Jazz offseason 2017 thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Jazz offseason 2017 thread 

Post#1961 » by Daddy 801 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:33 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Rolling with Rauxcee on this. I will also add that any team not matching up with the Warriors or even the top 4 teams in the league are not on a level playing field in terms of financial backing and ability to eat lux tax. The Jazz are far from mediocre, right now, are penciled in by just about everyone to make the playoffs for the 2nd straight year after a long drought/re-build/Corbinization. I don't expect the Jazz to be any better than that this year given Haydick's departure but...the 1:1 contracts Amigo disdains and ignores the Plan B that DL and team had in place. The Jazz are going to be really competitive this season and have like the second largest amount of cap space if they don't re-up the 1:1's. That will hardly be spent on unpromising talent, be that homegrown or otherwise. If Ex and Hood deserve a re-up at tall numbers that is because they are that good. If not, DL has plenty of options.

I did not ignore the 1+1 contracts and what they mean. In fact, I addressed the issue directly several times. Will the Jazz spend their cap space next season on players with zero talent? Of course not. But they're not going to be able to spend it on players of the same level of Hayward, who just left. The Jazz don't have many options. They could either spend their money on retaining their current players, or spend it in free agency, where we know they aren't an attractive destination for top-tier (or even 2nd-tier) talent. Or some mix of the two. That's just a fact, based on the Jazz's off-season history. If anyone wants to dispute it, then by all means, present evidence to the contrary.

Which is why Hayward should have been traded. Esp since Locke said there was a Hayward for #3 pick Porzingas on the table and the Jazz declined.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#1962 » by Tom349 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:30 am

The Jazz would have been a 60 win team had they been healthy last season, if DL took any gamble that is it. Hoping a team led by Gobert and Hayward would be able to push a fit Golden State and potentially defeat a unfit Golden State (one Kevin Durant injury away from it being a possibility). The Jazz can't afford to buy a super team and can't afford to tank for year on year in the hope that eventually you build a super team. Their best bet is to build a team good enough that in the event that higher ranked teams have their own misfortune the Jazz are good enough to beat them.

Whilst it is better to build a winning culture known for it's development of players and looking after its players then it is to tank and develop a losing culture. That not to say you can't tank it just means that you don't set out to tank, if Gobert went down for the year and one or two others required surgery thats your opportunity to get the best draft pick possible (something we should have done in 2015/16 season). But you don't set out at the start of the season looking for the best draft pick.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#1963 » by Rauxcee » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:37 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Winglish wrote:I have to respectfully disagree about the season being a complete waste. I have not held out hope for a championship since Karl Malone left town. I have enjoyed most of the seasons, though.

For me it is about every individual game. The enjoyment of the game is the point of it. The WORST seasons were the losing seasons! I hated the Corbin years!

That's strange, since Corbin only had one losing season, if we exclude the season in which he took over Sloan halfway through, and the Jazz traded Deron:

2011-2012: 36-30, playoffs
2012-2013: 43-39
2013-2014: 25-57

Synder hasn't achieved much better results than Corbin, sad to say. Until the Jazz decided to tank in 2013-2014 (and did a poor job at it, I might add), they had a winning team. But you just said you hated those years. Which means, you can have a winning team and still not enjoy the team. I don't think many people enjoyed the Corbin years, even though the team won more than it lost.

Winglish wrote:With the current core and a good coach in Quinn Snyder I think the Jazz have enough to win more than they lose. I hope for exciting games more than anything. I think it will be a very enjoyable season.

This is exactly the recipe of the Corbin years - to win more than you lose, while being stuck in the middle. I can enjoy watching players develop and grow even when the team is losing, if I know the team has a plan for the future like getting into the high lottery while doing so. It's a subjective thing, to each his own and all that. But I can't stand treadmill teams, which is what the Jazz are and had been for a while.

I'm with Winglish on this. For me there is a difference between now and the Corbin years (Which are the only years of basketball I've "skipped" in 20 years). The difference for me is during the Corbin years- that team had plateaued and reached it's ceiling. It was trending downward and was never going to be more than a first round exit. What's worse, we were giving playtime to vets who were clearly not part of the teams future instead of developing young players. The Corbin years were painful and completely devoid of enjoyment or entertainment.

