How are they doing? (rate jazz players at mid-season)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,098

How are they doing? (rate jazz players at mid-season) 

Post#1 » by FJS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Malone Strong
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Malone Strong » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Starters only:

Boozer: B+ Offense is flawless. Shoots a high percentage. But his defense keeps us from controlling the other team's glass...

Okur: C Offense has come on strong as of late, but before this recent home stand, Memo was looking awful. His D still needs a lot of work.

Brewer: A- Im not gunna hate on Brewer like alot of people here. I think he's our best perimeter defender by far, and he shoots a high percentage because he knows his limitations. Is great at getting to the rim and drawing fouls. Besides, nobody expected he'd be this good.

Williams: B+ Offense, especially in clutch situations, is still dominant. Defense is quite brilliant also, even if the lack of team success on that end overshadows it. Ive seen Williams stand up to many of the premier scorers in the league and hold his own. Too many turnovers though, and I'd like to see a higher percentage at the FT line.

AK-47: B What can you say, its been a solid season all around for Kirilenko. He plays a complete team game and his long shot has found its mark this season. Has cut down his turnovers and seems to be having fun. I think Andrei is very underrated this season...

Coaching: D I think we've been a first half team all season long on the road because Sloan doesnt realize that role players in this league dont play well on the road. His substitution patterns put us in a big hole on the road when he plays Hart, Harpring, and Collins so many minutes. Even Millsap gets too many minutes on the road. These holes are too big for Deron and Boozer to bail us out of.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 992

Post#3 » by red4hf » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Starters:

Carlos Boozer: A-, pretty much unstoppable on offense, but he really needs to try harder on defense...... Sloan needs to stop sitting him for 8 minutes of the second quarter when he scores 10+ in the first, that's just getting ridiculous.......

Andrei Kirilenko: B+, nice to have the old AK back......

Mehmet Okur: C+, has been playing a lot better lately should get back to last year's All-Star form just in time for the playoff push........

Deron Williams: A-, almost the exact same position as Boozer, great on offense and really needs to play better on defense.......

Ronny Brewer: B, is having a very nice second season.......

The Bench:

Matt Harpring: C-, OK enough on offense, although he provides nothing more than scoring, horrible on defense, and turns the ball over way too much for someone who does nothing but shoot.

Kyle Korver: B-, nice addition, plays better defense than advertised, if only he would take more of Harpring's minutes.......

Paul MIllsap: B-, Just a very solid player........

Jason Hart: D+, I have been really dissapointed with him, although he has been playing better lately.......

CJ Miles: C+, seems finally to have learned how to play in the NBA, although still too inconsistent, plays well one game and dissapears the next...... Still much better than he was last year......

Jarron Collins, F+, almost completely useless on the court........

Ronny Price: D, hasn't done anything to impress......

Kyrylo FesenkoL: Incomplete
Morris Almond: Incomplete

Jerry Sloan: F, It's amazing that he still hasn't learned how to make an adjustment during a game...... Mindboggling actually........
GP
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by GP » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Okur (D)- he is known as a shooter, thats it (awful defensively). So if he isn't making shots......

Boozer (-A) He is a rock, the most consistent guy on the team. Offensively is almost unstoppable.

AK (B+) Back to his old self with some improved shooting, he is the only player who can play competent defense on the team.

Brewer (B-) Better offensively than most would expect, worse defensively than most would expect.

Deron (B-) Expectations were high as williams had a great 2nd year most expected him to take another step this year, so far I think he has regressed. Also is not a good defender.

