Current depth chart?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: Current depth chart? 

Post#61 » by sipclip » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Luigi wrote:
Dry Fly wrote:This year? Yeah it would take a MIP year of both Dante and Hood for us to really compete I think. Next year... we should have 50 million to play with.

I am not expecting that much internal improvement out of our guys. I think we were still a little short on asset firepower if we kept Hayward. And I don't see us collecting many new assets without extreme luck in the draft. But, if someone makes the jump somehow, I would be very happy. It just seems players that are gonna be real impact players in the NBA already show themselves in the first couple of seasons.

BUT if we do use that cap space and get a big name, I'd be happier than keeping Hayward.

I actually expect a ton of internal improvement simply because of health. This is the first offseason in a while that Burks is actually healthy and can work on his game and body rather than just rehabbing. With that being the case I expect Alec to get back to his 6th man of the year form or maybe take one of the starting spots. Favors is also somewhat healthy going into the offseason which wasn't the case last offseason. There was also a mention by Lindsey the other day on the radio that they told Favors that he needs to slim down and he is focusing on that. If this happens then I do expect him to come into this season healthy and looking like his usual self. Rodney Hood looked great the first part of the season before he hurt his knee and I think he will look even better this season. That is a massive upgrade over what we saw from Hood in the playoffs. Then of course there are Dante and Mitchell who I expect to be rotation guys for us. Defensively they are going to be a dynamite duo. Offensively I expect them to be inconsistent but bring an energy off the bench that translates to wins. We definitely need to fill out this roster with a few more quality role players though. The waiting right now is driving me nuts with some many solid players still out there but the good thing is that there are still a lot of players out there.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#62 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm

sipclip wrote:
Luigi wrote:
Dry Fly wrote:This year? Yeah it would take a MIP year of both Dante and Hood for us to really compete I think. Next year... we should have 50 million to play with.

I am not expecting that much internal improvement out of our guys. I think we were still a little short on asset firepower if we kept Hayward. And I don't see us collecting many new assets without extreme luck in the draft. But, if someone makes the jump somehow, I would be very happy. It just seems players that are gonna be real impact players in the NBA already show themselves in the first couple of seasons.

BUT if we do use that cap space and get a big name, I'd be happier than keeping Hayward.

I actually expect a ton of internal improvement simply because of health. This is the first offseason in a while that Burks is actually healthy and can work on his game and body rather than just rehabbing. With that being the case I expect Alec to get back to his 6th man of the year form or maybe take one of the starting spots. Favors is also somewhat healthy going into the offseason which wasn't the case last offseason. There was also a mention by Lindsey the other day on the radio that they told Favors that he needs to slim down and he is focusing on that. If this happens then I do expect him to come into this season healthy and looking like his usual self. Rodney Hood looked great the first part of the season before he hurt his knee and I think he will look even better this season. That is a massive upgrade over what we saw from Hood in the playoffs. Then of course there are Dante and Mitchell who I expect to be rotation guys for us. Defensively they are going to be a dynamite duo. Offensively I expect them to be inconsistent but bring an energy off the bench that translates to wins. We definitely need to fill out this roster with a few more quality role players though. The waiting right now is driving me nuts with some many solid players still out there but the good thing is that there are still a lot of players out there.

Oh, I meant improvement in terms of assets, not so much games won in 2018. We won't be terrible, probably looking at fighting for a playoff spot and I like our chances. But maybe get swept out of the first round. But on assets, health does bump up players in terms of asset value, but when I count up the jazz estate, I usually adjust to healthy status (since it doesn't make sense to move broken assets at low prices).

I am looking forward to Burks playing. Favors was hurt during the Warriors series, though, and he played through injuries during the Clippers series for us.

I will be watching Exum and Mitchell with interest, but they aren't very big assets in my mind. If they somehow get there, I'll be very happy. But realistically, I think they're probably NBA backups instead of valuable assets. Fingers crossed we get lucky though.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#63 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 am

My updated chart (v3.0) after seeing Mitchell:

Rubio (32) / Exum (2) / Mitchell (14) / Neto
Hood (4) / Burks (24) / Exum (12)
Ingles (20) / Hood (28)
Favors (12) / Johnson (24) / Ingles (12) / Bolomboy
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

If Diaw comes back, he takes these Ingles minutes at the 4.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#64 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:17 am

I just moved Donovan Mitchell up the depth chart in a big way. Holy hell, this kid...
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Luigi
General Manager

Post#65 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:I just moved Donovan Mitchell up the depth chart in a big way. Holy hell, this kid...

