Lauri Markkanen wins 2022-2023 Most Improved Player award.

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,767

Re: Lauri Markkanen wins 2022-2023 Most Improved Player award. 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 11, 2023 3:36 am

jazzed77 wrote:Congratulations to Laurie! Also the jazz are winning the lottery, calling it now. I am not sure I'd trade the pick but I would consider Luka a generational talent.

I could see Danny trading down while acquiring a lot assets like he did with Tatum. I’d prefer Miller, and attaining future picks to trade for Doncic.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#42 » by zero24gravity » Thu May 11, 2023 2:29 pm

I don't think it's too homer-ish to say that Lauri was snubbed from the All NBA 3rd team. I would have put him over either of the forwards on that team (Randle or James). Like him or hate him, I understand that James gets in on legacy, but IMO Lauri > Randle.

He was the top "others receiving votes" forward, which is still pretty awesome for a player whom was not even considered by most to the be the best player the Jazz received in the DM trade.

Great season, and congrats again to him for his MIP award.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,522

Post#43 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 11, 2023 2:55 pm

Both James and Randle led their teams to the playoffs so I'm guessing it was part of the reasoning for why they were selected. In that respect, Markkanen's chances to make All-NBA were probably hurt by the Jazz's switch to tank mode later in the season, which cost them a playoff berth. If the Jazz had made the playoffs, I think he would have probably made an All-NBA team.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
tacosman
Junior
And1: 272

Post#44 » by tacosman » Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
jazzed77 wrote:Congratulations to Laurie! Also the jazz are winning the lottery, calling it now. I am not sure I'd trade the pick but I would consider Luka a generational talent.

I could see Danny trading down while acquiring a lot assets like he did with Tatum. I’d prefer Miller, and attaining future picks to trade for Doncic.

even if Doncic becomes disgruntled and asks out, 'future picks'(unless one is a very high pick linked to a specific cant miss player) isn't going to
do it for someone that age. There is going to be so much interest for Doncic that the winning package is going to be future picks + a really well thought of young player difference maker. Utah can obviously meet the former requirement but I don't see where they get the latter.(especially if they traded lauri for picks....not that Lauri would neccessarily be that player anyways dallas covets)

We aren't talking about a Rudy or even KD package that brings in doncic. Would be more along the lines of an SGA + picks package(not saying that would happen for either team.....just an example about the type of player + picks).
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#45 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2023 8:18 pm

tacosman wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

even if Doncic becomes disgruntled and asks out, 'future picks'(unless one is a very high pick linked to a specific cant miss player) isn't going to
do it for someone that age. There is going to be so much interest for Doncic that the winning package is going to be future picks + a really well thought of young player difference maker. Utah can obviously meet the former requirement but I don't see where they get the latter.(especially if they traded lauri for picks....not that Lauri would neccessarily be that player anyways dallas covets)

We aren't talking about a Rudy or even KD package that brings in doncic. Would be more along the lines of an SGA + picks package(not saying that would happen for either team.....just an example about the type of player + picks).

Superstar trades rarely includes the teams best 2 players.
Ingles is cooked.
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 570

Post#46 » by ACMFFL » Wed May 24, 2023 8:41 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
tacosman wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Dallas fan coming in peace here.
I get your point but he's right, Cuban would likely ask for quality pieces, not just quantity.
Ofc Utah would trade for Luka to pair him with Lauri, I see the logic behind it, but then what are you giving up to get him if Lauri is untouchable?
Kessler would likely be off the table considering how much Utah fans love him and honestly a package around future firsts + #9 and #16 aint gonna cut it, even if Ainge offers a ton of them.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#47 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2023 8:47 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
tacosman wrote:

I get your point but he's right, Cuban would likely ask for quality pieces, not just quantity.
Ofc Utah would trade for Luka to pair him with Lauri, I see the logic behind it, but then what are you giving up to get him if Lauri is untouchable?
Kessler would likely be off the table considering how much Utah fans love him and honestly a package around future firsts + #9 and #16 aint gonna cut it, even if Ainge offers a ton of them.

Well, I don’t see a trade happening this summer but at the deadline. The Utah Jazz will either move up in the draft to get a more high ceiling player or will use their world class player development to create a high value rookie.

Cuban would likely ask for high level players but then that team would likely not receive a promise from Luka to extend, which will likely have them pull away from the deal and offer a heavier pick package. At the end of the day, I will bet the trade is pick heavy with a young player or two over a teams best player.
Ingles is cooked.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#48 » by ACMFFL » Wed May 24, 2023 8:52 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Well, I don’t see a trade happening this summer but at the deadline. The Utah Jazz will either move up in the draft to get a more high ceiling player or will use their world class player development to create a high value rookie.

Cuban would likely ask for high level players but then that team would likely not receive a promise from Luka to extend, which will likely have them pull away from the deal and offer a heavier pick package. At the end of the day, I will bet the trade is pick heavy with a young player or two over a teams best player.

I cant see Cuban trading Luka in the middle of the season. Also if he get traded and he cant sign anymore the designated supermax, ihmo he wont ask out unless Dallas is still a mess.
Ihmo OKC would easily beat any offer in that scenario, it's very unlikely Cuban would accept to give up on his golden boy for just a mystery box full of future mid/late firsts.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#49 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 24, 2023 8:58 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:

I cant see Cuban trading Luka in the middle of the season. Also if he get traded and he cant sign anymore the designated supermax, ihmo he wont ask out unless Dallas is still a mess.
Ihmo OKC would easily beat any offer in that scenario, it's very unlikely Cuban would accept to give up on his golden boy for a mystery box full of future mid/late firsts.

Exactly why I said high valued rookie… Ochai, Sexton, 2023 rookie(s), and picks is a good offer. OKC offers same thing except Chet (who already has injury issues), Dort, and Giddey, who will only have 2 years left on his deal before he has to get paid. Dort is a 6’3” SF.
Ingles is cooked.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#50 » by ACMFFL » Thu May 25, 2023 7:54 am

AingesBurner wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Ihmo OKC would easily beat any offer in that scenario, it's very unlikely Cuban would accept to give up on his golden boy for a mystery box full of future mid/late firsts.

Exactly why I said high valued rookie… Ochai, Sexton, 2023 rookie(s), and picks is a good offer. OKC offers same thing except Chet (who already has injury issues), Dort, and Giddey, who will only have 2 years left on his deal before he has to get paid. Dort is a 6’3” SF.

OKC could offer blue chip prospects like Chet, Giddey and Jalen Williams, whoever they draft at #12, and valuable draft capitals from HOU and LAC..I dont think Utah has the ammo to beat this offer: Sexton is not that good; as nice as Ochai is, he cant be the centerpiece of the deal for a top5 player in his prime; and picks from Minny and Cavs arent as valuable as the HOU/LAC firsts.

Ihmo Luka would likely command even more value than AD when this one went to LA, cause Doncic is younger and has a longer contract than AD at the time.

However knowing how Cuban is in love with star power, if ever Luka asks to be traded, I guess he'd look for a swap with another disgruntled superstar in the East like Embiid or one of the Jay's from Boston.
Not saying is the direction I'd like to take but that's what I expect from Cuban in that eventuality.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,522

Post#51 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 25, 2023 8:09 am

ACMFFL wrote:

You're probably right about Cuban asking for good players along with picks if he were to trade Doncic but if he's trading Doncic, why wouldn't he want to tear everything down, reset the team's payroll and build from the ground up with a plethora of picks? What good will it do for him to get a player like Markkanen if he's tearing everything down or if he's trading Luka?

I think what would make the most sense for the Mavs if Doncic wants out is to start from the ground up and build mostly through the draft, but this time be more disciplined when it comes to managing the payroll and not depleting the team of assets. For that, you'd probably want to part ways with Dennis Lindsey because he's very good at depleting his team of assets. Trust us, we'd know.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ACMFFL
Senior

Post#52 » by ACMFFL » Thu May 25, 2023 6:54 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:

You're probably right about Cuban asking for good players along with picks if he were to trade Doncic but if he's trading Doncic, why wouldn't he want to tear everything down, reset the team's payroll and built from the ground up with a plethora of picks? What good will it do for him to get a player like Markkanen if he's tearing everything down or if he's trading Luka?

I think what would make the most sense for the Mavs if Doncic wants out is to start from the ground up and build mostly through the draft, but this time be more disciplined when it comes to managing the payroll and not depleting the team of assets. For that, you'd probably want to part ways with Dennis Lindsey because he's very good of depleting his team of assets. Trust us, we'd know.

Honestly I wouldnt trade Luka for only picks, multiple exciting young players have to come to Dallas..I mean I dont know if Dallas will ever draft another generational talent like him, in the end the NBA draft is still a crap shot.
Dont get me wrong, your arguments make definitely sense but Cuban doesnt strike me as a fan of building through the draft.
Ihmo a plethora of picks doesnt entice him, and me neither tbh, especially these from teams with young core like Minny and the Cavs.

You're right about Lauri, in fact in that scenario Dallas flips him to a third team for young prospects and/or picks. I get Utah perspective though, it's pointless to gut the roster to get Luka if afterwards you're left with him and nothing else.
That's another reason why I think it's complex to find a fair deal for Luka for all parties involved.

Yeah, we had feedback about Lindsey from Utah fans on our board some weeks ago..well, then the smartest guy in the room has found another playmate with whom he can keep playing his favourite game, i.e., wasting our assets :party:

Return to Utah Jazz