Presently, this team hasn't met it's ceiling yet. Granted, the ceiling probably isn't championship but it's higher than what is was with Corbin. There is more young talent on this team with potential than what Corbin had. This team is looking up. Additionally, Snyder is playing and developing the young players (with the exception of Exum being off/on which I'm not really complaining about). Last season was the first really enjoyable and exciting team for me in close to 7-8 years. So it wasn't a waste to me and it was worth it. I'm still excited about the future.

That being said, as a fan, I came to terms about this team's chances of winning a championship long ago. I think the FO wants to win a championship and will do everything they can to win. But I also think they are realistic about the chances of it happening. Which is basically when pigs fly, hell freezes over, and the stars align. For the Jazz to win they would have to draft 2 superstars and hope that they win it all before they hit UFA. Otherwise the players will bolt. We know we aren't going to sign any top talent so if they aren't drafted, then we have to trade for a top talent, hope it doesn't gut the team, and that the Jazz win it all before they hit UFA. It's very unlikely the Jazz will be able to draft/trade for that talent. I accept that. In the meantime I'd like the FO to field as competitive a team as possible. Once we've plateaued for 2-3 seasons, blow it up and start over. I'm no fan of treadmill teams either, but it's either that or be in a perpetual rebuild forever. It's the sad state of affairs being a fan of this team- they can't attract/keep the quality of players needed to win. That should be no surprise to anyone.
EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#1964 » by EuropeanBball » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:34 pm

I think this will be great move for both NMG and Utah. Williams-Goss will have a chance to play in best basketball competition after NBA (Crvena Zvezda is playing in Euroleague) & Utah will still hold his draft rights.

Read on Twitter
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#1965 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:27 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Which is why Hayward should have been traded. Esp since Locke said there was a Hayward for #3 pick Porzingas on the table and the Jazz declined.

That's crazy if true. Any source?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#1966 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:34 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Which is why Hayward should have been traded. Esp since Locke said there was a Hayward for #3 pick Porzingas on the table and the Jazz declined.

Locke said it on his podcast. I'd have to go back and find the exact one. It was recently in his comments about Hayward leaving.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#1967 » by stitches » Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Locke has said the Jazz were pushing strongly to get in place to draft Porzingis, but New York wanted Hayward and Favors or something of the sort.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#1968 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:37 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Locke has said the Jazz were pushing strongly to get in place to draft Porzingis, but New York wanted Hayward and Favors or something of the sort.

On his podcast in the not recent past he has said that NY wanted a package fans would not be happy about. It's the same line he said about the supposed Millsap for Dame trade that was in the table. On the recent podcast he said the trade for Porzingas was for Hayward.

You could be right Stitches that the proposed trade was for both Hayward and Favs. Locke didn't mention that in his recent remarks, but it doesn't mean that Favs wasn't in the deal. And it would have been a hard pill to swallow at the time for both Hayward and Favs for Porzingas and I can see why he passed. But it would have been the right move.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#1969 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:33 pm

I remember such comments a year or so ago, and I can't fault the Jazz for passing at the time and not trading Hayward and Favors, if that was the proposed deal. That seems like way too much for the 4th pick. If it was only one of them though, there would have been room for discussion, at least for me.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#1970 » by Jingles2 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 1:52 am

I don't know if Love is available, but I really really want him. I would offer up Favors, Johnson, Hood, and a future pick for Love and Richard Jefferson. If that wasn't enough I might even part with Bradley too. Then I would have Exum start at the two and Mitchell back him up, but both would see time at the one as well.

Rubio, Neto
Exum, Mitchell, Burks
Ingles, Sefolosha, Jefferson, O'Neale
Love, Jerebko, Bolomboy
Gobert, Udoh, Bradley
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1971 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:42 am

I have to disagree with some of the points you made.
Inigo Montoya wrote:A few things:

While it's true the Celtics had no reason to give the Jazz a trade exception, they also had no reason not to. It wouldn't have mattered to them, they'd lose nothing by doing so, and the only way it would have ended up mattering for them is if we met in the finals and a trade exception helped us get there, which wasn't going to happen. When Boozer left the Jazz for the Bulls, the Bulls gave the Jazz a trade exception even though they didn't have to do that. They did it out of courtesy and due to KOC's good relations with other FOs around the league. The Jazz then managed to use that trade exception to get Big Al, and it didn't affect the Bulls in any way, just like it wouldn't have affected the Celtics in any way.

