NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#301 » by stitches » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 pm

KqWIN wrote:Who is this year’s Bam? The player who looks terrible because NCAA basketball is terrible but will show more in the NBA?

Look at Kentucky. They always have players that are not allowed to do all they can do. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander... Jarred Vanderbilt but that's cuz he hasn't played yet?

I like Lonnie Walker more than most too... but he has the potential to be one of those athletic wings who can supposedly shoot that I always like and they always bust because of their unrefined skill(McLemore, Hezonja, Winslow, Stanley Johnson).
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#302 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Who is this year’s Bam? The player who looks terrible because NCAA basketball is terrible but will show more in the NBA?

Look at Kentucky. They always have players that are not allowed to do all they can do. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander... Jarred Vanderbilt but that's cuz he hasn't played yet?

I like Lonnie Walker more than most too... but he has the potential to be one of those athletic wings who can supposedly shoot that I always like and they always bust because of their unrefined skill(McLemore, Hezonja, Winslow, Stanley Johnson).

Vanderbilt played last night. I’m going to keep a close eye on him.
stitches
RealGM

Post#303 » by stitches » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

he did? I have to check him out. How did he look?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#304 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:Look at Kentucky. They always have players that are not allowed to do all they can do. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander... Jarred Vanderbilt but that's cuz he hasn't played yet?

I didn’t watch, but I think he had something like 6/5/3/1 in 14 minutes.
stitches
RealGM

Post#305 » by stitches » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:32 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Oh - BTW Hamidou Diallo. I've heard only great things about him off the floor, as in his drive for success and coachability. He has some issues offensively skill-wise, but he's so intriguing to me. IMO he can be a very very good defender and depending on how good his shot is(if it translates), I think he will have a floor of a good role-player. Many people are very down on him.

I will need to watch more of him, but again... hyper athletic wing who might be able to defend and shoot... I just can't help myself. This mold of player is like catnip for me. No matter how many of those bust, I continue looking for the one that will figure it out and pan out in the league :lol:
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#306 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Miles Bridges is my guy as far as not fitting into CBB. I’m not sure if he’ll pan out, but he’s definitely not being used right in college. He’s playing the 3 and on the baseline. In the NBA he’s obviously a playmaking 4.

I’m starting to like him, but that shot is fugly.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#307 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:05 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:he did? I have to check him out. How did he look?

Oh - BTW Hamidou Diallo. I've heard only great things about him off the floor, as in his drive for success and coachability. He has some issues offensively skill-wise, but he's so intriguing to me. IMO he can be a very very good defender and depending on how good his shot is(if it translates), I think he will have a floor of a good role-player. Many people are very down on him.

I will need to watch more of him, but again... hyper athletic wing who might be able to defend and shoot... I just can't help myself. This mold of player is like catnip for me. No matter how many of those bust, I continue looking for the one that will figure it out and pan out in the league :lol:

Really? That's interesting to hear... I watched their last couple games and he seemed to butt heads with coach Cal A LOT... and I also think it's telling that Cal trusted Vanderbilt more with running the offense than Diallo when Shai got in foul trouble last night.

Tbh, Diallo feels a lot like Andrew Wiggins... same kind of play style, same over reliance on athletic tools, not very efficient, low bball IQ and poor defense that's often overrated because of the dominating physical and athletic tools. I've really cooled off on him lately.

As for Vanderbilt... he struggled early because he was pressing things (to be expected) but overall, he looked fantastic. He might end up being the best pro prospect on the team. His passing was super impressive, and he plays with a high motor. Showed great rebounding potential and good leadership. He was able to run the offense for UK when Shai got into foul trouble. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on moving forward.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
stitches
RealGM

Post#308 » by stitches » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:
stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Really? That's interesting to hear... I watched their last couple games and he seemed to butt heads with coach Cal A LOT... and I also think it's telling that Cal trusted Vanderbilt more with running the offense than Diallo when Shai got in foul trouble last night.

Tbh, Diallo feels a lot like Andrew Wiggins... same kind of play style, same over reliance on athletic tools, not very efficient, low bball IQ and poor defense that's often overrated because of the dominating physical and athletic tools. I've really cooled off on him lately.

As for Vanderbilt... he struggled early because he was pressing things (to be expected) but overall, he looked fantastic. He might end up being the best pro prospect on the team. His passing was super impressive, and he plays with a high motor. Showed great rebounding potential and good leadership. He was able to run the offense for UK when Shai got into foul trouble. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on moving forward.

