Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#21 » by stitches » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I'd make him a serious offer if we don't retain Hill.

How serious? What Hill is getting now? And how many years?

Hill is getting 8M per season, and will likely look for much more. If we can retain him at a fair price, then obviously we should do that. Teodosic is a year younger than Hill (29 and 30 respectively), so I wouldn't want to give a long-term deal to either. Maybe a 3 year, 30-36M to Hill at most, and around 3\27M to Teodosic? Need to give this more thought though, but just imagine our team with his passing.

His passing would be of little help with him on the bench because he can't stay on the floor due to his godawful D. I seriously was NOT kidding and was NOT exaggerating. His D is WORSE than Trey's. Noticeably so!

I wouldn't have too much against it if they give him 1+1 contract just to test just how much Rudy and Favs can cover for him, but I will be against giving him 3 guaranteed years at 9-10M... His passing will be exquisite, but again - I'm not sure he will be able to stay on the floor much to show it off.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#22 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:56 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:How serious? What Hill is getting now? And how many years?

Hill is getting 8M per season, and will likely look for much more. If we can retain him at a fair price, then obviously we should do that. Teodosic is a year younger than Hill (29 and 30 respectively), so I wouldn't want to give a long-term deal to either. Maybe a 3 year, 30-36M to Hill at most, and around 3\27M to Teodosic? Need to give this more thought though, but just imagine our team with his passing.

His passing would be of little help with him on the bench because he can't stay on the floor due to his godawful D. I seriously was NOT kidding and was NOT exaggerating. His D is WORSE than Trey's. Noticeably so!

I don't know if that's possible...

The problem with Trey wasn't only his bad defense, but also his bad offense. If Milos could create for others and score at non-Trey percentages, this team will be alright, I think. Also, it is worth mentioning that I'm discussing him as a 2nd PG, since I think we can agree the starting PG spot is designated to Exum. And from the bench, Teodosic' faults won't be so detrimental.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#23 » by stitches » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:03 pm

People forgot about this guy, but he seems to be getting more playing time now and showing some nice stuff. KqWIN asked about potential international players. He might still be an option with a late first:

UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#24 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 pm

I'll keep saying this but I rather have Neto than Teodosic.

Teo is too old, not good enough on D and will struggle to score against NBA level PG's night in a night out.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#25 » by Winglish » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:23 pm

stitches wrote:People forgot about this guy, but he seems to be getting more playing time now and showing some nice stuff. KqWIN asked about potential international players. He might still be an option with a late first:

He does seem to have a little Ronnie Price to his game.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#26 » by babyjax13 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:29 am

stitches wrote:People forgot about this guy, but he seems to be getting more playing time now and showing some nice stuff. KqWIN asked about potential international players. He might still be an option with a late first:

Still incredibly intriguing.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#27 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am

stitches wrote: I might give up Gobert for a top 5 pick.

:wavefinger: :curse: :no:
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45 am

I need pickIBL to highlight the best international prospects for the upcoming draft that no one talks about, so I'll know who to follow.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#29 » by stitches » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I need pickIBL to highlight the best international prospects for the upcoming draft that no one talks about, so I'll know who to follow.

pickIBL wrote:...

Hope he sees this.
stitches
RealGM

Post#30 » by stitches » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
stitches wrote: I might give up Gobert for a top 5 pick.

:wavefinger: :curse: :no:

Would you trade Gobert for Markelle Fultz?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:14 pm

stitches
RealGM

Post#32 » by stitches » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Milos' passing is sick...
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#33 » by MeestR » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:56 pm

GSW pick watch 2017:

if the draft were today, the Jazz would draft at 21, and 24. GSW hosts Mavericks tonight. GO MAVS!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#34 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 am

I'm loving what I am seeing from OG Anunoby right now. He has clearly put in a lot of work on his jumper. I really hope the jazz make an effort to draft him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#35 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:28 am

I also loved what I saw from Miles Bridges tonight. This is going to be a great draft to have 2 1sts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#36 » by stitches » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Watching tape of several games today. I will be sharing my opinions on what I see of the main prospects in this post. There will be lots of editing and additions to this post as I'm watching.

First game - Kentucky vs SFU

DeAaron Fox - WOW! He's super fast. Great defensive stance, quick feet on D. A bit out of control on the fast break. Another fast break - this time great pass to Gabriel for the alley oop. Another fast break - very quick but... again a bit out of control - travels on the attempted eurostep. Doesn't seem like his offensive game is very polished at all. Pulls up in semi-transition from 3... I'm not sure that's a good shot. Seems to be forcing it a bit. Attacks the closeout well... gets in the paint, good body control to finish at the rim. Nice pass to a cutter in half court... has nice first step, gets by his man, this time in control, hits a hard left handed floater. OK, that's better! You got my attention. Gets in the paint without a problem again, runs into defenders... out of control again. Hm... he will need to work on that. SECOND HALF - nice bounce pass to a cutter through traffic. Really nice burst in transition and good finish. What impresses me most right now is his speed and his passing - his passes are quick, strong and decisive, not soft like Dante's. Hits shooters on the perimeter right in their shooting pocket. Really nice! Splits two defenders(Dante doesn't have this type of handles and we need him to), nice alleyoop pass. Another great assist to a cutter, great vision and also showed off some handle. He's at 9 assists and it's the beginning of the second half. Great hands on D, strips opponent on a fast break. Behind the back pass on point to a shooter. He's chasing Wall's record(16) for most assists for Kentucky in his very first game. He's at 12 now, 7 more minutes to go. I wonder if Cal will pull him out in this blow out. He finished with 12/12/4/3stl

Bam Adebayo - Huge! Physical specimen. Second half - WOW! He's a freak(physically). Think Dwight Howard, think Drummond. I can not see him going out of the top 10 purely based on physical tools - 6'10'', 260 ALL MUSCLE! Freak athlete for his size(39.5'' max vertical at Kentucky pro-day). PFFFFF! Who would be the next GM letting him slip because he probably won't have the insane stats to back up a top 10 pick? I'd definitely pick him top 10 on tools and potential alone. Maybe even top 5? Need to watch him more. WOW! He moves so well on the perimeter! Doesn't seem to have much of a shot-blocking instinct. This might be a problem.

