2024 Trade Rumors

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,660

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#161 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'd easily do a deal around 3 + Amen Thompson + additional compensation. Thompson has every skill except a shot and if that is ever acceptable he will be an all-star. If the three future firsts are the Brooklyn picks? That would be highway robbery by us.

What position does he play? Is he a SF? A SG who can't shoot, or a PG who averaged 4.2 assists per 36 minutes? He becomes a lot less attractive if he's not a PG, which is what he was touted to be going into the draft. Does he fit with George, or will they be the most inefficient back court in the league? Not saying he isn't talented or doesn't have potential but I'm not sure where he fits. He's the same age as Giddey and they suffer from some of the same issues and we see what Giddey's career trajectory is looking like.

The #3 pick in this year's draft isn't that attractive. Are the prospects expected to be picked there that much better than those expected to be picked at #10?

Three future firsts won't really do much for the Jazz unless they are the Brooklyn picks because the Jazz already have plenty of picks in the 20s. In fact, Ainge already doesn't want to start next season with 3 more rookies (as he said himself) and the Jazz are starting to get into OKC territory of having too many picks which forces them to give some away every draft for very little value back.

1) he's a combo-forward who needs to develop a shot but has every other skill
2) I think there is a small difference between 3 & 10, and I am not a fan of this draft, but I'd still be happy to have another lottery pick
3) sure, if they are the Brooklyn picks, though, that is just crazy value ... if they are other picks? That is still very liquid assets to move up in the draft or trade for other players as the core develops.

For someone who, over the years, has wanted the Jazz to do what it takes to build a championship core (which would happen through the draft and through trades) I'm surprised at how resistant you are to the exact kind of trade that would make this happen.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,532

Post#162 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 23, 2024 9:11 pm

babyjax13 wrote:For someone who, over the years, has wanted the Jazz to do what it takes to build a championship core (which would happen through the draft and through trades) I'm surprised at how resistant you are to the exact kind of trade that would make this happen.

I'm not against the general concept of the trade, I just don't like the return and the timing. It's a weak draft. We'll see how it turns out in a few years but none of the prospects make the impression that we'd be missing out if we don't have the 3rd pick. I'd be much more supportive if it was next year's draft or last year's draft. Like, Taylor Hendricks or GG Jackson would be in consideration for the 3rd pick in this draft.

As for having more liquid assets, picks in the 20s can only get you so much, especially when you have a ton of them. It's the same reason the Knicks can't get real value for all their picks and why we as fans didn't want them, why OKC is forced to practically give them away in recent years, why Ainge already doesn't want 3 more rookies on the roster, etc. At this point quality is more important than quantity.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 952

Post#163 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 23, 2024 9:11 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'd easily do a deal around 3 + Amen Thompson + additional compensation. Thompson has every skill except a shot and if that is ever acceptable he will be an all-star. If the three future firsts are the Brooklyn picks? That would be highway robbery by us.

What position does he play? Is he a SF? A SG who can't shoot, or a PG who averaged 4.2 assists per 36 minutes? He becomes a lot less attractive if he's not a PG, which is what he was touted to be going into the draft. Does he fit with George, or will they be the most inefficient back court in the league? Not saying he isn't talented or doesn't have potential but I'm not sure where he fits. He's the same age as Giddey and they suffer from some of the same issues and we see what Giddey's career trajectory is looking like.

The #3 pick in this year's draft isn't that attractive. Are the prospects expected to be picked there that much better than those expected to be picked at #10?

Three future firsts won't really do much for the Jazz unless they are the Brooklyn picks because the Jazz already have plenty of picks in the 20s. In fact, Ainge already doesn't want to start next season with 3 more rookies (as he said himself) and the Jazz are starting to get into OKC territory of having too many picks which forces them to give some away every draft for very little value back.

1) he's a combo-forward who needs to develop a shot but has every other skill
2) I think there is a small difference between 3 & 10, and I am not a fan of this draft, but I'd still be happy to have another lottery pick
3) sure, if they are the Brooklyn picks, though, that is just crazy value ... if they are other picks? That is still very liquid assets to move up in the draft or trade for other players as the core develops.

For someone who, over the years, has wanted the Jazz to do what it takes to build a championship core (which would happen through the draft and through trades) I'm surprised at how resistant you are to the exact kind of trade that would make this happen.

I mean, I think that Amen could be a great player, but he has to play next to a true stretch 5 (and the Jazz can't get one of those guys...). He's worked so hard to learn how to shoot and is basically as good as like Shaq or Dwight at shooting, it's not going to happen.

And I think Will Hardy would hate Amen for being unable to shoot as well.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,034

Post#164 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 23, 2024 10:01 pm

^^
In my mind, the Jazz are two, maybe only one, player away, and a decent supporting cast/depth, from being pretty good with Markk on the team. Hitting on one draft pick and then trading for one or more other players could make that a reality. If Markk is traded, then we are looking at minimum 3-4 years of utter suckage with the hope that we will have someone as good or better than Markk at the end of the day. So, I am very reluctant to trade him, even if the haul is big, unless we are getting someone who could be a franchise player (e.g. SGA/PG13 trade).
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 198

Post#165 » by WinterSoldier » Thu May 23, 2024 10:55 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:^^
In my mind, the Jazz are two, maybe only one, player away, and a decent supporting cast/depth, from being pretty good with Markk on the team. Hitting on one draft pick and then trading for one or more other players could make that a reality. If Markk is traded, then we are looking at minimum 3-4 years of utter suckage with the hope that we will have someone as good or better than Markk at the end of the day. So, I am very reluctant to trade him, even if the haul is big, unless we are getting someone who could be a franchise player (e.g. SGA/PG13 trade).

One superstar and an all-star away from being a championship level team. Markk is a good 3rd option for a team like Porzingis, Bosh, or Ginobili type. We need top 5 picks for 3-4 years before we have a solid base to compete with. We should trade Lauri but we should try and get young talent back rather than just picks.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,767

Post#166 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 am

WinterSoldier wrote:

One superstar and an all-star away from being a championship level team. Markk is a good 3rd option for a team like Porzingis, Bosh, or Ginobili type. We need top 5 picks for 3-4 years before we have a solid base to compete with. We should trade Lauri but we should try and get young talent back rather than just picks.

So just a superstar away.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 198

Post#167 » by WinterSoldier » Fri May 24, 2024 2:08 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:

So just a superstar away.

One superstar in addition to another all-star.
Tatum, Brown, and Porzingis
Edwards, KAT, Gobert
Steph, Klay, Green
James, Wade, Bosh

The other option is top 5 player and top 20 player with good players surrounding them
Luka, Kyrie, plus quality role players
Joker, Murray, MPJ, AG

So far we have one top 30-40 player maybe top 25 production on a team as bad as ours, and nothing else.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,854

Post#168 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 28, 2024 8:16 pm

Throwing this out there with the recent report from Hoops Hype, would you trade Collins, 10 and 29 for Kuzma and 26?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 987

Post#169 » by red4hf » Tue May 28, 2024 10:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Throwing this out there with the recent report from Hoops Hype, would you trade Collins, 10 and 29 for Kuzma and 26?

No...... As much as Collins doesn't fit, Kuzma is not worth that........
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,660

Post#170 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 29, 2024 1:59 am

Rafael122 wrote:Throwing this out there with the recent report from Hoops Hype, would you trade Collins, 10 and 29 for Kuzma and 26?

