Jazz of old .... reminisce

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Jazz of old .... reminisce 

Post#1 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 pm

While I do feel there may be one more move on the horizon, the bulk of the NBA off season is done.

Draft - check
Trades/FA signings - check
Summer League - check

So what do we talk about for the next 2 months??? (...other than distain for Haywood & theories of how good Mitchell might be)

I say we share stats, stories, and tidbits about out favorite/least favorite Jazz teams & players of the past.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Re: Jazz of old .... reminisce 

Post#2 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Here's a fun fact, just to give an idea of how great our former Jazz-legends were.

In a time before advanced stats, three of the top 12 players of the 1990's in Winshares all played for the Jazz at once. Here's the top 15:

Shawn Kemp: 82.5
Patrick Ewing: 83.9
Horace Grant: 85.3
Jeff Hornacek: 86.4
Detlef Schrempf: 88.1

Hakeem Olajuwon: 90.7
Shaquille O'Neal: 94.1
Gary Payton: 94.2
Charles Barkley: 96.8

Scottie Pippen: 100.1
Reggie Miller: 108.8
Michael Jordan: 112.1
John Stockton: 117.4

David Robinson: 135.3
Karl Malone: 146.3

It's stunning how great Malone was.....only The Admiral (another underappreciated Legend) is even close. And Stockton is ahead of Jordan. We were truly blessed to have these guys on our Jazz for so long.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#3 » by BudTugly » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 pm

I've never understood what that stat means.

But good thread. I always thought Ostertag was better than a lot if people made him out to be even though he was ultimately disappointing.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#4 » by Rauxcee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 am

I miss Memo. Loved watching him play, not because it was anything spectacular, I just enjoyed it. Particularly that clutch streak he went on right before the all-star game that ultimately led to him being an all-star. Well, that and a bunch of injuries to other players.

I'd love Memo on this team now. I mean he couldn't play the 4 defensively at all, but on offense, I'd bet it would work with Rudy.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#5 » by BudTugly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:24 am

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#6 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am

BudTugly wrote:

I noticed that Stock passes in a Rubio way. The Jazz also need more Malone elbows.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#7 » by Reckless » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am

Rauxcee wrote:I miss Memo. Loved watching him play, not because it was anything spectacular, I just enjoyed it. Particularly that clutch streak he went on right before the all-star game that ultimately led to him being an all-star. Well, that and a bunch of injuries to other players.

I'd love Memo on this team now. I mean he couldn't play the 4 defensively at all, but on offense, I'd bet it would work with Rudy.

DWill and Memo had great chemistry that couldn't be understated. Same could be said about DWill and Boozer. Offensively you could put them up against any team during that time.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by zero24gravity » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Rauxcee wrote:I miss Memo. Loved watching him play, not because it was anything spectacular, I just enjoyed it. Particularly that clutch streak he went on right before the all-star game that ultimately led to him being an all-star. Well, that and a bunch of injuries to other players.

Yes! Memo is that stretch big that the Jazz need NOW. And he was truly clutch. I think he may have shot better in stressful situations than he did during the course of the rest of the game.

Speaking of players who would fit rally well with other era Jazz teams, AK47 (my fav non-Stock/Malone Jazzman ever) would have been the perfect utility player for the S2M years. Due to his Defense/shot blocking he would have also allowed the team to play less Ostertag, which is a positive by itself. Can you imagine? Malone playing come center with AK, BRuss, Horny & Stock?
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#9 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

How foolish was Nash fouling Malone on the forearm and then lunging into him after Malone has secured a rebound with two hands? LOL. Also, the David Robinson one looked dirty as hell. Finally...too bad they couldn't have all been against Isiah Thomas! :lol:
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#10 » by BudTugly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 am

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#11 » by stitches » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#12 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
BudTugly wrote:

I noticed that Rubio passes in a Stockton way. The Jazz also need more Malone elbows.

Fixed :lol:

He's gonna get a lot of fun comparisons. I am excited for Rubio's passion on the court.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#13 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 am

zero24gravity wrote:

Yes! Memo is that stretch big that the Jazz need NOW. And he was truly clutch. I think he may have shot better in stressful situations than he did during the course of the rest of the game.

