Donovan Mitchell Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,683

Re: Donovan Mitchell Thread 

Post#21 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Somebody on another thread said that George Hill was a good comparison for Donovan Mitchell in terms of physical measurements. Looking at pre-draft measurements, there are indeed some similarities:

George Hill from Draft Express: Height no shoes - 6' 1.25", Height shoes - 6' 2.5", Weight - 181 lbs, Wingspan - 6' 9", Standing reach - 8' 1.5", No step vertical - 34", Max Vertical - 37.5". Separately, his NBADraft.net overall score is 91.

Mitchell from Draft Express: Height no shoes - 6' 1.25", Height shoes - 6' 3", Weight - 211 lbs, Wingspan - 6' 10", Standing reach - 8' 1", No step vertical - 36.5", Max Vertical - 40.5". Separately, his NBADraft.net overall score is 91.

Note: NBADraft.net lists Mitchell's Standing Reach at 8' 4" rather than the 8' 1" listed at Draft Express.

I can't recall where I saw it, but Hill had a pre draft body fat percentage of 3% and Mitchell has one listed at 5.9% from the NBA combine. 5.9% is still very good and I expect Mitchell to put his 211 pounds to good use. I have never felt George Hill was undersized defending either guard position, and I don't expect that we will find Mitchell to be undersized guarding either guard position. Go Jazz!!!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#22 » by pickIBL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I think you guys are on the right track on the comparisons in terms of potential. There was nothing wrong with the pick. hopefully he and dante keep scrubs off the floor
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,024

Post#23 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Anticipating that the Jazz might be able to sign Patrick Beverley, I have been watching some vids of him, and I think that Mitchell is probably a bigger, more athletic version of Beverley. Kind of a mash up of Beverley, Avery Bradley and Eric Gordon.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#24 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:48 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Anticipating that the Jazz might be able to sign Patrick Beverley, I have been watching some vids of him, and I think that Mitchell is probably a bigger, more athletic version of Beverley. Kind of a mash up of Beverley, Avery Bradley and Eric Gordon.

He was just traded to the Clips, so trading for him seems off the table. Unless you're talking about signing him after his contract expires next year.

But I agree that he could be a nice fit with the Jazz.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#25 » by mudsak » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Winglish wrote:1. Rodney Hood was a steal. If he can get healthy he will come around. I think he is streaky but when Rod gets hot there is no stopping him. Some guys are streaky like that and you have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, so to speak. Mitchell brings another option to put into the game.

2. Donovan Mitchell is going to be a kick ass defender in the NBA for many years. His shooting form is beautiful, just gorgeous, but he seems to step into it rather than catching and shooting, so that is problematic as far as getting shots off quickly. Coaches will work with him on that ad nauseum.

I watch film of Mitchell and the thing that impresses me most about his shot is how fast he gets it off. His release is so fast...it's almost like Curry's shot.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#26 » by KDBG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Maybe I'm way too optimistic, but I think Donovan has superstar potential. He checks off almost all the boxes in terms of athleticism, shooting stroke, work ethic, and character. I also think his future is mainly at point guard. He just needs to get better with his decision making. But he's a late bloomer, so I can see him improving quickly.

I've heard Wade comparisons, but the one I saw that was intriguing was the Lillard comparison. I can actually see that, especially with his quick step back shot.

I know Exum and Mitchell will play together a lot playing interchangeably at the 1 and 2. But Exum is so damn adamant about only playing the 1. If Mitchell excels early, especially at the 1, I could see Exum getting really frustrated. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess we will get a first look at it in summer league.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#27 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm

According to reports, Donovan didn't know he was being traded to the Jazz when he got on the stage. Then when he sat down for his interview he saw it on the monitors and fist pumped, because he wanted to play for the Jazz.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#28 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 pm

stitches wrote:According to reports, Donovan didn't know he was being traded to the Jazz when he got on the stage. Then when he sat down for his interview he saw it on the monitors and fist pumped, because he wanted to play for the Jazz.