The Boozer situation did not happen under the same CBA we have now. The Jazz didn't get a trade exception out of courtesy or relationships that KOC had built. The Jazz got a trade exception because the Bulls could pay Boozer more money if they did so. Back then a player could get better raises through S&T, enough to make a difference. They all but removed that incentive in this CBA.

And yes the Celtics do have a reason to not give away things for free. All 30 teams in this league are competing against each other. Giving away free advantages to your competitors, even if it doesn't "cost" you anything, is incompetence. You just don't give opponents free advantages, sorry.

I would agree that the Jazz inclined media reaction was unrealistic, when it came to thinking the Celtics owe us something for stealing Hayward so they should send us Crowder or other assets. But when it comes to a trade exception, it would have meant nothing for the Celtics to do it. The bigger point though, is that the Jazz lost Hayward for absolutely nothing, not even a trade exception. And no, a playoff appearance doesn't count, especially when said playoff appearance was a means to an end--being convincing Hayward to stay--which didn't achieve what it was set out to achieve...

The playoff appearance absolutely does count. It counts as a playoff series. What that's worth to you is your own opinion, but it did happen, and it certainly counts for more than hope that something that hasn't happened yet.

Yes, once Hayward hit free agency, no team had any incentive to give anything for him. That is why he should have been traded before he hit free agency. Consider this:

Let's put aside the previous Hayward free agency for a moment (so we won't get off-topic). But with this current one, we all knew he'll get the max from any team that would end up signing him. Now, the guy would actually lose money (from his contract, anyway) if he chooses to go to another team. He'd forgo a 5th year, and will get smaller annual increases to his deal. He knows the Jazz will give him the max. And he still refuses to sign with them and chooses to go to free agency. And the Jazz knew he'll go to free agency. What is that if not a huge red flag that the guy is in serious danger of bolting?

I could use this argument against you, and quite honestly it makes more sense that way. You don't actually know that Hayward has rejected you until he's rejected you. Having an advantage such as offering more guaranteed money is a reason you'd be more willing to into UFA. That's an advantage, and therefore you should be more confident in your chances than if you didn't have the advantage. I have no idea how having an advantage in UFA means that you should have been more afraid of going to UFA.

So yes, the Jazz should have traded him a year ago, or before the trade deadline. The Jazz knew for a while that they'll put the team's ownership into a blind trust--it doesn't happen in a day. It's a process that takes time, so they knew they aren't going anywhere, so any argument about how trading Hayward might affect the Jazz staying in SLC is not relevant imho. Look at the result--Hayward still left and they're not going anywhere. So the result of him leaving was the same, only the Jazz are in a worse place for it for getting nothing for it. And if hope is what keeps the league running, well, how is that working for the Jazz, comparing the hope for a team with Hayward to a team without him and with nothing for him?

Regardless of whether the team is leaving or not, having empty stadiums and no relevance in the local community is a big deal. You are asking your people to pay for something they didn't care about at the time. I don't want to sound precious or anything, but I don't think you can understand how low interest in the Jazz was unless you are a local.

It's a far cry difference from the Jazz craze that last season amounted to. While you may not care about a first round series against the Clippers, this state certainly did. There was a ton of excitement around this team. It wasn't worth nothing, and you also have to remember that the Jazz thought they had a chance a resigning Hayward. If they were able to keep him, this next 5 years would have had plenty of winning. Enough to satisfy you? That's up to you. But it's beyond where the Jazz were comfortable being.

The answer, unfortunately, is that it works for the Jazz very well. No matter how many times they keep letting good, valuable players walk for nothing, which sets them back considerably, many fans still hold on some unrealistic hope and convince themselves that everything is just great, or that the Jazz is in an even better position, which allows the Jazz to keep peddle their company line of puppies and rainbows while cutting corners with rebuilding the team and churning out mediocrity. Look no further than what they did this season. They brought a bunch of role players on a 1+1 deal, which means they're likely gone next season anyway and that the Jazz isn't relying on them long-term. They're just here to help the Jazz chase the 8th seed this year, and then they'll likely be gone. Outside of development of young players--which will happen anyway but maybe not as much since the Jazz are looking to compete for a playoff seed--this coming season is going to be a complete waste of time. We're not going anywhere next year and we know it.

