Boozer officially says he will opt out

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Re: Boozer officially says he will opt out 

Post#41 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:10 am

NEWJer-zNets wrote:As a Nets fan , I personally like this trade. What are the Jazz fan`s take on a trade like this?...

New Jersey Nets incoming: Shawn Marion, Dorell Wright, and Jarron Collins

Miami Heat incoming: Stromile Swift, Carlos Boozer, (Nets first rd. pick via GSW)

Utah Jazz incoming: Sean Williams, Vince Carter

Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to New Jersey, Miami, and Utah being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Jersey, Miami, and Utah had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

No way to Vince Carter. We are log-jammed at the 2-3 positions. And Vince Carter would play less than John Amaechi did. Because he is NOT a Sloan player, and is NOT a winner...much less so than Boozer has proven to be in the playoffs (2007 was a beast).
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#42 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:20 am

Now, about Boozer. He is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player. And a good one. That means he is a business man. And also a mercenary. We knew this when we pulled him away from Cleveland. That was a simple matter of Cleveland trying to cash in before Boozer became aware of his true market value, and proved what great business men we have running the Jazz, who are always competitive.

I dont mind Boozer telling everyone. It gives the Jazz time to maybe work out a scenario sooner. I just hope Boozer is willing to negotiate, and not say "Im looking elsewhere first." If that is the case, he is a good man. If not, he is a douchebag. We'll find out. I will say I dont think he'll play much, if at all. He doesnt want to risk anything, and we saw this from him when he tried to force the trade to the Lakers. He's just getting rich in the NBA. Who can blame him?
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,742

Post#43 » by CableKC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:32 am

I would much rather have Milsap at $6-8 mil a year ( or whatever you guys think he is worth ) for 4 seasons then pay the amount of $$$ that Boozer thinks he's worth....which I'm guessing is something starting at $15+ mil a year.

Boozer going down with whatever injury he had is a blessing in disguise.....the Jazz fans now know how good of a PF Milsap is. Let Riley overpay him next season.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
The Sheik
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#44 » by The Sheik » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Chris Sheridan from ESPN.com called this morning and left a message playing back a tape of Boozer's comments. It's pretty clear that Boozer is told the conversation is on the record, and Sheridan even asked him to repeat himself when he said he's opting out for sure. So there's the other side of things.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by HammerDunk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Given the holiday season and the fact that I want this team to succeed, I'm gonna ease up on Booz a bit and give him a chance to prove himself when he comes back. I feel bad that I've been pretty harsh, but I also really question his motives. I would like to see him, once he really is healthy, to give more effort and take a page out of Sap's book. The ball is in his court now, it's his time to prove himself to the fans.
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#46 » by Liqourish » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Fido wrote:Portland Trail Blazers - $35,578,464 in 12 players. Does not count draft picks.
Detroit Pistons - $53,807,791 in 11 players. Does not count draft picks.
Atlanta Hawks - $40,865,197 in committed salary in 8 players. Does not count draft picks.
Minnesota Timberwolves - has $50,181,878 in committed salaries in 11 players. Does not count draft picks.
Miami Heat - Even without Marion, have $52,353,778 in committed salaries in 12 players. Does not account for next summer draft picks.

The point he is making here is many of these teams will have the room to offer him at least what he is making now--BUT they also have to fill out their teams and avoid the luxury tax. At most expect maybe 2 other teams to be seriously chasing Boozer in summer 2009. Also, eliminate any of the teams that do get Boozer from the summer of 2010 when LeBron and company hit free agency.

The Pistons salary is off. Your numbers include Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess' contracts that got traded to Denver for Iversons expiring. If you remove Chauncey and Dice's contracts and included Maxiells extention for $5 million/yr, Pistons will have $38,919,248 locked up in 9 players with 4 draft picks in the upcoming draft, 3 of them second rounders that are not guaranteed contracts.

Detroit would have more than enough room to offer Boozer a max contract and still have room to sign players to fill out their roster. Whether they will go that route remains to be seen, but they shouldn't be counted out just yet.
tankster
Junior
And1: 3

Post#47 » by tankster » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:48 pm

The Sheik wrote:
Chris Sheridan from ESPN.com called this morning and left a message playing back a tape of Boozer's comments. It's pretty clear that Boozer is told the conversation is on the record, and Sheridan even asked him to repeat himself when he said he's opting out for sure. So there's the other side of things.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/

I'd personally like to hear the tape in it's entirety. Boozer never denied making the statement that he would opt out, and most of us, like his teammates, would take no exception to that. It's a foregone conclusion. The statement in question, and the part some object to, is the "raise" thing and the way it was embelished to make it sound even worse. I don't see any reference to it in Ross' comments. Carlos offered that he never said that. I believe him.

You're all getting an education in what the Sports Media is all about. I can almost hear the thing go down without being there.

C.S. Gonna opt out at the end of the season huh Carlos?
C.B. Yeah I suppose so.
C.S. In line for a big raise too huh?
C.B. Well I don't know about (interupted)
C.S. Aw come on now you're gonna stick it to em right?................You get the picture! These friggin reporters never quit. They love to create controversy. It's their job folks. They thrive on it. They're just glorified TABLOID HACKS.

Locke told LHM yesterday morning that to him, Boozer was a terrible interview. He said He could rarely get anything out of him. He was always so guarded in what he said. I believe he was pressured and pressured again and just got caught off guard. Blindsided if you will.

Some of you think Boozer is an ego trip a mile long. I've had the pleasure of watching Carlos since he was in grade school. Neither he nor his entire family has ever shown me any of that. His high school coach George Huston would probably agree. There's a video on the net taking a statement from coach K and he has nothing but good things to say about Boozer. How he is with his team mates, in the locker room etc.

There's a better than average chance you're being taken for a ride here folks. He's a good kid. Give him a chance. None of you ever put his foot in his mouth right?
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#48 » by Ming Kong! » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 am

On the Pistons board they are suggesting a Boozer for Hamilton trade. I actually like it, Hamilton will make $11,375,000 next, and that's the last year of his contract. Whether we keep him or not, we can make two nice runs. We could probably include Almond, and get Maxiel to back up Millsap, since obviously Boozer is worth more than Hamilton on the market.

Okur/Koufos/Fesenko
Millsap/Maxiel/Collins
Miles/Kirilenko/Harpring
Hamilton/Brewer/Korver
Williams/Knight/Price

With that team we'd blow teams out of water. :-D
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#49 » by The Sheik » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 am

RIP signed a 3yr extension.
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#50 » by JustinSane » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:35 am

Pistons fan here - great game btw. I think it's very likely that the Pistons will target Boozer or Millsap in the offseason. Millsap is younger and healthier, and if he keeps playing as well as he has been, he's likely to get a offer similar to what you originally got Boozer for I think. Which player do you think the team is more committed to keeping? And what is the maximum they'd be willing to pay for each?
lapassione
Rookie

Post#51 » by lapassione » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:34 am

its very possible for detroit to target okur, they wanted to keep him 5 years ago, jazz has outbid them
Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#52 » by Racer X » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlE54EX2Us

Here is Derons interview on the matter in case anyone missed it during last nights game. He seems genuinely unhappy that Boozer said that stuff.
gojazzmjsucks
Rookie

Post#53 » by gojazzmjsucks » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:17 am

Deron did not look very happy about it. Boozer might be playing his last games in Utah before the all star break!
tankster
Junior
And1: 3

Post#54 » by tankster » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Racer X wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlE54EX2Us

Here is Derons interview on the matter in case anyone missed it during last nights game. He seems genuinely unhappy that Boozer said that stuff.

Since DWill said it was nothing that he or the team didn't already know, it's just as likely that he was pissed at the reporter for pressing the issue trying to create controversy, (trying to get Deron to fuel the fire so to speak). Pro athletes get tired of the Media continually shoving a microphone in their face. And don't bother to tell me it comes with the territory. That doesn't make it enjoyable>
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#55 » by hoops4life » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:46 pm

My brother said on Christmas Eve that the radio stated Boozer was going to have surgery and will be out the rest of the season. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.

Has anybody else heard this?
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#56 » by The Sheik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Thats a lie. It would be all over the papers and the #1 topic of discussion here right now. Besides 1320 was running ESPN the whole day because they all got the day off.
JStockLivesOn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by JStockLivesOn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:51 pm

tankster wrote:
Racer X wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlE54EX2Us

Since DWill said it was nothing that he or the team didn't already know, it's just as likely that he was pissed at the reporter for pressing the issue trying to create controversy, (trying to get Deron to fuel the fire so to speak). Pro athletes get tired of the Media continually shoving a microphone in their face. And don't bother to tell me it comes with the territory. That doesn't make it enjoyable>

I highly doubt his anger was directed at the reporter. "He's a grown man, he can talk about whatever he wants" is pretty plain language.
"Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter."
hoops4life
General Manager

Post#58 » by hoops4life » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:49 am

It sounds like Thunder's big men might be available. I wouldn't mind making a play for Collison or Smith.

Return to Utah Jazz