Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2016-2017 

Post#941 » by sipclip » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 am

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Would you trade Favs, JJ, and our pick next year for Tristan Thompson and the Brooklyn pick?

This would also allow the Cavs to have a lot of money next offseason to play with and grab another free agent. It also gives the Cavs a better starting lineup and depth with JJ/Favs. Seems like a rotation of IT, Shump, Smith, Bron, Crowder, Love, JJ, and Favs could give the Cavs a real chance against the Warriors. Having Crowder and JJ the whole game against Durant would help LeBron a ton. And Favs is mobile enough that he can at least make Dray work.

For Utah it's all about the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

That's a horrible trade for CLE. Yikes!

That's pretty good because TT sucks bro.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

No it's not. That is an awful trade for the cavs if you believe that nets pick will be top 5. There is also way too much salary going back to the cavs.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#942 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 am

sipclip wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
That's a horrible trade for CLE. Yikes!

That's pretty good because TT sucks bro.

No it's not. That is an awful trade for the cavs if you believe that nets pick will be top 5. There is also way too much salary going back to the cavs.

Tristan and Tavares works for Favs and JJ in the trade machine.

Everyone keeps saying it sucks(it might), but I'd love to see what package you can put together another team might offer that gives the Cavs a big wing to help guard Durant, a quality Center, a pick probably about 10 spots back from the Brooklyn pick, and the flexibility to sign or let go players next season.

Even some of the other guys like Thabo who we signed could become part of a deal to help make it happen.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#943 » by stitches » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 am

This is insanity! WOW! I officially don't know **** about basketball. I have no idea how the Cavs got this return for Kyrie. I didn't expect this. Nowhere close to it in fact. Great return for the Cavs both for competing this year(I think they actually got better for this year!!!!) and better for the future obviously with the BKN pick. Amazing trade for the Cavs! This Koby Altman kid starts off his career in an amazing fashion! WOW!

I get it for Boston, but I don't think that's a good trade for them. I think they got worse for this year and in order to get better in the future they need Kyrie to re-sign and the pick to not turn into a all-star type of player. I guess they see their chance for competing in the next couple of years and are willing to pull the trigger. Still a ton to give up.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#944 » by tleikheen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 am

I think Boston did OK on this trade because they opened up PT for Brown and Tatum who can make all criticism of this trade look stupid really quick.You cannot go on last years statistics to base your opinions.This trade landed a stud at PG and opened up PT for two players that both have more talent than Crowder has everyday of the week

Both IT and Irving are magnificent ball players ,Crowder is a major overachiever ,but PT for Brown and Tatum can make fans in Boston quickly forget Crowder .Take the talent 1st.
stitches
RealGM

Post#945 » by stitches » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 am

GobertReport wrote:If IT stays healthy then Cleveland wins this trade, IT is a much better teammate than Kyrie, wonder what Haywood is thinking?

Wasn't IT one of the main parts of Boston's pitch to Hayward on his visit? I think IT even had his wife there for a double date with the Haywards and Robyn and IT's wives spent time together when Gordon went in for the basketball part of their pitch.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#946 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:If IT stays healthy then Cleveland wins this trade, IT is a much better teammate than Kyrie, wonder what Haywood is thinking?

Wasn't IT one of the main parts of Boston's pitch to Hayward on his visit? I think IT even had his wife there for a double date with the Haywards and Robyn and IT's wives spent time together when Gordon went in for the basketball part of their pitch.

Yep you are correct, so now you wonder if Hayward gave his blessing on this trade.

Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#947 » by stitches » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Rudy's a coldblooded killer:

stitches
RealGM

Post#948 » by stitches » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Rudy's a coldblooded killer:

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#949 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't think either team really did themselves any favors here.

I think IT may be the most overrated player in the entire league. He's in the Kanter category, where his D is so bad that it pretty much cancels out anything he can do on offense. I also think he's Jeremy-Lin-like, in which he's had a couple good years statistically, but will fade quickly. He's also coming off an injury & will want more $$$ than he's worth at the end of his contract. Cleveland also swapped one ball dominant PG, who was malcontent playing next to the best baller on the planet, and got another ball dominant shooting PG, but one who isn't as good. Crowder is a nice grab, and should be happy to play with LBJ, can do the dirty work, give LeBron some relief so he doesn't have to always defend the opposition's best player, etc.. The pick is a good one, no doubt, but since IT is the centerpiece of the deal for CLE, I don't like it for them that much. And if LBJ leaves, are they really going to build a team around Thomas? Yuck! (They do save huge luxury payments though, so I guess that's something.)