Malik Monk - Alec Burks disease? Passes up open 3 for a one dribble pullup 2. Monk has hops.

Wenyen Gabriel - interesting prospect, active movement on D, although a bit awkward... runs the floor well... good athleticism it seems. Oh, nice! He has a jumper, too. OK. I'm interested! Why is he not on the mock drafts? Real nice post defense... draws the foul. Hits another jumper at the other end. Seems a bit weak... has to gain some strength.

Briscoe - I don't like him. I can't really see him as a high-level NBA player(i.e. starter, or even high level rotation player). He's like a tank. No maneuverability, no wiggle, nothing. Bull in a china shop.

Summary: I loved Fox, absolutely loved him - started shaky, but as he settled his vision, passing and decision-making shined. His length on D is awesome. I can't imagine him falling past top 10(I'd go as far as to say he's probably better prospect than Dante was 2 years ago). Gabriel is interesting and it will be interesting to see how he develops through the year. If we didn't have great bigs, I'd be licking my chop at the prospect of Adebayo falling to us. I imagine his stats won't be impressive this year(think Drummond type), but he has monster potential in the league.
---------------------------------------------------

Second game - Pacific vs UCLA

Lonzo Ball - lol, his shot is ridiculous. Every time I see it I can't help but laugh. It falls though... He scored his first 3p shot for UCLA. Good anticipation on D, makes the steal. Ball another 3! And finishes an alley oop in transition. SWAG! And crisp passing. On the bad side - he doesn't seem to be in a stance on D. Seems a bit disinterested on that end. Damn, I like his unselfishness. I have a feeling I will be crushing over several PG prospects this year. Seems to be lackadaisical on D, but has nice instincts to interrupt the passing lanes. He's a big guard, I'm not sure his lateral quickness is great though. Sometimes looks good, sometimes not so much. Defensive fundamentals not too good. Oh wow, I didn't know he has this type of hops - one handed cocked back alley oop in transition. UCLA is on fire. They can be scary if they can shoot like that. I love his passing. This guy is running and passing ahead on the fast break. UCLA must have scored 20 points by him simply pushing the tempo and abusing early transition opportunities. Ball is going for triple double in his debut - 16/11/8 right now. 5 minutes to go. I love his offensive game. They took him out - 19pts, 11 ast, 8 rbs, 2stl... I want to see him against better opposition, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Comments?
stitches
RealGM

Post#37 » by stitches » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:30 pm

stitches wrote:Comments?

Your talents are wasted here, but we're happy to have you. Great job.

sipclip
Head Coach

Post#39 » by sipclip » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:51 pm

stitches wrote:Bam Adebayo - Huge! Physical specimen. Second half - WOW! He's a freak(physically). Think Dwight Howard, think Drummond. I can not see him going out of the top 10 purely based on physical tools - 6'10'', 260 ALL MUSCLE! Freak athlete for his size(39.5'' max vertical at Kentucky pro-day). PFFFFF! Who would be the next GM letting him slip because he probably won't have the insane stats to back up a top 10 pick? I'd definitely pick him top 10 on tools and potential alone. Maybe even top 5? Need to watch him more. WOW! He moves so well on the perimeter! Doesn't seem to have much of a shot-blocking instinct. This might be a problem.

When it is all said and done this kid should end up being a top 5 pick and possibly the number 1 pick in the draft. He is without a doubt the closest thing that I have seen to a young Dwight Howard from a physical perspective. The one thing that may drop his stock when it comes to college is that he is so strong that he is going to be difficult to officiate and pick up a ton of cheap fouls. That happened his last game where he picked up 4 fouls in 15 minutes and couldn't play his game.
stitches
RealGM

Post#40 » by stitches » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:36 pm

sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:Bam Adebayo - Huge! Physical specimen. Second half - WOW! He's a freak(physically). Think Dwight Howard, think Drummond. I can not see him going out of the top 10 purely based on physical tools - 6'10'', 260 ALL MUSCLE! Freak athlete for his size(39.5'' max vertical at Kentucky pro-day). PFFFFF! Who would be the next GM letting him slip because he probably won't have the insane stats to back up a top 10 pick? I'd definitely pick him top 10 on tools and potential alone. Maybe even top 5? Need to watch him more. WOW! He moves so well on the perimeter! Doesn't seem to have much of a shot-blocking instinct. This might be a problem.

When it is all said and done this kid should end up being a top 5 pick and possibly the number 1 pick in the draft. He is without a doubt the closest thing that I have seen to a young Dwight Howard from a physical perspective. The one thing that may drop his stock when it comes to college is that he is so strong that he is going to be difficult to officiate and pick up a ton of cheap fouls. That happened his last game where he picked up 4 fouls in 15 minutes and couldn't play his game.

Yeah, and most of those fouls were legal moves, but the refs didn't seem to know how to call them because of the sheer discrepancy between the physicality he was playing with and the rest of the players. I don't think he will have that problem in the NBA + there is coaching if it remains a problem when he transitions to the league.

Return to Utah Jazz