I do not think the Jazz are in a good position, my reasoning is not based on that. On top of that, I actually see the hope argument the other way around. We know what we got with Hayward last season. That's guaranteed success because it actually happened. Hope comes in when you think you would have been better off doing something else. If you trade Hayward before last season, you have zero percent chance of resigning, and you're in essentially the same situation that we are in now but a year early. You would have whatever you got for Hayward, but we are seeing what "stars" are yielding through trade. The rumored deal offered was Knight and Bender. If we had Knight and #4 are we really in that much better of a spot? Rumors are just rumors, and again that's why I see the hope argument going the other way. You're assuming that good things would have happened if Hayward was traded.

You can hope that the young players are heading towards somewhere, but you don't know where that is. The Deron Williams trade was considered a knockout in terms of return, but in the end it didn't really amount to much. The success the Jazz had last season was essentially independent of the Deron Williams return. One legged Favors was the only thing that contributed from that trade, and while he was certainly key in the playoffs, it shows that the return isn't always as much as you would have hoped. In the end it's really just hope vs hope. Hope that Hayward resigns versus hope that Hayward's return does something better.

I'd also say that developing players, and then trading them before they become UFA perpetuates exactly what you are speaking against. Continuously trading your good players for younger ones is a perpetual treadmill of mediocrity. You see the problem as letting talent walk away for nothing. I see the problem as the talent walking away in the first place. In order to have a good team, you have to have your developed talent stay. That's impossible to do if you unwilling to risk it and trade them away every time.

BTW, the treadmill of mediocrity is way overblown. Take a look at the 16 playoff teams from last season. I count two that were built off the backs of drafting top 5 picks. Good GM's will make good moves regardless of where there team is in the standings. Bad GM's will do the opposite. Do we have a good GM? I'd say we have a very hit and miss GM that is pushing a clear agenda from ownership.

Anyways, we've gone off on too many tangents. I think this started with blaming DL for not getting anything for Hayward. My key opinions on that: 1) The Celtics are not giving away anything for free. If you think that you are being an idiot. 2) If you wanted the Jazz to trade Hayward beforehand, you need to point fingers in more directions than just DL. That has way more to do with ownership than the GM. The Millers were not going to sign off on trading Hayward. They were going to want to take the success of last season and take their chances in FA. 3) The botched extension is way bigger deal than the decision to trade/not to trade Hayward. If we're being realistic here, trading Hayward was never an option.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#1972 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:46 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:It might be a little bit painful, but I think it is important to keep in mind that Utah is not a destination in most NBA players minds. Even when the Jazz had Stockton and Malone players didn't want to come and play here. The Jazz FO, much more than we, are probably aware of many instances where free agent signings or trades didn't happen as the player didn't want to come to Utah. Taking the Hayward situation in that light, they had to try to keep a player like him given the circumstances. It is unfortunate, I don't like how it played out, but I don't blame the FO for losing Hayward for nothing. In fact, I think that they did pretty well getting who they did to fit with the team after the bulk of free agency was over.

I don't give the Jazz a pass for everything they do, however. They royally screwed up the coaching situation and player development and trading possibilities after Sloan left.

However, things are on a good track at the moment and if the West weren't so loaded due to the recent player movement, the Jazz would be a solid playoff team. I still expect them to make the playoffs, but having home court advantage and getting to the second round are pretty high bars given the circumstances.

I agree, except that I don't necessarily like what they did after Hayward made his decision. Again, I don't think this is a FO decision as much as it is ownership, but I don't like the direction. This summer post Hayward was Salvage, Salvage, Salvage. DL did a decent job of doing that, but I wouldn't be tunneled on this seasons record. A bunch of short term, low upside moves is not the approach I would take.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#1973 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 7, 2017 2:48 am

Tom349 wrote:The Jazz would have been a 60 win team had they been healthy last season, if DL took any gamble that is it. Hoping a team led by Gobert and Hayward would be able to push a fit Golden State and potentially defeat a unfit Golden State (one Kevin Durant injury away from it being a possibility). The Jazz can't afford to buy a super team and can't afford to tank for year on year in the hope that eventually you build a super team. Their best bet is to build a team good enough that in the event that higher ranked teams have their own misfortune the Jazz are good enough to beat them.

