Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Hood is now our go to guy 

Post#81 » by KqWIN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm

stitches wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
stitches wrote:This might sound weird, but Hood is actually pretty good at tough shot making. What he seems to struggle a lot with is off-ball offense. His scoring efficiency on cuts, hand-offs, coming off-screens needs to improve a lot.

For clarification, you are saying that he is pretty good at creating and knocking down his own shot, correct? If so, that is great news. Most NBA players are not very efficient at that. The other things you mentioned, scoring off cuts, hand-offs and screens are skills more easily developed than creating your own shot, so hopefully he will improve on those latter things, especially knowing that we now have an ace PG who can deliver the ball at the right time and place. Go Jazz!!!

Yes, he's been one of the best players in the league with on-ball offense since the moment he entered the league. That's isolations, postups and as a PnR ballhandler. Last year his iso-numbers dropped a bit, but overall he's been incredible in all of those for the duration of his career. The last couple of years the only player that was as good as him in all of those purely efficiency-wise was Kawhi.

He still can't be a lead guy until he can find easy baskets. That's the key. You can't live off of tough shots, it's essentially the same argument as long 2's versus layups and threes.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#82 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
For clarification, you are saying that he is pretty good at creating and knocking down his own shot, correct? If so, that is great news. Most NBA players are not very efficient at that. The other things you mentioned, scoring off cuts, hand-offs and screens are skills more easily developed than creating your own shot, so hopefully he will improve on those latter things, especially knowing that we now have an ace PG who can deliver the ball at the right time and place. Go Jazz!!!

Yes, he's been one of the best players in the league with on-ball offense since the moment he entered the league. That's isolations, postups and as a PnR ballhandler. Last year his iso-numbers dropped a bit, but overall he's been incredible in all of those for the duration of his career. The last couple of years the only player that was as good as him in all of those purely efficiency-wise was Kawhi.

He still can't be a lead guy until he can find easy baskets. That's the key. You can't live off of tough shots, it's essentially the same argument as long 2's versus layups and threes.

The way I see Hood being effective is very similar to JJ in the post-ish area. He backs him man down and gets that little floater. And Quins plan works well with Hood doing this because it's all about matchups. The problem is that the main defender is going to go to Hood and not Hayward now. So, I hope Ingles is also practicing the ISO with the smaller player. Because whomever has the smaller "sg" guarding either Ingles or Hood will get the ISO after the screens. If either Ingles or Hood struggle it's going to be an issue. It's also important Donovan and Exum are ready for that role with the 2nd/1.5 unit.

I'd love to see the stats, but in my head all I see Hood doing is spot up shooting or ISO at the top the key and backing his man down. He rarely took the ball and just went to work as in driving or making a play ala Harden, Hayward, Bron, or a million other playmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#83 » by KqWIN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Yes, he's been one of the best players in the league with on-ball offense since the moment he entered the league. That's isolations, postups and as a PnR ballhandler. Last year his iso-numbers dropped a bit, but overall he's been incredible in all of those for the duration of his career. The last couple of years the only player that was as good as him in all of those purely efficiency-wise was Kawhi.

The way I see Hood being effective is very similar to JJ in the post-ish area. He backs him man down and gets that little floater. And Quins plan works well with Hood doing this because it's all about matchups. The problem is that the main defender is going to go to Hood and not Hayward now. So, I hope Ingles is also practicing the ISO with the smaller player. Because whomever has the smaller "sg" guarding either Ingles or Hood will get the ISO after the screens. If either Ingles or Hood struggle it's going to be an issue. It's also important Donovan and Exum are ready for that role with the 2nd/1.5 unit.

I'd love to see the stats, but in my head all I see Hood doing is spot up shooting or ISO at the top the key and backing his man down. He rarely took the ball and just went to work as in driving or making a play ala Harden, Hayward, Bron, or a million other playmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

He's going to have to do that, or he's going to have a tough time being efficient. Those guys all make tough shots, but they're also getting a good amount of dunks, layups, and free throws every game. Joe was successful without doing that, but it's very rare and he's also strong as hell. Joe is a bully in the post, and that isn't how Hood plays.

I don't see him being a very effective post player, especially at the level of Joe Johnson. That's not been a large part of his game so far and he won't have the strength advantage. Like you said, he's going to go against the tougher defender now. The one area where I can see him being special is shooting the three off the dribble. Taking a 3 off the high PnR is almost unguardable and has become a cheap way to earn 3 FT's.

The one guy off the top of my head who can really score in today's game without getting shots at the rim is McCollum. His mid range game is simply at another level to Hood or anyone else in the league. You just don't find good scorers low FT and Rim rate.

If I were to bring up one guy that he could mimick, it would be Brad Beal. Their career stories are somewhat similar, the difference being that Beal broke out. Like Hood, Beal was a guy who looked better than he actually was. He was making tough shots in the midrange, but never could find consistency with his game or health. Last year was his year. He started to move away from that mid range game and started taking more three's and getting to line. He diversified his game and made his 3 ball the main point of attack. I think Hood has the talent to get there, but the first thing that has to come is health. Then he has to have the confidence. Beal always thought he was going to be this good, I'm not sure Hood feels the same way about himself.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#84 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:13 am

Come to think of it, WAS has a lot of similarities to Utah. We talk about OKC, Philly, and SAS models, but WAS is really the one we are following. They have one star who was able to put them in the 40-46 win range with average help. Everything came together for Beal, and Otto Porter became one of the best/most valuable role players. That allowed them to go one step further, and it was enough to convince Wall to commit long term. Now they're locked into a core with a high floor/low ceiling.

