Who is Rudy Gobert? Will he be good?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Re: Who is Rudy Gobert? Will he be good? 

Post#41 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Really, his size and soft touch seem like a recipe for, at the VERY WORST, a decent backup center with the size to really disrupt other teams.

ummm....no. at the very worst, he's out of the league before his rookie contract is up.

Thank you, Sherlock.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#42 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 pm

you do understand what "at the very worst" means, do you?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#43 » by pickIBL » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
but i think there were plenty of prospects to chose from who were far better options than gobert, especially if we are expanding our view beyond a defensive C and look at all five positions.

I think along the same lines as this statement, but I am just not as certain as you. What I know is I've only seen tape on Gobert who clearly was playing around some selfish guards, and I did not see his workout with the Jazz. I'd have liked to be in the building for that one.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#44 » by outerspacefella » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Man, you just don't know Argentina. You can bet Ginobili considers himself an Argentinian and would be mad at anyone calling him as being from anywhwre else in the world.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:01 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
but i think there were plenty of prospects to chose from who were far better options than gobert, especially if we are expanding our view beyond a defensive C and look at all five positions.

I think along the same lines as this statement, but I am just not as certain as you. What I know is I've only seen tape on Gobert who clearly was playing around some selfish guards, and I did not see his workout with the Jazz. I'd have liked to be in the building for that one.

it's not that i'm certain gobert will be a bust. it's more that i'm certain that he has a very high bust potential. much higher than most.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
garlick77
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#46 » by garlick77 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:42 pm

we gave up a second... it was way worth it! I trust Dennis Lindsey on this one guys.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#47 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:you do understand what "at the very worst" means, do you?

No, probably not.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#48 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Neon Black wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:Knowing what we know now, would you guys have drafted Jeremy Evans at 27 of this year's draft?

Heckno Techno. But Gobert arguably has a lot more going for him than Evans did. There's a reason he was projected a first-rounder....I'm just assuming you're implying a comparison between Evan's freak athleticism and Gobert's insane size and length and suggesting that's not a great reason to draft a player....correct me if I'm off base.

Inigo Montoya wrote:
the point is - why not eliminate the uncertainty as much as possible? even if he's not a bust, we are talking backup role player here. so why not take a more ready, safer prospects who can help you right away instead of developing gobert for 3-4 years and hope he'll become a decent backup?

it's not about being a bust because he's not an allstar caliber prospect. but he's got a higher bust potential than most, and can be out of the league. if you'll be perfectly content with him turning out to be nothing more than a hard-working, efficient defensive spark plug - then why draft him with hopes he becomes that in a few years, instead of drafting someone who can be that right now?

I definitely see where you're coming from, but the simple fact is that the Jazz believe they saw something in him that gives him potential beyond a safe, backup role player. If you just listen to them talk about the kid, they are clearly infatuated and believe there's a chance he could be something special. I was simply positing MY opinion when saying that if he becomes nothing more than a solid, consistent, defensive spark plug that I personally won't be disappointed, because my expectations aren't that high. Jazz management, on the other hand, wasn't going for "safe" or "sure thing" with this pick. I don't know if I agree or not, because I simply don't know enough to have a valid opinion on his potential, but I can say that if the Jazz FO really believes Gobert has a chance at being something special that I'm glad they shoot for the stars now and again instead of playing it safe, even if it means missing sometimes.

Who knows...maybe Rudy will surprise us all. I can't help but wonder if he just had one really good workout with the Jazz where he looked much better than his usual self. If that's the case, maybe the front office is being short sighted and too easily swayed. Reminds me of how we picked up Ronnie Price just because he always played so well against us.

I agree with this completely. He clearly has some enticing tools, I think they're enough that he can stick in the league for quite a while without a dramatically high skill level. His mobility may look different in the NBA compared to the French league, but from highlight videos he seemed pretty nimble for someone who is 7-3. The soft hands, freakish length and defensive potential are all pretty obvious. At 27, I don't think you can call him a bust if he doesn't work out. I'm probably blinded a bit by optimism, but I wanted him early in the draft process and am excited that he will be playing for the Jazz.

JColl
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#49 » by pickIBL » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:30 pm

tony Mitchell would have been my pick, but I am not sold on him being a team guy willing to fill his niche at the 4 spot. And I'm not sold on what Gobert is going to bring... but I like the potential in both guys... my preference... and the guy the jazz took.