Coaching (F) Lets see, where to begin. defensive schemes are laughable, when teams go to zone against the jazz, the player look like they have never seen it before. They play Harpring (who gets an "F" for actually getting slower this year) despite the fact that he couldn't guard a elementary school player. Refusal to acknowledge the existance of the 3pt line. Emphasizing to players that fouling is better than playing defense. Need proof the jazz coaching staff is awful? Look at the teams ahead of the Jazz, do you honestly believe that the hornets, Blazer and golden state have more talent than the jazz? So where is their advantage? Coaching.
Neon Black
Starter
And1: 19

Post#5 » by Neon Black » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Carlos Boozer: B

Obviously he can score and rebound. On the other hand, he's shown and said that he CAN play defense...so why doesn't he? Until he does he'll never be a Malone, Garnett or Duncan. Hasn't "taken over games" in the same sense that he did last season and in the playoffs.

Andrei Kirilenko: B, based on potential.

Compared to last season, A+++

Mehmet Okur: C-

The only reason I don't give this guy a D is because he's had the injury excuse. But his D is terrible and his offence is inconsistent.

Deron Williams: B+

He's had some great games and clearly steps up/down when needed. But at the same time, he's made some huge, huge tunrovers in many 4th quarters...

Ronny Brewer: A

He's exceeded expectations and filled in a huge void on our roster. His shooting is better, he's stronger, and he's usually pretty confident. He's made mistakes but no more than any second year player should.

The Bench:

Matt Harpring: C+

You really can't expect too much from him at this point. He makes shots (when he catches the ball) and fooltball jokes aside, he does bring much needed toughness to a soft team.

Kyle Korver: B

<Giricek.

Paul MIllsap: C+

He was a beast last season; he rebounded better and was tougher in the paint. However he still goes out there and hustles, and has had some good games.

Jason Hart: C-

What did the Jazz expect? He's no permanent back up PG, but i'll have some mercy considering his better play as of late.

CJ Miles: B-

I really didn't expect him to do as well as he has, too bad he's not getting any more minutes to allow him to do more.

Jarron Collins C-

It's not like he's dissapointing anyone. He at least gets out there and does what he's told and, sadly, plays much better D than Boozer or Okur.

Ronny Price: C+

Has had a couple of good showings and some mediocre ones, it's not like he's ever had much of a chance in the first place.

Kyrylo Fesenko: B+

Has done well with the time he's been given, and considering he's a late 2nd rounder.

Morris Almond: B

Doing his thing in the D-League I guess.

Jerry Sloan: C

His methods have their pluses and minuses. If players play his game, they win, wether they're a team full of superstars or not. At the same time, He's a little too inlflexible and can't motivate...bad for morale.
troy
Junior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by troy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Deron (B) : Very good offensively , better scoring wise than in the last regular season . Defensively he is underrated and struggles only because of the lack of help defense. Overall he is playing really well. Still i hoped much more from him after his great series against the Spurs last year. I hoped he could contend for the title of best point guard in the league as soon as this year. Unfortunately he makes too much turnovers , and at the beginning of the year he didn't control the tempo like he used to last year.

Brewer (B) : Surprisingly efficient offensively. He looks very promising at this end of the floor for a second year shooting-less guard. He is starting to get an interesting midrange jumper .
Unfortunately i was expecting him to be impressive because of his defense. While his offense is promising defensively he is not where a physical specimen like him should be. He lacks heart at this end of the floor and comments like "anyway i can't stop my opponents i just try to make them work the most" annoy me a lot. That's not the mentality of a lockdown defender. I'm really disappointed by his behavior defensively.

Kirilenko (B) : With all the drama during the summer i didn't know what to expect from him. After the beginning of the season i thought he would never be a good fit for our current team because he was still awful shooting wise. But lately he is knocking more and more jumpshots so his offense definitely deserves him a spot on the team (even if he is overpaid ) . Still , defensively he is not what he once was. He doesn't seem to have the same leaping ability as two-three years ago where he would get blocks coming out of nowhere. He is probably our best defender but the DPOY candidate has disappeared for ever in my opinion.

Boozer (A-) : Amazing offensively , he is still pathetic on defense. He has made a lot of progress offensively since last year , his jumpshot is really lethal now. He still makes too much turnovers , but despite that he is without a doubt the best offensive big man in the league right now.
Defensively the guy is a ghost unfortunately. He says he wants it to change, but so far he still hasn't made the slightest adjustment.

