NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Re: NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#1121 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm

stitches wrote:Here's what ESPN's analytics models say about the prospects:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections

They also say Okobo is overrated :| Lonnie Walker too... :-?

No Okobo, Walker (amazing) or Huerter on this list, odd. I would love to see an analysis of these types of projections 3-5 years later and see how accurate they are. Analytics like this is probably why the Jazz were so crazy about Bradley, whereas if they would have just lifted their heads above the numbers they would have realized that there is precious little need for a non-rim protecting, plodding big in the NBA these days.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1122 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:46 pm

That’s unfortunate about Huerter...if he’s there at 21 and we still draft Allen I’ll be pissed.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#1123 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:No Okobo, Walker (amazing) or Huerter on this list, odd. I would love to see an analysis of these types of projections 3-5 years later and see how accurate they are. Analytics like this is probably why the Jazz were so crazy about Bradley, whereas if they would have just lifted their heads above the numbers they would have realized that there is precious little need for a non-rim protecting, plodding big in the NBA these days.

Here's last years:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19681478/most-likely-all-stars-starters-role-players-top-2017-nba-draft

Not a great start:

Donovan Mitchell all-star - 0.15%

Frank Ntilikina all star - 13.9%

Kuzma all-star 0.06%
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#1124 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm

KqWIN wrote:That’s unfortunate about Huerter...if he’s there at 21 and we still draft Allen I’ll be pissed.

His finger issue was known and he played much of last season with the issue and still impressed with his shooting at the combine and workouts with it. The fans will rage if Allen is taken over quite a few players, including Huerter.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#1125 » by blackham9258 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm

This news about Huerter is perhaps the best possible news if we were the ones to promise him. Hopefully it will disuade other teams from picking him and we can scoop him up at 21! Perfect timing for us! I still think we need to move up at least with Milwakee to get him. Milwakee doesnt have 2nd rounders in either of the next two drafts, maybe that and Tony Bradley gets it done.

Make it happen DL. This guy will be a key piece of the puzzle. All this Grayson Allen and Divencenzo talk is silly, none of them touch the celing of a Huerter!

He is the next Klay Thompson. He is a killer!

You guys need to go listen to Cole Zwicker of Ode to Oden one of the best draft prognosticators out there since Givony left for Espn.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#1126 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 pm

blackham9258 wrote:This news about Huerter is perhaps the best possible news if we were the ones to promise him. Hopefully it will disuade other teams from picking him and we can scoop him up at 21! Perfect timing for us! I still think we need to move up at least with Milwakee to get him. Milwakee doesnt have 2nd rounders in either of the next two drafts, maybe that and Tony Bradley gets it done.

Make it happen DL. This guy will be a key piece of the puzzle. All this Grayson Allen and Divencenzo talk is silly, none of them touch the celing of a Huerter!

He is the next Klay Thompson. He is a killer!

You guys need to go listen to Cole Zwicker of Ode to Oden one of the best draft prognosticators out there since Givony left for Espn.

I don't get the Huerter love, he's Gordon Hayward not Klay, he will take a long time to develop and we will be lucky if he pans out to be the next Gordon Hayward.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1127 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 pm

I don’t understand why Huerter will take longer to develop than anyone else at 21. He’s already an NBA athlete, has a skill that every team needs, and is a very smart passer who doesn’t take long to make decisions. I’m not sure how many guys there are more ready to step into Quin’s system than Huerter. Defensively, sure, but how many rookies are ready to contribute as defenders. Not many, especially in the mid to late first round.

I'm not going to hide that I'm the Huerter stan on this forum, but I have yet to see an argument that truly presents a concern to me. His size, athleticism, ability to contribute right away etc are not things that concern me.

Also, I know it’s become a thing around here to rewrite Gordon Hayward history, but he developed so quickly. By the end of his rookie season he was already a good player who was contributing. From ages 21-23 Hayward was a better player than Klay imo. It’s just so weird to use an all star as a derogatory comparison.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1128 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Gordon developed quickly into what a lot of us thought he would be, a 3rd scoring team star, it took a lot of work for him to 2nd scoring team star. Klay developed into a star a lot quicker. Huerter could go either way and thats great but don't be surprised if he takes a while to develop, he has to gain 15 lbs of muscle to even compete and will that weight take away his athleticism.
Ingles is cooked.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#1129 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm

I finally translated my Spektral Phase Rules to English.
So, I rise to ad hoc troll exceptis excipiendis from rule 1), I send all of you a Spectral farewell and I get into Phase again.
Aiyä!

