Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#1101 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:We’re saying that the guy who tells us who were drafting every year doesn’t know anything? :lol: He might not know anything, but people who do know things obviously talk to him.

There may not be a better inside source on the draft in the entire league. No one has leaked more good information than Locke about the draft. And we’re dumping on his work ethic too? Please...what more do you want him to do.

No more cheesy adverts.

Would you prefer him put the podcast behind a paywall? Because those are really the two main business models - ad reads or paywall.

BTW you can have your gripes with Locke for various things, but his work ethic and the amount of content he pumps up are very far from reasonable ones IMO.

I would just like to hear a different advert other than the same ones over and over, yes the Murdocks are great, I gotta sweet deal on my VW but damn dude change it up, now I just skip them.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#1102 » by stitches » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:11 pm

GobertReport wrote:
I would just like to hear a different advert other than the same ones over and over, yes the Murdocks are great, I gotta sweet deal on my VW but damn dude change it up, now I just skip them.

I skip them too... :lol:
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1103 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I skip them too... :lol:

On the bright side Locke finally realized about the NG contracts that we had been telling him about on Twitter and is talking about it on todays POD.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#1104 » by sipclip » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm

KqWIN wrote:We’re saying that the guy who tells us who were drafting every year doesn’t know anything? :lol: He might not know anything, but people who do know things obviously talk to him.

There may not be a better inside source on the draft in the entire league. No one has leaked more good information than Locke about the draft. And we’re dumping on his work ethic too? Please...what more do you want him to do.

His work ethic is trash when it comes to college basketball. That isn't even debatable. He even states it himself that he doesn't follow college basketball or draft picks at all. I'm sorry but it is a complete joke that a guy that is paid to talk about basketball and goes out of his way to be a so called expert can't make the time to do a little research during the season.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1105 » by KqWIN » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:00 pm

sipclip wrote:

His work ethic is trash when it comes to college basketball. That isn't even debatable. He even states it himself that he doesn't follow college basketball or draft picks at all. I'm sorry but it is a complete joke that a guy that is paid to talk about basketball and goes out of his way to be a so called expert can't make the time to do a little research during the season.

You do realize that his job is to be the radio voice f the Utah Jazz right? Everything else is extra. I’m not sure that there’s another radio guy that does a daily podcast, and I’m 100% sure that there isn’t another radio guy who runs an entire podcast network on the side.

I also see nothing wrong with him prefacing his draft work by saying he just started. In fact, I prefer it. He’s basically telling you that these are his opinions, but take them as you will because this is the amount of time he puts into it. He’s not hiding anything. Most people don’t do anything, but still pretend that they have. So what if he’s a part of the 99% of people who don’t give a damn about college ball. At least he’s honest.

Oh, and by the way, his draft information has been more relevant than any source in the entire league. He is, at the very least, the best inside source on the draft there is. If you can find a better one, let me know, but nobody has provided more privy info than you.

You can watch every second of every college game ever, but you don’t have the access he does. He may not even know what Melvin Frazier’s name is, but I take his evaluation of him more seriously than someone who may have watched every single second of him because his opinions have proven to align with Jazz draft strategy.

Locke is not some master scout, and doesn’t pretend to be one. He is an expert Jazz insider, and has leaked important information time and time again.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#1106 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

My gripe is that he literally only watches one half of a game or one full game of a player and then talks as if he's some authoritative figure on their draft prospects. He literally admits to only watch that much of a player before he talks about them. To me, that's just not good enough. Most casual fans have seen a lot of these guys more than he has. The first time he started talking about digging into these guys, he mispronounced half their names and called some of them things like "that kid from Maryland" etc. To me, that's not professional level content. I respect his hard work and dedication to producing content, but his draft content is essentially non-existent outside of his sources that feed him info and his stats analysis (which anyone can do). Again, this is the same thing that Andy does every year. It's irritating. They could have any average basketball fan joe watch half a game of these guys and then read off some stats and accomplish the same thing. In my eyes, it hurts their credibility as reporters. I get that people want to hear about that stuff, but if that's the case, then they should be putting in the requisite work so that they can speak with some credibility on the matter. And if they don't want to put in that extra work or don't have the time to do? Find someone else who does and use them as a resource. There's several local guys that put much more work into scouting prospects than he or Andy does, why not utilize one of them? Or even reach out to other guys on the national scene that are more into this stuff. I just don't get it... and it rubs me the wrong way every year. He gives up inside info acting like it's his own analysis, and he's good for that, but he himself isn't a good source for credible draft coverage outside of what the Jazz sources tell him. So take that for what it is.

But this is all besides the point of this thread... like I mentioned previously, I think we should all brace for Grayson to be the pick. Tony and Locke, the two most well sourced and open local guys, have been in on that train for awhile now. Although, I've heard some talk that the Wolves at 20 are very intrigued by him as well. So we'll see if he even makes it that far. Also, Locke was pretty high on Wagner in todays podcast. Might be another guy to keep an eye on.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1107 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 am

UTJazzFan_Echo1 wrote:

My gripe is that he literally only watches one half of a game or one full game of a player and then talks as if he's some authoritative figure on their draft prospects. He literally admits to only watch that much of a player before he talks about them. To me, that's just not good enough. Most casual fans have seen a lot of these guys more than he has. The first time he started talking about digging into these guys, he mispronounced half their names and called some of them things like "that kid from Maryland" etc. To me, that's not professional level content. I respect his hard work and dedication to producing content, but his draft content is essentially non-existent outside of his sources that feed him info and his stats analysis (which anyone can do). Again, this is the same thing that Andy does every year. It's irritating. They could have any average basketball fan joe watch half a game of these guys and then read off some stats and accomplish the same thing. In my eyes, it hurts their credibility as reporters. I get that people want to hear about that stuff, but if that's the case, then they should be putting in the requisite work so that they can speak with some credibility on the matter. And if they don't want to put in that extra work or don't have the time to do? Find someone else who does and use them as a resource. There's several local guys that put much more work into scouting prospects than he or Andy does, why not utilize one of them? Or even reach out to other guys on the national scene that are more into this stuff. I just don't get it... and it rubs me the wrong way every year. He gives up inside info acting like it's his own analysis, and he's good for that, but he himself isn't a good source for credible draft coverage outside of what the Jazz sources tell him. So take that for what it is.

But this is all besides the point of this thread... like I mentioned previously, I think we should all brace for Grayson to be the pick. Tony and Locke, the two most well sourced and open local guys, have been in on that train for awhile now. Although, I've heard some talk that the Wolves at 20 are very intrigued by him as well. So we'll see if he even makes it that far. Also, Locke was pretty high on Wagner in todays podcast. Might be another guy to keep an eye on.

I’ve said the same thing about Allen in regards to Locke and Tony. I am scared **** if the Jazz draft Wagner, Locke himself said hes a player who is not as good as Ryan Anderson, so a bench big who can’t play?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#1108 » by blackham9258 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 am

Kevin Huerter Is the guy we need to pull out all the stops to get!

I would trade Bradley, 2 2nds to Milwakee to move up to 17 to get him. I worry that the promise is to Atlanta but wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes #13 to LAC.

I think he could be the next Klay Thompson type player in the Jazz system. If the Jazz believe he could be the next Klay Thompson then I think we need to be open to doing even more.

Last year we gave up a lottery pick (Lyles) and #24 to get Donovan and the franchise was changed forever! If we don't believe Ricky Rubio is going to be a piece that can fit long term beside Donovan and Rudy then why run him back next year just to not resign him the year after? Especially if he can be used to get Huerter and future assets this draft and this off-season!

I say we flip him to Phoenix now for #16 and a perhaps a future pick or #31 (preferably the Miami pick- I think Phoenix is desperate enough to change their franchise course dramatically and Ricky would do it for them, and perhaps Igor who loves Ricky could convince them to trade significant assets to do it.) Then we pick Huerter at #16, and still have #21 to pick another player we like: Okobo, Robinson, Diop or perhaps even trade down while dropping Burks to clear more cap spcae, say #21 for #30 to Atlanta if they take on Burks.

I know that is a lot, but dropping $27M in salaries and picking up significant young pieces puts us in great position in the off-season to be a destination option for players if things don't work out.