Do you see him as a 1 or a 2?
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#66 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:40 am

Luigi wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:I just moved Donovan Mitchell up the depth chart in a big way. Holy hell, this kid...

Yes.

He's the combo 1/2 with Exum on the floor. He's the 2 with Rubio on the floor.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#67 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:42 am

Winglish wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Yes.

A few pieces then:
Will he guard opposing 1s (defined by size and offensive role)?
Will be bring the ball up the court?
Will he initiate the offense?
Will he play off the ball mostly?

Post edit: agreed.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#68 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:44 am

Winglish wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Yes.

Donovan is going to be pesky enough to guard even large wings or slow small ball PF's. Some of these new wing/forward hybrids aren't as skilled anymore at backing a man down. A guy like JJ would abuse Donovan, but some wings won't.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#69 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:45 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Donovan is going to be pesky enough to guard even large wings or slow small ball PF's. Some of these new wing/forward hybrids aren't as skilled anymore at backing a man down. A guy like JJ would abuse Donovan, but some wings won't.

I like his defense, but i don't think he can handle NBA 3s.

Name--No Shoes--Standing Reach--Weight
Mitchell -- 6'1.75 -- 8'1.00 -- 211

Average Dimensions for Lottery Picks:
Position--No Shoes--Standing Reach--Weight

PG -- 6'2.25 -- 8'2.50 -- 182
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.25 -- 194
SF -- 6'7.00 -- 8'9.25 -- 218
PF -- 6'8.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 231
C -- 6'10.75 -- 9'2.75 -- 243

He's giving up a lot of inches on their release, even against 2 guards. I think it would be fun to see him pressure the opposing point guard a lot more than move off the ball. He's got the weight and speed to really disrupt their offense from the initiation point. It might pull him out of passing lanes some, but I think that would have a bigger impact than trying to reach up and defend wing shooters.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#70 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 am

Luigi wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Donovan is going to be pesky enough to guard even large wings or slow small ball PF's. Some of these new wing/forward hybrids aren't as skilled anymore at backing a man down. A guy like JJ would abuse Donovan, but some wings won't.

I like his defense, but i don't think he can handle NBA 3s.

Name--No Shoes--Standing Reach--Weight
Mitchell -- 6'1.75 -- 8'1.00 -- 211

Average Dimensions for Lottery Picks:
Position--No Shoes--Standing Reach--Weight

PG -- 6'2.25 -- 8'2.50 -- 182
SG -- 6'4.00 -- 8'4.25 -- 194
SF -- 6'7.00 -- 8'9.25 -- 218
PF -- 6'8.75 -- 9'0.00 -- 231
C -- 6'10.75 -- 9'2.75 -- 243

He's giving up a lot of inches on their release, even against 2 guards. I think it would be fun to see him pressure the opposing point guard a lot more than move off the ball. He's got the weight and speed to really disrupt their offense from the initiation point. It might pull him out of passing lanes some, but I think that would have a bigger impact than trying to reach up and defend wing shooters.

I'm not saying he runs to the biggest wing and guards him. I'm saying when the inevitable situation happens where a team runs a PnR and he is shifted onto larger wings I think often times he is going to be able to hold his own. If it is a wing or small ball PF who isn't comfortable dribbling Donovan is pesky enough they won't want to try and dribble. He is going to get a lot of those ball jabs like CP3 does.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#71 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 am

Donovan is gonna give Tatum a run for ROY and be a rotation cog by mid-season. His D is sneaky good per above - anticipation and gambling in lanes with his reach and basically knocking the ball out of his opponents hands. And plus with his athleticism and defensive desire I see chase down blocks coming. The surprise is his offense. Donovan is going to make DL look smart and the Jazz not miss Hayduke so much.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#72 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 am

Daddy 801 wrote:I'm not saying he runs to the biggest wing and guards him. I'm saying when the inevitable situation happens where a team runs a PnR and he is shifted onto larger wings I think often times he is going to be able to hold his own. If it is a wing or small ball PF who isn't comfortable dribbling Donovan is pesky enough they won't want to try and dribble. He is going to get a lot of those ball jabs like CP3 does.

