Jazz offseason 2017 thread

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Jazz offseason 2017 thread 

Post#1 » by FJS » Fri May 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Everything about roster movements, rumors, free agents etc.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: Jazz offseason 2017 thread 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 12, 2017 3:05 pm

It would be nice if the Jazz could start contract negotiations now with free agents, home teams should have the upper hand.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri May 12, 2017 3:25 pm

GobertReport wrote:It would be nice if the Jazz could start contract negotiations now with free agents, home teams should have the upper hand.

Do we really need it though? We had all year to discuss contract situations with our own players who will become free agents. They're becoming free agents so they could test the market and talk to other teams and either find a better situation or leverage the negotiations for a better contract with the Jazz, which can't happen without hitting free agency first.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Fri May 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Pretty sure it's not tampering if they talk to milos
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#5 » by zero24gravity » Fri May 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Resigning Hayward is obviously the #1 priority, but after that, there are a number of FA's that could help this team & may not be out of the realm of possibility to sign.

Lowry would be my #1 choice, but it's very unlikely to draw a top notch FA to Utah, regardless of how good they are.

Others good FA's that would help the team and seem more realistic to me are:

K.Korver
T.Gibson
R.Gay
JJ Redick
S.Ibaka
D.Gallinari
P.Gasol
P.Millsap

And if Hill walks (which I suspect he will) then I'm sure team will look at J.Holiday & J.Teague.

It's going to be a summer to watch. Assuming Hayward signs (fingers crossed), it'll be interesting to see if the FO feels that building with what they have, with some small tweaks (and improved health), is the way to go .... or if some bigger changes are needed to really push this team into contention.

I also think that they Jazz are going to be pushing hard to trade draft picks for established help, same as they did with Hill last year.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#6 » by Daddy 801 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Anyone else listened to the Locke breakdown on salary? Because it looks not so great if DL doesn't make a move before July1st. That capspace will be gone and after resigning Hayward there is basically no room to sign both Hill and Ingles unless multiple salaries are moved.

This might be the single most important move DL has to make since he became the GM. He needs to use that capspace. It could be to bring in a PG/ComboGuard like Dragic, Lin, RJackson, etc or a couple backups. But he has to use it.

Then DL needs to trade Burks and/or Favs to clear more space so both Ingles and Hill can be resigned.

And for all the talk about having two picks in the first round this draft I highly suspect that one of them is gone to facilitate either the trade for a guy like Dragic (unless he sends out Dante or Hood) and/or the trade to dump Burks on another team. Him being injured yet again killed his value right when he need to be traded.

And all the talk about a guy like CP3, Lowry, etc coming here is just talk. There is no room to sign a guy like that.

DL is going to show the type of GM he is in the next few months.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#7 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:38 am

Just posted this in response to a trade proposal that involved the Jazz and the Chicago Bulls. Interested to hear y'alls thoughts:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Kupchak9 wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:No from Utah.

Counter offer:
Rodney Hood
Trey Lyles
2017 #30 pick

for...

2017 #16 pick
Cristiano Felicio
Trade Exception

Wow that really seems like an overpay for Utah. Either Keep Hood or use him in a bigger package. Millsap?

Jazz need the cap flexibility in the near future after we max out Hayward and get us a point guard (either Hill in FA this year or via trade) and re-sign Joe Ingles. Jazz can also move up in a loaded draft to get a legit lottery prospect who can contribute now and later on a cheap deal. Hood isn't a part of our future for financial reasons (as I mentioned previously) and we played much better with Ingles as our starting 2 guard. Lyles doesn't fit our culture and would be better off with a change of scenery. Jazz need a backup big that can give energy, play defense and rebound and Felicio can do that for us.

Jazz can take a guard at the 16th spot to replace Hood or snag a big who can battle Felicio, Diaw, Bolomboy or a free agent signing for backup big minutes coming off the bench, and perhaps replace Favors if he leaves in FA or if we end up trading him at this next deadline.

Jazz roster moving forward could look something like this:
Hill (or other PG)/Exum/Neto
Ingles/16th pick/Alec Burks
Hayward/Free agent
Favors/Joe Johnson/Bolomboy
Gobert/Felicio/24th pick/Diaw

Jazz also have 2 second rounders in this years draft that they could use to fill up their D-league roster spots. They can also waive the rest of Diaw's contract if they want/need further cap flexibility as his contract this upcoming season isn't guaranteed.

Top free agent targets for the Jazz would include:
PJ Tucker
James Johnson
Rudy Gay
Shabazz Muhammad
Thabo Sefolosha
Omri Casspi

All of those guys would be coming off the bench behind Hayward at the 3 spot.