Somehow the Jazz draft was both aggressive and safe. they made the big move up for the top rated PG... however I'm not 100% sold that in a couple years that will definitely be the case... then they snuck in the bottom of the 1st and then again in the 2nd and didn't do anything that made me throw up in my mouth. Gobert is so unique I get what got them pumped up about him... and the good part is they don't have a lot invested in him. If their top selection pans out nobody is going to rake them over the coles for the gobert gamble.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#50 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 pm

well, maybe i got high standards, but i don't consider a draft where the jazz didn't make me throw up in my mouth to be a success. i expect more. and if anyone who was drafted after gobert will become a very good player (and i think there is a very high chance of that), the jazz just might get some angst pointed towards them.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#51 » by pickIBL » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:45 pm

yea I just don't see the pick blowing up in their faces. They need to find that number 1 guy offensively (likely a wing) next summer. That is what is going to make or break the franchise. Exum graduates in November and I keep hoping he decides to just play in Europe or the D-League so the Jazz can sneak in and take him 7th or 8th overall (he goes to North Carolina or Indiana and he could end up top 3 in 2015).

Next summers 1st rounder really matters... the Gobert pick is a smaller matter... even though you are right... a few of the 2nds will get an opportunity to play this coming year and they'll take advantage of it... Gobert really isn't at that stage.
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#52 » by Sabas11 » Mon Jul 1, 2013 6:49 pm

Gobert is excellent value at the end of the first round for the Jazz in my opinion. Wait until you see him live, standing a few feet next to you, and you'll realise this guy is almost impossible to shoot over. I mean he is so tall and with these arms he will block shots without even jumping.
While the other parts of his game are nothing to write about yet, he is young with an unreal body, wants to play in the NBA with no buyout issue and has the right mentality to develop.
Also projects from the French league taken in the mid first have a fairly good track record and tend to stick around and be useful (Parker, Batum, Diaw, Seraphin, Fournier, Beaubois, the only real bust being Ajinca, whose game and mentality is nothing like Gobert)
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#53 » by pickIBL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I agree, but that was not the point. The point is a lot of guys on draft day have a lot of developing left to do... and bigs are commonly late bloomers. I'm just saying you've got to project this guy out. He's definitely a hit or miss... but there are positives there.

It took 5 years in the league for Jermaine O'Neal to blow up out of HS. Favors is looking at what should be a big year from him in his 4th year after one year at GT. It took a long time for Tomic to get it together.

Let's all give Rudy a chance to develop. He should be a fun project for Karl Malone. I do hope he works with him. Rudy is a lot futher a long in physical development than Tomic was at 20 or 21.

my point is that even if he develops, then you got a nice defensive C off the bench. in a few years. why not draft a someone who you know can be one right off the bat, without all this speculation about how he may turn out if he develops? we are talking 20 mins a night backups here. i don't see the need to spend 3-4 years to develop such a guy if you can get someone who can be just as good right now, and has more skills.

#modshaming :D

So at this point the best jazz man outside of stockton and malone right?
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#54 » by @ndrew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Well, it shows just how little we know about future and development. I bought bitcoins in 2013 out of my curiousity, but no way I was looking at them with 10k value. This is the same with players development. So many factors are kicking in - injuries, mentality, development team, winning culture, so you can't really say in advance about draft picks.

BTW, have anyone seen Tomic?
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,075

Post#55 » by Rauxcee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:16 pm

:lol: Just goes to show fans generally don't know crap. My opinion at the time wasn't much better: I thought he be a great energy guy off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night.

Some hilarious takes here with the benefit of hindsight. :lol:

He ended up being our best center ever, and probably best player since Stockton and Malone.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#56 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

FWIW, I thought Rudy would end up being better than Alex Len.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#57 » by MalonesElbows » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Rauxcee wrote::lol: Just goes to show fans generally don't know crap. My opinion at the time wasn't much better: I thought he be a great energy guy off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night.

Some hilarious takes here with the benefit of hindsight. :lol:

He ended up being our best center ever, and probably best player since Stockton and Malone.

It's been too long to remember my original opinion, but I know it wasn't as bad as Indigo's. Those are some serious bad takes.Jeff Withey over Gobert :lol:
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#58 » by pickIBL » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:01 pm

@ndrew wrote:
BTW, have anyone seen Tomic?

Still chuggin along. Although he is now known as the euro dawkins, vanilla thunder, etc.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#59 » by babyjax13 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 am

Inigo and I were kinda mean back in the day, probably still are, lol.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#60 » by stitches » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 am

I don't think I was here at that time of the Rudy drafting, but please don't bump my opinions on DSJ and Skal! :oops:

Return to Utah Jazz