Okur (D) : Frankly i can't stand him anymore. I think he is really the odd man out. Yes he is out of shape , yes a shooter can have some slump from time to time. But the real problem is his demeanor. The guy is the softest player in the league right now. He displays no heart at all. Total looser. He showed some glimpse of good defense last year in the playoffs but that has completely disappeared this season. His offense is vastly overrated. Everybody thinks he opens the floor to Boozer but that is total bull. Boozer has some better stats playing alongside Millsap.
Okur is still a good player , a Nowitzki light , but he is an awful match for this team because Boozer is already bad enough defensively .
The day Okur is traded for a defensive big , i will throw a party.

Hart (C) : Very good defensively the guy has some real issues when it comes to offense. His decision making is stupid , even if he has a great assist/to ratio. His scoring is even worst , he doesn't have nba ability at all when it comes to scoring. We can win a championship with Hart as a backup but he is clearly not an asset for us.

Korver (B) : I like his attitude defensively. He lacks some athletic ability but he shows some heart unlike Brewer. Offensively he is far from his best shooting wise nevertheless he is still very useful to us. Great addition to the team.

Harpring (A) : I thought he was done with another surgery and a very bad season star. But lately he has been playing very well and his impact in the thoughness area is undeniable. The day he leaves , we will officialy become one of the softest team in the league.

Millsap (C+) : He is very good , apart from Harpring , he is the only player which brings some thoughness to this team. Nevertheless i expected more than him , first of all i thought he would be able to avoid foul trouble this season . He hasn't . Even when Okur was injured he didn't succeed to stay on the floor long enough. I hoped this year he would take minutes from Okur with his defensive ability but it hasn't been the case. Fortunately , the guy is still very young and maybe he will avoid this foul trouble issue in the next seasons.

Collins (B) : The guy is clearly our best defensive center. Everytimes he comes on the floor it's a huge change from Memeth Okur. Still he sucks rebounding wise and offensively. If only he could teach Boozer to take a charge once in his life... The day Boozer takes a charge defensively i think i will cry from joy... Collins doesn't have anymore blocking ability than Okur or Boozer but at least he moves his feet . Probably the guy that understands the most the team defense concept on this roster.

CJ Miles (A) : I'm very surprised by Miles this season. I was actually pissed when he was resigned last summer because i saw absolutely nothing in his game. But this year , has a 20years old guard he has shown a lot of promising things. His 3pt percentage is very impressive for such a young player. Defensively he is mediocre but he shows some signs of intensity (unlike Brewer) and i think he can become a more than decent defensive player with more experience (he has very long arms for a guard). At his age he is a prospect we can't underestimate.

Ronnie Price (D) : If you can't take minutes from Jason Hart , you must be very , VERY bad. I didn't think he would be this useless in his first season for the Jazz. The guy is still a prospect but his lack of offense is really frightening. Still , like Dee Brown , i have to like his attitude : the guy is a team first player and plays very hard on the floor , you gotta love that.

Kyrilo Fesenko (?) : Can't wait to see him in the Jazz rotation. Could be the answer to our biggest problem : interior defense.

Morris Almond (?) : With Korver's addition and the progress of Miles this year , he is really useless now.

Jerry Sloan (C) : I'm a fan of Sloan. Great coach , and he is the best we can get and we may ever get on our coaching bench.
Still i have to admit he does a terrible job defensively. Our guys looks lost on every defensive rotations. Our team is the softest in the league on defense , letting opponents gets a lot of and1's inside.
His personel (Boozer,Okur) is not good , ok , still he is not bad to the point where we have one of the worst defense in the league (especially when there are supposedly good defenders , Deron and AK) .
In Cleveland , Mike Brown had one of the best defense last year with Z and Drew Gooden for instance.
The proof that Sloan isn't doing a great job is that we are awesome at home but can't play to our potential on the road. It's a player's game i know , but with his experience he should be able to exploit his team's potential on the road .
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#7 » by carrottop12 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Deron Williams: A-: Has been very solid, made some costly turn overs at the end of games but for a 3rd year PG, with 19 double doubles on the season he is amazing, his jump shot is so solid it's strange the Jazz don't use it as a tool more often. Unselfish to a fault at times.

Ronnie Brewer: B: Has been solid, shoots a great percentage, but some games he disappears, hasn't taken over games with the ball in his hand like he should, relies heavily on others to make him score, mostly on dunks, and wide open jumpshots. Defense hasn't been where I hoped it would be but he has still had some very solid outings.

Andrei Kirilenko: B: His offense has been a real surprise this year, however his defensive numbers are down at a time when the Jazz need it the most.

Carlos Boozer: B+: Might be the most efficient offensive player in the league, but his lack of rotation on defense has cost the Jazz a lot in many games, he can't play that poorly and expect the Jazz to win many games especially come playoff time.

Mehmet Okur: C-: He's been a dissapointment up through December, had had a few nice games since then but still a real let down after last year's all-star season. His effort on the boards has been awful which really hurts.

Jason Hart: D: This guy shouldn't be in the league, his jumper is a joke, his basketball knowledge is below average, doesn't seem to be much of a passer. His defense is solid, but everything else sucks.

Paul Millsap: B-: In a bit of a sophmore slump, hasn't dominated like it looked like he would after last season, still a fantastic player and a real help, his rebounding also hasn't quite been where I hoped it would be.

Matt Harpring: B-: He's in over his head, he is over the hill and way past his prime. Time for him to call it quits and let some other guys fill in for him. His toughness does help the Jazz at times though, occaisonally he can be a great spark off the bench.

CJ Miles: b: Has showed that he belongs in the league, lost his spot unfortunately, I think his versatility could really help the Jazz if Harpring goes down for a long period of time.

Kyle Korver: Incomplete: Has shown good signs, his first half against Denver was very promising, and his free-throws have really been a nice boost for the Jazz, however it's hard to tell if he actually fits on this team right now, may be better suited starting with Ronnie Brewer coming off the bench for more of a scoring punch.

Jarron Collins: C: He is what he is, a scrapy back up center who provides no real skill to a basketball team, however he knows the offense as well as anyone on the team and does keep the team executing, gets some solid charging calls against other teams big men.

No one else has been all that important so that will do for now.
karizma87
Rookie

Post#8 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 am

what's with the Okur hating??? the guy's been battling injuries, and yes he's been playing worse than his all-star self last year, but he is still vital for this jazz team, even just having him on the floor...I MEAN, THE JAZZ WENT 2-5 WITH HIM OUT OF THE LINEUP, take a freakin chill pill.

I give everyone B's, because no1 is playing to their max potential right now...
Tabasco
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#9 » by Tabasco » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:39 am

karizma87 wrote:what's with the Okur hating???

Maybe it's the fact that he sucks donkey balls.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 992

Post#10 » by red4hf » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 am

People who are saying that Okur is terrible defensively obviously haven't watched any of the Jazz's last 15 games or so.......

We get much better defense in the paint when Okur plays....... He's not a Candidate to win the Defensove player of the Year award anytime soon, but he plays defense a hell of a lot better than Collins or Boozer........
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#11 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:44 am

red4hf wrote:People who are saying that Okur is terrible defensively obviously haven't watched any of the Jazz's last 15 games or so.......

We get much better defense in the paint when Okur plays....... He's not a Candidate to win the Defensove player of the Year award anytime soon, but he plays defense a hell of a lot better than Collins or Boozer........

You know, I usually don't agree with your posts (as most of them are extremist on Sloan-hating, etc.:roll: ) but I agree 150% on this.

You can see Memo, when healthy is pretty good defensively. Sure, he's NOT a shot blocker, and never will be (6'11, short arms, not much lift), one can see he actually gives a **** on D. He's a... I would actually say GOOD man defender and plays ok help D when he can get there. And he is hung up to dry by Boozer constantly. On the game vs. Denver, Okur was the only man back and trying on most of the time, when it was Boozer's man that was ahead, and Booz was **** walking down the court.

