Boozer officially says he will opt out

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Matt007b
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Re: Boozer officially says he will opt out 

Post#21 » by Matt007b » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Yeah I agree everyone knew he was going to opt out...buuut...

his PR Skills SUCK they really do he knows how to tick fans like me off...overall boozer's timing sucks.. why didn't he wait until after the season is he TRYING to push for a trade before the deadline? The only reason I guess is to stop the questions about it but he put that down earlier in the season when he said he wasn't going to talk about it until after the season. Way to show respect for the franchise, on a crucial road trip and he comes out at this point of the season and says "I deserve more so i'm opting out" (course you've missed a month.. and haven't really shown a whole lot this year..)

what a jerk...sorry...he's starting to get on my nerves.."i'll be back wed..welll nevermind.." ow felt sore after practice.. i'll sit out..again. Oh by the way i'm "opting out" I was going to wait until after the season but i'll go public and piss Jazz fans off. After his CAVS departure I guess we can't be totally suprised but geezus.. c'mon boozer show some heart!
fivas14
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by fivas14 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:52 pm

KOC better move on this.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by HammerDunk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 pm

I wonder how many times Malone or Stockton felt soreness in their backs when they were 10 years older than him and toughed it out. I hate to make the comparison, but it's impossible not to. I wonder how sore Deron's ankle is after every game, yet he sacks up to help the team win. I bet Sap is sore a lot, he takes a beating down low. Memo, yes marshmemo is playing with a sore back. AK is playing with a lot of soreness. What the hell kind of excuse is "SORENESS" for not coming back.

I really hope Sloan and the Jazz have the sack to punish him somehow. I would love to see him come off the bench when he comes back in, but it won't happen. You know, earn his "raise" the way Millsap has? He better have the best rest of the season he has ever had to get an inkling of respect back from me.

And to think, just a month ago I was arguing this team wouldn't be able to do a thing with Sap as a starting PF. Sure we have had some ugly games, but we haven't been practicing with him as the starting PF for that long, Deron is still getting back to full health, AK, Korver, Memo have all been less than %100. We may lose a bit on the offensive end, but we have plenty of other offense to make up for it, and we gain in defense. If we have hustle from other key players like last night on the glass, thing will be fine. As if this team didn't have enough distractions right now. I'm frickin pissed off...
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
GP
Pro Prospect

Post#24 » by GP » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Not a surprise he is going to opt out, however, whats with his timing? I do like boozer and I don't think he's milking the injury, but him verbalizing this right now, is idiotic.
kerplunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#25 » by kerplunk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:55 pm

DFO wrote:Simple trade — Sheed for Booz.

Both are in final year of their contracts.

Pistons might go for it, and if they do, so should we.

That is the post defense that we are looking for, and quite frankly he is still a pretty effective offensive player as well. Given that he is in the final year of his deal there is considerable incentive to play hard.

... and Sheed plays for the Jazz posting a 20 point 6 rebound game. Then traded the next day for a future first round pick.

Oh wait...
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#26 » by outerspacefella » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Frontcourt players: Boozer, Okur, Millsap, Koufos, Collins, Fesenko
Forwards: Kirilenko, Harpring
Wings: Korver, Brewer, Miles, Almond
Guards: Williams, Knight, Price

Boozer will opt out of a 12+M contract; he will be looking for about 15M per year for 5 years or something around it.

Millsap will be in the restricted market looking no less than MLE for 5 years kind of contract, and rightfully so.

Okur most certainly will use his early terminaton; if he had any doubt, the recent All-Star balloting must have persuaded him thet he has real value around the league.

Collins will be a FA; Jazz almost for certain will wait to see if he gets an offer from another team, and will go from there with him; in my book he's as good a last resort big guy as they come.

Jazz have a team option for Fesenko last year at 0.87M; it's a mystery if the kid can or cannot play.

If they all stay in Utah, we will have a 37M frontcourt.

Williams will run the point for almost 14M; Knight and Price will be FA and I bet Jazz will somehow sign them again.

And we'll be then at least at the 55 or 56M mark.

Then we'll have Harp 6,5M and Kirilenko 16,5M setting us in the 78-79M mark.

And then we have our wings: Brewer 2.7M and Miles 3.7M will lead us to the 84-85M zone. And we still have Korver's 5+M (if he decides against his early termnination thing...)... so all of a sudden we are a 90M team!!!

Then resigning Almond will appear as a restaurant tip.

There's no way we can hold this team together, even if we trade Kirilenko's contract. We'll be losing one of the major players plus a couple more to say the least.

So, in such scenario, who would you part ways with?
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#27 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:47 pm

How much is Utah willing to pay Millsap? What if Memphis or OKC targeted Millsap initially instead of Boozer and offered a contract similar to what Brand just inked - or even a salary similar to what was offered by the Grizz to Josh Smith (matched by Atlanta)?
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#28 » by outerspacefella » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:06 pm

JUST KEEP MILLSAP; his talents and his attitude will always help you.
Boozer's not going to bring you a championship anyway; he will be constantly raped by the Spurs or the Lakers. We need a center (let Koufos play a little bit more...) and another fearless PF; the rest is there already.
NEWJer-zNets
Ballboy

Post#29 » by NEWJer-zNets » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 pm

As a Nets fan , I personally like this trade. What are the Jazz fan`s take on a trade like this?...

New Jersey Nets incoming: Shawn Marion, Dorell Wright, and Jarron Collins

Miami Heat incoming: Stromile Swift, Carlos Boozer, (Nets first rd. pick via GSW)

Utah Jazz incoming: Sean Williams, Vince Carter

Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to New Jersey, Miami, and Utah being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Jersey, Miami, and Utah had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#30 » by Wolverine » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Millsap was getting too much attention. Booze felt left out needed to swing it back his way
tankster
Junior
And1: 3

Post#31 » by tankster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 pm

WHAT'S ALL THE UPROAR? When Boozer signed, part of what the Jazz were willing to pay him was the Player Option. Players who negotiate options in their contract use the PO to test the market. DOSEN'T MEAN HE'S GOING ANYWHERE. In fact when asked about the comments in question, KOC, while a tad puzzled at the timing, said the Jazz figure to retain Boozer and continue to build with him for the future. And that Carlos has indicated to them that he prefers to stay. When the Jazz gave him the PO, everyone knew this day would come. It would follow then that it's should be no suprise that he would use what the Jazz were willing to give. Besides, it's better than even money that it didn't come out of Carlos' mouth exactly the way it wound up in print. Never saw a journalist who wouldn't embelish the truth to create a controversy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings at this time of year but any fool who thinks they're going to sign Millsap for the paltry sum of 5 or 6 million a yr, is delusional beyond measure. He's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what Boozer and Okur are making now. AND, he COULD go down to injury in the first game he plays next year. Then you'll all be pissing about how much HE's making.

Besides, Kirilenko and Williams sure didn't leave anything on table when they both signed. They left plenty in Miller's pocket to sign complimentry players right...Riiiiggghhht. What makes you think Boozer should be treated any differently? And maybe, just maybe, with the economy in such bad shape, he'll find that the market isn't there and wind up signing for less. It's happened B-4... CHILL PEOPLE!!
gonzo
Junior
And1: 10

Post#32 » by gonzo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 am

Throw some realistic $$$ out here for Millsap, David Lee, Drew Gooden and whoever else is availlable for 2009-2010. Then let's look at Millsap+??? vs. Boozer alone, value-wise. if we get two competent PF for Boozer big money, maybe it's not so bad to let him walk. There's other guys out there. This will be an interesting summer for sure.
Racer X wrote:We are not out of this mother yet.
OC Jazzfan
Senior
And1: 2