That sold me on Donovan right there. An intelligent player stoked to join the Jazz machine. Hopefully it sold Hay as well. Who wouldn't want to mentor that kid?
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#29 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jul 1, 2017 10:55 pm

BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#30 » by BudTugly » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:35 am

He better be real good to get time over Hood n Jingles. I wonder what they do with Burks.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#31 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:02 am

BudTugly wrote:He better be real good to get time over Hood n Jingles. I wonder what they do with Burks.

I honestly don't think Hood is a starter but instead stud off the bench with a short hook on nights he is off - which is 2 out of 3 games right now in his career. I can totally see Donovan, on a rookie contract, cutting into Hood's minutes and value. After all, the Jazz just re-signed Joe Ingles who was the starting 2 guard in the playoffs last time we checked in. I am not a Hood fan as a starter but love the guy on the bench and rotation player. At this point in his career he is CJ Miles. CJ is in demand as a 3-baller and bench guy. That is not a fail on Hood's part - many millions ahead. I think Dante and Ingles put him firmly in the second unit. Which is good to have him there.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#32 » by BudTugly » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:24 am

Jingles is best coming off the bench IMO especially with Ricky here. I think Snyder will be juggling just like the first half of last year and we will see who wins the wing minutes behind Gordon (if he's here, praise Odin). All these guys have strengths and none of them except Joe has been dependable or consistent.

You hope some of these guys take a step this year.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#33 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:29 am

BudTugly wrote:Jingles is best coming off the bench IMO especially with Ricky here. I think Snyder will be juggling just like the first half of last year and we will see who wins the wing minutes behind Gordon (if he's here, praise Odin). All these guys have strengths and none of them except Joe has been dependable or consistent.

If Hayward stays then I will be raising my horn to Odin and Thor, I like Joe at the 4.
Ingles is cooked.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#34 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:43 am

GobertReport wrote:
BudTugly wrote:Jingles is best coming off the bench IMO especially with Ricky here. I think Snyder will be juggling just like the first half of last year and we will see who wins the wing minutes behind Gordon (if he's here, praise Odin). All these guys have strengths and none of them except Joe has been dependable or consistent.

If Hayward stays then I will be raising my horn to Odin and Thor, I like Joe at the 4.

Joe guarded 1-4 last year. He is a late bloomer with a bulldog attitude. Guy is coming into prime. I think we obsess on stats too much and those don't count a guy's full worth. Joe Ingles - poster child on that.

But no high jacks, this Donovan's thread. I predict above "expectations". Logged here on this day.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#35 » by Winglish » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:08 pm

Donovan Mitchell is getting GLOWING reviews from the Jazz practice facility. People are saying he is going to be a good one.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#36 » by stitches » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:50 pm

Winglish wrote:Donovan Mitchell is getting GLOWING reviews from the Jazz practice facility. People are saying he is going to be a good one.

He also has some twitter game :

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,683

Post#37 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 3:49 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Joe guarded 1-4 last year. He is a late bloomer with a bulldog attitude.

Joe's a late Boomer. :lol:
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#38 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:57 am

Ok, for those who had better holiday things to do. First SL game, 23 pts, 5 rbs, and 2 assists in 25 minutes. Ponder that. His assists should have been triple that but his buddies hit bricks on wide open shots on his assists. This kid is the real damn deal. The Jazz needed this shot in the arm - draft steal - and we got it. I have been an NBA fan for 40 years and sick Jazz fan as an adult for like 30 of those. Best. Draft. Pick. Ever. (Besides Rudy). Since Stockton. Not putting that Stock mantle on his head but holy ****, this guy is a serious baller. At this point I'm less concerned about Hay signing.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#39 » by BudTugly » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:32 am

stitches wrote:
Winglish wrote:Donovan Mitchell is getting GLOWING reviews from the Jazz practice facility. People are saying he is going to be a good one.

He also has some twitter game :

Read on Twitter

What life? Is that about religion?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,466

Post#40 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 4, 2017 11:24 am

Thug life. Joe Ingles is a G.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz