Predict Exum's Season

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

What will Dante look like this season?

Scattered DNPs with severe turnovers and little growth from last season
2%
8 pts, 3 assists in limited minutes off the bench but more steady and less wild
28%
12 pts, 5 assists in meaningful backup minutes and obvious improvement in his game
54%
15 pts, 7 assists per game, stealing the starting spot at times, improved scoring and shooting skills
13%
Full-time starter by season's end and the stats to justify it
2%
Full-time starter, All-Star, League MVP, DPOY, champion etc etc etc
2%

Total votes: 61

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Predict Exum's Season 

Post#41 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 7, 2017 1:56 pm

I see Exum getting more minutes than anyone coming off the bench. I don't think Quin has it out for Exum. I think he has very little patience for PG's who couldn't dribble against pressure.

He'll have priority at 1&2 over Mitchell, Burks, and Neto.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 944

Post#42 » by tleikheen » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:16 pm

If Hood plays dual positions (Sg/SF) and Ingles plays dual positions (SF/PF) it would be for Exum ,Mitchell and Burks to get alot of rotation minutes and that the Jazz are running as opposed to winding down the clock.
I think JJ will lose minutes and they might have to move him if defense is winning games,Sefalosha will get his minutes.Jerebko will be 11/12 th man.
1st unit : PG) Rubio,SG) Hood,SF) Ingles,PF) Favors,C) Gobert
2nd unit: PG) Exum,SG) Mitchell,SF) Burks,PF) Sefalosha,C) Udoh

Jazz will have to pressure and scramble to Win.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#43 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 7, 2017 8:35 pm

Who knows, if Exum can shoot well enough to avoid the, "I'm going to stand 15 ft away and turn around whenever you catch the ball" defense he could start. Ingles has been durable, but starting full time might wear him down.

Burks has an outside chance to start as well. I've been skeptical of him getting many minutes at all, but he is a player who you'd want to play the bulk of his minutes next to Rubio.
RGLJ
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#44 » by RGLJ » Fri Sep 8, 2017 3:55 am

Rubio will get most of the PG minutes and Mitchell is too short for the 2. Getting Rubio has basically told Rxum the Jazz don't see him as the OG if the future. As Lyndsay said in the exit interviews. They see Dante as a 1,2 or 3. I'm predicting Dante gets an offer elsewhere at seasons end and Jazz don't match, it they trade him during the year. I still think Snyder is way less than a fan of Exum.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#45 » by tleikheen » Fri Sep 8, 2017 4:53 am

Rubio will get most of the PG minutes and Mitchell is too short for the 2. Getting Rubio has basically told Rxum the Jazz don't see him as the OG if the future. As Lyndsay said in the exit interviews. They see Dante as a 1,2 or 3. I'm predicting Dante gets an offer elsewhere at seasons end and Jazz don't match, it they trade him during the year. I still think Snyder is way less than a fan of Exum

I expect Exum is going to be playing /auditioning for a team looking for a PG.It's obvious he's got a future in the NBA and he expects it to be at PG.
Jazz have a predicament,Rubio is entering his prime years and Mitchell is too short to play SG in the NBA.

I think before the new year Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report will have Exum #1 on players needing a change of scenery.Exum won't put up with another year of Snyder's doghouse because Exum wants to score pts on a pt starving team , by having to run to the corner in Snyder's offense.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#46 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Sep 8, 2017 5:04 am

tleikheen wrote:
Rubio will get most of the PG minutes and Mitchell is too short for the 2. Getting Rubio has basically told Rxum the Jazz don't see him as the OG if the future. As Lyndsay said in the exit interviews. They see Dante as a 1,2 or 3. I'm predicting Dante gets an offer elsewhere at seasons end and Jazz don't match, it they trade him during the year. I still think Snyder is way less than a fan of Exum

I expect Exum is going to be playing /auditioning for a team looking for a PG.It's obvious he's got a future in the NBA and he expects it to be at PG.
Jazz have a predicament,Rubio is entering his prime years and Mitchell is too short to play SG in the NBA.

I think before the new year Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report will have Exum #1 on players needing a change of scenery.Exum won't put up with another year of Snyder's doghouse because Exum wants to score pts on a pt starving team , by having to run to the corner in Snyder's offense.

And Barkley was to short to play power forward. Donovan isn't to small to play SG. And i'm betting Exum will be signed and stays with Utah after this year. I think they see enough to keep high hopes for Ex going forward after this year.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#47 » by zero24gravity » Fri Sep 8, 2017 6:49 pm

I think Exum is a straight-up PG However, he has the size, athleticism and ability to play 3 positions, which make him very valuable in a world of potion-less basketball, assuming he embraces the role & continues to work on his shot & his body. The only thing that concerns me about his minutes is, he really isn't a good fit next to Rubio, IMO. Too similar in strengths & too similar in weakness. They don't compliment each other enough.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#48 » by AingesBurner » Fri Sep 8, 2017 7:18 pm

zero24gravity wrote:I think Exum is a straight-up PG However, he has the size, athleticism and ability to play 3 positions, which make him very valuable in a world of potion-less basketball, assuming he embraces the role & continues to work on his shot & his body. The only thing that concerns me about his minutes is, he really isn't a good fit next to Rubio, IMO. Too similar in strengths & too similar in weakness. They don't compliment each other enough.