I just don't know with Boozer... he usually says the right things when interviewed, but he hasn't showed it on the court, at least NOT in these last games. I think he has better defensive potential than Okur (long arms, much better lift, stronger build) but it's just like he doesn't give a rat's ass about actually avoiding being scored on. Hell, I was impressed he contested Bogut's dunk attempt. That's the most I've seen on D from Booze all season.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
OC Jazzfan
Senior
And1: 2

Post#12 » by OC Jazzfan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:29 am

Deron Williams: B+
Great offensively, turns the ball over too much. Would like to see more leadership.

Carlos Boozer: B
Awesome offensively (A), average defensively (C). Get's a "C" on defense because of his defensive rebounding. Other than that he's a turd on the defensive end.

Memo Okur: C
Used to be money on offense, now he's umm, not. Not great defensively, but only because the options are even worse. Without big offense, we'd be better off with a paint guarding monster.

Ronnie Brewer: B-
Pleasant surprise.

AK47: B-
Not quite back to his old self, but a helluva lot better than the boob we had last year.

Milsap: B-
Great at times, invisible at other times.

Hapring: C-
Has been decent on offense, continues to suck at defense. Has the vertical leap of an old lady in a wheelchair. But hey, he played football you know.

Korver: C
Shooting not that impressive so far, but I'm guessing it will improve.

Miles: C
Potential is there, how much further along would he be if he hadn't foolishly skipped the RMR?

Hart: F
Like dog poo on your shoe. Stinky and gross.

Collins: F-
Gaaahhhh!

Fesenko: incomplete
Price: incomplete
Almond: incomplete
karizma87
Rookie

Post#13 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:44 am

Tabasco wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe it's the fact that he sucks donkey balls.

well even when he's doin that the jazz are better, so what's that tell ya cupcake?
karizma87
Rookie

Post#14 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:46 am

red4hf wrote:People who are saying that Okur is terrible defensively obviously haven't watched any of the Jazz's last 15 games or so.......

absolute! he's good at guarding bigs, but he's just slow in other aspects. people who don't watch the games regularly just label him as bad.
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach
And1: 16

Post#15 » by ColdBlue » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:29 am

Ok, here are my grades:

Booze: Would give an A+ on offense, but has to learn not to charge so often and hold onto the ball a little better. On defense, has Booze taken one charge in his career? His feet are in cement. Also, DW has drawn more free throw attempts.

Offense: A
Defense: C-

DW: He is having a hard time finding the groove of last season. Still very solid, but needs to open up a little on the drive and look for someone when it's not there. (which in turn will open it up for him when he drives)

Offense: A-
Defense: B
Running the point: B-

AK: Much improved shot, TO's down, but still easily losing the ball in the paint and a little out of control at times.

Offense: B
Defense: C+
Intangibles: B

Brew: Found a niche in the offense that is great, and can draw fouls off the dribble. Could really open it up if given a little slack... especially when the offense grinds to a halt. Defense needs work.

Offense: B+
Defense: C

Memo: Shooting worst % in his career, but injured. Defense is average, which is good on this team.

Offense: C
Defense: B-

Bench: C-

It starts with Hart (D-) and ends with Collins (C-). Not good. Harpring still has a good shot, but it evens out on the defensive end. Korver will really help. Sap is playing pretty solid.

Coaching: C-

Someone has to take responsibility for a team with this amount of talent, and a failure to bring it together. Strict discipline and relying upon a template doesn't cut it in the NBA. It can only bring you so far. The template needs ammendments that are beyond the scope of our current CEO.

Also, pointing fingers at player's salaries and claiming that a coach does not need to motivate is a major cop out, and a cover up for personal weaknesses like being able to communicate and relate.

Total grade: C+

Return to Utah Jazz