Re: Early Recommendations for the Jazz Starting Lineup 

Post#22 » by BigJimFinn » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:18 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:Its almost certain we're starting

Sexton
JC
Markk
Collins
Kess

So, who in this lineup is guarding the top perimeter scorer?
Walker and Collins could get huge block numbers, but otherwise this
team might have 125 offensive rating and 130 defensive. It even feels
like this 5 would do better in a zone D, which is not gonna happen.
One plus perimeter defender must be starting, and right now Agbaji seems
like the easiest fit, either with JC or preferably with Sexton. There is a lot
of redundancy on the current squad, while obvious holes remain at PG and
wing defense, so I keep hoping for balancing trades.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,641

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:50 pm

Sexton isn't a bad defender but he is on the small side. Assuming he and Clarkson start, we may see Hardy go for early substitutions for defensive purposes when needed, with THT, Agbaji and Dunn seeing minutes early if we're getting cooked defensively on the perimeter.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jazzy13
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#24 » by Jazzy13 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:32 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:

Sexton
JC
Markk
Collins
Kess

So, who in this lineup is guarding the top perimeter scorer?
Walker and Collins could get huge block numbers, but otherwise this
team might have 125 offensive rating and 130 defensive. It even feels
like this 5 would do better in a zone D, which is not gonna happen.
One plus perimeter defender must be starting, and right now Agbaji seems
like the easiest fit, either with JC or preferably with Sexton. There is a lot
of redundancy on the current squad, while obvious holes remain at PG and
wing defense, so I keep hoping for balancing trades.

I actually think starting Kris Dunn would give us the best shot at winning. Sexton to be our 6th man.
But with the current salaries Sexton will most likely get the first shot at it. Hopefully to raise his value and be traded.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 382

Post#25 » by BigJimFinn » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:59 am

Tony Jones at the Athletic takes a proper look at the Jazz PG question:
https://theathletic.com/4760379/2023/08/09/utah-jazz-starters-point-guard-lineup/
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,755

Post#26 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:37 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:Tony Jones at the Athletic takes a proper look at the Jazz PG question:
https://theathletic.com/4760379/2023/08/09/utah-jazz-starters-point-guard-lineup/

Good read. Thanks. Tony gives pluses and minuses for the five contenders for starting PG. He gave Kris Dunn, who I have been pushing for starter, a fair chance.

Snips: Dunn’s defining trait is being by far the best defensive option of the pack, combined with his offense showing signs of becoming good enough at the NBA level to no longer a liability on that side of the floor.

Dunn was terrific for the Jazz down the stretch of last season, sticking after making it through a pair of 10-day contracts. He would have to prove he can duplicate those efforts against good teams when their starters aren’t coasting, which was the case for a lot of his games in March and April. But his ability to defend, his growing threat level offensively and his willingness to defer to Markkanen, Collins and Clarkson may make Dunn the most natural fit to start at point guard on opening night.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#27 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:51 am

None of us have Olynyk starting. Would a starting lineup of Kessler, Olynyk, Markannen, Ochai and Sexton make any sense?

If the Jazz start Sexton and Ochai rather than Dunn and Clarkson, then maybe it would be a good idea to start Olynyk versus Collins to get another veteran playmaker in the starting five. Olynyk passed and shot the ball well last season, and he is still passing and shooting the ball well in World Cup competition. Even if he isn't in the Jazz' long term plans, it wouldn't hurt to showcase him up to the trade deadline.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:None of us have Olynyk starting. Would a starting lineup of Kessler, Olynyk, Markannen, Ochai and Sexton make any sense?

If the Jazz start Sexton and Ochai rather than Dunn and Clarkson, then maybe it would be a good idea to start Olynyk versus Collins to get another veteran playmaker in the starting five. Olynyk passed and shot the ball well last season, and he is still passing and shooting the ball very well in World Cup competition. Even if he isn't in the Jazz' long term plans, it wouldn't hurt to showcase him up to the trade deadline.

I think it would make sense. Because of the Collins trade it is most likely that Olynyk will come off the bench but I don't think he's a great fit next to Kessler and Markkanen (Collins), and the Jazz in general lack facilitators and playmakers, which Olynyk brings. He's possibly the best passer on the roster currently.