Whilst it is better to build a winning culture known for it's development of players and looking after its players then it is to tank and develop a losing culture. That not to say you can't tank it just means that you don't set out to tank, if Gobert went down for the year and one or two others required surgery thats your opportunity to get the best draft pick possible (something we should have done in 2015/16 season). But you don't set out at the start of the season looking for the best draft pick.

It is risk vs risk. The Jazz were where they wanted to be, and they took their chances with Hayward instead of trading him and hoping that they'd return to the same spot.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#1974 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:26 am

KqWIN wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:It might be a little bit painful, but I think it is important to keep in mind that Utah is not a destination in most NBA players minds. Even when the Jazz had Stockton and Malone players didn't want to come and play here. The Jazz FO, much more than we, are probably aware of many instances where free agent signings or trades didn't happen as the player didn't want to come to Utah. Taking the Hayward situation in that light, they had to try to keep a player like him given the circumstances. It is unfortunate, I don't like how it played out, but I don't blame the FO for losing Hayward for nothing. In fact, I think that they did pretty well getting who they did to fit with the team after the bulk of free agency was over.

I don't give the Jazz a pass for everything they do, however. They royally screwed up the coaching situation and player development and trading possibilities after Sloan left.

However, things are on a good track at the moment and if the West weren't so loaded due to the recent player movement, the Jazz would be a solid playoff team. I still expect them to make the playoffs, but having home court advantage and getting to the second round are pretty high bars given the circumstances.

I agree, except that I don't necessarily like what they did after Hayward made his decision. Again, I don't think this is a FO decision as much as it is ownership, but I don't like the direction. This summer post Hayward was Salvage, Salvage, Salvage. DL did a decent job of doing that, but I wouldn't be tunneled on this seasons record. A bunch of short term, low upside moves is not the approach I would take.

They got a wing player, promising back up big and a stretch 4. That is what the team needed, and the cupboard was pretty bare the second week of FA.

I think that the only thing that perhaps I would have done differently is taken chances on young, diamond in the rough players, perhaps even waiting to sign a player who gets cut after Fall camp, instead of someone like Thabo. What else would you have done?

Next summer will be interesting to see what they do with their NG contracts and cap. At least DL set himself up for some flexibility next summer.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#1975 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 7, 2017 5:04 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

They got a wing player, promising back up big and a stretch 4. That is what the team needed, and the cupboard was pretty bare the second week of FA.

I think that the only thing that perhaps I would have done differently is taken chances on young, diamond in the rough players, perhaps even waiting to sign a player who gets cut after Fall camp, instead of someone like Thabo. What else would you have done?

Next summer will be interesting to see what they do with their NG contracts and cap. At least DL set himself up for some flexibility next summer.

I think he did fine as far as maximizing this year's win total, but I would have preferred 3 Hinkie specials instead. If you hit on one, you have a great asset moving forward. Instead they tried to salvage...which could have been seen coming a mile away. Ownership/FO wants to do anything they can to make the playoffs. That's the agenda of this franchise, which again shows how unrealistic a Hayward trade was.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#1976 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:54 pm

Nice piece about why the Jazz will be fun to watch this year. It is a month old but still holds up. http://saltcityhoops.com/why-this-seasons-jazz-will-be-more-fun-to-watch/. Count me in on the pending excitement!
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#1977 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 am

Congrats to all of you who posted on this thread. I haven't checked, but it is very possibly the longest thread in the history of the board, by far. We're about to hit 100 pages!

:rockon:

You can continue to post, this thread won't be locked until the start of the regular season.

Jingles2
Junior

Post#1978 » by Jingles2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Here is a super wishful thinking trade to happen before the deadline and requires Wiggins to have signed his 5 year max extension. I don't see this happening (except in my dreams) unless something spectacular occurs like Wiggins and Butler are just a really bad combination AND the Warriors really really want to keep McCaw (who I suspect will get offers of 12 plus million a year next summer) and get him more playing time.

