Outsider checking in

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

dark shark
Junior
And1: 164

Outsider checking in 

Post#1 » by dark shark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey guys, Mavs fan here. Was watching the Jazz play for the first time since 2008. I was so happy to see good team basketball, I have a few questions. What's the general opinion of Hayward from Jazz fans? Id like to think I make sound judgments and I'm wrong too, that being said I thought he might be over dribbling a bit too much. The offense seemed great with Hill at the point and Hayward on the bench. It's so hard to enjoy good basketball these days since no particular player keeps me captivated and we only have 2 or 3 contenders. The Jazz were something refreshing to see. Also, how would you feel if you lost a player like Hayward in free agency. Big loss, small loss?
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Re: Outsider checking in 

Post#2 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the visit.

We love Hayward. If we don't re-sign him this off-season, we'll be ruined.

As far as his fit on offense, he's our best offensive player. Rarely does he over-dribble. I think that's more about the problems the Clippers give him than anything else. He's very unselfish, moves well without the ball and very rarely breaks out of the offensive system.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#3 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 pm

dark shark wrote:Hey guys, Mavs fan here. Was watching the Jazz play for the first time since 2008. I was so happy to see good team basketball, I have a few questions. What's the general opinion of Hayward from Jazz fans? Id like to think I make sound judgments and I'm wrong too, that being said I thought he might be over dribbling a bit too much. The offense seemed great with Hill at the point and Hayward on the bench. It's so hard to enjoy good basketball these days since no particular player keeps me captivated and we only have 2 or 3 contenders. The Jazz were something refreshing to see. Also, how would you feel if you lost a player like Hayward in free agency. Big loss, small loss?

Losing Hayward would suck big time.

Hayward isn't flashy but he almost always produces good numbers on very good efficiency. He can over dribble at times but often he is waiting for another guy to get to their spot.

Hayward plays team basketball almost too perfect at times. He will pass to the open man, get the ball to the guy with the weakest defender, and play unselfish. He is also a good defender. As long as the Jazz can put above average players around Hayward the Jazz will continue to be able to exploit other teams and run their Spurs style system.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#4 » by zero24gravity » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello dark shark. Here's my opinion on your questions:

What's the general opinion of Hayward from Jazz fans? Overall, this year has been a huge turning point for him. He's got better every year, but this year was the first year that you heard very little complaints from Jazz fans about him. His great work ethic & desire to improve his game & his physical stature are really impressive. He might over dribble on occasion, but what go-to offensive wing doesn't? He's got much better in that area. In past years it seemed he did a lot of over-dibbling and then turn the ball over. That issues seems to be gone.

The offense seemed great with Hill at the point and Hayward on the bench. Hayward didn't have his best offensive game vs the Clips, but watch some more games, he's a really complete player. Hill has been a little more up and down than Gordon, but was very solid in game 1, so I can understand why you say that.

The Jazz were something refreshing to see.
Yup! And you watched a game without Gobert, who is the defensive & emotional anchor of the team! Just wait until he gets back. But admittedly, some nights they are hard to watch on offense. Still, defensively, they bring it just about every night & there's little hero ball on this team, which is great to watch.

Also, how would you feel if you lost a player like Hayward in free agency. Big loss, small loss? HUGE loss. Yes, they would still have Gobert, but you can't just replace a player like Hayward, especially in a small market. You can't just plug in the next huy & be as good .... he simply does too many things well.

They aren't perfect & the injuries have been devastating all year long, but I love the Jazz & what they have going on right now. Gordon is a huge part of that, and I hope he signs a long, long contract to stick around & help lead this team to the upper-echelon of the NBA.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Some people seem to think that Hayward over dribbles or has the ball too much, but I've never believed it for a second. He is not a ball dominant player, and it's backed up by the numbers. Hayward has relatively low time of possession, especially considering that he's often the primary ball handler and takes it up the floor.