Yeah, his skill and his instincts(iq) on the floor are not great offensively. That's why I project him more in a role-player mold at least to start. I disagree he doesn't defend well, though. I think he is a very good defender when he locks down. His lateral quickness is very good IMO and he has the athleticism and length. In several draft podcasts(Sam Vecenie's and The Stepien) I've heard people praise him for being a good kid, who applies himself in practices and having great work ethic... That's where my info is coming from. I don't know the extent of his problems with Cal.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#309 » by KqWIN » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Vanderbilt shot <50% from the line in HS. Yikes! Aaron Gordon esque.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#310 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:21 pm

I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#311 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 pm

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#312 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Wigginton looks like a 1st rd talent to me
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#313 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 pm

What are the opinions on Billy Preston as a prospect?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#314 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Who do you guys like for the Jazz in the 5-12 range? Its really early but in some mocks I see Doncic slipping to #5. We can have the pleasure of a good argument if the Jazz land in the top 3 but interested in your impressions are to-date. (I don't follow prospects very closely until the college season is over).
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
stitches
RealGM

Post#315 » by stitches » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Who do you guys like for the Jazz in the 5-12 range? Its really early but in some mocks I see Doncic slipping to #5. We can have the pleasure of a good argument if the Jazz land in the top 3 but interested in your impressions are to-date. (I don't follow prospects very closely until the college season is over).

Ideally Porter Jr slips... if not... there is a drop past the first 5-6. Probably Mikal Bridges is the best fit for what we need. Other possibilities - Miles Bridges, Kevin Knox. Jaren Jackson is a future DPOY candidate IMO. His offensive game is a bit limited, and his jumpshot looks funky, but it falls. He might be the rare stretchy big who's great on D. If you want another dynamic combo guard - Collin Sexton.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#316 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 am

Jaren Jackson is a player that we really need to start to keep an eye on. I'm beginning to see a lot of Rasheed Wallace in this kid and you can't ask for a better type of player to pair with Gobert. A Wallace type guy would be a wet dream.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#317 » by Cappy_Smurf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:35 am

stitches wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:Who do you guys like for the Jazz in the 5-12 range? Its really early but in some mocks I see Doncic slipping to #5. We can have the pleasure of a good argument if the Jazz land in the top 3 but interested in your impressions are to-date. (I don't follow prospects very closely until the college season is over).

Ideally Porter Jr slips... if not... there is a drop past the first 5-6. Probably Mikal Bridges is the best fit for what we need. Other possibilities - Miles Bridges, Kevin Knox. Jaren Jackson is a future DPOY candidate IMO. His offensive game is a bit limited, and his jumpshot looks funky, but it falls. He might be the rare stretchy big who's great on D. If you want another dynamic combo guard - Collin Sexton.

JJ Jr and Mikal Bridges are my guys in that order. I think jackson will move up draft boards too high for Utah, but I'm hoping not.

I don't want Porter Jr to slip at all. I want nothing to do with that back. I'm counting on him and maybe Young to get taken early and bump back Jackson. Even better if one or two other guys move up to bump him back.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#318 » by KqWIN » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 am

Can't say I've ever watched JJJ...but just from a high level view I think he's on par with Ayton/Bagley/Bamba. I'm going to put him into one of my top groups...so I guess that puts the magic number at 8?

Doncic

Porter
Young
Bagley
Ayton
JJJ

Bridges
Bamba
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#319 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 am

stitches wrote:

I'm a big Walker guy. Miami isn't using him correctly AT ALL. He's a tremendous athlete, plays great D, can create off the dribble a bit, attack the basket and has a nice shot.

If we drop out of the top 11 or so, he's my top guy for the Jazz other than maybe Simons.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#320 » by sipclip » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm

KqWIN wrote:Can't say I've ever watched JJJ...but just from a high level view I think he's on par with Ayton/Bagley/Bamba. I'm going to put him into one of my top groups...so I guess that puts the magic number at 8?

Doncic

Porter
Young
Bagley
Ayton
JJJ

Bridges
Bamba

The kid is awesome. I have Ayton on another tier but Jackson is special. It wouldn't shock me at all if he went as high as 2. This draft is incredible for the top 7 and we need to do everything we can to get in that position. The good thing is Mitchell is hitting his rookie wall so I don't see him carrying us to many wins. If we can just dump Favors and maybe Hood for future assets rather than current players then we might just get it done. Keeping Rubio around may be key for the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz