2024 NBA Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#221 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:49 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Sarah Todd said the Jazz really like Kyshawn George and Reed Sheppard fwiw.

I think they'll have to trade up from 29 to get George.

I would draft George at 10. His body needs development but there is a lot of skill.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,033

Post#222 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Castle next to Keyonte is completely uninteresting as Castle's entire appeal is that he can play PG while being big enough not to be exploited by wings like Luka and Tatum.

If you put Keyonte out there, this benefit is completely nullified because those wings will just go after Keyonte.

Castle is way too slow and unathletic to ever be much of a scoring option, his whole appeal is playing PG.

He also has no shot in the NBA unless he becomes an elite elite shooter.

Any of Castle, Collier, Sheppard, Dillingham, or Topic is a soft giving up on Keyonte (which is fine as Keyonte has minimal upside).

In a vacuum, I get your arguments. However, when selecting with the 10th pick in this draft (or moving up a few spots using the later picks), and your potential choices are one or two of Castle, Williams, Holland, Buzelis or Salaun- who is most interesting?

Castle could defend all guards and wings and provide poa/perimeter defense that the Jazz are sorely lacking. He might end up being a decent shooter, as evidenced by his 18/25 from 3 at the combine. Keyonte might become a more efficient offensive player off the ball. It wouldn't be horrible having two decent sized playmakers/combo guards.

If not, the question becomes which wing/forward to choose and do they offer something that Hendricks and/or Markkanen don't already.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#223 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 23, 2024 9:56 pm

Catchall wrote:I think AJ Johnson is a 1st-rd level talent. I liken him to a Costco Kirkland brand version of Zach Lavine. He's not as long and explosive as Zach, but can do much of the same stuff.

Read on Twitter

If the Jazz don't go guard with #10, I wouldn't mind AJ being the 29th pick at all. There exists the possibility that he could end up being better than Keyonte.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 952

Post#224 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 23, 2024 10:33 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Castle next to Keyonte is completely uninteresting as Castle's entire appeal is that he can play PG while being big enough not to be exploited by wings like Luka and Tatum.

If you put Keyonte out there, this benefit is completely nullified because those wings will just go after Keyonte.

Castle is way too slow and unathletic to ever be much of a scoring option, his whole appeal is playing PG.

He also has no shot in the NBA unless he becomes an elite elite shooter.

Any of Castle, Collier, Sheppard, Dillingham, or Topic is a soft giving up on Keyonte (which is fine as Keyonte has minimal upside).

In a vacuum, I get your arguments. However, when selecting with the 10th pick in this draft (or moving up a few spots using the later picks), and your potential choices are one or two of Castle, Williams, Holland, Buzelis or Salaun- who is most interesting?

Castle could defend all guards and wings and provide poa/perimeter defense that the Jazz are sorely lacking. He might end up being a decent shooter, as evidenced by his 18/25 from 3 at the combine. Keyonte might become a more efficient offensive player off the ball. It wouldn't be horrible having two decent sized playmakers/combo guards.

If not, the question becomes which wing/forward to choose and do they offer something that Hendricks and/or Markkanen don't already.

Oh, I would absolutely pick Castle at 10, just to replace Keyonte.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,371

Post#225 » by Catchall » Fri May 24, 2024 2:34 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think AJ Johnson is a 1st-rd level talent. I liken him to a Costco Kirkland brand version of Zach Lavine. He's not as long and explosive as Zach, but can do much of the same stuff.

Read on Twitter

If the Jazz don't go guard with #10, I wouldn't mind AJ being the 29th pick at all. There exists the possibility that he could end up being better than Keyonte.

Realistically, I think he's a lighter version of Kevin Porter Jr., but with more brain cells.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#226 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 24, 2024 5:48 pm

Castle is refusing to work out with every lottery team with established PGs so that's every lottery team except the Spurs, Wizards, and Jazz because he wants to only play PG in the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#227 » by Catchall » Sat May 25, 2024 2:32 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Castle is refusing to work out with every lottery team with established PGs so that's every lottery team except the Spurs, Wizards, and Jazz because he wants to only play PG in the NBA.

That's what Givony is reporting. From Castle's perspective, the Jazz do already have Sexton and Keyonte. I'm thinking that Castle is just trying to freeze out a few teams and get to San Antonio.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#228 » by Catchall » Sat May 25, 2024 2:33 am

If rumors are true--e.g., Sheppard going top 6, Castle drawing interest from the Spurs, Carter going top 10, etc.--the Jazz have a shot of Topic, Williams and/or Knecht getting to #10.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#229 » by Catchall » Wed May 29, 2024 4:59 am

I think the Jazz are probably going to take a look at Kel'el Ware. They need a young center they believe in, and all things considered this isn't a bad draft to take a big. Ware has the physical tools to be a significant player. Mental tools? The jury may be out on that.

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#230 » by Catchall » Wed May 29, 2024 5:26 am

babyjax13 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Sarah Todd said the Jazz really like Kyshawn George and Reed Sheppard fwiw.

I would draft George at 10. His body needs development but there is a lot of skill.

I like him overall, but his inability to put pressure on the rim leads me to think he's going to get picked in the mid-late teens.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#231 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 29, 2024 6:49 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I like him overall, but his inability to put pressure on the rim leads me to think he's going to get picked in the mid-late teens.

Maybe. I think that teams probably have a good sense for what they can do from a physical development standpoint, and if their assessment is that his body can be improved and solve some of those issues that he will go higher (maybe higher than 10, I still have him #2 on my big board and don't envision having him lower than 4).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#232 » by Catchall » Wed May 29, 2024 5:12 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I would draft George at 10. His body needs development but there is a lot of skill.

Maybe. I think that teams probably have a good sense for what they can do from a physical development standpoint, and if their assessment is that his body can be improved and solve some of those issues that he will go higher (maybe higher than 10, I still have him #2 on my big board and don't envision having him lower than 4).

If he really develops physically, I get it. He could be like a Kyle Anderson who can actually shoot.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#233 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 30, 2024 7:32 pm

Catchall wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:If the Jazz don't go guard with #10, I wouldn't mind AJ being the 29th pick at all. There exists the possibility that he could end up being better than Keyonte.

Realistically, I think he's a lighter version of Kevin Porter Jr., but with more brain cells.

You might be right, but he could be essentially Kevin Porter Jr and still have the potential to end up better than Keyonte given KPJ and Keyonte's stats for their rookie years.

https://stathead.com/tiny/rXWlc

I'm not saying that the Jazz should draft him end of the first round, but I would consider him.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 198

Post#234 » by WinterSoldier » Thu May 30, 2024 10:13 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are probably going to take a look at Kel'el Ware. They need a young center they believe in, and all things considered this isn't a bad draft to take a big. Ware has the physical tools to be a significant player. Mental tools? The jury may be out on that.

Read on Twitter

I watched some breakdowns on him and he has moved to the top of my list at #10. His overall game reminds me of Jarrett Allen with a little more potential to hit 3's.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#235 » by Catchall » Fri May 31, 2024 12:05 am

WinterSoldier wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are probably going to take a look at Kel'el Ware. They need a young center they believe in, and all things considered this isn't a bad draft to take a big. Ware has the physical tools to be a significant player. Mental tools? The jury may be out on that.

Read on Twitter

I watched some breakdowns on him and he has moved to the top of my list at #10. His overall game reminds me of Jarrett Allen with a little more potential to hit 3's.

The question on Ware is how hard he works and if he's going to put in the effort to really improve, or if he's going to take his paycheck and laugh all the way to the bank. In terms of physical ability, there's no reason he can't be Myles Turner with even a bit more potential to self-create some offense.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#236 » by Catchall » Fri May 31, 2024 12:11 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

You might be right, but he could be essentially Kevin Porter Jr and still have the potential to end up better than Keyonte given KPJ and Keyonte's stats for their rookie years.

https://stathead.com/tiny/rXWlc

I'm not saying that the Jazz should draft him end of the first round, but I would consider him.

I don't think Keyonte George is really a lead guard right now. At least, I wouldn't think of him that way yet. Keyonte can score, and he's confident getting to his runner and floater, but he hasn't shown that he's an advantage creator in the way that you'd hope your lead guard is. He's more of a combo-guard, similar to Spencer Dinwiddie or Reggie Jackson. I think Ainge's comment about him being able to play next to a point guard reflects how the front office feels about him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 198

Post#237 » by WinterSoldier » Fri May 31, 2024 1:40 am

Catchall wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:

Read on Twitter

The question on Ware is how hard he works and if he's going to put in the effort to really improve, or if he's going to take his paycheck and laugh all the way to the bank. In terms of physical ability, there's no reason he can't be Myles Turner with even a bit more potential to self-create some offense.

He made a production jump from freshman to sophomore which gives me hope he wants to improve. What have you heard or seen that gives you doubt that he'll work hard?
Catchall
RealGM

Post#238 » by Catchall » Fri May 31, 2024 1:44 am

WinterSoldier wrote:
Catchall wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:

He made a production jump from freshman to sophomore which gives me hope he wants to improve. What have you heard or seen that gives you doubt that he'll work hard?

His reputation at Oregon was that he was lazy and maybe didn't like basketball that much.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1gNPZIronb8
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#239 » by Catchall » Fri May 31, 2024 1:46 am

I think the Jazz are going to try to trade up in this draft. It's too risky to just sit at #10, unless the Jazz are psyched about Knecht, Collier or Salaun.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#240 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 31, 2024 1:48 am

I like how David Locke watched Matas Buzelis and immediately had an existential crisis at how absolutely terrible this guy is.

Probably the most overrated prospect in a few decades and anyone who watches him at all immediately knows how bad he is.

Return to Utah Jazz