Ideally, the Jazz would also dump Alec Burks contract and sign someone else in free agency to be a part of their guard rotation, but I'm not so willing to give up future assets just to dump his contract. And if he can get healthy again, he could probably fit into the rotation nicely.

If we play this out a bit with hypotheticals, we could be looking at a roster of:
Hill/Exum/Neto
Ingles/Mitchell or Frank Jackson/Alec Burks
Hayward/James Johnson
Gobert/Feleicio/Pasecniks or Hartenstein/Diaw

D-league spot 1: ???
D-League spot 2: ???
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#8 » by Daddy 801 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:50 am

I would pass on that trade.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 am

Daddy 801 wrote:I would pass on that trade.

Reasons?
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:I would pass on that trade.

Reasons?

There is no guarantee the #16 pick will be as good as Hood. And while Lyles was hot garbage the second half of the year I still believe he can be a good player. I just don't see this being the right move.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#11 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 13, 2017 2:50 am

I would do Favors, Hood, and Exum for Bledsoe and Booker.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 13, 2017 2:52 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Anyone else listened to the Locke breakdown on salary? Because it looks not so great if DL doesn't make a move before July1st. That capspace will be gone and after resigning Hayward there is basically no room to sign both Hill and Ingles unless multiple salaries are moved.

This might be the single most important move DL has to make since he became the GM. He needs to use that capspace. It could be to bring in a PG/ComboGuard like Dragic, Lin, RJackson, etc or a couple backups. But he has to use it.

Then DL needs to trade Burks and/or Favs to clear more space so both Ingles and Hill can be resigned.

And for all the talk about having two picks in the first round this draft I highly suspect that one of them is gone to facilitate either the trade for a guy like Dragic (unless he sends out Dante or Hood) and/or the trade to dump Burks on another team. Him being injured yet again killed his value right when he need to be traded.

And all the talk about a guy like CP3, Lowry, etc coming here is just talk. There is no room to sign a guy like that.

DL is going to show the type of GM he is in the next few months.

If we get a combo guard why resign Hill?
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#13 » by AingesBurner » Sat May 13, 2017 3:07 am

Rudy not playing for team France.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#14 » by stitches » Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:Just posted this in response to a trade proposal that involved the Jazz and the Chicago Bulls. Interested to hear y'alls thoughts:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
Kupchak9 wrote:
Wow that really seems like an overpay for Utah. Either Keep Hood or use him in a bigger package. Millsap?

Jazz need the cap flexibility in the near future after we max out Hayward and get us a point guard (either Hill in FA this year or via trade) and re-sign Joe Ingles. Jazz can also move up in a loaded draft to get a legit lottery prospect who can contribute now and later on a cheap deal. Hood isn't a part of our future for financial reasons (as I mentioned previously) and we played much better with Ingles as our starting 2 guard. Lyles doesn't fit our culture and would be better off with a change of scenery. Jazz need a backup big that can give energy, play defense and rebound and Felicio can do that for us.

Jazz can take a guard at the 16th spot to replace Hood or snag a big who can battle Felicio, Diaw, Bolomboy or a free agent signing for backup big minutes coming off the bench, and perhaps replace Favors if he leaves in FA or if we end up trading him at this next deadline.

Hayward/Free agent

Jazz also have 2 second rounders in this years draft that they could use to fill up their D-league roster spots. They can also waive the rest of Diaw's contract if they want/need further cap flexibility as his contract this upcoming season isn't guaranteed.

PJ Tucker
James Johnson
Rudy Gay
Shabazz Muhammad
Thabo Sefolosha
Omri Casspi

Ideally, the Jazz would also dump Alec Burks contract and sign someone else in free agency to be a part of their guard rotation, but I'm not so willing to give up future assets just to dump his contract. And if he can get healthy again, he could probably fit into the rotation nicely.

If we play this out a bit with hypotheticals, we could be looking at a roster of:
Hill/Exum/Neto
Hayward/James Johnson

That's truly horrible! Of course the Bulls will be interested. They make out like bandits. You are severely overreacting to an injured season by Hood.
stitches
RealGM

Post#15 » by stitches » Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 am

GobertReport wrote:I would do Favors, Hood, and Exum for Bledsoe and Booker.

Bledsoe and Booker are the most valuable pieces in this trade. You are not getting Booker for that full package IMO. Hell you are probably not getting Booker for anything non-Gobert related...
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:40 am

stitches wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:Just posted this in response to a trade proposal that involved the Jazz and the Chicago Bulls. Interested to hear y'alls thoughts:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:Jazz need the cap flexibility in the near future after we max out Hayward and get us a point guard (either Hill in FA this year or via trade) and re-sign Joe Ingles. Jazz can also move up in a loaded draft to get a legit lottery prospect who can contribute now and later on a cheap deal. Hood isn't a part of our future for financial reasons (as I mentioned previously) and we played much better with Ingles as our starting 2 guard. Lyles doesn't fit our culture and would be better off with a change of scenery. Jazz need a backup big that can give energy, play defense and rebound and Felicio can do that for us.

Hayward/Free agent

PJ Tucker
James Johnson
Rudy Gay
Shabazz Muhammad
Thabo Sefolosha
Omri Casspi

Hill/Exum/Neto
Hayward/James Johnson

That's truly horrible! Of course the Bulls will be interested. They make out like bandits. You are severely overreacting to an injured season by Hood.

It's not an overreaction to Hood's injuries, I just don't believe in Hood nor do I want him on the team moving forward. Same goes for Lyles. I rather take the future cap flexibility and roll the dice on a prospect in a deep draft.

I mean, at some point we have to face the facts that we can't keep all of our guys. We're going to have to trade some people at some point or lose them for nothing in free agency. I think the sooner we address the issue, the better.

And just out of curiosity Stitches, what exactly do you propose we do with our soon to be cap problem? And what deals are you going to try and make with the guys we'll need to move? I mean, you're great at shooting everyones trade ideas down, but you never seem to actually propose any trades (or solutions) yourself. Just interested on what you'd actually do when we're forced to do something. Like, what exactly do you consider to be fair value for Hood? Lyles? etc.
stitches
RealGM

Post#17 » by stitches » Sat May 13, 2017 3:43 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:It's not an overreaction to Hood's injuries, I just don't believe in Hood nor do I want him on the team moving forward. Same goes for Lyles. I rather take the future cap flexibility and roll the dice on a prospect in a deep draft.

I mean, at some point we have to face the facts that we can't keep all of our guys. We're going to have to trade some people at some point or lose them for nothing in free agency. I think the sooner we address the issue, the better.

You are taking the "we can't keep everybody" matra and extending it to "everyone i don't like needs to go and preferably for garbage/underpayment"
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:44 am

stitches wrote:
UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:It's not an overreaction to Hood's injuries, I just don't believe in Hood nor do I want him on the team moving forward. Same goes for Lyles. I rather take the future cap flexibility and roll the dice on a prospect in a deep draft.

You are taking the "we can't keep everybody" matra and extending it to "everyone i don't like needs to go and preferably for garbage/underpayment"

See my edit in the my last post.

What exactly is your proposed perfect solution that's so much better than this? Eh?

And for the record, Felicio has a greater positive impact when on the floor than both Hood and Lyles. Sooooo...
stitches
RealGM

Post#19 » by stitches » Sat May 13, 2017 3:51 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:And just out of curiosity Stitches, what exactly do you propose we do with our soon to be cap problem? And what deals are you going to try and make with the guys we'll need to move? I mean, you're great at shooting everyones trade ideas down, but you never seem to actually propose any trades (or solutions) yourself. Just interested on what you'd actually do when we're forced to do something. Like, what exactly do you consider to be fair value for Hood? Lyles? etc.

I can't answer this before I know what happens with Hayward/Hill... If they leave, I've said what I want - blow it all up. Trade everybody who has value and isn't on rookie contract and start from 0. This might or might not include Hood. I'm not sure.

If they re-sign with the Jazz... it depends for how much. I'm willing to go with it this season. If possible trade Burks for capspace, waive Boris too. If you cannot get good offer for Favors, just keep him. 1 year of Favors is worth more than the garbage most are proposing. We gave lottery pick for 1 year 3 months of Hill ... If you cannot get at least that for Favors, just keep him... if he plays great - good, we got good value of that 1 year, if he plays bad/injured we might have a chance to keep him for cheap going forward. Either way - capable rotational player with the upside of a top 30 player in the league for 1 year >>> garbage.

Lyles and Hood are not the problem capwise right now. They will have value as restricted free agents up to the moment they enter restricted free agency. I wouldn't trade them now, unless someone blows me out with an offer. I expect both of them to be much better than what they were this year. Both have shown to be able to play better than that and Lyles is just 21, he will improve... I think.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#20 » by sipclip » Sat May 13, 2017 4:00 am

That proposal might be the worst I have ever seen. I haven't given up on any of those players and it guts our future depth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz