The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, DelaneyRudd, FJS

UtahJazzFan88
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,732
And1: 2,545
Joined: Mar 21, 2011
Location: Utah
   

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#521 » by UtahJazzFan88 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:21 am

Al Jefferson has signed with the BIG3 league for the 2019 season.

Wonder if BIG3 will come to Vivint Smart Home Arena this year? They haven't stopped in SLC the first 2 seasons and SLC is a good basketball market.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#522 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:33 pm

I encourage everyone to read this. I am also posting the tweet to the story because the responses are very telling.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
total1096
Ballboy
Posts: 42
And1: 33
Joined: Apr 21, 2018

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#523 » by total1096 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:48 pm

Very interesting read. Applaud Kyle for his desire to help solve a very difficult issue. Don't agree with all of his premises but if only we could learn to love and respect all of our fellow men and women.
dr0welf
Analyst
Posts: 3,309
And1: 639
Joined: Jun 16, 2007
     

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#524 » by dr0welf » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:36 am

Racism of any kind is not acceptable and should never be tolerated. That being said if we are truely having a discussion about racism, it needs to be understood racism exists on all sides of the aisle. People with white skin are not the only ones that have part of that demographic that is racist. I have seen it from all origins and they all sicken me.

I wouldn't vote for a president because of his skin color but by what he represents and if I feel he/she is the best to do the job. The fact that 75% of the league is of color and no one is complaining means we (as a fan base) know that the best players are in the league and they have earned those spots. Let's reverse the situation, If 75% of the league were white, or hispanic, or asian even though they were the best players would that be an issue? Neither should be an issue as long as we are getting the best players so we can enjoy solid basketball.

All hate of all kinds just needs to stop, Respect man!
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 15,778
And1: 4,175
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#525 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:42 am

dr0welf wrote:Racism of any kind is not acceptable and should never be tolerated. That being said if we are truely having a discussion about racism, it needs to be understood racism exists on all sides of the aisle. People with white skin are not the only ones that have part of that demographic that is racist. I have seen it from all origins and they all sicken me.

I wouldn't vote for a president because of his skin color but by what he represents and if I feel he/she is the best to do the job. The fact that 75% of the league is of color and no one is complaining means we (as a fan base) know that the best players are in the league and they have earned those spots. Let's reverse the situation, If 75% of the league were white, or hispanic, or asian even though they were the best players would that be an issue? Neither should be an issue as long as we are getting the best players so we can enjoy solid basketball.

All hate of all kinds just needs to stop, Respect man!


I don't see how you disagree with Korver's point at all. He's saying that racism is bad and black people are more likely to experience it than white people - and that there are a lot of historical factors influencing that which we need to be cognizant of.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dr0welf
Analyst
Posts: 3,309
And1: 639
Joined: Jun 16, 2007
     

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#526 » by dr0welf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:11 am

babyjax13 wrote:
dr0welf wrote:Racism of any kind is not acceptable and should never be tolerated. That being said if we are truely having a discussion about racism, it needs to be understood racism exists on all sides of the aisle. People with white skin are not the only ones that have part of that demographic that is racist. I have seen it from all origins and they all sicken me.

I wouldn't vote for a president because of his skin color but by what he represents and if I feel he/she is the best to do the job. The fact that 75% of the league is of color and no one is complaining means we (as a fan base) know that the best players are in the league and they have earned those spots. Let's reverse the situation, If 75% of the league were white, or hispanic, or asian even though they were the best players would that be an issue? Neither should be an issue as long as we are getting the best players so we can enjoy solid basketball.

All hate of all kinds just needs to stop, Respect man!


I don't see how you disagree with Korver's point at all. He's saying that racism is bad and black people are more likely to experience it than white people - and that there are a lot of historical factors influencing that which we need to be cognizant of.


I wasn't saying I disagree at all with what Korver was saying. I'm just saying the issue comes off as a white problem and it really is a people problem. This used to be a white problem and because of the persecution those of color have had to endure it has caused hatred in some towards other races. I see it as a problem we all need to recognize and deal with. We just need to Shut the Hate and bring respect in all aspects.
Freakyman
Ballboy
Posts: 23
And1: 18
Joined: May 13, 2018
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#527 » by Freakyman » Wed May 1, 2019 10:04 pm

GobertReport
RealGM
Posts: 10,407
And1: 2,173
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
   

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#528 » by GobertReport » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey guys just a reminder I work at Murdock Hyundai in Logan, if you need a new or pre-owned car let me know and I’ll hook you up!
The artist formally known as Underkanter.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#529 » by KqWIN » Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Don't know how many of you guys are gamers, but this weekend I was finally able to finish Blood and Wine from Witcher 3. It had been a while since I stopped playing the Witcher, but damn that was one of most fun gaming experiences ever! Loved it, and now I feel empty for not having any more to play. I guess I'll start NG+.
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,223
And1: 5,417
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#530 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon May 20, 2019 5:47 pm

KqWIN wrote:Don't know how many of you guys are gamers, but this weekend I was finally able to finish Blood and Wine from Witcher 3. It had been a while since I stopped playing the Witcher, but damn that was one of most fun gaming experiences ever! Loved it, and now I feel empty for not having any more to play. I guess I'll start NG+.

I'm assuming you also finished the Hearts of Stone expansion? The Witcher 3 is definitely one of the best games ever made. I understand you feeling empty for not having anymore to play, but lucky for you, there is plenty left. The Witcher 2 is every bit as good, even if it's not a truly open world game. It is absolutely amazing, and the writing is even better, especially since there are far more consequences to your actions, and they do make a big difference. I'm not spoiling anything, but when act 1 finishes, you have to make a choice where to go and based on your choice, act 2 will be in a totally different area with different characters and story (which will also affect act 3), so you should play that game at least twice (IIRC, there are 36 different endings) .

The first Witcher game is also still pretty good. Yes, its gameplay has gotten a bit old, but the writing is again, consistently excellent, and it's a very long game. In fact, by playing the Witcher 3 first you missed on carrying on your savegame file from the first game, through the second, to the third.

And last but not least, the games are based on the books, and if you liked the game, there is no reason you won't like the books, as the games are very faithful in terms of tone and characters (they appear in the books). They are just as good as GRRM's Game of Thrones\A Song of Ice and Fire series (yes, really), and there are a lot of similarities, only the Witcher Saga books have all been published already. Plus, they are a lot less long-winded and not packed with filler. You should definitely check them out if you want more Witcher. Start from the beginning with the two short-story books (The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny), it will pay off when you finish reading the last book of the saga.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#531 » by KqWIN » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Don't know how many of you guys are gamers, but this weekend I was finally able to finish Blood and Wine from Witcher 3. It had been a while since I stopped playing the Witcher, but damn that was one of most fun gaming experiences ever! Loved it, and now I feel empty for not having any more to play. I guess I'll start NG+.

I'm assuming you also finished the Hearts of Stone expansion? The Witcher 3 is definitely one of the best games ever made. I understand you feeling empty for not having anymore to play, but lucky for you, there is plenty left. The Witcher 2 is every bit as good, even if it's not a truly open world game. It is absolutely amazing, and the writing is even better, especially since there are far more consequences to your actions, and they do make a big difference. I'm not spoiling anything, but when act 1 finishes, you have to make a choice where to go and based on your choice, act 2 will be in a totally different area with different characters and story (which will also affect act 3), so you should play that game at least twice (IIRC, there are 36 different endings) .

The first Witcher game is also still pretty good. Yes, its gameplay has gotten a bit old, but the writing is again, consistently excellent, and it's a very long game. In fact, by playing the Witcher 3 first you missed on carrying on your savegame file from the first game, through the second, to the third.

And last but not least, the games are based on the books, and if you liked the game, there is no reason you won't like the books, as the games are very faithful in terms of tone and characters (they appear in the books). They are just as good as GRRM's Game of Thrones\A Song of Ice and Fire series (yes, really), and there are a lot of similarities, only the Witcher Saga books have all been published already. Plus, they are a lot less long-winded and not packed with filler. You should definitely check them out if you want more Witcher. Start from the beginning with the two short-story books (The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny), it will pay off when you finish reading the last book of the saga.


Yes I finished HoS. It was great, although I'm a baby who gets creeped out by ghosts so I don't know if I'll revisit that on a second play through lol. I loved the "knights and valor" theme of Blood and Wine. I began listening to the Last Wish today at work.
User avatar
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
Posts: 17,006
And1: 970
Joined: Sep 19, 2002
Location: Barcelona, Spain
   

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#532 » by FJS » Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Don't know how many of you guys are gamers, but this weekend I was finally able to finish Blood and Wine from Witcher 3. It had been a while since I stopped playing the Witcher, but damn that was one of most fun gaming experiences ever! Loved it, and now I feel empty for not having any more to play. I guess I'll start NG+.

I'm assuming you also finished the Hearts of Stone expansion? The Witcher 3 is definitely one of the best games ever made. I understand you feeling empty for not having anymore to play, but lucky for you, there is plenty left. The Witcher 2 is every bit as good, even if it's not a truly open world game. It is absolutely amazing, and the writing is even better, especially since there are far more consequences to your actions, and they do make a big difference. I'm not spoiling anything, but when act 1 finishes, you have to make a choice where to go and based on your choice, act 2 will be in a totally different area with different characters and story (which will also affect act 3), so you should play that game at least twice (IIRC, there are 36 different endings) .

The first Witcher game is also still pretty good. Yes, its gameplay has gotten a bit old, but the writing is again, consistently excellent, and it's a very long game. In fact, by playing the Witcher 3 first you missed on carrying on your savegame file from the first game, through the second, to the third.

And last but not least, the games are based on the books, and if you liked the game, there is no reason you won't like the books, as the games are very faithful in terms of tone and characters (they appear in the books). They are just as good as GRRM's Game of Thrones\A Song of Ice and Fire series (yes, really), and there are a lot of similarities, only the Witcher Saga books have all been published already. Plus, they are a lot less long-winded and not packed with filler. You should definitely check them out if you want more Witcher. Start from the beginning with the two short-story books (The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny), it will pay off when you finish reading the last book of the saga.

Thanks!, Yes, I had the GOY edition with 2 expansions. Probably I should play The witcher 2.
Image
Crunch 99
Analyst
Posts: 3,506
And1: 1,464
Joined: Jan 05, 2017
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#533 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 13,223
And1: 5,417
Joined: May 31, 2012

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#534 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:39 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Read on Twitter


This is what it would look like if Lance Stephenson was an 8 year old girl.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
Image
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#535 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:01 pm

Here is Mitchell working w/ Chris Brickley on moves he will never use in a real game.

Read on Twitter
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 5,974
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#536 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:05 pm

KqWIN wrote:Here is Mitchell working w/ Chris Brickley on moves he will never use in a real game.

Read on Twitter

I'm nor so sure he will never use them. He still will be our go-to iso player most probably...
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#537 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:11 pm

stitches wrote:I'm nor so sure he will never use them. He still will be our go-to iso player most probably...


Sure, if he finds himself in a position to post up Yogi Ferrell!

Obviously these videos just exist to look cool, and they do. I just hope he's working on his pullup 3 and learning how to create contact on his finishes around the rim. It looked cool for Jayson Tatum too until he started using this iso mid range stuff in real games instead of going to the rim.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 5,974
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#538 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:15 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm nor so sure he will never use them. He still will be our go-to iso player most probably...


Sure, if he finds himself in a position to post up Yogi Ferrell!

Obviously these videos just exist to look cool, and they do. I just hope he's working on his pullup 3 and learning how to create contact on his finishes around the rim. It looked cool for Jayson Tatum too until he started using this iso mid range stuff in real games instead of going to the rim.

I bet it's all of it. It works on his footwork and his control and balance on-ball in general(including pull up 3s). It's not as simple as 'this just helps in mind-range post ups"..
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 4,515
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#539 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:18 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm nor so sure he will never use them. He still will be our go-to iso player most probably...


Sure, if he finds himself in a position to post up Yogi Ferrell!

Obviously these videos just exist to look cool, and they do. I just hope he's working on his pullup 3 and learning how to create contact on his finishes around the rim. It looked cool for Jayson Tatum too until he started using this iso mid range stuff in real games instead of going to the rim.

I bet it's all of it. It works on his footwork and his control and balance on-ball in general(including pull up 3s). It's not as simple as 'this just helps in mind-range post ups"..


I'm sure it all helps. I'm just paranoid and not trusting of the instagram trainers. I don't want him to make a turn like Tatum did. I guess he's the same trainer who helped get Mitchell to where he is though.
User avatar
stitches
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 5,974
Joined: Jul 14, 2014
 

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#540 » by stitches » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:24 pm

KqWIN wrote:I'm sure it all helps. I'm just paranoid and not trusting of the instagram trainers. I don't want him to make a turn like Tatum did. I guess he's the same trainer who helped get Mitchell to where he is though.

He was the trainer that was posting videos of Mitchell the summer after we drafted him... he's been working with him for a while. No idea how good he is, but I guess the Jazz have OK'ed it to some extent. I know they usually put some incentives in the contract for off-season work with our own coaches. No idea if Mitchell is doing it or they just trust him to do the work without being overbearing.

Return to Utah Jazz