Post#33 » by OC Jazzfan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 am

Obviously we all knew he was going to opt-out. It just seems like rather poor timing to announce it when he's missed the majority of the season due to a sore mangina. Can't he just put some Icy Hot on it?
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Post#34 » by schneiderjazz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 am

tankster wrote:WHAT'S ALL THE UPROAR? When Boozer signed, part of what the Jazz were willing to pay him was the Player Option. Players who negotiate options in their contract use the PO to test the market. DOSEN'T MEAN HE'S GOING ANYWHERE. In fact when asked about the comments in question, KOC, while a tad puzzled at the timing, said the Jazz figure to retain Boozer and continue to build with him for the future. And that Carlos has indicated to them that he prefers to stay. When the Jazz gave him the PO, everyone knew this day would come. It would follow then that it's should be no suprise that he would use what the Jazz were willing to give. Besides, it's better than even money that it didn't come out of Carlos' mouth exactly the way it wound up in print. Never saw a journalist who wouldn't embelish the truth to create a controversy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings at this time of year but any fool who thinks they're going to sign Millsap for the paltry sum of 5 or 6 million a yr, is delusional beyond measure. He's going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what Boozer and Okur are making now. AND, he COULD go down to injury in the first game he plays next year. Then you'll all be pissing about how much HE's making.

Besides, Kirilenko and Williams sure didn't leave anything on table when they both signed. They left plenty in Miller's pocket to sign complimentry players right...Riiiiggghhht. What makes you think Boozer should be treated any differently? And maybe, just maybe, with the economy in such bad shape, he'll find that the market isn't there and wind up signing for less. It's happened B-4... CHILL PEOPLE!!

I don't think anyone is pissed about Boozer asking for more money than he's getting right now. Of course he's gonna try to get as much as possible. What is pissing off everyone is the time he chose to say something like that. And also AK and Deron busted their asses off for 3 years to get their contracts. Boozer has been playing with the Jazz for 4.5 years, making a lot more money than either AK or Deron were making at first, and he's been injured in 2.5 out of the 4.5 he's played. He's put up 2 amazing seasons, but honestly, why would the Jazz commit about 20 million dollars (that's probably what he's gonna be asking for) a year to a player that doesn't really seem to give a **** about anything except getting paid and is injured way too often?
Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#35 » by Racer X » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:14 am

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this but today on Locke's show Larry H Miller said that Boozer asked the Jazz for a trade 2 1/2 years ago, when the situation with his son Carmani first popped up, and predating Derek Fisher leaving the team. Thought that was interesting.
tankster
Junior

Post#36 » by tankster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:19 am

schneiderjazz wrote:
tankster wrote:WHAT'S ALL THE UPROAR? When Boozer signed, part of what the Jazz were willing to pay him was the Player Option. Players who negotiate options in their contract use the PO to test the market. DOSEN'T MEAN HE'S GOING ANYWHERE. In fact when asked about the comments in question, KOC, while a tad puzzled at the timing, said the Jazz figure to retain Boozer and continue to build with him for the future. And that Carlos has indicated to them that he prefers to stay. When the Jazz gave him the PO, everyone knew this day would come. It would follow then that it's should be no suprise that he would use what the Jazz were willing to give. Besides, it's better than even money that it didn't come out of Carlos' mouth exactly the way it wound up in print. Never saw a journalist who wouldn't embelish the truth to create a controversy.

I don't think anyone is pissed about Boozer asking for more money than he's getting right now. Of course he's gonna try to get as much as possible. What is pissing off everyone is the time he chose to say something like that. And also AK and Deron busted their asses off for 3 years to get their contracts. Boozer has been playing with the Jazz for 4.5 years, making a lot more money than either AK or Deron were making at first, and he's been injured in 2.5 out of the 4.5 he's played. He's put up 2 amazing seasons, but honestly, why would the Jazz commit about 20 million dollars (that's probably what he's gonna be asking for) a year to a player that doesn't really seem to give a **** about anything except getting paid and is injured way too often?

OK SJ normally I just write what I think and don't debate but I'll bite just once. You nor anyone else has any idea what Boozer and the Jazz will ask for or settle on. The first thoughts on most minds here is to over react and think the worst which generally turns out to be the farthest from reality.

In regard to what Carlos was supposed to have said to Chris Sheridan from ESPN, it turned out to be about like I posted above. Read Boozer's response below in the Salt Lake Trib and hour ago.

Raising the stakes

Carlos Boozer disputed the context of his comment -- "No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless" -- to ESPN.com in talking about opting out of his contract for 2009-10.

Boozer said of reporter Chris Sheridan: "He basically put that in my mouth. Without saying it in so many words. He used that word [raise], I didn't even use that word. I don't even talk like that."
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by schneiderjazz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 am

tankster wrote:
OK SJ normally I just write what I think and don't debate but I'll bite just once. You nor anyone else has any idea what Boozer and the Jazz will ask for or settle on. The first thoughts on most minds here is to over react and think the worst which generally turns out to be the farthest from reality.

In regard to what Carlos was supposed to have said to Chris Sheridan from ESPN, it turned out to be about like I posted above. Read Boozer's response below in the Salt Lake Trib and hour ago.

Raising the stakes

Carlos Boozer disputed the context of his comment -- "No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless" -- to ESPN.com in talking about opting out of his contract for 2009-10.

Boozer said of reporter Chris Sheridan: "He basically put that in my mouth. Without saying it in so many words. He used that word [raise], I didn't even use that word. I don't even talk like that."

You're right. I don't. But if a max contract will pay him 22.6 million dollars a season, why would he settle for less? I agree with you that there's no way in hell Millsap gets around the MLE. He's gonna get at the very least 9 million a year.
As for Boozer's explanation of what he said, I'll give him the benefit of doubt for now. I believe most people won't, because of the Cleveland incident. Still, he could have just said that he was only gonna talk about it in the offseason. Just really bad timing.
My biggest concern is actually if it is worth paying Boozer probably around 5 million more than Sap, when Sap's production is not that far from Boozer's and those 5 million could be used to re-sigin Korver or another good FA.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 38

Post#38 » by Fido » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:59 am

Racer X wrote:Dont know if anyone has mentioned this but today on Locke's show Larry H Miller said that Boozer asked the Jazz for a trade 2 1/2 years ago, when the situation with his son Carmani first popped up, and predating Derek Fisher leaving the team. Thought that was interesting.

Also interesting was that Miller called Booz talking about next offseason right now "one of the top 10 stupidest things" he's ever heard from a NBA player. He is also concerned about the PR reaction from the fans because "that would be an issue".

That being said, Miller discussed the teams that might be available (letting the host fill in with bad things to say about the appropriate teams so he wouldn't get fined):
Oklahoma City Thunder
Memphis Grizzlies
**What would motivate someone to go to one of these destinations with all the empty seats and lack of success?

Portland Trail Blazers - $35,578,464 in 12 players. Does not count draft picks.
Detroit Pistons - $53,807,791 in 11 players. Does not count draft picks.
Atlanta Hawks - $40,865,197 in committed salary in 8 players. Does not count draft picks.
Minnesota Timberwolves - has $50,181,878 in committed salaries in 11 players. Does not count draft picks.
Miami Heat - Even without Marion, have $52,353,778 in committed salaries in 12 players. Does not account for next summer draft picks.

The point he is making here is many of these teams will have the room to offer him at least what he is making now--BUT they also have to fill out their teams and avoid the luxury tax. At most expect maybe 2 other teams to be seriously chasing Boozer in summer 2009. Also, eliminate any of the teams that do get Boozer from the summer of 2010 when LeBron and company hit free agency.

The market might be a bit tougher than he envisions.
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by schneiderjazz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:30 am

Also Portland has Aldridge, Hawks have Horford and Smith and Minny has Jefferson. Only teams I could see making offers for Boozer are the Heat, Pistons, Thunder and Grizzlies. Pistons just don't seem like they'll be able to put together a good enough offer.
IMO, the Heat will try to send Haslem somewhere to open up some cap space. Boozer has a home in Miami, they have Wade, they're a big market, so I'd say that they're the only team that has a chance of prying Boozer away from the Jazz.
My question is at what amount of money we let Boozer walk and keep Sap? Trading AK will give us money to sign both, but do we really need 25 million or more dollars at PF?
tankster
Junior

Post#40 » by tankster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:35 am

For anyone thats interested, the Trib now has a 2 page article out on Boozer's whole response. It sounds much different than the plattering of Chris Sheridan. Also answers a few of the questions some of you have been asking.

In addition, giving LHM the cedit due for the franchise he has put together that has provided us all with hours of exhilaration, he's gifted with spontaneous fits of irrationality that cause him to suffer the same hoof and mouth disease we all fall prey to at times. Sometimes he should just clam up. But as our owner, I'll extend him that right.

Return to Utah Jazz