Favors vs a stretch 4

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Favors vs a stretch 4 

Post#21 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 pm

I can't answer the concept of Favs vs a stretch 4 unless we say who the stretch 4 is, and what their salaries are compared to each other. Favs is more than a PF. He is also a 5 at times. If we can retain him at 13-16 million I think he is easily worth it(assuming health). If he loses weight, shows he is back to the player he was the previous few years, and maintains his positive attitude and his desire to be part of the community, I see no reason why not to bring him back(unless we are scared of health).
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#22 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm

I think we should focus on stretch 1s 2s and 3s before we start asking for stretch 4s.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,031

Post#23 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Winglish wrote:Derrick Favors was the PF in Utah's best 5 man lineup with over 25 possessions last season.

Hill, Jingles, Hayward, Favors Gobert was the very best team the Jazz had.

I like Favors as a combo 4/5 with some of his minutes coming behind Gobert. Joe Johnson was an excellent backup 4 last season. I would rather JJ get those power forward minutes than Jingles. I think Jingles is a wing player.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/lineup_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&lineup_type=5-man&output=total&is_playoffs=N&year_id=2017&team_id=UTA&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&c1stat=poss&c1comp=ge&c1val=25&order_by=diff_pts

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app

A concern that I have is that all of Hill, Hayward and Ingles were good, consistent shooters (average about 40% from 3pt). Will the issue of spacing become a reality once the outside shooting is not there? The great news is that very early on we will see if things click better with Favors or someone like Jerebko at the PF position.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#24 » by eLo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Healthy Fav will easily get 20 mln per season book it, i really count on Jerebko maybe not your perfect stretch 4 but i guess he can pan out next to Gob
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#25 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm

eLo wrote:Healthy Fav will easily get 20 mln per season book it, i really count on Jerebko maybe not your perfect stretch 4 but i guess he can pan out next to Gob

Healthy Favs better get more than that.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Health is everyone's first concern, and rightfully so, but his willingness to run the floor is another. If Favors wants to run the floor, he could be an all star. With that said, he could have been an all star a long time ago if he wanted things more. Favors is the best option not because he fits, but simply because the other options aren't very good. That has been the case year after year.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#27 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 am

Favors is a 5. Favors should play all of the backup 5 minutes behind Gobert. He has a 9'2 standing reach, and the weight to check centers. He does well defending the rim as the biggest guy on the floor. He is a center. We can play him at the 4 and go twin towers for the other 10-14 minutes a night he plays. 16 minutes at center though.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#28 » by Winglish » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:41 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Winglish wrote:Derrick Favors was the PF in Utah's best 5 man lineup with over 25 possessions last season.

Hill, Jingles, Hayward, Favors Gobert was the very best team the Jazz had.

I like Favors as a combo 4/5 with some of his minutes coming behind Gobert. Joe Johnson was an excellent backup 4 last season. I would rather JJ get those power forward minutes than Jingles. I think Jingles is a wing player.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/lineup_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&lineup_type=5-man&output=total&is_playoffs=N&year_id=2017&team_id=UTA&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&c1stat=poss&c1comp=ge&c1val=25&order_by=diff_pts

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app

A concern that I have is that all of Hill, Hayward and Ingles were good, consistent shooters (average about 40% from 3pt). Will the issue of spacing become a reality once the outside shooting is not there? The great news is that very early on we will see if things click better with Favors or someone like Jerebko at the PF position.

Yes, I think you make a fair point. The guards and wings need to do their part.
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#29 » by Pass_the_rock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 am

Luigi wrote:Favors is a 5. Favors should play all of the backup 5 minutes behind Gobert. He has a 9'2 standing reach, and the weight to check centers. He does well defending the rim as the biggest guy on the floor. He is a center. We can play him at the 4 and go twin towers for the other 10-14 minutes a night he plays. 16 minutes at center though.

Last season when Favors was on the floor without Gobert the team allowed opponents 57.2% TS and had drtg of 112.3
with Gobert on and Favors off: opponent's TS 52.9% and drtg of 105.7
with them playing together: 50.4% and 98.9

So while they form a good defense together, Favors didn't cut it on his own. Gobert is just too essential.

edit:
Also the best Ortg was with Gobert without Favors and the worst Ortg was with Favors without Gobert.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#30 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:03 am

Pass_the_rock wrote:
Luigi wrote:Favors is a 5. Favors should play all of the backup 5 minutes behind Gobert. He has a 9'2 standing reach, and the weight to check centers. He does well defending the rim as the biggest guy on the floor. He is a center. We can play him at the 4 and go twin towers for the other 10-14 minutes a night he plays. 16 minutes at center though.

Last season when Favors was on the floor without Gobert the team allowed opponents 57.2% TS and had drtg of 112.3
with Gobert on and Favors on: opponent's TS 52.9% and drtg of 105.7

So while they form a good defense together, Favors didn't cut it on his own. Gobert is just too essential.

edit:
Also the best Ortg was with Gobert without Favors and the worst Ortg was with Favors without Gobert.

The second line must be with Favors off, right?

Also, I don't see what this has to do with what I posted. Gobert can't play 48 minutes. The rest should go to Favors at center (about 16 minutes), then the rest of Favors' minutes should be at power forward (about 10 - 14).
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#31 » by BudTugly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 am

Pass_the_rock wrote:

with Gobert on and Favors on: opponent's TS 52.9% and drtg of 105.7

edit:

Last season Favors was playing on one leg.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#32 » by CAE15 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:15 am

Resign Favors if you can. At worst he's a trade chip. Gobert and Favors are great screen and roll men; which I imagine Quin will put a lot of emphasis on this year. They are a force on defense together. Let them play together. Favors best position is still the 4. He's a natural 4 and yes in this NBA or teams getting smaller and smaller. He may struggle to keep up with a couple here and there but he should be able to abuse his matchup on the offensive end.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Luigi
General Manager

Post#33 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 am

CAE15 wrote:Resign Favors if you can. At worst he's a trade chip. Gobert and Favors are great screen and roll men; which I imagine Quin will put a lot of emphasis on this year. They are a force on defense together. Let them play together. Favors best position is still the 4. He's a natural 4 and yes in this NBA or teams getting smaller and smaller. He may struggle to keep up with a couple here and there but he should be able to abuse his matchup on the offensive end.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Why do you think he's a natural 4? All his measurements at 5 numbers.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#34 » by BudTugly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm

BudTugly
Veteran

Post#35 » by BudTugly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

For the cap people: What is the offer Utah can make which reasonably could be a keeper going forward?

16-17 per over three? A little less for a PO?

Assume Dennis hired you expressly for coming up with a sustainable number and he told you Favors is considered an important part of his vision.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#36 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Pass_the_rock wrote:

edit:

Favors isn't Gobert, there's no question., But in fairness, when Favors was playing center his teammates on the floor were Shelvin Mack, Trey Lyles, Boris Diaw, Dante Exum, Joe Johnson, etc. (Not Haywood, Hill, etc.).
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by Pass_the_rock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
Pass_the_rock wrote:

edit:

Favors isn't Gobert, there's no question., But in fairness, when Favors was playing center his teammates on the floor were Shelvin Mack, Trey Lyles, Boris Diaw, Dante Exum, Joe Johnson, etc. (Not Haywood, Hill, etc.).

You mean that he played with the bench unit vs other bench units, right?
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by Pass_the_rock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm

BudTugly wrote:

Most highlights are with him playing at center. And when he's with Gobert you can just see how other teams crowd the paint, but it's mostly because of Rudy though.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,483

Post#39 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm

BudTugly wrote:For the cap people: What is the offer Utah can make which reasonably could be a keeper going forward?

Assume Dennis hired you expressly for coming up with a sustainable number and he told you Favors is considered an important part of his vision.

The problem with offering a reasonable and sustainable number for the Jazz is that they have to compete with the rest of the league. Some of the teams will be willing to overpay, which would make Favors' contract non-sustainable for the Jazz. And Favors being an UFA, the Jazz wouldn't even have the power to match any offer. From a financial standpoint, Favors has no reason to take a 17M per year for 3 years, as he can do much better and other lesser players are making more.

One of the reasons people bring up for Favors not losing his trade value is that other teams will want his bird rights and the ability to sign him on a 5 year deal (which I think is an unreasonable assumption). But if that's the case, Favors will have no incentive to sign a 3 year deal with the Jazz.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#40 » by BudTugly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
BudTugly wrote:For the cap people: What is the offer Utah can make which reasonably could be a keeper going forward?

The problem with offering a reasonable and sustainable number for the Jazz is that they have to compete with the rest of the league. Some of the teams will be willing to overpay, which would make Favors' contract non-sustainable for the Jazz. And Favors being an UFA, the Jazz wouldn't even have the power to match any offer. From a financial standpoint, Favors has no reason to take a 17M per year for 3 years, as he can do much better and other lesser players are making more.

One of the reasons people bring up for Favors not losing his trade value is that other teams will want his bird rights and the ability to sign him on a 5 year deal (which I think is an unreasonable assumption). But if that's the case, Favors will have no incentive to sign a 3 year deal with the Jazz.

I mean an offer you can send him this week, not an offer next June. Dennis says back to your cubicle young man! lol

Return to Utah Jazz