What if Paul George decides to stay in OKC because they offer the full 5 year deal? What does Lebron do then? Not saying Lebron is coming but if Lebron goes to LA its not like we couldn't pick up a bought out George Hill for 1 year, Kevin Love will be available, and others. Heck, even if we don't pick up any stars this off-season we can take on peoples 1 year dead money to get more picks to do deals in the future.

My favorite plan with the cap space is the following:

We could then go to Orlando and offer our 1st rounder in 2019 and say Jae Crowder to allow us to sign Aaron Gordon to a 5/$100M deal.

All this starts with being agressive at the draft and getting the next piece, not a end of the bench rotation guy. Huerter is that piece!!!!!!
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1109 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 am

Locke Watch

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#1110 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm

blackham9258 wrote:Kevin Huerter Is the guy we need to pull out all the stops to get!

I would trade Bradley, 2 2nds to Milwakee to move up to 17 to get him. I worry that the promise is to Atlanta but wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes #13 to LAC.

I think he could be the next Klay Thompson type player in the Jazz system. If the Jazz believe he could be the next Klay Thompson then I think we need to be open to doing even more.

Last year we gave up a lottery pick (Lyles) and #24 to get Donovan and the franchise was changed forever! If we don't believe Ricky Rubio is going to be a piece that can fit long term beside Donovan and Rudy then why run him back next year just to not resign him the year after? Especially if he can be used to get Huerter and future assets this draft and this off-season!

I say we flip him to Phoenix now for #16 and a perhaps a future pick or #31 (preferably the Miami pick- I think Phoenix is desperate enough to change their franchise course dramatically and Ricky would do it for them, and perhaps Igor who loves Ricky could convince them to trade significant assets to do it.) Then we pick Huerter at #16, and still have #21 to pick another player we like: Okobo, Robinson, Diop or perhaps even trade down while dropping Burks to clear more cap spcae, say #21 for #30 to Atlanta if they take on Burks.

I know that is a lot, but dropping $27M in salaries and picking up significant young pieces puts us in great position in the off-season to be a destination option for players if things don't work out.

What if Paul George decides to stay in OKC because they offer the full 5 year deal? What does Lebron do then? Not saying Lebron is coming but if Lebron goes to LA its not like we couldn't pick up a bought out George Hill for 1 year, Kevin Love will be available, and others. Heck, even if we don't pick up any stars this off-season we can take on peoples 1 year dead money to get more picks to do deals in the future.

We could then go to Orlando and offer our 1st rounder in 2019 and say Jae Crowder to allow us to sign Aaron Gordon to a 5/$100M deal.

All this starts with being agressive at the draft and getting the next piece, not a end of the bench rotation guy. Huerter is that piece!!!!!!

I don't think anyone is giving a first round pick for Rubio. Pretty much every team is set at point guard, and the ones that aren't are lottery teams. Maybe Phoenix would give #31.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1111 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:24 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
blackham9258 wrote:Kevin Huerter Is the guy we need to pull out all the stops to get!

I don't think anyone is giving a first round pick for Rubio. Pretty much every team is set at point guard, and the ones that aren't are lottery teams. Maybe Phoenix would give #31.

I really don’t like trading Rubio for an unknown like Huerter.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#1112 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm

#LockeWatch : he had a full episode on Grayson Allen and Donte DiVincenzo.. haven't listened to it yet. Will include synopsis later.

https://www.lockedonjazz.net/jazz/mock-draft-showing-who-utah-jazz-will-choose-from-breakdowns-of-grayson-allen-and-donte-divincenzo/

Highlights:
- Not sold on Mikal Bridges
- Lonnie Walker - he likes him, he can ball
- Dzenan Musa - very active offensive player, long and can handle, can play in Quin's system. young... need to do intel...
- Mitchell Robinson - not the kind of center we would get
- Melvin Frazier - he likes him... (this is a continuous theme with Locke)

Grayson Allen :

- portions of 4 games - "I just about went all in on him watching the game vs Georgia Tech.".... Locke REALLY REALLY likes him.
- Likes him better off-ball but he likes that he can play on ball too.
- This is the player he doesn't want the Warriors or Boston to get.
- Elite NBA athlete.
- Not good isolation player - not great wiggle.
- can attack closeouts, moves well without the ball, quick release on his shot
- can handle
- pull up jumpshot needs to be better
- his game lines up better with the NBA game than college game.
- 22 years old...
- have to do homework on his tripping and stuff...
- defensively - "heard the complaints, I didn't see it"

