Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,389

Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#1 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:04 am

?????

Silence has been defining/deafening. I for one am all about the trade up for DM. Who thinks Trey is going to have a decent NBA career? I really don't know. He could be in China as easily as a rotation player on a ho-hum team? A bad pick for the Jazz or a net benefit in trade? On the other hand I think he might be a player but the upgrade to DM was worth the gamble? I'd do a poll but too lazy, as is this post in the dog days. Plus, just posting an avatar on this site is byzantine so not even touching polls.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Re: Just curious. Who misses Trey Lyles right now? 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 am

Lyles was never a large enough part of the Jazz to be missed. He might be an ok player down the road, but he hasn't done much to be missed. I'm critical of DL on many occasions, but trading from 24 to 13 by attaching Lyles was a good move by him, when it comes to value. The fact that Mitchell looks real good makes that trade look even better. We should trade with the Nuggets on every draft.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#3 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote: We should trade with the Nuggets on every draft.

No doubt. I just find it interesting how us fans collectively threw in the towel on Trey after last season. He is so young - seems like he should have been given more of a chance? That said, I'm on the Spida train. Will be interesting to see if Trey finds a better fit in Denver.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#4 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Trey Lyles has some potential, but he was truly awful last season and I don't think he was in the right headspace. The move was good for both sides. Some players need a fresh start, hopefully Denver can provide that for Trey.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#5 » by Paper Face » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 pm

I look at it this way:

If we hadn't drafted Lyles we would now most likely have Booker + whomever the Jazz would have drafted at 24 instead of Mitchell.

I think I'm going to be pretty happy with how things turned out.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I think his potential is really high. He showed great instincts with the ball in his hands his rookie year, and to start last season seemed to be on track to continue that development (specifically talking about November and December when there were issues, but issues that you would hope he would have slowly addressed as the season went on, rather than falling off a cliff). But the question is, was the 13th pick in this draft worth more than the 13th pick in that draft (with the difference being the 24th pick). In a vacuum, it's really hard to tell. With Booker still available when we pick Lyles (and near universal assumption that that was our pick if he was going to be available) my gut instinct is "no." But if the question is "was the difference between the potential of Lyles and the 13th pick worth the 24th pick" I think my answer is "yes." So...it all depends on how you look at it. I miss him, I think he would be a great fit next to Rudy in a year or two, but Mitchell (to me) is the higher potential player. If you assume all things are equal, I had Mitchell at 10th on my big board this year, and didn't have Lyles 10th the year he was drafted (he was in the 12-17 range, don't remember exactly where).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#7 » by Luigi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm

I wonder who will take his spot as the done nothing third stringer that deserves to start, also Snyder is an idiot.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#8 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Donovan was the one player I wanted. He was the one player I was willing to trade up for and lose assets. I'm more than happy the trade happened. And I agree that a trade was good for both sides.

Had free agency been first I think DL would have traded Favs and gotten back another asset instead of Lyles. And I don't think they would have traded for Rubio. I think they would have wanted to throw out a lineup of Exum, Donovan, Hood, Lyles, Gobert and just seen what happened. Total rebuild instead of the partial rebuild thing we're doing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 pm

The craziest part of the trade for Denver was after when they drafted Lydon and signed Millsap. So Millsap, Faried, Hernangomez, Lydon are all primarily PF's. Why exactly did they want or need Lyles?

Meanwhile they're forced to choose between 35 year old Jameer Nelson or a 2nd year SG as their starting PG and Wilson Chandler is their only natural SF this season. A terrible trade followed up by very poor roster management by Denver.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm

The_Hater wrote:The craziest part of the trade for Denver was after when they drafted Lydon and signed Millsap. So Millsap, Faried, Hernangomez, Lydon are all primarily PF's. Why exactly did they want or need Lyles?

Meanwhile they're forced to choose between 35 year old Jameer Nelson or a 2nd year SG as their starting PG and Wilson Chandler is their only natural SF this season. A terrible trade followed up by very poor roster management by Denver.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that Denver traded for Lyles because they were putting together a package to trade for Paul George. If I remember right Indiana was interested in Lyles at draft time. Could be wrong. Maybe they wanted him thinking they would flip him and a few guys?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#11 » by zero24gravity » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Who?
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#12 » by MeestR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 pm

If he rides the bench like he did for us last year till his contract is up, then no, we won't miss him. But he has the strength and size and talent to become a serviceable rebounder and big body player off the bench and have a good career. He wasn't what we were looking for here though. I see him being somewhat like Kosta Koufos - a good career, but never much attention beyond signing another contract with another team.

He won't be missed, not because he isn't good, but because there are many others who are just like him.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#13 » by sipclip » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:04 am

It is hard to miss him when you see how Mitchell looked in the summer league. I still think he has a bright future in this league but the nugs are a rough spot for him to go to because of their pf depth. They are loaded at that position with Millsap, Faried, Hernangomez, Arthur and Lydon all possibly seeing minutes at that spot.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#14 » by Dry Fly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Lyles has skills no doubt, but a non rebounding non defending stretch 4 in this league has to be a shooting marksman to make it in this league.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#15 » by stitches » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:33 pm

I will miss his bench celebrations the most. And this should tell you all you need to know.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#16 » by eLo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 am

maybe we wont miss him but kid can have decent nba carrer, his last season was poor but Snyder did not give him much occasion to show what he is worth, same with Neto, Jingles second season also with limited minutes looks not so great, overall its not like Snyder is such master mind in evaluating talents
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#17 » by Luigi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 am

eLo wrote:maybe we wont miss him but kid can have decent nba carrer, his last season was poor but Snyder did not give him much occasion to show what he is worth, same with Neto, Jingles second season also with limited minutes looks not so great, overall its not like Snyder is such master mind in evaluating talents

At some point, we gotta take a long look at our talent and put some blame on the lack thereof.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#18 » by TO11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 am

eLo wrote:maybe we wont miss him but kid can have decent nba carrer, his last season was poor but Snyder did not give him much occasion to show what he is worth, same with Neto, Jingles second season also with limited minutes looks not so great, overall its not like Snyder is such master mind in evaluating talents

I thought Lyles had AMPLE opportunities to show any sign of life. There are limited minutes in a game and with the sweet kind of garbage Lyles was playing, I think he actually got lucky to get as many minutes as he did. Towards the end of the season when the team was preparing for the playoffs I think Quin stopped playing him because he could tell that he wasn't going to be part of the rotation, but even when he did get a few minutes in garbage time, he still looked awful.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#19 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:26 am

If somebody sucks it's always the coaches fault!!!!
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#20 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 am

KqWIN wrote:If somebody sucks it's always the coaches fault!!!!

Lyles is an NBA player. But he obviously didn't have what it takes to stick with the Jazz especially while salivating over DM. I'm not writing off Lyles based on his sophomore year just yet. I also don't expect him to become a "Jazz killer" anytime soon. Never loved the pick when it happened - seemed like over-reaching given you-know-who was still on the board. But Spida may make this bad feeling go away. Time will tell. Jazz have not been awesome in the lottery range for many years. Maybe Ex and Spida can be some redemption?

Return to Utah Jazz