Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#441 » by Wolverine » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Lonzo would be a real get but we would have to move more contracts to make it happe .

I think the most realistic scenario for this to happen would be if Conley leaves and we do a S&T with Bogey for Lonzo.

This is unrealistic as Conley has to approve a sign and trade, he's not going to want to go to NOLA
Wolverine
Bench Warmer

Post#442 » by Wolverine » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:06 am

Lockes sign and trade of Conley for Kuzma & KCP is interesting, we would have to make a further trade as we'd have too many wings.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#443 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:33 am

Wolverine wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
I think the most realistic scenario for this to happen would be if Conley leaves and we do a S&T with Bogey for Lonzo.

This is unrealistic as Conley has to approve a sign and trade, he's not going to want to go to NOLA

Right, which is why I said Conley leaves and the S&T is with Bogey.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer

Post#444 » by Wolverine » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:07 am

KqWIN wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

He's already signed?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#445 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:29 am

Wolverine wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

He's already signed?

We're not trading for Ball if Conley resigns. So the most realistic situation where Ball is in a Jazz uniform is if Conley walks, and we send Bogey in the S&T.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#446 » by tugs » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:46 am

I believe NOP is not matching offers for Ball. Conley has been instrumental but everything hinges if he wants to run it back one last time or go to a "sure thing" to finally win a chip. We've seen the pros and cons with a Conley-Mitchell backcourt and it's evident the lack of size overweighs the benefits. Not to mention injury concerns

Wouldn't mind gambling on Forrest full time and go all out with an elite small forward
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#447 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am

Here's why a sign and trade with Conley is near impossible:

1. The Jazz are about $8-$10M from the tax apron without Conley. That means they can only acquire $8-$10M back in any potential sign and trade.

2. This rules out any over the cap team unless they have a massive trade exception to absorb Conley. Main reason for S&T's are that the receiving team doesn't have cap space, but this trade requires cap space.

3. They must be a cap space team, but it would only make sense to do a S&T if they couldn't sign him outright. So they must have some, but not enough.

4. The player the Jazz receives must cover the difference, but assuming that player is a positive asset, there is no reason to give that to UTA for free as they could try to trade that player elsewhere and sign Conley outright. The incoming player for the Jazz must be unwanted or demanding his way out...an RFA makes most sense in theory.

5. Conley must want to sign with this team over all other options.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,831

Post#448 » by stitches » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:54 am

KqWIN wrote:Here's why a sign and trade with Conley is near impossible:

1. The Jazz are about $8-$10M from the tax apron without Conley. That means they can only acquire $8-$10M back in any potential sign and trade.

2. This rules out any over the cap team unless they have a massive trade exception to absorb Conley. Main reason for S&T's are that the receiving team doesn't have cap space, but this trade requires cap space.

3. They must be a cap space team, but it would only make sense to do a S&T if they couldn't sign him outright. So they must have some, but not enough.

4. The player the Jazz receives must cover the difference, but assuming that player is a positive asset, there is no reason to give that to UTA for free as they could try to trade that player elsewhere and sign Conley outright. The incoming player for the Jazz must be unwanted or demanding his way out...an RFA makes most sense in theory.

5. Conley must want to sign with this team over all other options.

We can always use a future asset to dump another player... like Favors and clear some more space :banghead:
tugs
RealGM

Post#449 » by tugs » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:39 pm

What are your thoughts on this:

Joe Ingles to Chicago for

Al-Farouq Aminu and Troy Brown Jr.?

Chicago gets a stabilizing presence off the bench that is crucial if they want to get over the hump, adds another shooter as well. Allows Coby White to shift to SG as well and can play shooter with Lavine or Satoransky

Utah gets that sure thing on Aminu as another capable wing defender and can play small ball C with range, but the real get here and prize is the swiss army knife, Troy Brown Jr. Long term he can be that 2/3 wingman that complements Utah's roster. Big fan of his game when he was tearing it up in DC
tugs
RealGM

Post#450 » by tugs » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Another one is Josh Richardson if he doesn't take his PO
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#451 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:19 pm

tugs wrote:What are your thoughts on this:

Chicago gets a stabilizing presence off the bench that is crucial if they want to get over the hump, adds another shooter as well. Allows Coby White to shift to SG as well and can play shooter with Lavine or Satoransky

Utah gets that sure thing on Aminu as another capable wing defender and can play small ball C with range, but the real get here and prize is the swiss army knife, Troy Brown Jr. Long term he can be that 2/3 wingman that complements Utah's roster. Big fan of his game when he was tearing it up in DC
Bit rich for my blood. Ingles has more value than this. I'd look at Thad Young from Chicago if I'm moving Joe. I think you could get Troy Brown in the trade as well by tossing in a small asset like a 2nd or Oni or something. But Ingles could actually help out the Bulls a fair bit if he was willing. Hasn't he said he doesn't really want to go somewhere else and that he'll retire when the jazz don't want him?
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#452 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Let's bring Jeremy Evans back. Played in Russia & Italy the last 2 years. He's 33, but still a helluva athlete, and has a respectable FIBA 3 point %, in the high 30's.

Ok, I'm (mostly) kidding, but he's that long, athletic type the Jazz need. ... Just ya'know, with an actual NBA game.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#453 » by TO11 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 am

If we can find a way to clear enough salary, maybe moving D. Favors and J. Clarkson then I think Lonzo Ball 3 year 56 Million would be legit
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,454

Post#454 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 am

Aminu sucks and Troy Brown Jr has not developed at all. Maybe if Chicago included a Coby White for 30 swap it could have legs.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#455 » by CAE15 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Aminu sucks and Troy Brown Jr has not developed at all. Maybe if Chicago included a Coby White for 30 swap it could have legs.
I had not considered Coby White in the slightest of young guards for us. But if they did make a play for like Lonzo then it could make sense for us to be a team to inquire about White if Conley leaves that is
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 777

Post#456 » by dr0welf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 pm

I would be willing to give Frank Ntilikina a try as backup PG. Not sure what his going market will be, but I don't think he was well used in New York.
tugs
RealGM

Post#457 » by tugs » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:07 am

Isaiah Hartenstein could be a younger Ersan replacement. But you know this time, he'll actually play
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#458 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 am

dr0welf wrote:I would be willing to give Frank Ntilikina a try as backup PG. Not sure what his going market will be, but I don't think he was well used in New York.
He's one of my most intriguing reclamation projects. Doubt he gets a QO from the Knicks so he should be a FA. Already has chemistry with Rudy and future FA signing Batum. Not to mention Don seems to be decent friends with him as well.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,315

Post#459 » by sip » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

CAE15 wrote:
dr0welf wrote:I would be willing to give Frank Ntilikina a try as backup PG. Not sure what his going market will be, but I don't think he was well used in New York.
He's one of my most intriguing reclamation projects. Doubt he gets a QO from the Knicks so he should be a FA. Already has chemistry with Rudy and future FA signing Batum. Not to mention Don seems to be decent friends with him as well.
The exact type of free agent we should be targeting. Long and athletic with lots of potential upside. I would also be looking at Dennis Smith Jr as a potential backup pg with the upside to maybe become the starter.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Gert42
Senior
And1: 215

Post#460 » by Gert42 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:33 am

I don't think DSJ is the type of guy I would want as a backup PG. As far as Frankie, is the idea of getting him if Conley leaves or if he stays?

Return to Utah Jazz