NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: NBA 2017 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#61 » by KqWIN » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:19 pm

stitches wrote:I'm taking back what I said about Frank Jackson... He's not really Wade Baldwin... this is a bad comparison. Seems much more shifty and creative offensively. On the other hand defensively he seems to fall asleep off-ball and doesn't seem to have Wade-Baldwinish length.

I haven't watched much NCAA basketball so far, but it seems like he's had a decent start. It's nice to see a local kid have some success. He's a very powerful athlete off of two feet and can definitely make some tough shots. Seems like a guy who can be a scorer off the bench.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#62 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:24 pm

This freshman class is absolutely ridiculous. Hands down the most talented I have ever seen by a wide margin. The crazy part is that we haven't even seen the top 3 duke freshmen this year and all 3 are likely lottery picks.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#63 » by stitches » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:41 pm

sipclip wrote:This freshman class is absolutely ridiculous. Hands down the most talented I have ever seen by a wide margin. The crazy part is that we haven't even seen the top 3 duke freshmen this year and all 3 are likely lottery picks.

Absolutely, I love so many players in this class... I don't know if I'd go as far as saying best class I've seen, but it's close. Another thing that's different is - the more I watch them the more I like most of them. I think my opinion on most of them has risen since the start of the year. Usually I start finding warts and blemishes... Hell even the sophomores and upperclassmen are kind of intriguing.

For example - you guys should check out Xavier PG Edmond Sumner, very intriguing late bloomer prospect.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#64 » by sipclip » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:05 pm

stitches wrote:Malik Monk has surpassed my expectations from before the season started. He seems to have a lot of skills modern SG should have and his shot seems much more reliable and smooth than expected(especially catch and shoot) and he already has NBA range. He's also playing MUCH MORE in control than expected. I love it!

Also De'Aaron Fox:

There are about 5 freshmen on Kentucky I love this season :)

Monk looks like a beast. He reminds me of a skinnier Eric Gordon pre injuries who was one hell of a player. This is definitely a draft where I love having 2 1sts because everywhere I look I see players that I would love to snag. My dream would obviously be to make the Favors trade with the nets to get that pick but if not I would try to trade the warriors pick along with a future pick to get into the late lottery or just after the lottery to go after one of Fox, Ball, Adebayo, Monk, OG Anunoby or Frank Jackson. Then with our pick take any of those guys if for some reason one of them drops and if none of them drops then my next 2 choices are Miles Bridges, Terrance Ferguson and Wenyen Gabriel.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#65 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Ya, this class is loaded. I'd love to get into the top 15 at the very least. Going to be hard to do though. I can't imagine there being a lot of movement from teams since everyone is going to have someone they'll want to take.

Wouldn't surprise me if teams like Minnesota and Washington look to move their picks for veterans though since they're wanting to win now. Guess we'll see.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
stitches
RealGM

Post#66 » by stitches » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Watching Baylor vs Michigan State - Miles Bridges looks clueless on D, especially in the post - SUPER soft, no resistance at all. That's worse than Lyles. MUCH WORSE!
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#67 » by AingesBurner » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Well if we traded for Fultz he would just back up Mack or a Mack caliber player.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#68 » by stitches » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:14 pm

GobertReport wrote:Well if we traded for Fultz he would just back up Mack or a Mack caliber player.

I'm willing to bet Fultz won't be a back up for anybody in the league, starting day 1.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#69 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Well if we traded for Fultz he would just back up Mack or a Mack caliber player.

I'm willing to bet Fultz won't be a back up for anybody in the league, starting day 1.

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#70 » by stitches » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:

Or do I underestimate Mack?
stitches
RealGM

Post#71 » by stitches » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:06 pm

Watching another UCLA game - they run and gun like crazy. They are the college version of the Warriors offensively. I love it. Ball has been very impressive this year. One might call him a revelation even. The playing style and personnel is helping him too - tons of shooters - they run to the corners on fast breaks and bomb 3s. I wonder if he'd be good for our system or if he'd be good enough to make Quin abandon our system and suit up for Ball-ball? The announcers compared him to Jason Kidd... that's an interesting comparison. Not sure I buy it and he's nowhere near as engaged on D, but offensively he's dropping dimes like Kidd - pin point passes, straight in the shooting pocket of both set shooters and shooters coming off screens. It's beautiful to watch really. He's averaging almost 10 assist a game in the first 8 games and he's shooting lights out. I was hoping we can somehow trade up to the early teens to draft him, but I don't think he'll last until the double digits... Both nbadraft and dx are projecting him top 5 right now and I can see why.