Furthermore, I consider Tolliver should be signed.

And Grayson Allen, be drafted as well.
We need somebody with this sort of personality... all of our players are bit too much of a nice guys:
ImageImageImage

Addendo1:
stitches wrote:Image

http://foros.acb.com/viewtopic.php?p=30737126#p30735952

Stitches is becoming a world wide influencer.
May Tolliver look after us...

Addendo2: Why you disabled the Private Messages option, Stitches? I tried first to send this to you by PM and when impossible, I added it here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPEKTRAL PHASE RULES
Spoiler:
1)-During this Phase (undetermined), El Hespíritu won't post openly, (with a few troll ad hoc exceptis excipiendis) but by Private Messages.

2)-All users (obviously) are entitled to give or don't give feedback to those PMs, openly or privately. In no manner El Hespíritu will consider lack of feedback as an evidence of unpoliteness or disgust towards him.

3)- Every El Hespíritu PMs, inside or outside Phase, are total or partially quotable, at any Forum page o SSMM platform, for any use, without any need to adjudicate him the authory, nor copyright claim neither confidentiallity fault.

4)-El Hespíritu will keep that confidentiallity, saving being especifically entitled by his correspondant.

5)-Any user quoting some El Hespíritu PM (as a ouija), becomes empowered with invocative skills and leaves El Hespíritu automathically in debt with him, to be reckoned at any desired time and form.

Epigraph: Reasons why El Hespíritu gets in and out from Phase belong entirely to Real Life hazards.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: RE: Re: NBA 2018 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#1130 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 pm

GobertReport wrote:Gordon developed quickly into what a lot of us thought he would be, a 3rd scoring team star, it took a lot of work for him to 2nd scoring team star. Klay developed into a star a lot quicker. Huerter could go either way and thats great but don't be surprised if he takes a while to develop, he has to gain 15 lbs of muscle to even compete and will that weight take away his athleticism.
I don't agree with anything you are saying. Klay to this point still is not a star and has never been a better player than Hayward in my opinion. If anyone is a system player it is Klay Thompson and he benefits more than anyone from playing with Steph, Green and Durant. He wouldn't be viewed in the same light on a different team because he is not good at creating his own shot. Hayward on the other hand would shoot lights out with the same looks that Klay gets but is better at everything else offensively and similar defensively.

As far as Heurter goes he doesn't have to gain any weight to compete. Obviously he needs to get stronger over time but that doesn't mean that he still can't contribute right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#1131 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 pm

sipclip wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Gordon developed quickly into what a lot of us thought he would be, a 3rd scoring team star, it took a lot of work for him to 2nd scoring team star. Klay developed into a star a lot quicker. Huerter could go either way and thats great but don't be surprised if he takes a while to develop, he has to gain 15 lbs of muscle to even compete and will that weight take away his athleticism.
I don't agree with anything you are saying. Klay to this point still is not a star and has never been a better player than Hayward in my opinion. If anyone is a system player it is Klay Thompson and he benefits more than anyone from playing with Steph, Green and Durant. He wouldn't be viewed in the same light on a different team because he is not good at creating his own shot. Hayward on the other hand would shoot lights out with the same looks that Klay gets but is better at everything else offensively and similar defensively.

As far as Heurter goes he doesn't have to gain any weight to compete. Obviously he needs to get stronger over time but that doesn't mean that he still can't contribute right now.

I guess if Keita Bates Diop and Hutchison are off the board at 21 then I like Huerter.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1132 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 pm

GobertReport wrote:
sipclip wrote:

I guess if Keita Bates Diop and Hutchison are off the board at 21 then I like Huerter.