Yes, I do like his switch potential. I'd also love to see him setting off ball screens on opposing centers like Stockton used to.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#73 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

With Donovan Mitchell having a great SL ,Jazz are looking super sweet on the perimeter.
I think Jazz players will be sliding up in positions and starting with Hood having to play more SF,Exum to play PG as well as SG,Donovan Mitchell right now a combo guard is going to have to play more PG because he is too short too take on top SG's night in ,night out.Ingles (6'8" 228)will back up SF but would be fascinating to see him playing mano y mano against Draymond Green(6'7" 230)and backing up DFavors at PF.Burks coming back healthy would be exciting ,anybody saying he cant fit Snyder's system just doesn't like Burks.Healthy Burks make Jazz really strong if Mitchell can translate his SL play into real NBA action and Burks plays like his best days.

PG)Rubio,Exum,Mitchell
SG)Exum,Burks,Mitchell
SF)Hood,Ingles,Burks
PF)Favors,Ingles,Johnson
C) Gobert,Favors,Bradley
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#74 » by millslapper » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I think a lot depends on Hood. He is a scorer, albeit streaky. The flight from Hayward maybe gives him THE chance to shine. i really expect him to get a lot of touches. if his consistency goes up we could have a 20 ppg guy. so he should start, to show him that he will be the main scorer.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#75 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Luigi wrote:My updated chart (v3.0) after seeing Mitchell:

Rubio (32) / Exum (2) / Mitchell (14) / Neto
Hood (4) / Burks (24) / Exum (12)
Ingles (20) / Hood (28)
Favors (12) / Johnson (24) / Ingles (12) / Bolomboy
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

If Diaw comes back, he takes these Ingles minutes at the 4.

After seeing him you think Mitchell averages 14mpg? I see him getting north of 24mpg, wouldn't surprise me to see him starting at SG before the end of the calender year at SG and with Hood starting at SF. You are missing 8 minutes at SG, are those for Mitchell?
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#76 » by BudTugly » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 pm

There will be a Mitchell contingent that calls for Snyder's head when DM doesn't get a lot of playing time.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#77 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:56 pm

BudTugly wrote:There will be a Mitchell contingent that calls for Snyder's head when DM doesn't get a lot of playing time.

I think it's more likely Exum loses minutes to Donovan and people get pissed. Exum had issues on defense last year blowing assignments and misreads. I can see Donovan getting Exums time if that happens with Exum again.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#78 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
BudTugly wrote:There will be a Mitchell contingent that calls for Snyder's head when DM doesn't get a lot of playing time.

I think it's more likely Exum loses minutes to Donovan and people get pissed. Exum had issues on defense last year blowing assignments and misreads. I can see Donovan getting Exums time if that happens with Exum again.

As a major Ex supporter I wouldn't mind a bit if Spida took his minutes. That said, I think Ex is going to be a defensive beast this year. His offense TBD.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#79 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

As a major Ex supporter I wouldn't mind a bit if Spida took his minutes. That said, I think Ex is going to be a defensive beast this year. His offense TBD.

What we have to hope for is Donovan plays well enough to demand mins. Which would mean Hood has to play the SF position. Which would mean Exum is getting the backup PG mins. Which would mean we see the Rubio/Exum, Donovan, Hood, Ingles/JJ, Gobert lineup. All that would be great news. :D
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#80 » by BudTugly » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:

It's not really about how good DM is. It's the fact that he and Rudy are the only players of consequence on the team that don't need to be sorted out in haste. Oh, and Ingles.

Unless the roster changes there are 4 guards who may be core players, may not, and must be evaluated.

Snyder will be mixing beakers for at least a couple months before DM will have a chance to really have impactful minutes IMO.

It's going to be frustrating for some people.

Return to Utah Jazz