this year if we liked what was available in the draft. We owe those two only about $6.5 million less combined than we would Arenas.

Two words: Trade Kicker. Or 'Kickers', actually.

You've got the Wizards spending extra money in order to give away their lottery pick. And believe it or not, Gil still has loads of supporters in DC, so a dud at the gate too.

Even without the Kickers, why deal an early lottery pick to save $6 million when we can very comfortably play Gil next year?

Here's Flip Saunders before last night game:

Back in his former stomping grounds, Saunders was asked about how difficult this season has been and provided an interesting answer. "I've had a lot of fun the last two weeks," he said. "With our young players, to see how Andray [Blatche], how JaVale are improving and they've improved by leaps in bounds. That's something we can hang our hat on, knowing that we're going to have Gilbert. We're going to have draft picks and we're going to have a lot of cash. We're going to have the ability to change this team drastically. What we're tyring to do now is see what we have now. The decisions we have to make this offseason are as big a decisions that we've made in a long time."

Believe me, organizationally, the public relations framework is being put in place for Gil to be back next year. From the incoming owner to the front office, the olive branch has been extended.

The Wizards might do something, but they are under no pressure to do so.

Good point. I had completely forgotten about the trade kickers. It's unbelievable how ugly that Turkoglu contract is.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#106 » by Southward1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:33 pm

It could probably be done this summer with a package like

Jose
Evans
Banks
Marco

for

Arenas
1st pick

I could see them really wanting Jose as they don't really have a pg on there roster and the other 3 are just 10 million dollars of expiring contracts. Would I do it? Probably not unless I can't find anywhere else to send Jose.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#107 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:no i wouldnt do that. Id call detroit though and offer banks + evans for Hamilton. Or go to GSW with that same offer for Biedrins.

I would f'n love Rip on this team. Don't see it happening though. We do have a rookie starting SG for the rest of eternity.
sig by TZ

Return to Toronto Raptors