Not a chance. I might do Collins and 29 for cap space and/or expirings, but no way would I trade the 10th pick and have the return be a player as bad and wrong directionally as Kuzma.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#171 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 29, 2024 2:48 pm

I hate it when this stupid website reloads. Utah will find a player like Markky Mark, undervalued but ready to turn the page. My bet is Trae or Murray. Neither has played with a guy like Markky Mark.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#172 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 29, 2024 2:50 pm

Or a guy like Zion. Not much soul food in Utah.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 85

Post#173 » by D Rog » Wed May 29, 2024 6:01 pm

I don't see why the Jazz would do that. Kuzma's contract is 1 year longer than John Collins (similar salary) and Kuzma is 2 years older.
Just looking at shooting stats Collins has a better 3 pt %, a better FG% and FT%.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 85

Post#174 » by D Rog » Wed May 29, 2024 6:10 pm

This is not a rumor but I would be curious about what it would take to get Mikal Bridges. It sounds like Nets ownership may be looking at a long term rebuild. I would love to add Bridges with a real point guard (D. Murray maybe?) to the Jazz. Just curious about the cost.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 229

Post#175 » by Gert42 » Thu May 30, 2024 12:01 am

My guess is that it would cost two of the Cleveland picks, No.10 and maybe their choice of George/Hendricks. Plus some salary flotsam.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#176 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 30, 2024 1:11 pm

Yesterday Locke brought up a report by someone that the Jazz are shopping the #10th pick. I don't have a twitter account so I can't post the actual tweet by that guy. The context is that they are looking to move it for a star, which I suppose isn't really surprising or even news.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#177 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 30, 2024 6:46 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Yesterday Locke brought up a report by someone that the Jazz are shopping the #10th pick. I don't have a twitter account so I can't post the actual tweet by that guy. The context is that they are looking to move it for a star, which I suppose isn't really surprising or even news.

I have to wonder if that is actually what they want to do, or if it is posturing, for the fans, Markkanen, and/or other GMs. I don't think that the #10 pick in this draft is worth as much as usual, and I am not sure which stars would be available that would make a lot of sense at the moment.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#178 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 30, 2024 6:54 pm

Not surprisingly, there are rumors that OKC is looking to move off of Giddey.

Would the Jazz be interested?
We could do John Collins for Giddey straight across as OKC has a ton of cap space. Giddey's size and playmaking are appealing, but his lack of shooting and defense are concerning. It also moves Keyonte off ball, which could be a good thing, but relegates him from the starting PG position. OKC needs rebounding, and Collins fits next to Chet Holmgren as they both have the ability to play inside or out.

If not, could the Jazz facilitate a trade?
For example, the Nets need a playmaking PG. Trade Collins to OKC, JC to the Nets (who would also get Giddey) and get back Ben Simmons and Dariq Whitehead in return. We might also be able to get some draft consideration out of the deal.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#179 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu May 30, 2024 9:18 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Not surprisingly, there are rumors that OKC is looking to move off of Giddey.

Would the Jazz be interested?
We could do John Collins for Giddey straight across as OKC has a ton of cap space. Giddey's size and playmaking are appealing, but his lack of shooting and defense are concerning. It also moves Keyonte off ball, which could be a good thing, but relegates him from the starting PG position. OKC needs rebounding, and Collins fits next to Chet Holmgren as they both have the ability to play inside or out.

If not, could the Jazz facilitate a trade?
For example, the Nets need a playmaking PG. Trade Collins to OKC, JC to the Nets (who would also get Giddey) and get back Ben Simmons and Dariq Whitehead in return. We might also be able to get some draft consideration out of the deal.

I don't know if it's in the cards because Presti is very good at extracting value in trades but I'd do both trades. I'm not that high on Giddey (cooled off on him considerably since the end of the previous season) but if all it costs is a straight up swap of Collins I'd be all for it, despite my reservations.

bkohler
Rookie
And1: 475

Post#180 » by bkohler » Fri May 31, 2024 1:15 am

I personally think the rumors of the Jazz moving #10 says more about this draft than it does about any specific direction the team is taking. Theres also rumors its #10, #29, Clarkson and Collins they’re dangling… which if you’re not thrilled with options at #10 it makes sense to get something that can retain value even if you are tanking.

Heck if you can drop those two contracts and get a positive asset I’d give up #10 pretty quickly.

Return to Utah Jazz