The Celtics get an upgrade at PG, without question, but give up Crowder & a high draft pick to do it (+ a young big). That's a steep price. I think the thing that makes me laugh is that they've now brought in 2 players (Kyrie & Haywood) who both totally sold their old teams out... then got rid of IT, who loved & embraced the C's, plus Crowder, who played his a** off every night. Apparently character & loyalty are no longer words that mean much to that franchise. But at least Haywood can officially rest assured he can slink into the shadows as a #2 option now, so I'm sure he's thrilled.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#950 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 pm

stitches wrote:Rudy's a coldblooded killer:

I don't speak emoji. Translation?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#951 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm

The opening game of the 2017-18 NBA season is Celtics at Cavaliers on Tuesday, October 17th. Lots of interesting story lines there. I will be tuning in to watch on TNT.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#952 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm

I came here just to shower love on the NBA's version of Regina George :lol:

This is right up there with him trolling Fournier last year for having a flat 2k face.. Gobert is the best
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#953 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I don't speak emoji. Translation?

Heat - 3 trophies
Celtics - 17 trophies
Jazz - appears to be a baby flipping the double bird

Isaiah sent that in response to Rudy's tweet when recruiting Hayward, which was:

Heat - trash
Celtics - trash
Jazz - trophy

Now that Isaiah has been traded from the Celtics, Rudy retweeted him like the stone cold killer he is
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#954 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

FNQ wrote:Heat - 3 trophies
Celtics - 17 trophies
Jazz - appears to be a baby flipping the double bird

Isaiah sent that in response to Rudy's tweet when recruiting Hayward, which was:

Heat - trash
Celtics - trash
Jazz - trophy

Now that Isaiah has been traded from the Celtics, Rudy retweeted him like the stone cold killer he is

You, sir, are a true scholar. And 1 for you.

Very nicely put and explained. I think I'll make you my go-to guy for millennial interpretations.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#955 » by stitches » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20434277/how-much-does-kyrie-irving-isaiah-thomas-trade-shake-east-standings-nba

Projections before->>after the trade by Pelton:
Cavs: 49.2 wins ->> 53.7 wins (first in the East).
Celtics: 49.7 wins ->> 43.8 wins (fifth in the East).
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#956 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 pm

stitches wrote:http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20434277/how-much-does-kyrie-irving-isaiah-thomas-trade-shake-east-standings-nba

LMFAO at Hayward and his love letter to Boston if this is true, Jazz would have been 5th or higher with him this coming season but now he gets to look like a daft SOB.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#957 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

stitches wrote:http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20434277/how-much-does-kyrie-irving-isaiah-thomas-trade-shake-east-standings-nba

Thanks for this. I have a hard time believing the Celtics will be 5th in the East, but still the Cavs not only won for this season (IT and Crowder), but for the future got Zizic, the Nets pick (unprotected) and save tens of millions in tax. It is hard to believe that the Celtics couldn't have pulled off this trade for less (such as their own pick, protect the Nets pick, not thrown in Zizic, etc.).
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#958 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Hayward has to be thinking about the chance Ainge trades him at the drop of a hat. Ainge has shown no mercy in his trades. It is great for the organization, and I applaud his brass balls to trade away players, but at some point it will come back to bite him in the ass. Or, players who go there via free agency will demand a no trade clause. I would have demanded that if I was Hayward.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#959 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Hayward has to be thinking about the chance Ainge trades him at the drop of a hat. Ainge has shown no mercy in his trades. It is great for the organization, and I applaud his brass balls to trade away players, but at some point it will come back to bite him in the ass. Or, players who go there via free agency will demand a no trade clause. I would have demanded that if I was Hayward.

I think that Hayward thought he was Brad's BAE and he won't be traded but I would be willing to bet that the minute Griffin becomes available or another young big becomes available that Hayward is gone.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#960 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Took a trip around the other team's forums. Almost everyone seems to think it was a better trade for Cleveland or at worst a tie. ... except Boston's site, which somehow seem to think they are now poised to be the Greatest team of all time (ok, that's an exaggeration on my part). Personally, I still think it's a ho-hum deal that didn't do any good for either side for the time being.

One funny comment I did see was a Boston fan bringing up the question, Who's team is this now, Kyrie or Haywood? I stopped myself from choking & refrained from the obvious comment about Haywood wanting nothing to do with being the Alpha on a team, while Kyrie is begging to be the man. What a dumb question.

Return to Utah Jazz