Donte DiVincenzo:
- age again...
- what concerns him - he was the 37th high school guard in the country and the 124th prospect. He thinks we know the players now in high school. Seems like he's not a fan of late bloomers(weird with the Mitchell's rise and all)
- elite athlete, fearless...
- similar to Allen - can play on and off the ball... Allen better on ball...
- disconcerting FT% 70%
- DiVincenzo's stats are much better on ball than Allen(this doesn't fit with his evaluation of Allen being better on ball).
- Synergy numbers in half-court - far better than Allen... again - this goes directly against what he just said to begin his evaluation
- both are average shooters, not great shooters
- DiVincenzo - better on pull ups off the dribble - again... goes directly against what he said (that Allen is better on ball).
- not great in iso - 5/18

We are in deep trouble... he loves Allen. This is the new Aaron Gordon/Trey Lyles/Tony Bradley...
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#1113 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:30 pm

There isn't a single thing that Allen projects to be better at in the NBA than Donte in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1114 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm

stitches wrote:#LockeWatch : he had a full episode on Grayson Allen and Donte DiVincenzo.. haven't listened to it yet. Will include synopsis later.

https://www.lockedonjazz.net/jazz/mock-draft-showing-who-utah-jazz-will-choose-from-breakdowns-of-grayson-allen-and-donte-divincenzo/

Highlights:
- Not sold on Mikal Bridges
- Lonnie Walker - he likes him, he can ball
- Dzenan Musa - very active offensive player, long and can handle, can play in Quin's system. young... need to do intel...
- Mitchell Robinson - not the kind of center we would get
- Melvin Frazier - he likes him... (this is a continuous theme with Locke)

Grayson Allen :

- portions of 4 games - "I just about went all in on him watching the game vs Georgia Tech.".... Locke REALLY REALLY likes him.
- Likes him better off-ball but he likes that he can play on ball too.
- This is the player he doesn't want the Warriors or Boston to get.
- Elite NBA athlete.
- Not good isolation player - not great wiggle.
- can attack closeouts, moves well without the ball, quick release on his shot
- can handle
- pull up jumpshot needs to be better
- his game lines up better with the NBA game than college game.
- 22 years old...
- have to do homework on his tripping and stuff...
- defensively - "heard the complaints, I didn't see it"

Donte DiVincenzo:
- age again...
- what concerns him - he was the 37th high school guard in the country and the 124th prospect. He thinks we know the players now in high school. Seems like he's not a fan of late bloomers(weird with the Mitchell's rise and all)
- elite athlete, fearless...
- similar to Allen - can play on and off the ball... Allen better on ball...
- disconcerting FT% 70%
- DiVincenzo's stats are much better on ball than Allen(this doesn't fit with his evaluation of Allen being better on ball).
- Synergy numbers in half-court - far better than Allen... again - this goes directly against what he just said to begin his evaluation
- both are average shooters, not great shooters
- DiVincenzo - better on pull ups off the dribble - again... goes directly against what he said (that Allen is better on ball).
- not great in iso - 5/18

We are in deep trouble... he loves Allen. This is the new Aaron Gordon/Trey Lyles/Tony Bradley...

Well except for the fact that Aaron Gordon is a stud.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#1115 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Jazz among teams that use analytics the most in the draft:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23762871/rockets-spurs-celtics-most-analytical-draft-teams-nba
6. Utah Jazz: Since joining the Jazz in 2012 following his tenure with the (wait for it) San Antonio Spurs, general manager Dennis Lindsey has built a highly competitive team through the draft, including finding values such as Rudy Gobert (27th pick) and Donovan Mitchell (13th pick), as well as undrafted players such as Joe Ingles and Royce O'Neale.
stitches
RealGM

Post#1116 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Here's what ESPN's analytics models say about the prospects:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections

They also say Okobo is overrated :| Lonnie Walker too... :-?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1117 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

KBD high on the list, he's still the guy I want.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1118 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#1119 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well that would make SL boring... PASS!
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1120 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well that would make SL boring... PASS!

Yerp and I bought tickets for Summer League! I think Huerter is a tad bit overrated.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz