Donovan Mitchell Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Re: Donovan Mitchell Thread 

Post#201 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Luigi wrote:We need to see him in an actual NBA game before we get too high on this kid. He's gonna disappoint if we keep getting ahead of ourselves.

Thank you!

I like what I see & hear from him, but anointing him the next big thing, and a cornerstone to the franchise (with Rudy) before he ever steps on the court for real NBA minutes is a simple recipe for disappointment. He was the #13 pick and looked good in Summer League. Not something you typically turn into a R.O.Y. campaign on it's own.

I have confidence he'll be a nice player, but give it some time. If he's even a regular rotation player, that's a great season for where he was drafted.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#202 » by tleikheen » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Shooting ONLY 40% in SL is not Superstar #'s,not worthy of the next DWAde talk.Saying he could be 1st team All NBA defensive team his 1st year is juvenile and ridiculous talk.

Now lets talk about how he could be a exciting player with the Jazz,but 1st Jazz need to find a position for him.He looks 3rd string behind Rubio and Exum at PG and that also might be the case at SG ,playing behind Hood and a healthy Burks now .
Injuries will be his opening,which the Jazz have been unlucky to have for the last two years .
I dont want Jazz having 4 PG's this year or 4 SG's , Rubio,Exum,Hood,Burks,Mitchell will be good enough IMO.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#203 » by zero24gravity » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Mitchell was named the best rookie SG going into the season by this Bleacherreport article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732604-projecting-the-top-2017-18-nba-rookie-at-every-position
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#204 » by dr0welf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Mitchell was named the best rookie SG going into the season by this Bleacherreport article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732604-projecting-the-top-2017-18-nba-rookie-at-every-position

Dennis Smith Jr as the best PG this year according to that article is a little bit of a reach. Hard to see him outperforming Ball or Fultz. DS Jr is a good player don't get me wrong, but Ball will get all the hype and minutes to perform.

Spida Mitchell will definitely be the best SG in my biased opinion. Hope he can maintain his intensity for 82 games plus playoffs. Going to be tough.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#205 » by stitches » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:07 pm

dr0welf wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Mitchell was named the best rookie SG going into the season by this Bleacherreport article:

Dennis Smith Jr as the best PG this year according to that article is a little bit of a reach. Hard to see him outperforming Ball or Fultz. DS Jr is a good player don't get me wrong, but Ball will get all the hype and minutes to perform.

Spida Mitchell will definitely be the best SG in my biased opinion. Hope he can maintain his intensity for 82 games plus playoffs. Going to be tough.

keep in mind DSJ is going to be in a great situation. He will be in an OK team and his coach has already said that he will start. He's playing with popping Dirk who makes a lot of PGs look great because of the spacing he provides and he will be passing to a rolling Nerlens Noel. I actually really like their starting unit and I think DSJ fits it perfectly.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#206 » by KqWIN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 am

I have noticed that Donovan Mitchell gets more credit for shots that don't go in than any player I have every seen.
stitches
RealGM

Post#207 » by stitches » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 am

KqWIN wrote:I have noticed that Donovan Mitchell gets more credit for shots that don't go in than any player I have every seen.

What do you mean?

Like this one? 8-)
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#208 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:54 am

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I have noticed that Donovan Mitchell gets more credit for shots that don't go in than any player I have every seen.

What do you mean?

Like this one? 8-)

Trick shot? Donovan was working on a new move.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#209 » by KqWIN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 am

He should get double for this one:

Hikari
Starter
And1: 255

Post#210 » by Hikari » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:

What do you mean?

Like this one? 8-)

Trick shot? Donovan was working on a new move.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Super floater
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#211 » by AingesBurner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:56 pm

I have a feeling Donovan is going to be in the slam dunk contest.
Ingles is cooked.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#212 » by Hoops Addict » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:He should get double for this one:

Fast reaction.

