Jazz offseason 2017 thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Jazz offseason 2017 thread 

Post#2041 » by stitches » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

I will say one thing ... If Favors is healthy, there is no player on this roster other than Rudy you need to include in your calculations and considerations about whether or not Favors has long-term future with this team. If you think Favors+Gobert can work together, this is all you need to know. Rubio, Exum ... are not players that have shown anything close to the level of play Favors was showing just a year ago. You don't make decisions about whether to sign Favors or not based on the presence of mediocre pieces.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#2042 » by AingesBurner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm

All I can hope is that Favors is working hard on his offensive game that's 10 plus feet out, if he can shoot shoot 4-5 threes at 35% a clip then you can say he's as good or better than Dray, it is all up to Favors on how good he can be.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#2043 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 pm

GobertReport wrote:All I can hope is that Favors is working hard on his offensive game that's 10 plus feet out, if he can shoot shoot 4-5 threes at 35% a clip then you can say he's as good or better than Dray, it is all up to Favors on how good he can be.

He doesn't even need to be able to do that. All he needs to get back is his rim rolling and defense. Sure, i'd be ecstatic if he was draining 3's. But if he is rolling at the efficiency he was a few seasons ago he is going to be amazing with Rubio next to him.

But I will gladly take some 3's :D . Even 2 shots a game at 35% would be amazing.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#2044 » by AingesBurner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:All I can hope is that Favors is working hard on his offensive game that's 10 plus feet out, if he can shoot shoot 4-5 threes at 35% a clip then you can say he's as good or better than Dray, it is all up to Favors on how good he can be.

He doesn't even need to be able to do that. All he needs to get back is his rim rolling and defense. Sure, i'd be ecstatic if he was draining 3's. But if he is rolling at the efficiency he was a few seasons ago he is going to be amazing with Rubio next to him.

But I will gladly take some 3's :D . Even 2 shots a game at 35% would be amazing.

Rudy is going to be the main benefactor of the pick and roll while Favors will benefit from the pick and pop, and that is why Favors really needs to work on his J from at least 10 feet out, Favors has to become a reliable shooter or he won't see much time on the floor with Gobert and Rubio.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#2045 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Rudy is going to be the main benefactor of the pick and roll while Favors will benefit from the pick and pop, and that is why Favors really needs to work on his J from at least 10 feet out, Favors has to become a reliable shooter or he won't see much time on the floor with Gobert and Rubio.

I believe both will benefit greatly. They can alternate each time down the court while the other one is in the "dunker" spot. If those three form a little bond they could be amazing. I know Rudys numbers were amazing in the PnR so he should get a ton of touches, but once Gobert sits down (if Favs is healthy) Favs can also be very effective in the PnR. I see Rubio having a extreme impact on both assuming health.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#2046 » by AingesBurner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

I believe both will benefit greatly. They can alternate each time down the court while the other one is in the "dunker" spot. If those three form a little bond they could be amazing. I know Rudys numbers were amazing in the PnR so he should get a ton of touches, but once Gobert sits down (if Favs is healthy) Favs can also be very effective in the PnR. I see Rubio having a extreme impact on both assuming health.

Rubio is going to be a godsend. I just think if Favors is going to have to be a reliable jump shooter to be on the floor with R N R, if Rudy can get that 12 ft J that would also helps loads. Next question is if Rubio and Exum both flourish, do you keep Hood?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#2047 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 pm

stitches wrote:I will say one thing ... If Favors is healthy, there is no player on this roster other than Rudy you need to include in your calculations and considerations about whether or not Favors has long-term future with this team. If you think Favors+Gobert can work together, this is all you need to know. Rubio, Exum ... are not players that have shown anything close to the level of play Favors was showing just a year ago. You don't make decisions about whether to sign Favors or not based on the presence of mediocre pieces.

I'd say Rubio was at the level of Favors, but I tend to agree. Everything is centered around Rudy. Having said that, you do make decisions on Favors on how he fits with the rest of your roster. Everybody needs to fit together someone. Whatever way you think the puzzle pieces fit, Favors should not have more priority over someone like Rubio, Hood, or Mitchell. Everybody is beneath Gobert, but I wouldn't say Favors is above the others.

As far as whether or not Favors-Gobert is a long term pair, Quin has demonstrated a very strong stance on that these past two seasons.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#2048 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 pm

I don't want Favors standing away from the basket. He's not a good player away from the hoop, in fact, he's very bad outside of the paint. If you want to have spacing around Gobert, get someone who can space the floor. Don't tell someone to do something they are very bad at. If Favors is on the court with Gobert he needs to crash the glass, not stand on the perimeter where he is useless. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with taking a player away from his strengths and trying to move him towards the things he is bad at.