If they can both shoot 35% from 3 then they will be fine.
Ingles is cooked.
stra0448
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#49 » by stra0448 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:32 pm

Predict Exum's Career:

If he can hit 3's he's a star
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#50 » by KqWIN » Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:54 pm

I still don't see Exum as a type of player that has star potential. That boom or bust talk made him out to be something that he's not. IMO he's likely to be a useful player, but unlikely to be a star. His game resembles a combo guard who defends and gives you one or two things on offense.

I think Hood, who fell because his lack of potential, is more in the mold of a star because he can be an exceptional shot maker. I'm not saying he will be a star, or even that he'll be more useful than Exum, but he does have a part of his game that he can force on the other team. Exum could barely dribble against a full court press and was often benched because he couldn't. I don't ever see himself being able to force his will on the other team.

We are finally starting to label players as stars who don't score 20 ppg, but I still find it hard to believe that Exum will become one of those players.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#51 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:06 am

stra0448 wrote:Predict Exum's Career:

If he can hit 3's he's a star

I think you might want to check your autocorrect. It appears to be replacing "Rubio" with "Exum".

I'm still hopeful about Exum as a PG, but he has to show that this year. Otherwise, he is an average to below average wing.
nghedman
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#52 » by nghedman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Just voted. I think its somewhere between the DNP and the 8 pt option. I figure he will turn into the 3rd pt role and transistion some into a wing player. He won't make it in the NBA as a wing unless he puts in tons of practice to make the shot better. He will be let go at the end of his next contract if not the current one. and out of the league soon after that.
Go ReAL!
RGLJ
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#53 » by RGLJ » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 am

If that is the case, trade him now for a bag of magic beans. It is as much a fairytale as that post.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#54 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 am

RGLJ wrote:If that is the case, trade him now for a bag of magic beans. It is as much a fairytale as that post.

I think we could get a silver goose out of that trade as well? :D

So expected, many here believing Dante is going to be the exact same player this year as last. By all accounts he has been doing major off-season work. Contract year and finally enough maturity and misfortune in the league to know what is what from the personal improvement point of view. He is still a kid with major upside - we won't know until the games start getting played just how much better he has gotten. I think he heard loud and clear that "working on your handle" was a major place to invest time.

Plus, with the new personnel the Jazz O is obviously going to change and part of that will be fast breaks coming off of forced turnovers. Dante will thrive in that environment. He will always have a place on the floor if he ups his already good defensive game anyway. No one is looking for Dante to take over games scoring. Supposedly Hood is the guy for that.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#55 » by stitches » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:40 pm

There is something about Exum that prevents me from giving up on him. Every single time this team forgot to show up last year, it was Exum that was giving the team a spark and actually pushing the team forward. He has a ton to work on technically and skills-wise, but there is something about the way he carries himself that I like...

I'm kind of excited for him this coming season
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#56 » by tleikheen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:27 am

There is something about Exum that prevents me from giving up on him. Every single time this team forgot to show up last year, it was Exum that was giving the team a spark and actually pushing the team forward.

The only ones giving up on Exum

and Burks

and Favors

is unfortunatly half the people here. Wanting to trade and move for less talented players in the sake of smallball.

Jazz management though seems to be leaning to a different tune though.They think Jazz can be the anti Golden State team .A team built on Gobert /Favors shutting the paint down and having speed and length on the wings defensively .And that good health will bring internal growth offensively to the Jazz.Favors healthy,Burks healthy ,Hood healthy and Exum healthy is very hard to judge ,rightfully so,but could be YUGE.Talent wins in the NBA and Jazz finally IF their guys can maintain health be the surprise in their division and the Western Conference.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#57 » by tleikheen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 am

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#58 » by babyjax13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm

I like him, but he's 22 and still can't hit a layup with his left hand. That really tells me all I need to know about his development. For a player whose specialty is getting to the rim, he is too easy to neutralize. If he can hit that left-handed layup, he suddenly becomes a much more dangerous offensive weapon, and deserving of a lot more minutes.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#59 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 am

I'm pleased with the way Exum has developed his finishing around the basket. You won't be see a ton of left hand finishes, but he can finish off the wrong foot seamlessly. As long as the motion is fluid it's not a huge issue. Still room for improvement, but I wouldn't say it's limiting his game. The two things that I see limit his game are:

1) Handle
2) Wide open shooting

His handle is the reason he got yanked so many times last season. It's very hard to play a PG who can't dribble the ball up the court safely. When guys get into him he really struggles. It looked better in the SL, but it still wasn't great. His speed hardly matters if he can't handle the ball well.

The other thing is when teams decide to stand 15 feet away from him. How does he respond? Dante can catch guys when they are playing up on him with straight line drives, but once the adjustment comes in he is toast. The adjustment has been to stand 10-15 away from him whenever he catches the ball. He either needs to be able to make that shot or add a Euro Step game like Giannis. He has no craftiness or ability to navigate through traffic with his gather steps.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#60 » by tleikheen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 am

Easy to stand 10/15 feet off Exum if Jazz play the same walk it up the court offense as last year. Really hoping Snyder lets Rubio,Exum,Mitchell,Burks,Ingles and Hood push the ball up the court and swarm on defense this year.

Return to Utah Jazz