Memo responds to fans criticisms

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

The Sheik
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#41 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:31 am

karizma87 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hey troll, just look at the team record w and w/out memo. thats all you gotta know. stop coming out when he has bad games, memo is essential even when he doesn't do ****

troll? You are an idiot. Honestly you are about the only person on this entire board that thinks memo plays good D. I stress good because that means better then average.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#42 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 am

memo is essential even when he doesn't do ****

that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#43 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 am

[quote="karizma87"]-= original quote snipped =-

just look at the team record w and w/out memo[quote]

Your making Memo look like our Nash (hence all of the PHX is sub .500 w/o Nash comments). Its not like Memo was our savior when he came back, we were still losing even when he started playing again.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#44 » by Pai Gow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:37 am

The Sheik wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.

Actually its not, everytime we run a high pick-n-roll or C, there is always a defender nearly bear hugging Memo off of it, and that's always one defender less to deal with which opens it up for Boozer and Williams, tonight Deron took full advantage of it whereas Booz just couldn't hit his shot.

I think it's IGNORANT for people to believe that Memo makes no difference on the court, if people would clearly watch the games they would see how much we need Memo.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#45 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 am

AKsWill wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually its not, everytime we run a high pick-n-roll or C, there is always a defender nearly bear hugging Memo off of it, and that's always one defender less to deal with which opens it up for Boozer and Williams, tonight Deron took full advantage of it whereas Booz just couldn't hit his shot.

I think it's IGNORANT for people to believe that Memo makes no difference on the court, if people would clearly watch the games they would see how much we need Memo.

He definitely makes a difference on "O", just like Korver does. My convo with this guy is strictly defense. I know Memo is huge for this offense he and Korver and Korver and Harpring do a great job of stretching the floor and attacking from the wings.

My reason for finding that comment ignorant is because Memo is an awful defender (not that Boozer is any better), but they both just sit around and hack people when they get beat. Furthermore, he doesnt box out hard or crash the boards tuff.

Memo was the weakest link on D tonight, he made a lot of mental mistakes that almost cost us the game.
karizma87
Rookie

Post#46 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:46 am

memo is not an awful defender nor is he good, he struggles against faster opponents and does better against slower big men (like yao). his offensive role in the team is undisputable. what I don't understand is why you come out after he may have had a bad game (i didn't watch it), and randomly quote something I said days ago...btw you didnt even read it right cus u thought i said he was a good defender. so crawl back where you came from.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#47 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 am

karizma87 wrote:memo is not an awful defender nor is he good, he struggles against faster opponents and does better against slower big men (like yao). his offensive role in the team is undisputable. what I don't understand is why you come out after he may have had a bad game (i didn't watch it), and randomly quote something I said days ago...btw you didnt even read it right cus u thought i said he was a good defender. so crawl back where you came from.

He has had a bad season...not game. His d hasnt been good nor average for nearly the entire season and he is way to inconsistent on offense. I bring up your old crap because you have no sense of humor and try to act like you have a vastly superior NBA mind then everyone else here. Basically you are a douchebag. You are obviously a turk and Memo is your fav. player, but put your homerism aside and look at the games and his D. Deron is my favorite player and even I criticism him when he plays bad.

Contribute something...like what AKsWill posted.

The only thing I add from your post is who else is as slow or slower then Yao? Thats pretty much the only matchup that Memo excels in.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#48 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 am

I think Memo could be a good/great player, but he needs to play a lot less. Unfortunately we dont have a more viable C option. It would be great if we could find a player that covers Memos weaknesses, we nearly have that at every position but C and PG to an extent.
karizma87
Rookie

Post#49 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:05 pm

The Sheik wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He has had a bad season...not game. His d hasnt been good nor average for nearly the entire season and he is way to inconsistent on offense. I bring up your old crap because you have no sense of humor and try to act like you have a vastly superior NBA mind then everyone else here. Basically you are a douchebag. You are obviously a turk and Memo is your fav. player, but put your homerism aside and look at the games and his D. Deron is my favorite player and even I criticism him when he plays bad.