Draymond is wayyyy beyond Favors btw. Favors could become a 40% three point shooter and still won't come close to Dray because of his playmaking and defense.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#2049 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

I have to admit that I have some concerns about how the defense plays the PnR and PnP when Rubio isn't a scoring threat. Until he can force the defender to stay with him, hopefully go over the screen, the defense can overload these plays pretty easily. At a minimum, two reliable shooters will need to be on the floor to create some space and keep the defense honest.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#2050 » by tleikheen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 am

A healthy Favors is much more natural scorer than Gobert is around the basket.I can easily see Favors punishing stretch 4 players while he's on the court and being more a focal point on offense than Gobert is.Gobert is great on defense but he'll be secondary if Favors is healthy as far as offensively.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#2051 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:48 am

I know he is a weird dude with a weird reputation, but Beasley gets like 9 points on 17 minutes and shoots 41% from 3. Seems like a decent small ball PF. When I read those numbers I was surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#2052 » by KqWIN » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 am

Rubio's shooting at the rim is where I'm hopeful we'll see the most improvement. The Jazz coaching staff has done a good job teaching players how to finish around the basket, especially layups off the wrong foot. Rubio's layup game is horrendous, much worse than his shooting. If he can become average at layups it'll help us out a ton.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#2053 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

I don't think alternating between the dunker spot is going to work. In both cases the other team's 4 and 5 are going to be in the paint so it's going to be a log jam no matter what. My hope is that Favors takes advantage of Rubio by getting down the court quickly. He needs to take a page out of the Mailman playbook. Run down the floor, pin your guy under the basket, then dunk on his head. Easy peasy. He just needs to get down the floor.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#2054 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 am

KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I don't think alternating between the dunker spot is going to work. In both cases the other team's 4 and 5 are going to be in the paint so it's going to be a log jam no matter what. My hope is that Favors takes advantage of Rubio by getting down the court quickly. He needs to take a page out of the Mailman playbook. Run down the floor, pin your guy under the basket, then dunk on his head. Easy peasy. He just needs to get down the floor.

I agree Favs can get 2-6 easy points a game if he decides to run.

I highly disagree that Favs/Gobert can't gain an advantage by being in the dunker. If a team employs a smaller PF or a small ball PF they are going to be severely outsized/outmatched if either Gobert or Favs are in position. Rubio could easily hit one of those guys on a pass if a help defender is showing on the PnR, and if the defender for the dunker is sticking to the dunker they are going to be out of position for help defense. And in the transition of Rubio passing the ball to either Favs/Gobert in the PnR the defender then decides to play help defense either Gobert or Favs can easily make a pass over the help defender and either Favs/Gobert should then be in position for an easy dunk. On top of all of that, if the play gets broken and someone makes a bad shot both Favs and Gobert are near the rim for a rebound. That's where we want them. We don't want Favs sitting in the 3 point line. We want those two grabbing every rebound possible.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#2055 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 am

Daddy 801 wrote:

I highly disagree that Favs/Gobert can't gain an advantage by being in the dunker. If a team employs a smaller PF or a small ball PF they are going to be severely outsized/outmatched if either Gobert or Favs are in position. Rubio could easily hit one of those guys on a pass if a help defender is showing on the PnR, and if the defender for the dunker is sticking to the dunker they are going to be out of position for help defense. And in the transition of Rubio passing the ball to either Favs/Gobert in the PnR the defender then decides to play help defense either Gobert or Favs can easily make a pass over the help defender and either Favs/Gobert should then be in position for an easy dunk. On top of all of that, if the play gets broken and someone makes a bad shot both Favs and Gobert are near the rim for a rebound. That's where we want them. We don't want Favs sitting in the 3 point line. We want those two grabbing every rebound possible.

Oh, I agree. They can be effective from that position. I was just saying that the swapping itself doesn't create an advantage. The defense is going to be the same no matter which one sets the screen. Favors is better from 8 feet away, but the defense is still going to cram inside the paint.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#2056 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 am

KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Oh, I agree. They can be effective from that position. I was just saying that the swapping itself doesn't create an advantage. The defense is going to be the same no matter which one sets the screen. Favors is better from 8 feet away, but the defense is still going to cram inside the paint.

They are going to try. We are going to crush them. :D

The whole point of me saying they swap is just mixing it up, having guys get a little rest, and saying they won't always be playing with each other.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#2057 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

They are going to try. We are going to crush them. :D

The whole point of me saying they swap is just mixing it up, having guys get a little rest, and saying they won't always be playing with each other.

The offensive glass is where we have to crush them. 3 non shooters, and the other two where begged by the Clippers to take wide open shots in the playoffs :lol: The short roll game is going to be crucial for Gobert and Favors.
stitches
RealGM

Post#2058 » by stitches » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 pm

In the latest Locked on Jazz Locke said the word from LA is that Alec Burks is killing it in his sparring sessions in LA and he's got all his explosion back and is playing painless.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#2059 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

stitches wrote:In the latest Locked on Jazz Locke said the word from LA is that Alec Burks is killing it in his sparring sessions in LA and he's got all his explosion back and is playing painless.

That's awesome. Here's hoping for Alec to have an injury-free season. His style of play makes him my favorite player to watch (though Rubio will probably take the crown this season).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#2060 » by stitches » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Favs is pumped up too:

Read on Twitter

_dfavors15 wrote:Sand work :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: Tougher than expected..#hotashell #grind. @lilydsatraining

Return to Utah Jazz