Donovan Mitchell Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Donovan Mitchell Thread 

Post#521 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Story I heard about Donovan’s mom over the weekend:

There was a French foreign exchange high school student who helped with Don’s camp at Juan Diego. He got into a conversation with his mom and talked about how he misses his mom and wished he could go back and see her. After hearing this, Donovan’s mom helped organize and pay for a trip so the kid could see his family again.

I haven’t seen that random act of kindness reported anywhere...the community is so lucky to have them here.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#522 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:25 pm

This kindness and generosity can only be matched by the legendary Dario Saric stories that float online...
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#523 » by Luigi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Things are getting so white hot with Mitchell that I can't help but wonder if we're setting ourselves up for disappointment due to unrealistic expectations.

I think a realistic expectation is that he maintains his numbers that he had after his first two months of the season. So that would look like

21-23ppg 3-5rpg 4-5apg on around 43/34/78 shooting.

I'm hoping he improves his percentages a little this season, too.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,301

Post#524 » by babyjax13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:25 am

Luigi wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Things are getting so white hot with Mitchell that I can't help but wonder if we're setting ourselves up for disappointment due to unrealistic expectations.

I think a realistic expectation is that he maintains his numbers that he had after his first two months of the season. So that would look like

I'm just hoping that he proves that he can do what he did over the course of an entire season. But if I get more than that I'll be super excited.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#525 » by anish23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Luigi wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I'm just hoping that he proves that he can do what he did over the course of an entire season. But if I get more than that I'll be super excited.

Knowing his mindset and the kind of person he is, he is going to be a better basketball player in his Year 2. But then again, teams will prepare more for him, have gameplans and defences focusing on stopping him, so he will have to adjust, and it will be fun to watch.

I also TRULY hope Gobert can improve on the offensive end, we need it.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#526 » by KqWIN » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Just gotta hope he’s found time to play basketball during his world tour summer.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,075

Post#527 » by Rauxcee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 pm

KqWIN wrote:Just gotta hope he’s found time to play basketball during his world tour summer.

I'm low key worried about that.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#528 » by stitches » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 am

Don't worry, he's working out:
stitches
RealGM

Post#529 » by stitches » Tue Sep 4, 2018 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#530 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 4, 2018 4:41 pm

Post game is one of the last things I think Donovan needs. Looks cool on video though.
stitches
RealGM

Post#531 » by stitches » Tue Sep 4, 2018 5:23 pm

KqWIN wrote:Post game is one of the last things I think Donovan needs. Looks cool on video though.

If ISO/on-ball offense is the future of the league(short term) post ups might be good option if he can get that shot to fall with regularity.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#532 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 4, 2018 5:58 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Post game is one of the last things I think Donovan needs. Looks cool on video though.

If ISO/on-ball offense is the future of the league(short term) post ups might be good option if he can get that shot to fall with regularity.

Maybe if he was 6’7. He’s always gonna be one of the smallest players on the floor. Pull up jumper when the defender is on his heals would be the best way to beat switches imo.
stitches
RealGM

Post#533 » by stitches » Tue Sep 4, 2018 7:37 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Maybe if he was 6’7. He’s always gonna be one of the smallest players on the floor. Pull up jumper when the defender is on his heals would be the best way to beat switches imo.

True, but having a video of him working on his post game doesn't mean he's not working on other aspects of his game. Him having post game is better than him not having it.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#534 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 4, 2018 7:50 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:If ISO/on-ball offense is the future of the league(short term) post ups might be good option if he can get that shot to fall with regularity.

True, but having a video of him working on his post game doesn't mean he's not working on other aspects of his game. Him having post game is better than him not having it.

Unless he uses it when he’s bad at it. Not worried though. I bet we see <10 post ups this season.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#535 » by zero24gravity » Tue Sep 4, 2018 8:08 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Unless he uses it when he’s bad at it. Not worried though. I bet we see <10 post ups this season.

He's not small when he gets matched up with a PG, especially with his long arms. I don't suspect it'll be something he does often (ala D-Will), but I could see him doing a little bit of post work in certain situations. Never a problem to add weapons to your arsenal.
anish23
Lead Assistant

Post#536 » by anish23 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 8:49 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

him playing with a pg in the post and then initiating the offence once in a while isn't that bad, we have Favors who can somewhat play in the post, Gobert isn't a guy u can drop the ball down to, it'd be good to have Mitch work on post game as well, not saying its gona be a regular play to run but why not.

im sure he is working on all aspects tho,,, can't wait for the guys to come together and start practising. im so ****** excited for this upcoming season.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#537 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:12 pm

If Mitchell is willing to work on his game at 5am, he has great work ethic and dedication.

Read on Twitter
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#538 » by pickIBL » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:14 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

I see a little mj/kobe in this.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
anish23
Lead Assistant

Post#539 » by anish23 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 am

So as per his interview (on the off-season thread) he is still not cleared for 5 on 5. And we are only a month away from season tip-off. :X
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#540 » by zero24gravity » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 pm

10 under the radar NBA MVP candidates

1st on the list ....

Donovan Mitchell, guard, Utah Jazz

Mitchell’s excellence as a rookie was somewhat undermined by a ridiculous vote that enabled Ben Simmons to become the NBA’s most recent Rookie of the Year. While the comparisons were strong, Simmons was actually drafted back in 2016. This award should have been handed to Mitchell with no questions asked.

There’s good news here. The 22-year-old Mitchell might be shooting for an even greater distinction this season. After leading a 48-win Jazz team in scoring last season, Mitchell’s presence among the top young players in the NBA is already cemented. His ability to star on the game’s grandest of stages for a team that had lost franchise stalwart Gordon Hayward months earlier tells us a story of a man that will vie for multiple MVP awards when all is said and done. That could start during the 2018-19 campaign.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/10-under-the-radar-nba-mvp-candidates/ar-BBOaGxm?OCID=DELLDHP

Return to Utah Jazz