I think what makes people believe that is when our offensive sets don't work, it leaves Hayward to create in a 1 on 1 situation off the dribble which he isn't particularly great at. He's falls victim to the strange phenomena where fans blame their best player, or in this case their best scorer, for their offense failing. Hayward has always been an unselfish ball mover. Our offense tends to struggle when we stick him in the corner.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#6 » by TO11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 pm

dark shark wrote:Hey guys, Mavs fan here. Was watching the Jazz play for the first time since 2008. I was so happy to see good team basketball, I have a few questions. What's the general opinion of Hayward from Jazz fans? Id like to think I make sound judgments and I'm wrong too, that being said I thought he might be over dribbling a bit too much. The offense seemed great with Hill at the point and Hayward on the bench. It's so hard to enjoy good basketball these days since no particular player keeps me captivated and we only have 2 or 3 contenders. The Jazz were something refreshing to see. Also, how would you feel if you lost a player like Hayward in free agency. Big loss, small loss?

My opinion of Hayward probably doesn't reflect what most of the fan base probably thinks, imo his biggest flaws are due to the fact that he isn't a very vocal player and I don't see him as the type of player who can hold other players accountable. Obviously that's really nit picky, but those are things that really do matter especially in playoff basketball. Luckily Rudy Gobert is that kind of player, who isn't afraid to be vocal during a game and hash things out that aren't going well.

Other than that, Hayward has developed into the type of player where he often gets you 20 points even when it feels like he isn't have a good game. He seems to be really good at a lot of different things, but maybe not spectacular at any one particular thing. I don't think he is the type of player that can take over any given game when he wants to yet. He is still improving and puts in the time to getting better, so maybe there is room for growth.

Overall I think our fan base overhypes Hayward a little bit, but it's for good reason. He is the best player that's willing to play for us...our market doesn't attract big names like your market will. And he fits really well with our system. We all want him to get maxed...but unfortunately he probably won't be a top tier max contract player which means we have to make up for that in other areas of the team with less cap space.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 pm

BTW, we played 4 minutes with Hill IN and Hayward on the bench. -4 in 4 minutes.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#8 » by Luigi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Hello dark shark. Here's my opinion on your questions:

What's the general opinion of Hayward from Jazz fans? Overall, this year has been a huge turning point for him. He's got better every year, but this year was the first year that you heard very little complaints from Jazz fans about him.

Confirmed. I didn't like him as our first option for a long time, and didn't think he could keep improving. He's pretty good now, and getting better, which is very impressive. Not a lot of players keep improving like that, they plateau off.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
dark shark
Junior

Post#9 » by dark shark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks you for answering everyone:D I've been to Salt Lake City 5 years ago, its a real nice city with nice people. It's a shame big free agents don't sign there as TO11 mentioned, but I like that and how your roster is constructed, its almost a blue collar feel. Underdogs with no ego work hard in the NBA and play as a unit. Great mix of veterans and young players that can shoot, pass, and defend. A good model for basketball.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#10 » by Winglish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Gordon Hayward is our all-star and most consistent player. He and Rudy make the team what it is. We love him and we hope he stays!

As a player Gordon is solid on both offense and defense. He plays a great floor game even when his shooting is off or when he does not assert himself offensively. Every team in the league would love to have him and that says it all.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#11 » by pickIBL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Hayward is actually an example of a primary scorer that basically plays within the system. To watch the opposite just take a look at Melo. Karl and Jackson sing the same tune.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#12 » by MeestR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Take a look at this and decide what Jazz fans think of Hayward...
https://www.gofundme.com/utahjazz6man
(The goal has been exceeded BTW)
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#13 » by erudite23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 am

Gordo is a really good player. I think he does overdribble at times, but a lot of the guys on our team do. Generally speaking, he's got a very diverse skill set, but isn't elite at anything. As mentioned, he's gotten better every year and seems determined to continue that trajectory. He's already better than I ever thought he had a chance to be, so you won't hear me doubt him any more. Love the guy.

That said, Rudy is our best player.
dark shark
Junior

Post#14 » by dark shark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Looking forward to see Rudy Gobert play, I think the Jazz can make the finals soon. Imagine they add Paul George in free agency?
dark shark
Junior

Post#15 » by dark shark » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 am

cool looking back at this, especially with my post above ^^. glad you guys are in this position, bounced back amazingly after hayward. gobert is a beast. I have jazz winning in 7.

Return to Utah Jazz