The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#341 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:17 pm

stitches wrote:The thing that bothers me to no end is that we had the best scenario and case to do a targeted one year tank. We just lost our 2 best offensive players and had a rookie with ton of potential and a star entering the first year of a 4 year contract. This is the absolute perfect moment for a targeted tank - while we had 4 years on Gobert's contract. We had enough time to get the future offensive superstar, develop him and get him to a place where playing with him and possibly Mitchell(if he pans out) would be enticing enough for Gobert to resign when the time comes.

Yep. Preaching to the choir.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#342 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:19 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:The thing that bothers me to no end is that we had the best scenario and case to do a targeted one year tank. We just lost our 2 best offensive players and had a rookie with ton of potential and a star entering the first year of a 4 year contract. This is the absolute perfect moment for a targeted tank - while we had 4 years on Gobert's contract. We had enough time to get the future offensive superstar, develop him and get him to a place where playing with him and possibly Mitchell(if he pans out) would be enticing enough for Gobert to resign when the time comes.

Oh, also... we have a draft with one of the best and most polished offensive wings coming into the draft in the last 5 years... + Porter who will be a mismatch on the next level even in the modern game. It was like the perfect storm ... draft with great offensive prospects at the top, major pieces locked into long-term contract... other pieces - not good enough to contend... Just the perfect scenario to tank.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#343 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:21 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Oh, also... we have a draft with one of the best and most polished offensive wings coming into the draft in the last 5 years... + Porter who will be a mismatch on the next level even in the modern game.

Man, it did not take long for this season to suck. Not long at all. :noway:

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#344 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:30 pm

I don’t know why you guys are so upset.

Isn’t it fun to watch players bypass their strengths in favor of things they are bad at. There’s nothing more fun than watching the best players on your team undermine each other.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#345 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:31 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we just trudge with mediocre teams until the lottery reform goes into effect, and then continue to churn out mediocre teams because they could sell the fanbase that with the rule changes there is no reason not to do it.

The thing that bothers me to no end is that we had the best scenario and case to do a targeted one year tank. We just lost our 2 best offensive players and had a rookie with ton of potential and a star entering the first year of a 4 year contract. This is the absolute perfect moment for a targeted tank - while we had 4 years on Gobert's contract. We had enough time to get the future offensive superstar, develop him and get him to a place where playing with him and possibly Mitchell(if he pans out) would be enticing enough for Gobert to resign when the time comes.

It is not too late. We easily could tank the hell out of this season. I don't think we are making the playoffs even if we try to. Might as well capitalize on this draft. Trade Favs, JJ, Hood, Thabo, Jerebko. Get at minimum two first round draft picks and hopefully a few second round draft picks. I don't even care if they are mid to late first round draft picks. Our two good players were found late in the lotto/first round. We just need more odds of finding another quality player. If we had the 8th, 17th, and 27th pick in this draft I would consider the tanking a success.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#346 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:35 pm

Can't even enjoy watching Rubio this season, who would have thunk it? I was hoping that even if we'll be an average-ish or even a not very good team, at least I could enjoy watching him play, pass and run the offense. Nope. Our system killed that too.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#347 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:38 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:It is not too late. We easily could tank the hell out of this season. I don't think we are making the playoffs even if we try to. Might as well capitalize on this draft. Trade Favs, JJ, Hood, Thabo, Jerebko. Get at minimum two first round draft picks and hopefully a few second round draft picks. I don't even care if they are mid to late first round draft picks. Our two good players were found late in the lotto/first round. We just need more odds of finding another quality player. If we had the 8th, 17th, and 27th pick in this draft I would consider the tanking a success.

Yeah, that's probably not happening. This is why you go all-in and tank the right way instead of shifting to tanking during the season. If you tank, do it for the #1 pick, not the 8th.

stitches
RealGM

Post#348 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:43 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:It is not too late. We easily could tank the hell out of this season. I don't think we are making the playoffs even if we try to. Might as well capitalize on this draft. Trade Favs, JJ, Hood, Thabo, Jerebko. Get at minimum two first round draft picks and hopefully a few second round draft picks. I don't even care if they are mid to late first round draft picks. Our two good players were found late in the lotto/first round. We just need more odds of finding another quality player. If we had the 8th, 17th, and 27th pick in this draft I would consider the tanking a success.

Yeah, that's probably not happening. This is why you go all-in and tank the right way instead of shifting to tanking during the season. If you tank, do it for the #1 pick, not the 8th.

Exactly. You either tank for no. 1 from the start or you are incompetent fool who tried to compete but was too bad at your job to realize just how bad you are(the PHX and SAC and MIN and NOP of the last 10 years). This is the worst type of tank - the type that depreciates the value of your players while trying to win and then tanking your way to a 7-8 spot that gives you the second-third thier of prospects instead of the creme of the crop. In one case you collect assets for the good/not great players that are not part of your future before actually being bad and before their value plummets. In the other case you put the Favors' and Rubios and Hoods of the world in position to fail in the process of which they lose a ton of value because they are not playing well and you still don't get the top prospect you need.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#349 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I agree it's not probably happening. But it should.

Scenario #1. The Jazz try their hardest and miss the playoffs and Favs walks. Hood might get a large offer for a contract. And we have the 12th pick.

Scenario #2. We trade away all the guys I mentioned and walk away with 2 extra first round draft picks. And we increase our standing and get a pick in the 6-10 range.

It is easy for me to pick what I want to happen. Plus I can enjoy DM develop when I know there is a long term possible positive outcome.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#350 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:45 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Exactly. You either tank for no. 1 from the start or you are incompetent fool who tried to compete but was too bad at your job to realize just how bad you are(the PHX and SAC and MIN and NOP of the last 10 years). This is the worst type of tank - the type that depreciates the value of your players while trying to win and then tanking your way to a 7-8 spot that gives you the second-third thier of prospects instead of the creme of the crop. In one case you collect assets for the good/not great players that are not part of your future before actually being bad and before their value plummets. In the other case you put the Favors' and Rubios and Hoods of the world in position to fail in the process of which they lose a ton of value because they are not playing well and you still don't get the top prospect you need.

Again, I don't disagree. It is a reality we are now facing though. Continue to suck just because we suck. Or at least extract as much value going forward. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. Again, I also agree it won't happen.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#351 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:48 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I agree it's not probably happening. But it should.

Scenario #1. The Jazz try their hardest and miss the playoffs and Favs walks. Hood might get a large offer for a contract. And we have the 12th pick.

Scenario #2. We trade away all the guys I mentioned and walk away with 2 extra first round draft picks. And we increase our standing and get a pick in the 6-10 range.

It is easy for me to pick what I want to happen. Plus I can enjoy DM develop when I know there is a long term possible positive outcome.

I would trade pretty much everyone except Rubio, DM, Exum, Ingles, and Gobert, I would like to see what Rubio-DM-Ingles-??-Gobert could do.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#352 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:50 pm

GobertReport wrote:
I would trade pretty much everyone except Rubio, DM, Exum, Ingles, and Gobert, I would like to see what Rubio-DM-Ingles-??-Gobert could do.

What do you see in Rubio and Ingles that make you think they are integral part of the future of this team? Rubio can't run PnR with Gobert and if he can't do that, what good is he for this team?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#353 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:53 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

What do you see in Rubio and Ingles that make you think they are integral part of the future of this team? Rubio can't run PnR with Gobert and if he can't do that, what good is he for this team?

If you can fix his shooting through out the season then you have a good player and if not you have a trade asset next summer. Ingles is a good glue guy and he's tough, this team needs more tough/enforcer, take no **** players on the roster.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#354 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:54 pm

The reality is... we are ****! The moment Hayward left we were majorly ****. This whole iteration of the team got wasted the moment we lost Hayward and DL or the Millers didn't want to recognize that. Now we are on a path of perennial mediocrity with quite possibly the most painful offense to watch in the league.
stitches
RealGM

Post#355 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:58 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

If you can fix his shooting through out the season then you have a good player and if not you have a trade asset next summer. Ingles is a good glue guy and he's tough, this team needs more tough/enforcer, take no **** players on the roster.

You can buy enforcer types on the free agency market. Dahntay Jones is available any day of the week if you need him. We need high end talent not enforcers right now. About Rubio - yeah... about that... no way that happens.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#356 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:59 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Can't even enjoy watching Rubio this season, who would have thunk it? I was hoping that even if we'll be an average-ish or even a not very good team, at least I could enjoy watching him play, pass and run the offense. Nope. Our system killed that too.

Nah, Rubios world class passing was never fun to watch. Why use his passing ability when you can have him be a faux George Hill and hoist up jumpers all game.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#357 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:01 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:What do you see in Rubio and Ingles that make you think they are integral part of the future of this team? Rubio can't run PnR with Gobert and if he can't do that, what good is he for this team?

You can buy enforcer types on the free agency market. Dahntay Jones is available any day of the week if you need him. We need high end talent not enforcers right now. About Rubio - yeah... about that... no way that happens.

But they are no where as talented as Ingles so why not just keep the guy? Again his veteran presence is still needed. People said the same thing about Jason Kidd.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#358 » by stitches » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:03 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

But they are no where as talented as Ingles so why not just keep the guy? Again his veteran presence is still needed. People said the same thing about Jason Kidd.

Because he helps you win games you don't need to be winning. And because he still might be worth something... unlike in 2 years time... when he will be the an albatross.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#359 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:21 pm

Not sure what to do here. If an off-topic thread discusses things that are on-topic (i.e. basketball) on the rest of the board, does it make those basketball things off-topic in the off-topic thread?

Whatever, let's just move this discussion to any other thread you want.

Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#360 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 7:11 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I personally only see Gobert and DM being crucial. I would keep Neto as he is friends with Gobert. And I would only trade Ingles if a killer offer came along. Anyone else is an easy trade.

Return to Utah Jazz