Mitchell was first in the 3/4 court sprint....first!
#1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Speed kills...he can go 90% of max and still handle the ball....in control.
stitches
RealGM

Post#213 » by stitches » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

If we don't run this year I will be extremely disappointed. You cannot have Rubio, Mitchell, Dante, Alec and not run... it's such a waste... Hell, even Rudy runs better than most bigs in the league.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#214 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 am

stitches wrote:If we don't run this year I will be extremely disappointed. You cannot have Rubio, Mitchell, Dante, Alec and not run... it's such a waste... Hell, even Rudy runs better than most bigs in the league.

I think we should try to push the ball more but learn to slow it down and play half court ball when needed. We don't get out more with easy baskets it could become a very long year. Team ball and running with the best D in the league could lead to 50 plus wins again. Not thinking jazz will see a drop off just because stayward left us..Jazz will be balling again very soon. Team could became closer without freeward here next year. Stayward kill the jazz come crunch time way to many times and was really more like chokeward. :lol:
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#215 » by BudTugly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 am

stitches wrote:If we don't run this year I will be extremely disappointed. You cannot have Rubio, Mitchell, Dante, Alec and not run... it's such a waste... Hell, even Rudy runs better than most bigs in the league.

I challenge anybody to create a scenario in which Snyder is able to keep Ricky from running the break.

Lol, not about you just this bizarre attitude around here that coaches determine pace based upon a desire to undermine some players careers.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#216 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 am

Welcome to the wishcasting team. Not to run = stupid, no? Not talking 15 seconds or less offense - opportunistic runs off the best deflecting/stealing/ rb'ing team in the league. Half court O - who knows, definitely a question mark, but people are underselling the potential. I don't care which team you are, if you are in the top 3 defense a lot of points are possible on O.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
stitches
RealGM

Post#217 » by stitches » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 am

BudTugly wrote:

I challenge anybody to create a scenario in which Snyder is able to keep Ricky from running the break.

Lol, not about you just this bizarre attitude around here that coaches determine pace based upon a desire to undermine some players careers.

People forget that Snyder actually tried to run. If you guys remember when he came his biggest mantra was the tripple P - play with Pace, Play with Purpose, Play with the Pass. It just didn't work, we were losing like crazy that first half of the season. He didn't have the required pieces so he switched it up mid-way through and we started grinding it out when Rudy+Favs became a feature for the team.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#218 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 am

stitches wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

People forget that Snyder actually tried to run. If you guys remember when he came his biggest mantra was the tripple P - play with Pace, Play with Purpose, Play with the Pass. It just didn't work, we were losing like crazy that first half of the season. He didn't have the required pieces so he switched it up mid-way through and we started grinding it out when Rudy+Favs became a feature for the team.

Some of the slow down play was for Hayward to get his touches and Hill his. With Rick R running the show you can bet your bottom dollar the jazz will push the ball a LOT more this year.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#219 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 am

Quin chooses to grind out games because of Favors+Rudy, but another reason why our pace is so slow is because we pass the ball so much. Quin wants the ball to move, he wants everyone to touch it. Pace the number is how fast you shoot, but I'd say that Pace in real life is how quickly you get the ball up the floor. That has ALWAYS been a point of emphasis of Quin. Our Pace number has just as much if not more to do with our willingness to pass/shoot versus running (we also never run).

That might be the biggest change in our offense, but I'm not sure Quin will want to do it. If Rubio is going to be effective, he has to have the ball in his hands. Otherwise you are playing 4v5. But that goes against what Quin likes to do. He doesn't want to have one guy with the ball QB'ing the offense.

Who knows...maybe that is what he wants. That's the player that Shelvin Mack is, and he loved Mack.

What would be really disappointing is if we do not capitalize on turnovers or missed layups. Those are the two easiest ways to turn around and score in transition, but we are allergic to it. We have guys that can get into passing lanes, and our entire defensive gameplan was designed to funnel the opposing team into the best rim protector in the league. If the Jazz can't turn those opportunities into more easy buckets it's just bad coaching.

That, or Favors still doesn't want to run. It's a contract year, but Favors has never run the floor and I'll only believe it when I see it. He'd already be an all star if he did.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#220 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I have to think we run. Maybe not every lineup, but the "second" unit of Donovan, Exum, Joe/Hood, JJ/Jerebko, Favs/Udoh better freaking run.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Utah Jazz