edit: Malik Monk breaks top 5 of the DX board too. Everybody I love jumping up the board.

edit2: watching Jonathan Isaac(FSU vs Temple) for the first time. LONG SF... Kevin Durant like. I wouldn't say he's as mobile and agile though. Maybe need to watch more, but very intriguing. Shoots the 3 very well, even off the dribble it seems. VERY GOOD passing skills and vision for the position. Seems like he doesn't know what he's doing on D(mainly off-ball), but seems to have good lateral quickness... He might have to play stretchy playmaking 4 rather than 3. Not sure how he'd fare against NBA quickness... Not sure how his athleticism is... hasn't wowed me yet... might be average'ish. Shot is pure! Shoots it off the dribble, off fakes, when set... I'm not sure if I'm catching him on a night he was hot, but his shot looks really good. Also, just made some dribble moves - handle is a bit loose but has potential.

There is a guy on Temple - Quinton Rose, 6'8'' SF... 18 years old. Pops when watching. Very quick and skillful, a bit skinny though... Trying to dunk on people... I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some draft hype at some point this year. Right now he's nowhere on the draft radar.

edit3: I have no idea how I'm gonna be ranking this class come June. I have about 10-12 players I think might be worth top 5 pick. Bam Adebayo is not just huge and athletic. He can pass! Maybe not like Marc Gasol, but he does pass well...

Malik Monk is quickly turning into one of my favourite players in this draft:

Oh, and Fox had a triple double in that game... sure, why not?
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#72 » by sipclip » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:31 am

Ball is unreal as a pure pg. The best that we have seen come out of the draft since Chris Paul in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#73 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:51 am

Fultz and Ball both look incredible.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#74 » by stitches » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:39 pm

New mock draft by DX:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

-Dennis Smith Jr is up to no. 2
-Lonzo Ball no. 4 and Malik Monk no. 5,Josh Jackson no. 3. Great! Most of my faves are out of reach now.
-Bam has dropped to no. 15. I have no idea why, I've liked what I've seen from him thus far. I'd trade both our picks to get to 15 and take him.
-Lauri is up to no. 8. His offensive arsenal is ridiculous, I honestly think he's Porzingis+ skill-wise. His D is not as good though.
-Harry Giles down to 13. WOW! WTF is happening? They must have some bad news about his injuries to drop him that far down? WOW!
-
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#75 » by sipclip » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:58 am

Luke Kennard for Duke hasn't gotten any hype but I love what I have seen from. The fact that he isn't a great athlete seems to be holding him back from getting a lot of hype but I think he is going to be a really good nba player. He is a player that I wouldn't mind snagging with the warriors pick.

stitches
RealGM

Post#76 » by stitches » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:11 am

sipclip wrote:Luke Kennard for Duke hasn't gotten any hype but I love what I have seen from. The fact that he isn't a great athlete seems to be holding him back from getting a lot of hype but I think he is going to be a really good nba player. He is a player that I wouldn't mind snagging with the warriors pick.

What type of player do you see him as? I'm having hard time imagining his role in an NBA team besides being a spot up shooter. Can he run through screens ala JJ Ridick? I'm not sure he has the quickness to do it...
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#77 » by sipclip » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:20 am

I actually think Jeff Hornacek is a great comparison for him. He is much more skilled at creating his own shot and attacking the basket than Redick in my opinion.

stitches
RealGM

Post#78 » by stitches » Wed Dec 7, 2016 7:40 pm

sipclip wrote:I actually think Jeff Hornacek is a great comparison for him. He is much more skilled at creating his own shot and attacking the basket than Redick in my opinion.

I read somebody comparing him to Hayward. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there + he's not as tall and long.

BTW Tatum looks REALLY smooth offensively. Damn...
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#79 » by KqWIN » Wed Dec 7, 2016 8:34 pm

There's something funky about Kennard's shot. I don't know if it's because a lefty or what, but it's almost like he's sneaking it over the defender. I don't see Hayward or Redick in him...but I could see him having a Randy Foye type career in the NBA. Not sure he's going to be able to shoot over guys in the NBA.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#80 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:06 am

stitches wrote:
sipclip wrote:I actually think Jeff Hornacek is a great comparison for him. He is much more skilled at creating his own shot and attacking the basket than Redick in my opinion.

I read somebody comparing him to Hayward. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there + he's not as tall and long.

BTW Tatum looks REALLY smooth offensively. Damn...

I've been super impressed by Tatum. If he somehow gets to the 10th pick range I'd go after him. Would still probably cost you too much but man... he's a beast.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.

Return to Utah Jazz