Contribute something...like what AKsWill posted.

The only thing I add from your post is who else is as slow or slower then Yao? Thats pretty much the only matchup that Memo excels in.

it's funny cus AKsWill said exactly what I said, and exposed you.
as for memo, wtf do you mean he could be a good player, the dude was an allstar, he already is a good effin player. yea he is having a bad season FOR HIS STANDARDS, but that doesn't change the fact that he's very important for this team. come back when you wanna make a real point...you started this.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#50 » by The Sheik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:26 pm

it's funny cus AKsWill said exactly what I said, and exposed you.
as for memo, wtf do you mean he could be a good player, the dude was an allstar, he already is a good effin player. yea he is having a bad season FOR HIS STANDARDS, but that doesn't change the fact that he's very important for this team. come back when you wanna make a real point...you started this.

how did it expose me? He talked about Memo's Offense, which I have no problem with. He didnt talk about his D one bit. Memo is a joke All Star you go ask anyone off of this board and they will tell you so. All Stars dont fall off as hard as Memo has. Deron deserved to be an All Star way more then Memo. Sure he bailed us out of a lot of situations and put us on his back while booz was out, bu where did he go after that? Im starting to think he is either playing injured, out of shape or Stephen A Smith is right, and I hate to agree with him.

Anyway Im done having this conversation with you. You are obviously a child and there is no point trying to have a conversation with you. You have brought up one stat or point other then "Memo is effin good".
karizma87
Rookie

Post#51 » by karizma87 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 pm

it's pretty weak to go after a player when they're having a bad season. even shaq is having a horrid season, and last time I checked he was an all-star. he may be old, but he's still shaq. along with injuries, I think memo is just coasting, and the team is winning so what's the matter? let the guy come back...I guess you're sore because memo got the nod at all-star over deron...but that's not his fault. look at deron's voting this year. so just accept it and stop hating on memo. he's a rare talent in this league, and at hsi best he is an all-star whether you like it or not...sayanora
Sloanfeld
Banned User

Post#52 » by Sloanfeld » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:41 pm

karizma87 wrote:even shaq is having a horrid season, and last time I checked he was an all-star.

I guess you haven't checked in a while...
leventuysal
Rookie
And1: 64

Post#53 » by leventuysal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:11 am

It seems Memo's one on one D is rather underrated. He can do allright in iso situations but his help D, along with almost everyone else's on the roster, sucks.

Defensively Memo is not as big a liability as most of you guys think. He's exposed because in order to save Booze from foul trouble JS gives Memo the other team's best offensive big man to defend. Statswise he doesn't show up because normally he leaves the rebounding to Booze, who instead of playing decent D to the end goes for boards to pad his stats. (Anyone disagree?)

Remember: whenever Booze leaves the rebounding to Memo and decides to run the floor early to get in position, 1- Memo has his 12+ boards 2- the Jazz win more easily.

Offensively, Memo does NOT suck. He spreads the defense and opens up a lot of space inside. Even when his shot isn't falling he helps.

Attention: having KK or AK taking a shot does not free up as much space for Booze. A big man playing outside draws a big defender out.

All that being said, I hope Memo remembers his inside game and takes it to the hoop more. I believe he's just coasting for the time being, but there's always a risk that he, like Booze, could fall desperately in love with his jumpshot.
even beethoven had his critics. name three of them.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#54 » by The Sheik » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:35 am

leventuysal wrote:It seems Memo's one on one D is rather underrated. He can do allright in iso situations but his help D, along with almost everyone else's on the roster, sucks.

Defensively Memo is not as big a liability as most of you guys think. He's exposed because in order to save Booze from foul trouble JS gives Memo the other team's best offensive big man to defend. Statswise he doesn't show up because normally he leaves the rebounding to Booze, who instead of playing decent D to the end goes for boards to pad his stats. (Anyone disagree?)

Remember: whenever Booze leaves the rebounding to Memo and decides to run the floor early to get in position, 1- Memo has his 12+ boards 2- the Jazz win more easily.

Offensively, Memo does NOT suck. He spreads the defense and opens up a lot of space inside. Even when his shot isn't falling he helps.

Attention: having KK or AK taking a shot does not free up as much space for Booze. A big man playing outside draws a big defender out.

All that being said, I hope Memo remembers his inside game and takes it to the hoop more. I believe he's just coasting for the time being, but there's always a risk that he, like Booze, could fall desperately in love with his jumpshot.

Your right he does take the best teams offensive big, but what does he do with it? He gets beat and he slaps at the player and puts him to the line. In fact tonight Boozer did a better job then Memo and Jerry stuck with him. I dont think his man D is underrated, I think its average at best.

So you think Boozer is holding Memo back...haha...that is a new one. Rebounding is part of Defense, why would Memo leave it to booz? I dont think Boozer or anyone else cares who gets the board as long as someone gets it. If he is close to 10, sure he might go harder after a board or even out jump a teammate for it. I think its pathetic of people to blame other teammates for someones downfall. Memo isnt even trying to get boards out there, a lot of his boards dont even come from boxing out. I mean look at his brain fart last night, when he couldnt even box out on a FT and after 2 T-Mac misses he let Battier get an offensive board and 2 pts.

I agree that his offense is unrivaled, but he has been extremely inconsistent for nearly a year now. Everyone thought he was back after those back to back games, I personally thought he had more to show and guess what he hasnt showed it.

I disagree with your comment that AK and KK dont spread the floor like Memo. With both players being deep threats it opens the floor for Booz on the C play...which you saw with that wide open dunk off the C.

Lastly, this is now 2 people that have told me that Memo is just coasting for now, if that is really an excuse for his poor play then I lose all respect for him. Nobody should every be coasting, right now because we are winning Memo gets a free pass, but trust me if we werent a lot more people would be on his ass for his lack of effort 48 mins a game. Because you are right, he played hard for 7 mins in the 1st and then coasted the rest of the game.
leventuysal
Rookie

Post#55 » by leventuysal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 am

Memo does not have the monstrous physique many players, Booze one among them, have. He can't consistently exist on both ends of the floor every night. Hence the coasting.

Mark my words: Memo's O- and D-output will be much more valuable come the 2nd half of the season. That's when he'll gear up.

About the boards: Memo does not go after the ball if he sees it's a Utah ball. Booze on the other hand even outhustles his own teammates for rebounds. There's a difference in mentality, but this makes no difference - Utah has the ball in each case.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#56 » by The Sheik » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:55 am

leventuysal wrote:Memo does not have the monstrous physique many players, Booze one among them, have. He can't consistently exist on both ends of the floor every night. Hence the coasting.

Mark my words: Memo's O- and D-output will be much more valuable come the 2nd half of the season. That's when he'll gear up.

About the boards: Memo does not go after the ball if he sees it's a Utah ball. Booze on the other hand even outhustles his own teammates for rebounds. There's a difference in mentality, but this makes no difference - Utah has the ball in each case.

Well I hope your right, because if he doesnt he is going to be the bulk of the off season trade discussion.

As for rebounds, this is not always the case. I have seen Memo not even try and either give up an offensive board. Memo somehow managed to get 8 rebounds a game even with boozer getting 11 last yr. His boards our down nearly 3 and believe it or not that is the difference in our rebounding margin. Thats potentially 6 more ppg that Memo is giving up by not attacking the boards. Harpring is doing the same thing, but AK has replaced his board production. We need Memo to step up on the boards.
leventuysal
Rookie

Post#57 » by leventuysal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:06 am

I still don't see a 100%-fit Memo on the court. He has this tendency to play through his injuries and I believe his back's still bothering him. If we win with him coasting, I can't complain long as he's in shape for the playoffs.

Return to Utah Jazz