As unexciting as that sounds, that's what the Jazz leadership is looking for. Rudy's our star and he's good enough to keep us average. Becoming above average is dependent on major internal development, whether that comes from Hood, Exum, Mitchell, Favors, or Rubio. If one or two of them take the leaps that Porter and Beal did, the Jazz will be back into the spot they want to be for a long time. Conference imbalance aside, that's essentially where WAS is. These next 4 years will be laser focused on keeping Gobert in Utah for another 4.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#85 » by pickIBL » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I would not be shocked if spida gets inserted due to injuries and then never gives up his spot.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#86 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm

pickIBL wrote:I would not be shocked if spida gets inserted due to injuries and then never gives up his spot.

My guess is that Spida will play his way into significant rotation minutes by the end of the pre-season. He has been in the laboratory all summer, accessing pro coaching and development and he is a known hard worker. His defense will get him on the floor and he will stay there as he starts figuring out scoring against NBA players. Hoody? That guy is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm sure as hell not counting on him to break out but if he does...how much will it take to re-sign him?
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#87 » by AingesBurner » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 pm

If Mitchell is a stud this season he will definitely make one of Hood or Exum expendable.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#88 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

I still Hood as our SF for a while. At least until someone better comes along. So I don't see Donovan taking time away from Hood as much as Exum.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#89 » by AingesBurner » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 pm

I think Exum can play SF because of his size and athleticism.
Ingles is cooked.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#90 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 am

GobertReport wrote:I think Exum can play SF because of his size and athleticism.

I think that is basically the Jazz plan at the end of the day - a 2/3, but not a PG. If rumors are correct he is putting on a little good weight he shouldn't have any trouble at the 3. I think DM will be the #2 PG and Ex the #2 SG/SF - that is an extremely athletic back court for a second unit. In that situation DM doesn't also have to be "all that" as a pure PG as he and Ex can share primary ball-handling but together be defensive honey badgers at the other end of the court. If either one of those guys needs to be guarded at the 3 point line/corner then suddenly that is a very promising second unit back court that will also have the mix and match potential with JJ and Jerebko also stretching the floor as forwards. Who knows, Udoh may have a career year with some room around the basket with all that spacing and passing ability in his mates.

Hood could ultimately lose minutes to Ex at the SF but that is OK because he would also kill in the second unit.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#91 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:19 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:I think Exum can play SF because of his size and athleticism.

I think that is basically the Jazz plan at the end of the day - a 2/3, but not a PG. If rumors are correct he is putting on a little good weight he shouldn't have any trouble at the 3. I think DM will be the #2 PG and Ex the #2 SG/SF - that is an extremely athletic back court for a second unit. In that situation DM doesn't also have to be "all that" as a pure PG as he and Ex can share primary ball-handling but together be defensive honey badgers at the other end of the court. If either one of those guys needs to be guarded at the 3 point line/corner then suddenly that is a very promising second unit back court that will also have the mix and match potential with JJ and Jerebko also stretching the floor as forwards. Who knows, Udoh may have a career year with some room around the basket with all that spacing and passing ability in his mates.

Hood could ultimately lose minutes to Ex at the SF but that is OK because he would also kill in the second unit.

According to Purple and Blues (now JNotes), David Locke recently said he expected Ingles and Sefalosha to split the minutes at the small forward this season. The Purple and Blues writer also supports minutes for Sefalosha, claiming that Sefalosha can make life tough for elite small forwards in this league like Leonard, Butler, George and Durant --- at least make them work hard for their shots. Apparently Sefalosha has an outstanding 7-2 wingspan and some elite defensive rankings that he achieved while playing the small forward spot. He also has quite a bit more body mass than either Hood or Exum.

I am skeptical of Hood or Exum at the small forward at this point in their careers. I think they need a few more years of strength development to go up against a lot of today's small forwards, including recently departed Gordon Betrayward.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#92 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:25 am

Hoops Hype ranked the top 30 shooting guards for 2017-18 and they've got Rodney ranked at number eleven. That's pretty good.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/08/14/we-have-projected-the-top-30-shooting-guards-for-2017-18/
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#93 » by Feilong » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:08 pm

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#94 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Hoops Hype ranked the top 30 shooting guards for 2017-18 and they've got Rodney ranked at number eleven. That's pretty good.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/08/14/we-have-projected-the-top-30-shooting-guards-for-2017-18/

If you look at stats from the 2015/16 season, Hood was ranked about #15 SG for PER, EWA, Value Added, and Real Plus Minus (actually #12). Give him another year of development, hopefully being healthy, and starter role and minutes and I could easily see him improving in all of those areas. Consistency and getting to the line are the two important improvements he needs to make.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#95 » by MeestR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I liked this piece. He kinda focused on what Hood needs to do to improve, as in what he messed up on last year. It seemed to me like he was saying the Jazz may be leaning toward letting Rodney go find his own contract as a RFA. I'd love to keep him, but this piece didn't make it seem too promising. I hope this year he proves Lowe wrong.

Return to Utah Jazz