Jazz get Wiggins
Warriors get Hood, JoeJohnson, and Jamal Crawford (get a couple vets their rings)
Wolves get Favors, Exum and Klay Thompson

Why for the Jazz? Wiggins is our starting 3 and we slide Ingles to the starting stretch 4, leaving plenty of minutes for Mitchell and Burks at the 2. We can also go big and slide Wiggins to the 2, Ingles to the 3, and Udoh/Jerebko to the 4. I envision a starting lineup of Rubio, Mitchell, Wiggins, Ingles, and Gobert. All our starters except Rubio would be locked up for at least 4 years. We lose a little depth, but should still be deep enough with Neto, Burks, Sefolosha, Jerebko, and Udoh as rotation players. If Rubio goes down we can also slide Mitchell to the one and use Ingles as a point forward. We would probably be a little worse next year, but that would also improve our draft pick.

Why for the Wolves? They get Favors, Thompson and Exum (hopefully for the long hall), but mainly because Thompson next to Butler should be a better fit than Wiggins/Butler and Favors expiring gives them more money to lock up Towns to a max next year. Teague, Thompson, Butler, Favors, and Towns to be backed up by Jones, Exum, Bjelica, Gibson, and Dieng.

Why for the Warriors? Simply money and probably a future draft pick. They want to re-sign McCaw and get him more playing time next year. They could start Hood, McCaw, Crawford, Young Livingston or Iguodala at the 2 in place of Thompson. Plenty deep and plenty of options.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#1979 » by AingesBurner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Jingles2 wrote:Here is a super wishful thinking trade to happen before the deadline and requires Wiggins to have signed his 5 year max extension. I don't see this happening (except in my dreams) unless something spectacular occurs like Wiggins and Butler are just a really bad combination AND the Warriors really really want to keep McCaw (who I suspect will get offers of 12 plus million a year next summer) and get him more playing time.

Jazz get Wiggins
Warriors get Hood, JoeJohnson, and Jamal Crawford (get a couple vets their rings)

Why for the Jazz? Wiggins is our starting 3 and we slide Ingles to the starting stretch 4, leaving plenty of minutes for Mitchell and Burks at the 2. We can also go big and slide Wiggins to the 2, Ingles to the 3, and Udoh/Jerebko to the 4. I envision a starting lineup of Rubio, Mitchell, Wiggins, Ingles, and Gobert. All our starters except Rubio would be locked up for at least 4 years. We lose a little depth, but should still be deep enough with Neto, Burks, Sefolosha, Jerebko, and Udoh as rotation players. If Rubio goes down we can also slide Mitchell to the one and use Ingles as a point forward. We would probably be a little worse next year, but that would also improve our draft pick.

Why for the Wolves? They get Favors, Thompson and Exum (hopefully for the long hall), but mainly because Thompson next to Butler should be a better fit than Wiggins/Butler and Favors expiring gives them more money to lock up Towns to a max next year. Teague, Thompson, Butler, Favors, and Towns to be backed up by Jones, Exum, Bjelica, Gibson, and Dieng.

Why for the Warriors? Simply money and probably a future draft pick. They want to re-sign McCaw and get him more playing time next year. They could start Hood, McCaw, Crawford, Young Livingston or Iguodala at the 2 in place of Thompson. Plenty deep and plenty of options.

Thats too much for Wiggins IMO, and Klay has more value, feels like the Jazz would get cut out or cut themselves out.
Ingles is cooked.
Jingles2
Junior

Post#1980 » by Jingles2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:37 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Jingles2 wrote:Here is a super wishful thinking trade to happen before the deadline and requires Wiggins to have signed his 5 year max extension. I don't see this happening (except in my dreams) unless something spectacular occurs like Wiggins and Butler are just a really bad combination AND the Warriors really really want to keep McCaw (who I suspect will get offers of 12 plus million a year next summer) and get him more playing time.

Jazz get Wiggins

Thats too much for Wiggins IMO, and Klay has more value, feels like the Jazz would get cut out or cut themselves out.

I don't think that's too much for Wiggins and the reason is because they are all on the last year of their contracts and at most we could bring back two at the price of Wiggins (30 million a year). You are right that Klay is worth more than that and it may take a pick or two, but this is just wishful thinking anyway and is very unlikely to happen. I thought maybe Favors to warriors instead of Johnson and Johnson to Wolves might work better than my initial proposal though.

Return to Utah Jazz