Speaking of players who would fit rally well with other era Jazz teams, AK47 (my fav non-Stock/Malone Jazzman ever) would have been the perfect utility player for the S2M years. Due to his Defense/shot blocking he would have also allowed the team to play less Ostertag, which is a positive by itself. Can you imagine? Malone playing come center with AK, BRuss, Horny & Stock?

That would be pretty strong.

I used to say during the Boozer Williams Okur years that if we could add Eaton as a third big, we had a shot at the title. I loved watching the high pick and roll ruin Rocket's fans dreams two seasons in a row (Yao or Never?...never).

I wonder if you added Okur to the Stockton Malone Jazz if you'd have a similar effect. Someone to split center minutes with Ostertag... hmmm. Ostertag was a very underrated cork. Teams couldn't get a lot on the paint on Tag, despite his unlikeableness and other shortcomings. But a Memo 98 Jazz...that could have been something.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:32 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:How foolish was Nash fouling Malone on the forearm and then lunging into him after Malone has secured a rebound with two hands? LOL. Also, the David Robinson one looked dirty as hell. Finally...too bad they couldn't have all been against Isiah Thomas! :lol:

So true.

Maybe IT can take a Gobert elbow this season, just for old time's sake. ;)
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Dug up some more good stuff on one of our fav All-Time Jazzmen, Mr. Stockton:

As a PG he had a eFG% of over 60% in 1994-95. For comparison's sake, Chris Paul's highest ever eFG% is 55.5%, which John matched or beat SIX times!

Paul has averaged over 10 assists per game six times, topping out at 11.6apg in 2007-08, which is pretty awesome until you see that Stockton averaged more than 11.6 in 8 different seasons, topping out at an amazing 14.5!

Even steals are no comparison, as Paul's best year was a great 2.8spg. Stock "only" passed that mark 4 times. :)

Granted, Paul has numbers such as scoring that beat Stockton. But when comparing the areas that Stockton was best at, there's simply no one who holds a candle to him. Not even the best PG in the game today. ... and it's not even close.
Hikari
Starter
And1: 255

Post#16 » by Hikari » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Lots of Jazz games on NBA TV Hardwood classics today.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#17 » by Rauxcee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Hikari wrote:Lots of Jazz games on NBA TV Hardwood classics today.

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#18 » by BudTugly » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 am

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#19 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 am

zero24gravity wrote:Dug up some more good stuff on one of our fav All-Time Jazzmen, Mr. Stockton:

As a PG he had a eFG% of over 60% in 1994-95. For comparison's sake, Chris Paul's highest ever eFG% is 55.5%, which John matched or beat SIX times!

Paul has averaged over 10 assists per game six times, topping out at 11.6apg in 2007-08, which is pretty awesome until you see that Stockton averaged more than 11.6 in 8 different seasons, topping out at an amazing 14.5!

Even steals are no comparison, as Paul's best year was a great 2.8spg. Stock "only" passed that mark 4 times. :)

Granted, Paul has numbers such as scoring that beat Stockton. But when comparing the areas that Stockton was best at, there's simply no one who holds a candle to him. Not even the best PG in the game today. ... and it's not even close.

Thanks for digging that info up because it meets the "eye test of time". Stockton is a legend for a reason. And his game was timeless. (And I'd throw the Big O Oscar Robinson in there in that tier). He could be putting up similar numbers in 2017 as a late 20's, early 30's, and late 30's player - even in this style of play today. I'm sure if he ever was tasked with coming up with a floater he'd wire that in like half a season and lead the league in % on that. The cool thing was, as a fan then, everyone knew they were watching something special - his talents were not taken for granted and instead honored. The only guy who had an as interesting passing game during his career was Magic, and that is heady company. LeBron is there as well now.

Who knows, maybe Rudy's jersey will swing in the rafters as well but that was crazy watching two HOFERS at the same time playing for the little Utah Jazz Basketball Club.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#20 » by millslapper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Return to Utah Jazz