This draft has so many guys to choose from that I am having a hard time narrowing down my choice. Right now I'm leaning towards Simons. I feel like if he would have ended up playing college ball this year he would have been pretty dominant as a scorer and we would be talking about him in the top 10. He is the one guy at where we are picking that I believe has star potential in this league. Even the downside isn't that low in my opinion because he has good size and length and is an elite athlete to go along with being very skilled offensively. To me the downside could be a better shooting Jordan Crawford who I personally believe has gotten screwed over during his career and is absolutely an nba player.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#1133 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Wait....we’re comparing Huerter to Hayward like that’s a bad thing? And we could possibly get him with a pick in the 20’s? Count me in for a vote in Huerter! A large wing is what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1134 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Right now here is my big board with players that I think have a chance to be there when we pick.

Simons
Divincenzo
Okobo
Troy Brown
Heurter
KBD
Spellman
Trent
Hutchison
Shamet
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#1135 » by WinterSoldier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Huerter, Allen, Donte I can't find any precedent for success with them. I compiled a list of the closest players like them in the last 10 drafts.
Luke Kennard
Tyler Lydon
Sam Dekker
Pat Connaughton
Nik Stauskas
Joe Harris
Nate Wolters
Jimmer Fredette
Chandler Parsons
Luke Babbitt
Andy Rautins
Chase Budinger
Nick Calathes
Joe Alexander
I just can't see how they're going to be different? the only success I could find was Hayward.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1136 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Wait....we’re comparing Huerter to Hayward like that’s a bad thing? And we could possibly get him with a pick in the 20’s? Count me in for a vote in Huerter! A large wing is what we need.

I definitely wouldn't throw the Hayward comparison out there. Dan Majerle on the other hand may be a good comparison.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1137 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 pm

WinterSoldier wrote:Huerter, Allen, Donte I can't find any precedent for success with them. I compiled a list of the closest players like them in the last 10 drafts.
Luke Kennard
Tyler Lydon
Sam Dekker
Pat Connaughton
Nik Stauskas
Joe Harris
Nate Wolters
Jimmer Fredette
Chandler Parsons
Luke Babbitt
Andy Rautins
Chase Budinger
Nick Calathes
Joe Alexander
I just can't see how they're going to be different? the only success I could find was Hayward.

Obviously we won't know for sure but I feel like Huerter and Donte bring more to the table than most of those guys. A better blend size, skill and athleticism than most of them.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#1138 » by WinterSoldier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 pm

sipclip wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:Huerter, Allen, Donte I can't find any precedent for success with them. I compiled a list of the closest players like them in the last 10 drafts.
Luke Kennard
Tyler Lydon
Sam Dekker
Pat Connaughton
Nik Stauskas
Joe Harris
Nate Wolters
Jimmer Fredette
Chandler Parsons
Luke Babbitt
Andy Rautins
Chase Budinger
Nick Calathes
Joe Alexander

Obviously we won't know for sure but I feel like Huerter and Donte bring more to the table than most of those guys. A better blend size, skill and athleticism than most of them.

Maybe, You are correct and they break the mold, it just makes me nervous when I can't find many successful archetypes.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#1139 » by sipclip » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 am

WinterSoldier wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Luke Kennard
Tyler Lydon
Sam Dekker
Pat Connaughton
Nik Stauskas
Joe Harris
Nate Wolters
Jimmer Fredette
Chandler Parsons
Luke Babbitt
Andy Rautins
Chase Budinger
Nick Calathes
Joe Alexander

Maybe, You are correct and they break the mold, it just makes me nervous when I can't find many successful archetypes.
If you want to go with the current white guy comparisons then the Bogdonovich brothers compare favorably to Heurter and Tyler Johnson for Donte although I feel like Donte is a better shooter than him. All 3 of those are solid NBA players though and I would love to have them on the jazz.

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#1140 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:18 am

Went and watched film of our future pick Grayson. He was much more athletic than I thought he would be. I’d have to go watch a ton of other film of the guys in our draft area to see if I like them better, but I would not compare him to Jimmer or Reddick as some have said. He was slashing and driving to the rim and getting fouls. I don’t think he is going to be some amazing star, but I can see how if he plays in space he could be more effective. And I can see why the Jazz probably do like him as his game probably will translate in Quine switching system. Again....haven’t watched everyone else yet.

Return to Utah Jazz