Frankly, the lineup you proposed seems the most balanced lineup I can think of with our current roster.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,050

Post#29 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Sep 5, 2023 8:30 pm

Are the contracts and egos of Clarkson and Collins going to even allow Coach Hardy to consider not starting them? Are we proposing that Ochai and KO start just to offset the playmaking and defensive limitations of Sexton?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#30 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:33 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Are the contracts and egos of Clarkson and Collins going to even allow Coach Hardy to consider not starting them? Are we proposing that Ochai and KO start just to offset the playmaking and defensive limitations of Sexton?

It's more about starting Olynyk because of the lack of playmaking Collins will bring. Starting Ochai for size and defensive purposes in our back court, and starting Sexton because his game complements Ochai's well. He's good at getting in the paint and then he can kick out to Ochai who is likely to make a living in the league as a 3D guy. Also, while small, I think Sexton is pretty decent defensively.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,050

Post#31 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:19 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Are the contracts and egos of Clarkson and Collins going to even allow Coach Hardy to consider not starting them? Are we proposing that Ochai and KO start just to offset the playmaking and defensive limitations of Sexton?

It's more about starting Olynyk because of the lack of playmaking Collins will bring. Starting Ochai for size and defensive purposes in our back court, and starting Sexton because his game complements Ochai's well. He's good at getting in the paint and then he can kick out to Ochai who is likely to make a living in the league as a 3D guy. Also, while small, I think Sexton is pretty decent defensively.

Dunn, and to a lesser extent Clarkson, provide the playmaking in a starting lineup of Clarkson and Collins.

Personally, I think Sexton is traded by the trade deadline. KO has been a nice player for the Jazz, but he is in the twilight of his career and probably doesn't have a future with the team, and could possibly be traded too.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Sep 8, 2023 10:58 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Dunn, and to a lesser extent Clarkson, provide the playmaking in a starting lineup of Clarkson and Collins.

Personally, I think Sexton is traded by the trade deadline. KO has been a nice player for the Jazz, but he is in the twilight of his career and probably doesn't have a future with the team, and could possibly be traded too.

I'll be surprised if Dunn will ever start over Sexton or pretty much anyone, regardless of how good he is. Even if Sexton is traded, then my bet would be that Keyonte George, THT or Clarkson will man the position as starters.

As for Olynyk, I agree he doesn't have a future with the Jazz but if the Jazz are looking to compete then it's going to be hard doing so without any secondary playmaker in the front court because then all the opposing team needs to do is pressure our back court. That's why I think we need at least one playmaker in the front court or wing position.

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#33 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:02 pm

Sexton
JC
Markk
Collins
Kess

Given the fact that the paid are nearly always played, there is a strong chance you are correct. There is $82 million dollars going to the first four players. If we were ignoring contracts, however, I think Dunn or Ochai would strongly be considered for defensive balance. If those five above are the starters, maybe we will see a quite a few games where Dunn or Ochai are first off the bench.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 359

Post#34 » by vryadli » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:00 pm

There is too much not enough of ""prima BBIQ" court generalship, so I'm afraid it will not work great.

I hope you see what I mean: high BBIQ players here are used rather to take hints than to give lead and guys who don't wait for any hints did demonstrate a lot more of energy and athleticism then of BBIQ.

I even would say that such disharmony always was one of the most interesting recipe for disaster.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 952

Post#35 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:26 pm

C Kessler
PF Mark
SF Samanic
SG Clarkson
PG Dunn

Key Reserves- Collins C, George PG, THT G/F, Agbaji 3D, Olynyk Offensive Big
Sexton... trade him
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 15,397

Post#36 » by babyjax13 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:14 pm

It sounds like Sexton thinks he is starting, and I assume we stick with Clarkson - though I'd like to see him move to being a 6th man again. So, here is the lineup I think we get:

Kessler
Collins
Lauri
Clarkson
Sexton

Here is the lineup/rotation I'd like to see if Sexton is starting b/c I think it balances size in the starting lineup a bit better & because there are less players looking to primarily score.

Kessler 28/Olynyk 16/Collins 4 [Yurtseven]
Collins 22/Hendricks 16/Lauri 10 [Semanic]
Lauri 24/Agbaji 24 [Fontecchio]
THT 20/Clarkson 28 [Sensabaugh]
Sexton 28/George 20 [Dunn]

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz